The Jehovah Witness Religion is a cult.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

I do not believe the JW religion is a true religion. I believe they do not know what the truth is, and that they are wrong about almost everything. Any takers?

Since my opponent did not define some words I will for him.
Key Terms:

religion: is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Cult: pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices could be, reasonably or unreasonably, considered strange.

Subjective : taking place within the mind and modified by individual bias.

Faith: is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, concept or thing.

Jehovah's Witnesses: is a restorationist, millenarian Christian denomination. The religion reports worldwide membership of over 7 million adherents involved in evangelism; they report convention attendance of over 12 million, and annual Memorial attendance of over 18 million. .

True : consistent with fact or reality; not false; "the story is true"; "it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true"- B. Russell; "the true meaning of the statement"

My Case

1. Religions are a subjective concept which differs between person to person depending upon the person's will, or location of where they were born and/or were raised. The facts of the matter is religion's and cult's are almost identical when it comes to what people believe and why they believe. Just because a religion is strange or abnormal does not make it not true or false. This is because if a religion is false you must prove 100% without a doubt, facts and evidence included that one religions is true. Till we prove the baptists are the true religion we must admit to some degree that its not, factually of course keep your faith will you who cares if you can't prove 100% truth however this does mean others are wrong its just not what you specifically believe.

2.Faith is faith, the weird thing about faith is people can believe it not based on a fact or something they can show you; But what they feel or just how they were raised. This neither makes it false nor true but a belief.

3.A normal religion for you might be abnormal to others, like lets say catholic's think baptist religion is abnormal or strange does that make it a cult? If you look at my definition but lets just say religions and cults are the same thing because they are.

I will go ahead and say lets not fight semantics here thank you.

First of all, I'd like to thank Josh for accepting my challenge. Second, the true religions are only the ones who can help lead you to Heaven. If you end up in Hell for all eternity, you obviously got poor information from a false religion. The Bible teaches that we must be born again by having a relationship with Jesus and confess he is God to be saved. (John 3:3; 16, Romans 10:9) They do not teach this:

1) They believe you must be a Jehovahs Witness and a good person to be saved or you will be cut-off for all eternity, and all the other religions (including baptists) got started by the devil. (Watchtower August 15, 1997, pp 3-4)

2) They believe the trinity is a pagan doctrine adopted by the early christians. (Should you believe in the trinity? pp 2)

3) They believe only 144,000 people go to Heaven and the good Jehovahs Witnesses will be resurrected and live on earth forever, (Life in a peaceful New World, pp 2-3)

4) They teach that Jesus is "a God." (John 1:1 New World Translation; Their Bible)

For them to be right, all the other religions will have to be wrong. Therefore, they cannot be part of the christian family. Thank you.

For one I would like to point out my case was not directly attacked, at all.

All my opponents arguments are based off the bible, and he starts of by say that a true religion is one that leads to heaven . Then he goes on to say that the Jehovahs witness religions says you have to be a witness and be a good person too get into heaven. So it is a true religion in your sense right. If its the case that then my opponent must prove jews and muslims as a false religion as well as others who have a heaven.

Then he gives things that they believe will happen which really isn't needed as the debate is solely the fact that its a true religion, my opponent definition cannot exist because no person can factually prove that heaven even exists. For my opponent to win he would have to prove a religion to be 100% true which i know he can't. Therefore his definition must fall and we should use mine which is a religion is a set f beliefs, or morals which are set by a person seeing how he did not refute religions being subjective he must agree that they are and not all people believe in one religion.

Clearly my opponent has burden to prove Christianity as the True religion and all others false till then we must look a my definition of a true religion which is that their is no such thing s a true religion. Thank you.

The title to this debate is "The Jehovah Witness religion is a cult." My opponent defines the meaning of cult above as:

The Jehovahs Witnesses have many beliefs that could be reasonably strange:

1) In 1969, they taught that Jesus died on the cross. (Kingdom Interlinier 1969 pp 47) Now they say he died on a stake. (What does the Bible really teach pp 52)

2) They claim that their Bible is 100 percent accurate, but there are contradictions they cant explain: There is more than one God. (John 1:1 NWT) There is only one God. (1 Timothy 1:16;17)

3) They taught that Jesus began his ministry in Heaven in 1874. (Studies in the scriptures, Vol. 4 p. 621) In 1914, they changed their minds. (Truth book, 1914 p. 87)

How could all this be considered reasonably strange? In the Watchtower magazine from February 15, 1989, they say they are NEVER wrong about anything and NEVER go back on their word. But as I have shown above, at one point or another they did, but yet they still claim to be perfect.

If that could not be reasonably strange, I don't know what is. Thank you.

My opponent has yet again, put more information on the religion of Jehovah Witnesses, yet this is all irrelevant.
This is because maybe all religions are wrong or have holes, yet my opponent only see's them as wrong what about Buddism, Hinduism, or Muslims?
Do you believe them to be wrong then they also must be a cult right? Or am i wrong?
Plus you must prove a religion to be true to have a false religion but the fact is no person can 100% prove a religion right
My opponent has only proved one religion to have holes, but what about Christainity im sure people could start showing facts how the bible itself has holes.

Cults and religions are the same thing, since all religions big or small others will think it is strange since my opponent did not attack the fact that religions are subjective and are dependent on where they were born or what they think.
Since this stands, a true religion is impossible, and therefore leads to my side.

