The Internet Does More Harm Than Good

1st Round Acceptance.

I will argue that the Existence of the Internet/The Web, is helpful, and while doing slight harm, provides more good than bad.

Look forward to a intelligent debate.

Thanks Guys!

I accept the position it does more bad than good.

On a side note, I am addicted to the internet, and I'm trying hard to live without it.

Thank you Pro for accepting this debate. I admire you for attempting to quit your Internet addiction.

For the following reasons the Internet does more good than harm.

Contention #1: Correlation Does Not Prove Causation.

This is one of the most and logical Philosophies ever. It has yet to be refuted. This basically states a logic that just because the alphabet can be used to write insults, it doesn't make it a bad thing, and doesn't prove anything special. For example, I have a really big head. One of my friends has a really small head. But he is way smarter than I am. So just because I have a bigger head it doesn't mean that I am smarter. This is what this Philosophy is stating.

This can be used as a example for this debate as well.
The internet is not completely safe. No has and/or ever say it is. So simply just because the Internet, has bad things, it doesn't mean there are insufficient good things to balance it out. In fact there are more good things on the Internet than bad things.
I personally have a lot of people around me who's lives evolve around the internet, and yet they are still the same person as they were when hearing someone is using the internet is rare.

Bottom Line: The Internet Does More Good Than Harm.

Contention #2: Personal Development

The Internet has revolutionized the way we look to enhance living environment, and more importantly our entire lives for the better. The Internet has so many wonderful things we can do with it.

Because of the Internet we can: Find Jobs
Because of the Internet we can: Submit Resumes
Because of the Internet we can: Gain Knowledge
Because of the Internet we can: Increase Confidence
Because of the Internet we can: Connect With Other People
Because of the Internet we can: Go To School

So all these (and so many more), are helping our World, Economy, and our selves grow, and become enhanced!
Translation: We live better lives because of the internet.

So now I ask you: The internet is giving you a better life. Does it do more good than harm?

I would say YES.

Bottom Line: The Internet is helping our world grow.

Contention #3: Our world is working and has eliminated lots of negative aspects of the Internet.

1. Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 is act put in place to reduce the amount of illegal activity on the internet.

"It aims to address legal issues concerning online interactions and the Internet in the Philippines. Among the cybercrime offenses included in the bill are cybersquatting, cybersex, child pornography, identity theft, illegal access to data and libel"

2. Both Windows, and Macintosh (including iOS) OS' have security features inlace to protect, humans from Harmful and Illegal acts/uses online.
These features allow the user to control what websites and/or content the computer will be able to show. This is protecting our selves, and maybe even more importantly the future of our world - our children.

So these features are helping us, or you could even say, making us stay away from terrible thing online such as Pornography, Identity Theft, Bad Influences, ETC.

Bottom Line: Our world has and is working to eliminate bad things from the Internet.

Thanks for the compliment.

I will address your issues one at a time, and then I will go through my points.

1) Correlation Does Not Mean/Prove Causation.

I agree with the above statement of correlation not necessarily proving or meaning causation. As for you claim about the Internet being more good than bad, I disagree with you.

2) Personal Development

As for this I will address them each in letter format not to confuse with the number format I am using.

a) We could find jobs before the internet existed. If anything, this causes more problems. Not everyone has the internet, or can afford the internet. Internet causes monthly charges and fees as we all know. Therefore, if anything, finding jobs has become more expensive. People could previously just get a newspaper, which is still plausible, and look for a job.

b) Resumes can be submitted without the internet as well in person. Regardless, resumes are needed when going to a job interview.

c) The same can be done with books.

d) I would really like for you to explain your reasoning for gaining confidence via the internet. In my honest opinion, I would say it does the opposite.

e) I agree with this. We also have telephones, mail, etc. There are several ways to connect with people.

f) This I disagree with. Maybe some specific courses for College and what not, but not regular school. However, regular schools still exist.

My main point above is that all the things the internet is doing that you are stating has already existed.

As for the economy, I will agree it has benefited the economy.

3) Our world is working and has eliminated lots of negative aspects of the Internet.

3-1) Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 is act put in place to reduce the amount of illegal activity on the internet.

First thing I'd like to state is how this is only applied to the Philippines. It is not a world-wide thing. Also internet restrictions vary from country to country.

a) Cybersquatting happens quite often. That's why many companies warn about only to use the login at such and such webpage. However, this is not a big point of mine, if anything it shows problems that exist within the internet.

b) Cybersex is all over the internet. Don't believe me? Just type "live sex web cam" in any search engine and you'll get tons of websites that offer these services.

c) Child pornography is being attacked I will agree with you, but what about regular pornography? I'll address it more later in my problems with the internet.

d) I didn't know identity theft was a big issue within the internet. I don't have anything to argue about this.

e) This is everywhere. Just for an example,

3-2) Both Windows, and Macintosh (including iOS) OS' have security features in place to protect, humans from Harmful and Illegal acts/uses online.

