The Internet is more useful than frustrating

Started: 3/16/2014 Category: Technology

Two years ago, I had been very excited when our family had an the Internet connection because the Internet is very useful in some aspects. First and foremost, students can utilise the resources on the Internet; and therefore, learners can turn in better work and improve their mark. Likewise, the Internet connects the world together; he Internet enables us to contact anyone with an the Internet. Nonetheless, the overuse of the Internet can cause brain damage. The Internet is very useful because it provides resources for students and makes communication between people easier.
The Internet has made communication easier around the world. In the past, sharing a file publicly seemed very hard. However, the wide use of The Internet makes it easier to share files. The benefits of using The Internet also include the fact that more people are becoming socialized. Communication/email servers offer free video or voice calls on The Internet. As a result, office workers can communicate and send files to each other with ease. This also benefits family members because they can contact each other when they are really far away. Not only do The Internet has made communication easier, but also education easier.
The Internet contains a vast variety of resources for students or parents to learn more. Although students can use encyclopaedias to help them research, The Internet is more reliable because it has more resources than the encyclopedia. According to the University of Florida, students can "relate their interests on a personal level", which encourages the independence students need. Therefore, students are motivated to do better in schools. Not only do The Internet helps students, but also helps teachers and parents. Parents who have little or no English skills can depend upon The Internet to help them. In addition, parents can be more involved in their child"s education by accessing online school resources such as library website and the school website. Students can also use The Internet if their textbook(s) do not make sense or if they need more information. In brief, The Internet is a powerful tool to help improve education for both students and parents.

Thank you Pro for this interesting topic.

As a male teenager, I spend numerous hours on the Internet for many uses.
Although internet can facilitate the lives of many, it is VERY frustrating to use at times.

Before I present my arguments, I will rebut some of my opponent's arguments.

1. Learners can turn in better work and improve their marks.
This assertion by Pro is not entirely true. Using the internet does not automatically improve the quality of the work. Pro has failed to expound how students can turn in better works and improve their marks by simply using online resources rather than others. In fact, it doesn't. For example, using primary resources can substantiate the works of the students by adding credibility to them. Also, using internet does not have any affect on the marks students receive. The grades students receive are based on the effort and quality of their works. It is ridiculous to propose that a languid student using Internet resources will receive a higher mark than an assiduous student using non-fictions and encyclopedia.

2. The Internet connects the world together.
This statement also contains some fallacy. As Pro mentioned in his arguments, internet enables one to contact anyone WITH internet. According to the International Telecommunication Union, more than 60% of the world's population do not use internet. [1] With the majority of the world without internet, I challenge Pro to justify his claim that internet connects the world together.

3. The Internet also include the fact that more people are becoming socialized.
Although people can now communicate with others more easily through the use of internet, this does not necessarily indicate more socialization. In fact, increased internet use actually decreases the amount of socialization in one's life. defines "to socialize" as "to associate or mingle sociably with others." [2] Staying in one's room in front of one's computer decreases association and mingling with others.

4. The Internet is more reliable because it has more resources than the encyclopedia.
This is absolutely not true. The internet is not reliable at all. More resources does not mean more reliable. Internet contains trillions of information of all sorts. This stupendous quantity increases the number of false information. With the availability of internet, anyone can post anything on the internet. Wikipedia, which many students rely on for information, can be modified by anyone without having to confirm their knowledge to the subject. It is possible that a six-year old could have written an article about nuclear power. The anonymity of sources definitely discredits internet.

5. According to the University of Florida, students can "relate their interests on a personal level", which encourages the independence students need.
I don't understand how this ties in to usefulness of the internet. Please explain.

6. Students are motivated to do better in schools.
This is an opinion that is not supported by any facts. Internet provides millions of distraction that lead to aversion towards school works. The internet has nothing to do with increasing motivation to do better in school.

