Parth_Vakil
stickaman

The Internet Of Things Outweighs Decreased Personal privacy

stickaman has forfeited round #3.
Started: 11/19/2016 Category: Technology
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Parth_Vakil

Pro

1. In the first round, we will accept the debate.
2. In the second round, we will have our arguments
3. In the third round, we will have a rebuttal speech
4. Lastly, we will have a final focus.
stickaman

Con

I'll Accept You rDeb ate
Parth_Vakil

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

First of all I would like to define the Internet Of Things as things such as devices or sensors other than computers, smartphones, or tablets that connect, communicate or transmit information with or between each other through the Internet.

My framework for this debate is that in the pyramid of social responsibility, saving lives are at the highest level which is the highest moral standard. Therefore, if the proposition, us, proves that at least one life is saved by the internet of things, then we have won this debate since personal privacy is at a lower moral standard than saving lives.

Contention 1: Health And Safety
Healthcare is a very important part of our lives, as it helps to assess and evaluate one"s Health. It can save people"s lives in certain events and can also decrease health costs.

According to the Carolina Journal Of Law And Technology, the Internet of Things includes an ever-growing list of medical devices used to improve patient care. Devices can for instance, track symptoms like Parkinson"s tremors, which provide reliable data for doctors trying to fine tune treatment. Also, there is a 25% reduction in numbers of bed days of care, a 19% reduction in numbers of hospital admissions, and mean satisfaction score rating of 86% after enrollment into the program. Also, Google Flu Trends, for example, "uses aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity" for specific geographic areas and regions.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, sensors on a car can notify drivers of dangerous road conditions, and software updates can occur wirelessly, obviating the need for consumers to visit the dealership.

The Internet of things has saved so many lives through cars and healthcare. It has also decreased crime through countless collections of data. This clearly shows why it is morally right And why it should outweigh personal privacy.

Contention 2: Public Service
There are several services which the government is obligated to give to the people. These services are aided by the internet of things which is very beneficial.

According to the Alumni Portal, the internet of things technologies can"t stop disasters from happening, but can be very useful for disaster preparedness.Take for example the monitoring of forest fires: sensors on trees can take measurements that indicate when a fire has broken out, or when there is a strong risk. Also, the internet of things can help create energy. The Internet of things application may range from a simple monitoring application to a complex application that can provide efficient use of the energy in a building while ensuring comfort in heat, electricity, and many more to building occupants.

These public services are very important to our infrastructure and can even save lives. The benefits of these services reach out to people worldwide and are powered by the Internet of things. Clearly, this should outweigh decreased personal privacy.

Contention 3: Economy
Our economy is ever growing, and it is partially powered by the Internet of things. The Impact of the internet of things is so great, that it is used in every single field of our economy including agriculture, businesses, and trade.

According to the McKinsey Global Institute, The potential economic impact of the Internet of things is going to be $ 2.7 trillion to $6.2 trillion per year by 2025, and this market will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 7.9% between now and 2020, to reach $ 8.9 trillion.

Overall, the continuation of the internet of things show great projections for the economy and will boost our economy and GDP by an immense number of points.

stickaman

Con

The InterNet helps people. This is obvioous because
A. Everyone loves the internet.
2. Everyone is on the internet.

PS stop calling it an Internet of Things. Its called the interNet.

Now first off, let me start off right now and begin by saying that if you take away the internet, like you want to do, a thing will happen which is that people will go crazy. this is a proven fact that goes back in time.

Your claim that the internet is evil is wrong because the internet has helped many people. I have read many books and articles, and have had numerous conversations with decorated doctors who concur that the internet is actually beneficial to the health of the subject. The internet helps poor African American countrys to stay updated on current events, and also other third world countrys.

This is my argument. Hopefully you will see reason and realize that destroying the internet forever is not the way to go xD
Parth_Vakil

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. However, I am personally offended by the fact that he has used offensive language on me in the comments.

I would also like to clear some things in this debate. My opponent has stated that there is no such thing as "The internet of things" However there clearly is as I have stated in my definition. The internet of things are devices or sensors other than computers, smartphones, or tablets that connect, communicate or transmit information with or between each other through the Internet. This is clearly not the same as the internet.

These are examples of the internet of things: Pacemakers, Bluetooth, Disaster detecting sensors, and many others. If my opponent is still mixed up on what the internet of things even means then he should look at this website:
https://en.wikipedia.org...

My opponent has also stated that the internet is used for many different things however this is completely unrelated to this topic as this is not the same thing as the internet of things. Additionally, my opponent has brought up NO EVIDENCE to back up his claims.

Overall, we must weigh the saving of lives through increased help in health care and public services because of the internet of things over the unrelated content that my opponent has brought up. If this itself has not won me the debate, then I have won because of my framework which clearly states that since I have proven that the internet of things has saved lives, then I have won this debate.

And for all of the reasons above I urge you all to vote for a proposition ballot.
Posted by Parth_Vakil 2 weeks ago
Parth_Vakil
Please vote pro, since the opposition has forfeited.
Posted by Parth_Vakil 2 weeks ago
Parth_Vakil
How about you search the internet of things up. Perhaps you will finally understand that there is such a thing. And please refrain from calling me an idiot. Please take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by stickaman 2 weeks ago
stickaman
"Saving human lives" is too general because it's unclear whether it refers to physically rescuing someone or doing something that would positively impact the human race

as in there are too many viable interpretations of it for your argument to be relying on its accuracy
Posted by SiliconeValley 2 weeks ago
SiliconeValley
It's the Internet of Things (aka IoT) not InterNet of Things. Idiot
Posted by stickaman 2 weeks ago
stickaman
So you're arguing that since the internet can be used to save lives, its use is worth decreased personal privacy because saving lives is the highest moral standard on the "pyramid of social responsibility"
Posted by stickaman 2 weeks ago
stickaman
What do you mean when you say the pyramid of social responsibiliity
Posted by Parth_Vakil 2 weeks ago
Parth_Vakil
Please read my arguments for this debate first, then make your judgements.

Posted by stickaman 2 weeks ago
stickaman
this guy is about to get destroyed, his argument is really dumb and i