Are you sure? Can you prove the limitations or the amount of protection it applies? For example, in Microsoft it has a block list for certain websites. This requires the specific website to be know. The child could easily bypass this like the child who bypassed Microsoft's Xbox password feature (web-link #1). I would like for you to cite the amount of security please.

Those are my comments to everything you have stated. Now I am going to go with the problems that exist because of the internet.

1) Exercise

There is a lack of exercise in today's society. Years ago when there were few electronic distractions such as video-games, internet, television, etc., people resorted to other solutions for fun - physical activity.

I would like to quote from web-link #1 - "The lack of physical activity due to the rise of new technology, especially the internet has also affected the increase of obesity in today's society. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, today one third of all adults are obese. 16 percent of children and teens are obese, a number which has tripled since 1980. ".

So how does this correlate with the internet? Lets read the quote from web-link #2 - "The origins of the Internet date back to research commissioned by the United States government in the 1960s to build robust, fault-tolerant communication via computer networks. While this work, together with work in the United Kingdom and France, led to important precursor networks, they were not the Internet. There is no consensus on the exact date when the modern Internet came into being, but sometime in the early to mid-1980s is considered reasonable. From that point, the network experienced decades of sustained exponential growth as generations of institutional, personal, and mobile computers were connected to it.

The funding of a new U.S. backbone by the National Science Foundation in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial backbones, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks. Though the Internet has been widely used by academia since the 1980s, the commercialization of what was by the 1990s an international network resulted in its popularization and incorporation into virtually every aspect of modern human life."

There we have a correlation of things such as the internet arriving in the 1980's and much more substantially used in our present time, with the rising number of obesity. It is not solely the internet to blame, video games and other things have causes these numbers to rise. However, the internet does contribute towards this trend as stated.

2) Black markets

These are illegal and are being taken down over time. I will admit to that. However, the internet has made it extremely easy to set one up. All you have to do is create a web page. There was a very famous one of these websites called the silk road. Check the resources out and you'll see how it was created (resource #1), as well as how it finally got stopped. They had tons of things for sale on their market, such as guns, drugs, etc.

A more recent one is Bit coin. To quote from the web-link #2 - "In 2012, it was estimated that 4.5% to 9% of all transactions of all bit coin exchanges in the world were for drugs trades on a single deep web drugs market, Silk Road.[151] The bulk of bit coin purchases during the time were speculative in nature,[151] so drugs must have constituted a greater percentage of the actual goods purchased with bit coins c. 2012. Silk Road was shut by US law enforcement in October 2013 leading to a short-term fall in the value of bit coin.[152] Alternative sites were soon available, and in early 2014 the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported that the closure of the Silk Road had little impact on the number of Australians selling drugs online, which had actually increased.[153]

Several news outlets have asserted that the popularity of bit coins hinges on the ability to use them to purchase illegal goods.[154] Non-drug transactions were thought to be far less than the number involved in the purchase of drugs,[155] and roughly one half of all transactions made using bit coin c. 2013 were bets placed at a single online gambling website.[156] One source stated online gun dealers use bit coin to sell arms without background checks.[157] The bit coin community branded one site, Sheep Marketplace, as a scam when it prevented withdrawals and shut down after an alleged bit coins theft.[158] In a separate case, escrow accounts with bit coins belonging to patrons of a different black market were hacked in early 2014.[159]"

The interesting thing about that quote is it refers back to the Silk Road which I talked about previously.

There are other things I'd like to address, but I don't want your post to go over the Character limit. I also would like to again thank you for the debate, and may the LORD GOD bless you.

Thanks Pro for your response.

To continue, I will answer all Pro's questions/requests as well refute his counter arguments and his main arguments.

---Pro's Requests---

1: "I would really like for you to explain your reasoning for gaining confidence via the internet. In my honest opinion, I would say it does the opposite." You're right -- I should've elaborated more.

We can gain for confidence, by the many resources the internet provides for us.

-Online Therapy/Counselling
-Reduce feelings of isolation (If you live alone) and fell more connected the world around you
-Ability to become closer to distant relatives

2: "This I disagree with. Maybe some specific courses for College and what not, but not regular school. However, regular schools still exist."

With the internet, its not just "pecific courses for College and what not" because there are so many different courses, that you can take online, in fact you can even take your entire University or College education online. (Depending on your post University/College Goal)

Pro States "but not regular school" -- What do you mean? Is College or University not regular school? I would say it is perfectly normal form of school.

1: Pro states that "People could previously just get a newspaper, which is still plausible, and look for a job."

Yes that is true, however it is inarguably true that there are more job postings currently on the internet that people could apply for than there are in a daily newspaper.

This makes the Internet a more viable way to find work.
My point "Because of the Internet we can: Find Jobs" stands true.

2: Pro refutes my point "Because of the Internet we can: Submit Resumes" by saying " Resumes can be submitted without the internet as well in person."