7. Parents who have little or no English skills can depend upon The Internet to help them.
True statement but internet is NOT the best source of learning a new language. Google translator, which can also be modified by anyone, ignores numerous aspects of a language such as idiomatic expressions and connotations. It is an observable fact that Google translate often produces gibberish. Rather than using the internet, using books written by renowned and credible authors who fluently speak that language is a better choice. Obtaining a tutor or attending classes are also options that are better than using the Internet.

8. Students can also use The Internet if their textbook(s) do not make sense or if they need more information.
Textbooks are reviewed hundreds of times by revered teachers and are authorized by the government. Turning toward internet is absurd. Also, there are people called teachers available in schools from whom the students can learn.

In conclusion, many of Pro's arguments does not fully support the usefulness of internet. Many of the uses of the Internet mentioned by Pro can be seen in other, better resources.

Now for my argument...

1. Educational Difficulties
Although the Internet provides information, it is very inconvenient. With the uncertainty of sources, students are often required to spend precious time checking for credibility. They have to choose from trillions of information that may be incorrect. Also, plagiarism is a huge problematic issue. The accessibility of information through internet tempts students to simply copy and paste the website, impeding both their current educational progresses and their futures.

2. Technical Difficulties
The internet has numerous functions. To be able to learn and to utilize those benefits at ease is both time-consuming and difficult. It can be very frustrating because some of the online instructions are ambiguous.

3. Dependence on the Internet.
With the increased dependence on internet, having no internet connection becomes a huge problem. Slow internet connection or no internet connection frustrates millions everyday. People with internet connection knows the feelings of a slow Youtube video, lagging online games, and the error pages that pop up after 15 minutes of patient waiting.

I will provide more of my arguments in next round.

I await Pro's arguments.

First of all, I will refute sewook123's arguments.

1.Educational Difficulties

Students can learn that some sites are not trustworthy; and therefore, not use them. In addition, checking for credibility is not a time-taking task. Almost all teachers teach students the consequences of plagiarizing.

2.Technical Difficulties

We do not have to learn all of those functions and utilize them. The majority of those functions are not intended for every day use; they are intended for special jobs such as accountant, program developers, etc.

3.Dependence on the Internet

sewook123 said, "According to the International Telecommunication Union, more than 60% of the world's population do not use internet"; however, "Slow internet connection or no internet connection frustrates millions everyday" conflicts with the former statement. Therefore, how come the Internet does not frustrate the majority, but frustrates you and other people who have Internet.

My Arguments:

1.Online voting

Nowadays, with the use of Internet, it has become easier to vote. People can vote online at their homes.

2.Shopping online

Whenever people want to buy stuff without having to go to the store. Many people are doing that now, which means shopping online is very easy and convenient.

3. Source of Entertainment

Sewook123 said many people are frustrated when a YouTube video is not loading or when a game lags. However, they rarely do; and since those two sites are one of the main sources of entertainment on the Internet, they provide entertainment rather than frustration.

In conclusion, the Internet provides entertainment for those who are bored, online shopping and voting for those who are lazy.

Thank you for your rebuttals and your arguments.

I would like to respond to Pro's refutations.

1. "Students can learn that some sites are not trustworthy; and therefore, not use them"
How can the students know that the sites contain incorrect information when their purpose of accessing those sites is to obtain information on subjects which they have little or no knowledge? The fact that some of the information one is accessing is wrong undermines the utility of the Internet and adds frustration. Also, checking for credibility is a time consuming task that is extremely difficult. Many of the sites are created by anonymous users and feedback from other users are hard to come by. Researching about the authors who may not even exist is time consuming. In response to Pro's comment about plagiarism, I agree with Pro that most teachers teach students about the undesirable effects of plagiarism. However, students still commit plagiarism countless times. The possibility of plagiarism adds frustration to both the teachers and the students.