My opponent is trying to make this a debate only on what a true religion is and is trying to ignore the title. But, since my opponent is ignoring my statements on how they are without question a cult, I'll also prove they are a false religion:

In their own Bible, (The New World Translation) they say that whoever makes false prophecies are false prophets and those people do not serve God. Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NWT

The Watchtower claims to be God's prophet (The Watchtower, April 1, 1972, p. 197) But are they true or false prophets?

1889 "In the coming 26 years, all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved." (C.T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 98-99, 1889)

1894 "We see no reason for changing the figures nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, Gods dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble." (Watchtower, July 15, 1894, Reprints p. 1677)

1918 "Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the Apostle in Hebrews 11, to the condition of human perfection." (Millions Now Living Will Never Die, p. 89)

1925 "It is to be expected that Satan will try to inject into the minds of the consecrated, the thought that 1925 should see an end to the work." (Watchtower, Sept. 1925, p. 262)

1968 "Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of mans existence on earth is completed... The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those who are destroyed then. So, now more than ever, it is vital not to ignore that spirit of wanting to do more." (Kingdom Ministry, March 1968, p. 4 [note: 1968 + 90 months = 1975])

Why do all these false prophecies make them a false religion? Two reasons. One, they claim to be followers of God, but their Bible says they are not. Two, in their booklet (What does the Bible really teach p. 220) It says, "All religions who dont follow God are false religions." So why are they a false religion? Because their own literature says so.

But again, according to the title of this debate we are talking about a cult. If my statements on why they are a cult continue to get ignored, then they stand. Thank you.

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.

A couple misunderstandings on my opponents behalf:

1) During round three my opponent says that I only see the Jehovahs Witness religion as a cult. First of all, I never said that. Second, we are not talking about the other religions that he mentioned. Could all those religions be considered cults too? Perhaps, but that doesn't mean the Jehovahs Witness religion is not a cult.

2) During round three he said that my facts on the Jehovahs Witness religion were irrelevent. My facts proved they are without question reasonably strange, which is considered to be a cult according to my opponents definition of the word cult. Therefore, they are not irrelevant.

But since my opponent does not think those facts make them a cult (reasonably strange,) I'd like to further my case on why they are a cult:

Awake 6/8/1968, p. 21 – Jehovahs Witnesses consider all organ transplants cannibalism, hence unacceptable.

WT 3/15/1980, p. 31 – Organ transplants are not necessarily unacceptable. (Remember during round three that I showed they have stated they NEVER GO BACK ON THEIR WORDS and clearly they are doing so.)

United, p. 166 – "It is a sin to run for office, sing the national anthem, salute the flag, or join the army." So according to them, we should have no government; therefore no leaders running this country with no rules. This is without question reasonably strange.

Again, the title to this debate is "The Jehovahs Witness religion is a cult." To conclude this, I would like everyone to notice that my statements on why they are a cult (reasonably strange) got completely ignored during this entire debate. I do believe that I stayed on topic and have proven they are without question a cult, (reasonably strange) Thank you.

Ok ignore my opponent as he has ignored me, Since he has not even address or even tried to understand what i was saying.

In order, i will post the points in a ladder of my arguments for you to better understand if i clearly did not address this enough.

1. religions are a subjective moral system; 2 Thus these beliefs are different person to person; 3 thus people will view other religions different or reasonably strange; 4 thus no religion is a cult but a religion because all religions will be strange to others who have never heard of them or believe them.

Ok seeing this we must conclude that religions are not cults, more over the word cult was made to insult other religions that don't look the same in their views. Yes we should all give other religions we don't understand the title of cult simply because we don't think the way we do. That can be conclude to a christian not understanding a Islam and calling them strange which in definition is a cult. However if this is true then all religions must be cult the word cult is subjective in itself.

I did not ignore the title but the title is not the argument but the means in the title like religion and cult the whole point he just ignoring me to avoid my attacks.

Thanks for reading,
sorry for the forfeit,
vote con.
Posted by mcc1789 5 years ago
I'm not talking to either one of you, simply commenting.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 5 years ago
im not talking to you mcc dude im talking to my opponent.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 5 years ago
man you don't listen do you?
Posted by mcc1789 5 years ago
I have been following this debate with interest so far. The latest argument is about how Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs should be considered reasonably strange. I agree, their beliefs are. Numerous contradictions are to be found as well. However, this is no different than Christianity as a whole, or any other religion for that matter. It seems to me strangeness is relative on how much we are exposed to a belief system. The Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs, as they are less followed, seem more strange than more traditional Christian beliefs going back approximately 2,000 years, but they are no less strange or full of contradictions. Strangeness diminishes according to how much we are immersed with them.
Posted by mcc1789 5 years ago
SimonMac21 said: For them to be right, all the other religions will have to be wrong.

Is that not true about yours as well? Since it is the "true" religion after all...
Vote Placed by tylersch96 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I am a Jehovahs Witness so of course I will defend my religion. SimonMac21 i wish u would debate me about this subject
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: As pro did not refute a number of con's arguments, then there couldn't have been a debate here. Conduct goes to pro because of forfeit. But otherwise, pro used the logical fallacy of circular arguments. He did not prove christiaity to be true and since all arguments he made were from christianity, then all his points are proven false.