Yes, BUT, again there are more job postings on the internet than you could find driving around town for a hour or two.
So the internet is a more efficient and better way to submit resumes.

My point "Because of the Internet we can: Submit Resumes" stands true.

3: Pro refute me saying the with internet we can gain more knowledge by stating "The same can be done with books.".

Yes! True! But, there is 1.3 trillion of data in cyberspace that is accessible to all of us. WHICH, is more than a entire library full of books.

So the internet has more knowledge that can be gained, than a local library and definitely a book shelf at your house!

My point "Because of the Internet we can: Gain Knowledge" stands true.

4: Pro says: "Are you sure? Can you prove the limitations or the amount of protection it applies? "

Yes I am sure. I will prove this now, via link 2 & 3.

Microsoft has a web filtering option, that allows the system to block certain sites or content automatically, without the Administrator having to imply certain webpages him/her self.

Macintosh has a in depth parental controls feature which allows the administrator, to manually or automatically block bad websites and can even set up the mac to block profanity in the dictionary.

So these are my refutals to your counter arguments and now I will move on to some comments on your arguments on why the Internet does more bad than good.

---Refutals (2)---

1. Internet causes obesity

While internet may play a role in this there are other MAJOR FACTORS, that contribute to obesity among people even some that have to do with Technology but not with the internet.

- Video Games.

So many kids and even adults play video games. However this is not the internet. This is a game. Not the web.

91% percent of kids in the US play video games. That number is simply astounding. That is 91% of the kids in America have the chance to become so immersed into these games, and have a lack of physical activity, as pro has said...

"There is a lack of exercise in today's society. "

BUT! This is not as a result of the presence of the internet.

- Lifestyle Choices

We all know that if you make bad lifestyle choice your bound to become a physically bigger person.

Such as:
Eating high fat foods
Eating bigger portions than are needed
Not taking the time to go out and get some exercise

So the way you live your life and how you eat, your work, and how you govern and control your self is another big way that can contribute, to people becoming obese.

Not the internet!!

- Medical Conditions/Reasons

Lots of people have certain conditions or have medical reasons which can make them obese or complicate the process for become slimmer.

Certain Anti-Depressants can significantly contribute to weight gain.

To affirm this lets check out a quote from web link 5.

"Experts say that for up to 25% of people, most antidepressant medications -- including the popular SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs like Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft -- can cause a weight gain of 10 pounds or more."

Certain Pills/Methods to quitting smoking, have some impact on gaining weight.

To affirm this statement, lets look at a quote from web link 6.

"On average, say French and British researchers, people may gain about 10 lbs. after kicking the habit. That"s substantially higher than the roughly 6 lbs. often quoted in quit-smoking literature handed out to smokers, and double the 5 lbs. that many female smokers report being willing to tolerate before attempting to quit, according to the authors."

From my own personal experience I have had some relatives of mine quit smoking and I can tell you that, we looked at their clothes from when they were smoking and after they did quit, and we couldn't believe the difference.

2. Black Market

Yes there are Black Markets, online and they are, infiltrating our the peace of the online world.

I can't refute the existence of them because as that would be lying.

However I can state, that our Law Enforcement system is working and is taking down these sites online and physically in our world. Even pro stated that Silk Road was taken down. So if our Internet Law Enforcers can take down one of the biggest previous, black market sites in the world, they can definitely squish these other little sites that as attempting to thrive, like a bug!

With the entire above arguments, Con has agreed with a lot of my points in my previous argument, and I have refuted his reasoning for everything, that he has disagreed with me on. As well, I have Refuted both of his main arguments, by stating that there are many other significant ways that contribute to obesity, even some that involve technology, but the internet itself.

Because He Lives,
Thanks Con! Over to you!

Not going to lie, I'm going to be straight up honest here.

I am forfeiting the debate. Give your votes to con.

I am just too busy and exhausted, I apologize for the wait.

I would like to personally thank Pro fro this Debate.

I would gladly debate with him again.

Sounds good, any debates on Christianity or what not I'll gladly accept.
Posted by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
My fiance comes back from Korea today so don't expect my argument for atleast 24 hours. My aplogies.
Posted by giftedplc123 2 years ago
in a way yes the internet does cause harm but on the internet you can press an off button or close down the web page if there was no internet people would still cause harm but it would be verbal and in person and can have much more horrible outcomes and so I am not disagreeing or agreeing merely posting an opinion
Posted by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
You know it >__> I couldn't resist. It'll hopefully help me quit.
Posted by Kaneo 2 years ago
You tried so hard you couldn't resist accepting this debate. ;)
Posted by Kaneo 2 years ago
This is like those YouTube channels dedicated to complaining about YouTube and all it's harms.
Posted by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
Before I accept this, I want to make sure I am in agreement with my own position :S
Posted by Kaneo 2 years ago
So much harm that Pro will be unable to debate you on it.
Posted by Astropendle 2 years ago
Lol I don't think anyone who know how to use the web is gonna disagree sorry bro