2. "We do not have to learn all of those functions and utilize them"
If we do not utilize the functions of the Internet, what makes it useful? Functions are there for people to use them. In order to maneuver them, people need to learn them. The process of learning is also very time consuming and the online instructions are sometimes unreliable. Although some functions are specialized for professionals as Pro stated, these professionals are still users of the Internet. They have to learn the functions and methods of manipulating them to complete complex tasks. These processes can be very frustrating for all.

3. "Therefore, how come the Internet does not frustrate the majority, but frustrates you and other people who have Internet"
As for Pro's point, the two statements, "according to the International Telecommunication Union, more than 60% of the world's population do not use Internet" and "slow Internet connection or no Internet connection frustrates millions everyday" do not conflict. There are more than 7.2 billion people in the world. [1] 60% of 7.2 billion is approximately 4.3 billion. That leaves approximately 2.9 billion, which is equivalent to 2,900 million, people using Internet. Because the majority of these people do not enjoy perfect and stable Internet connection at all times, it is safe to speculate that most, if not all of the 2.9 billion have experienced frustration from slow Internet connection. In addition, the Internet does not frustrate the majority of the world because the majority does not have access to the Internet. I have NEVER stated that the Internet frustrates the majority of the WORLD. To provoke some thinking, can't it be argued that frustrations from the lack of the Internet are caused by the Internet itself? If this is true, then most of the 7.2 billion have been frustrated by the Internet.

The Pro has actually acknowledged the frustration of the Internet: "frustrates you and other people who have Internet."

Now I will rebut Pro's arguments.

1. Online Voting
First of all, "vote" is defined as "the official choice that you make in an election, meeting, etc., by casting a ballot, raising your hand, speaking your choice aloud, etc." by Merriam-Webster. [2] This means that vote includes anything from a ballot from a federal election to raising one's hand in favour of a trivial decision in one's classrooms. Internet did facilitated voting but only slightly. In 2012, less than 60% of Americans voted in the federal election. [3] In contrast, in 2008, approximately 61% of Americans voted. [4] Despite the claim by Pro that people can vote more easily by Internet, it actually decreased the number of voters. In addition, online voting contains several risks of hacking. Also, there are other methods, such as televoting, that facilitates voting.

2. Shopping Online
First, I would like a solid evidence that clearly indicates that most people are buying stuffs online. Although purchasing certain products have been facilitated by the use of the Internet, it does not eliminate the needs of going to the grocery store to buy fresh food. One cannot purchase fresh milk online. Also, the added costs of shipping and the potential of scam increment the frustration of buying objects online.

3. Source of Entertainment
Pro has also stated a heavily opinionated statement: "Youtube videos and online games rarely lag." Numerous people, including myself, can testify that Youtube videos and online games actually lag often. Especially in the suburbs and in the developing countries, the Internet connection rarely works. The frustration of having to wait 15 minutes for a 1 minute video
may overshadow the minute pleasure experienced by the users.

Now for my argument.

1. Dangers
With an increased role of the Internet in our society, the danger from it also increased significantly. It is not uncommon to be contacted by seemingly "secure and false proof" companies that one's personal information has been stolen. Numerous companies and the governments suffer from frustration of having to constantly combat hacker from accessing confidential files.

I await Pro's response.

I will first refute sewook123's arguments.

1.There are many sites on the Internet which provide true information. Many universities offer great resources for students who are researching. Based on my personal experiences, I found that universities give very detailed information about a specific subject. Universities also give valuable statistics that can be used to prove information.

2.In fact, many, if not all, complicated functions are designed for professionals. The Internet is not like a computer, or a program such as Microsoft Excel. Microsoft Excel is way more complicated than the Internet.

3. I did not meant voting; I meant online voting. In case you did not know, online voting is the act of going on the Internet and vote. There are many trustworthy services such as Elections BC that offer online voting. Online voting is extremely helpful because many people want to vote, but do not have cars or proper transit. To prove that online voting is useful, I will take the Malaysia Airlines' online voting debate. Why did they not simply "vote", which means, according to Merriam Webster, "the official choice that you make in an election, meeting, etc., by casting a ballot, raising your hand, speaking your choice aloud, etc."

