karco
ObesePigeon

The Joker is the greatest cinimatic super villian.

Started: 12/12/2013 Category: Movies

karco

Pro

The con will attempt to prove that The Joker is not the greatest villain.
I will attempt to prove he is.

shall we have fun? :P note the quicker argue time.
ObesePigeon

Con

I would start by suggesting that the term greatest in a subjective one, and is thus difficult to empirically measure; the cinematic world has had many super villains, and defining one as greatest is surely a matter of subjective opinion.

As my position in this debate is attempting to prove The Joker is not the greatest villain, I will propose an alternative super villain who is superior in greatness, Lex Luthor.

Lex Luthor, the same as The Joker, does not have any super powers, but is nonetheless considered a super villain. Lex Luthor, however, has an opponent far greater than that of The Joker's opponent (perhaps the greatness of their hero opponents is also a subjective one), as Superman, Lex Luthor's opponent, holds superpowers which can only be overcome by an extremely powerful intellect, one that is held by Luthor. He has at times in the cinematic universe managed to capture and circumvent Superman, subduing his powers and successfully leaving him for dead. Superman only managed to escape the fate of death in Superman I with the help of Eve Teschmacher (1). This shows that Lex Luthor holds an intellect superior to the one held by The Joker, thus in this respect Lex Luthor is greater.

Lex Luthor has been portrayed in numerous films of the cinematic universe, as he must be considered highly as a candidate for the greatest super villain, as he continues to outwit an immensely superpowered alien being, whilst the Joker simply fights Batman, a human with no superpowers, who is able to capture and imprison The Joker in Arkham Asylum. Whilst The Joker is imprisoned with nothing, Lex Luthor has amassed a fortune of wealth. This again comes down to the superior intellect of Luthor to plan and make better decisions than The Joker does; this shows that Luthor has greater logical and reasoning abilities.

In The Dark Knight Rises, The Joker is nowhere to be seen, posing no threat to Batman, probably cowardly running away from the Bane-led mayhem taking place in Gotham, which he claims to revel in so much. However, if he is in Gotham at this point, involved in the mayhem, then he is not the leader of it (as Bane is), and is therefore not even the greatest super villain in Gotham. Lex Luthor (or Bane for that matter) would not simply be one hidden in the crowds, he is greater than that. The Joker caused a bit of destruction, yes, but nothing comparable to that which Bane caused, managing to literally break the batman, imprison him, and take control of an entire city holding it at ransom (2).

In conclusion, Lex Luthor is a greater super villain than The Joker for reasons such as his superior intellect, cunning and ability to overcome Superman, seen as the most powerful being on Earth. Bane is also a greater super villain than The Joker, for accomplishing more mayhem, destruction and terror within Gotham City and being able to physically as well as mentally break Batman.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org...(1978_film)
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
karco

Pro

karco forfeited this round.
ObesePigeon

Con

As Con forfeited the last round, I will not establish any new arguments this round, giving Con another chance to continue the debate.
karco

Pro

karco forfeited this round.
ObesePigeon

Con

Sorry, in the last round I mixed up Pro with Con stating that Con forfeited the round, when Con is in fact me.

PRO has forfeited the last 2 rounds, and as such I have nothing to add.

Vote CON.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Tempting. When you've had a few more debates I'd gladly accept.