bexy_kelly
XxXDublinGirlXxX

The Junior Certificate should be banned

bexy_kelly

Pro

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for reading my blah blah blah blah blah!

Right, now we've got that over with, let the debate begin!

I will begin by providing definitions:

The Junior Certificate (from now on shortened to JC) is a series of examinations taken by students attending secondary schools in Ireland at the ages of 15 to 16. It is the Irish counterpart of the English GCSE's.

I think the words "should be banned" are self explanatory and do not need defining unless my opponent wishes (I will be happy to oblige if they ask)

What is so terrible about the big, bad JC? Well allow me to explain with a few short anecdotes...

1) Little Timmy was a young boy approaching the age of sweet sixteen. He was, as all teenagers are, awkward and unsure of himself. When the time of the exams cam around Timmy got his pencil case together, with all 16 of his spare pens (you can thank his over the top parents for that one) and various writing equipment.

When he entered the examination hall Timmy suddenly caught a bug, known as the dreaded examination sickness bug. He threw up on the spot and died spontaneously. Three other students died as well from watching.

2) Theresa was one of the students present when Little Timmy died. However she was slightly short sighted and did not see what went on. So she managed to survive to stage two.

She sat down, armed with a freshly sharpened pencil, while the examinations were being passed out. When she received her examination paper, she started writing her name on it, as one would do in an exam situation. But the second her pencil hit the paper, she got up from her seat, screaming, and ran out of the exam hall. She was found three months later in a ditch, laughing manically and gibbering, having no idea who or what she was, and having chewed off her left leg.

3) Whippersnapper John was a bright young individual. He was good looking, clever, honest, and most importantly, knew how to survive exams. He had never died in an exam situation. His family line were not prone to dying in exam situations. Yet still, this tragic tale of woe and misery ended up with the JC killing him.

After he had handed up his Maths exam paper, he calmly started walking out of the room. But something was wrong. There was a peculiar smell in the air. THE DREADED JUNIOR CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION PAPER SMELL. This smell is to be avoided at all costs. Whippersnapper John was wearing a clothes pin on his nose for this very reason. But a molecule of this poisonous smell got into his left nostril. The smell turned him insane. He paused, sniffed the air some more... and ran over to the side of the room and spectacularly leaped out the window.

Each of these tales ends with a young person dying. Each of these deaths were preventable. The Junior Certificate was the cause of all these deaths.

I now proclaim that it should be banned.

I urge the voters to vote PRO and to support this ban.

The Junior Certificate is simply not worth it, it does more harm then good.

Vote PRO.
XxXDublinGirlXxX

Con

Fellow debate.org members, opposition and anyone who is reading,

I would like to point out firstly that bexy_kelly's argument of the random dying during the Junior Certificate is totally untrue. There are no proven cases of students dying due to the actual exam, all deaths are unrelated and due to some generic proven medical reason.

The Junior Certificate is extremely hyped up as proven by bexy_kelly and is simply a practice state examination for the more important leaving certificate which actually defines your future career and lifestyle.

Before you commence your Junior Certificate you get many "helpful suggestions" from multiple family members, friends and strangers!! Saying things like: "don't worry about it nobody minds if you fail" implying the sheer difficulty of the task that is the Junior Certificate. Nut in fact once you start, I must admit that I am tired but I am in no was stressed or panicked. Which is thus proven by my bothering to take bexy_kelly up on her offer of this debate.

The only reason, I feel, that the Junior Certificate would be considered difficult or panic inspiring is if the candidate has failed to prepare for his/her exam.

I therefore have no problem with the occurence of the Junior Certificate as it is good practice for the Leaving Certificate and if you have prepared for it, it should be fine, I feel no need for it to be banned.

And in case you were all wondering, no I am not a teacher, I am simply a student who is currently in the middle of my Junior Certificate and finding it fine.
bexy_kelly

Pro

"I would like to point out firstly that bexy_kelly's argument of the random dying during the Junior Certificate is totally untrue. There are no proven cases of students dying due to the actual exam, all deaths are unrelated and due to some generic proven medical reason"

These deaths were in fact with held from the News, they were simply too horrifying to be told to the general public. And are these tales of woe not completely believable?

"The Junior Certificate is extremely hyped up as proven by bexy_kelly and is simply a practice state examination for the more important leaving certificate which actually defines your future career and lifestyle"

The JC is not simply a "practice" round as my opponent so beautifully puts it. When you receive your JC results they are the decider whether or not you get into honors or pass for your Leaving Cert. So my opponents argument here is flawed.

" Before you commence your Junior Certificate you get many "helpful suggestions" from multiple family members, friends and strangers!! Saying things like: "don't worry about it nobody minds if you fail" "

My opponent asked for proof for my tales of woe. How very indignant of her! So I do the same- SHOW ME THE PROOF BUDDY!

"The only reason, I feel, that the Junior Certificate would be considered difficult or panic inspiring is if the candidate has failed to prepare for his/her exam"

I have previously shown that the big bad JC is also dangerous for your health.
For the future safety of our children we must take further actions to ban this horrible thing, this monstrosity, the Junior Certificate.

That is all.

Vote PRO, clearly CON does not see the BIGGER PICTURE. PEOPLES LIVES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN TAKING AN EXAM!
XxXDublinGirlXxX

Con

XxXDublinGirlXxX forfeited this round.
bexy_kelly

Pro

Due to the incredible evil that is the Junior Cert my opponent couldn't reply. Vote PRO- the side effects of the Junior Cert can be clearly seen here!
XxXDublinGirlXxX

Con

XxXDublinGirlXxX forfeited this round.
bexy_kelly

Pro

bexy_kelly forfeited this round.
XxXDublinGirlXxX

Con

XxXDublinGirlXxX forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
bexy_kellyXxXDublinGirlXxXTied
Vote Placed by necromancer 9 years ago
necromancer
bexy_kellyXxXDublinGirlXxXTied