4. I agree that one cannot buy groceries online. However, many people shop online to buy objects regardless of the costs. For example, Amazon, an online company, is very rich now by just making a website and let people shop online. According to Invesp, more than 80% of the online population has shopped online, and more than 50% of the online population has shopped online more than once. The reason: less taxes, save time, save fuel, less crowds, ease of comparing prices, etc.
The link right here:

5. Dangers is kind of off topic; but I will refute it anyways. The Government of US has already tested the new technology against hackers. In addition, the new, evolving technology will prevent hackers from accessing confidential files.

For my arguments:

Con has stated that he spends numerous hours on the Internet for many uses. Therefore, that means the Internet is very useful.

Thank you Pro for your response.

As this is the last round, I will defend my arguments and refute the Pro's arguments.

I will first respond to Pro's criticisms of my arguments.

1. I agree that there are numerous sites on the Internet that provide true, accurate information. However, due to the inaccuracy of some sites, it is unwise for users to simply generalize that the information found on the web is accurate. This creates a necessity for users to spend significant amount of time further researching and verifying the results, adding to the frustration level. Also, the statements about the universities actually support my arguments. Universities or schools in general teaches solid, valuable, and up-to-date information unlike the Internet. As I stated earlier, schools provide resources that are not web-based that could do better jobs than the Internet, undermining the usefulness of the Internet.

2. First of all, I did not deny the fact that some functions provided by the Internet are for professionals. However, in order for professionals to use those complex functions, they still need to learn how to use them. Learning how to utilize the complex functions of the Internet is frustrating. In addition, I agree that Microsoft Excel is more complicated than using the Internet. However, this does not disprove the fact that the Internet is very frustrating. Like the Internet, programs such as the Microsoft Excel also frustrates their users.

3. I do not see the differences between the Pro's definition of voting and mine. Online voting only has minimal effect on voting. First or all, there are other means of voting as I mentioned such as the televoting. Secondly, if people do not have or cannot afford any kind of transit, including public transportation system), it is almost certain that they do not own a computer nor have access to the Internet. Third, I am not familiar with the Malaysia Airlines's online voting debate. Pro should have given a link or describe the event for all. He failed to indicate the idea of usefulness by mentioning this ambiguous event. Fourth, I also do not understand the last statement with the definition. How does this tie into the usefulness of the Internet? What are you trying to say?

4. First of all, I question the statistics brought up by Pro. Does the 80% of the population refer to the 80% of total human population? How can one determine the total online population? Secondly, online shopping does not save time. Costumers have to wait for the ordered products which may take weeks or even months for products to arrive. Third, less tax actually may have negative impacts. Less tax means less government revenue which means fewer services offered by the government. Also, many people find online taxation extremely confusing. [1]

5. First of all, I brought up the topic of dangerousness of the Internet as companies and governments have to constantly combat online terrorism as I stated in my previous arguments. Secondly, I would have like Pro to provide information as to how the US government test technologies against hackers as each hackers uses their own methods and tools. Third, as the technology evolves, so will the hackers. As human beings, they will adapt to changing circumstances and will also develop. New hacking softwares and methods will arise.

As Pro stated, I spend numerous hours on the Internet for diverse uses. This does not necessarily mean that I find Internet useful. I do find the Internet useful in some aspects, but the frustration of the Internet far outweighs the utility of the Internet, which is, ultimately, what this debate is about.

In conclusion, Pro failed to respond to my refutations, failed to provide stable sources to support his arguments, and did not develop his points to substantiate his arguments.

The Internet IS useful, but the frustration from using the Internet is greater than the satisfaction felt by its users.

Thank you and vote Con!

Posted by wwwwh 2 years ago
The only thig fusterating about the internet is when you have a really slow computer.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument had strong ethos so it tied in convincing, and con wins sources undoubtably.