justice_plate
bvand

The King's speech deserved to win all the major awards at the 2011 Oscars

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

justice_plate

Pro

First round is acceptance. Arguments begin in round 2
I say The King's speech deserved to win all the major awards. Con will argue that it did not deserve to win all the major awards compared to other films nominated
bvand

Con

I loved that movie but will argue nonetheless. I am willing to accept your debate on the condition that you state what specific awards it deserved to win in the following round.
justice_plate

Pro

I Define the major awards as best picture best director best actor and best screenplay.
I think that the King's Speech deserved the Best Picture Oscar 110% it was an amazing movie and was incredible. Inception was good but in my opinion it was no where near the best picture, yes it was great and mind bending but the Kings Speech was so much better the actors and the quality were amazing and the movie drew you in.
Tom hopper got best director. Make no mistake, Tom's directing of "The King's Speech" really was extraordinary, and not just for getting such great performances from the entire cast. Throughout its running time, he brilliantly put us in Colin Firth's shoes and made us feel his panic as he lost control and stuttered in front of hundreds of people. I can't remember the last time a filmmaker captured the terror people have of speaking in public.
and Colin Firth's best actor win goes to him because the way he made us feel his panic as he lost control and stuttered in front of hundreds of people he deserved it best out of the other nominees.
All of that adds to why it wins best original screenplay brilliant story
bvand

Con

Although I agree that Colin Firth was outstanding and the directing incredible, I beg you to ponder this:

Even though it is hard to capture the terror of speaking in public as you said, I would beg to argue that this was all that the director had to focus on. Since this is a true story and fairly accurate more or less [1], the plot was already taken care of. Consider the movie Inception. If a random director was asked to direct a movie about a King's need to rise in England's time of need versus a movie where you can enter dreams and then enter another layer of dreams and then another, all while time slows down in each new layer of dream you enter, which would be more difficult? Which would he most likely choose? Not only do you have to be able to ensnare the viewer in this dream world, but you have to convince him of similar terrors and emotions as shown in The Kings Speech. More or less I am simply trying to state that whereas the plot was already laid out for The Kings Speech, Inception had to be made from scratch and provided more of a challenge for the director.

Also, think of Toy Story 3. How many series are there that have continued to produce stunning movies? Usually a good movie will come out, and then more will follow simply because the first made money. They end up being poorly made and were forced into production to simply make more money. Imagine the trouble for a director having to not only deal with a new plot, but using the same characters for a third time. What would happen in The Kings Speech 3? Would it still be just as good?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_Speech
justice_plate

Pro

Con gave some good points about why Inception deserved to win best picture but Con did not argue about the critic and publics response to the film.
Rotten tomatoes gives the kings speech a 95% positive rating: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
Rotten tomatoes gives Inception a 86% positive rating: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
So it is clear that the king's speech is the more loved film, that is why it derserved to win.
As for toy story 3 it had it's own animation category to win, so it shouldn't have been in the top 10 picture nominees anyway.
Now read the Oscar nominees list: http://www.oscars.org...
As for best director I think Con is arguing that chris noland deserved to win best director more than tom hooper. Con has failed to do his homework because Chris noland was not nominated for best director at the Oscars. Therefor in this debate chris noland is irrelevant.
As for best actor Con has not argued why exactly colin firth did not deserve to win out of the nominees.
As for best screenplay, the kings speech screenplay vs inceptions screenplay… screenplay is not all about the plot of the film. It is stage directions, role plays and others. The kings speech had harder elements of those which were better than inception
bvand

Con

Please note that pro believes that The King's Speech deserved all major awards at the Oscars therefore, I only need to prove him wrong in one of these awards. In regard to directors, I was not arguing FOR anyone, simply against Tom Hopper. In regard to best actor, I will not choose to question Firth's outstanding performance.

Ratings based on sites are irrelevant. Every site is different and there is no way of knowing which is the true belief of the public. For example, IMDB [1] rates Inception as the 8th best movie of all time whereas The King's Speech is 101st. If you wish to say that The King's Speech wasn't out as long to get as many votes, please note that both Black Swan (66) and Toy Story 3 (32) are ahead by a considerable margin.

Screenplay is defined as [2[:

"A screenplay or script is a written work that is made especially for a film or television program."

Plot will play a major role in this simply because it takes up so much writing. Directions and such are important, but it is much easier to add these extras on to an existing story than to start from scratch.

[1] http://www.imdb.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
justice_plate

Pro

Con please give evidance to prove that the king's speech did not deserve to win best picture
give evidance to prove that tom hooper did not deserve to win best director
give evidance to prove that kings speech did not deserve to win best screenplay
and then this debate is yours to win...

if con cannot then vote pro
bvand

Con

While I have argued you on both director (simply that Tom Hopper wasn't the best director) and best picture (Toy Story 3 and Inception were better; imdb rated these movies significantly higher), the focus on of my argument was and is on screenplay.

You have uncontested my last mention of it, but I will review in order to state the point more clearly:
- Tom Hopper had to direct a film based off an event that already happened, therefore, any problem associated with the plot or appropriate characters or attire could simply be solved by referring back to what happened in the past.
- While screenplay/script does consist of more than just the plot (i.e. stage direction), the majority of it consists of what the story is about. In order for a story to be told, it must be told.
- Inception followed what would be a confusing, hard to follow screenplay if read. It was much more difficult to bring to life than an event that already happened. Toy Story 3 is the third Toy Story. While this may seem redundant, it shows that the screenplay has changed 3 different times and all of those times the same cast was involved. There would be no The King's Speech 2 because the movie was about THE trial the character had to face. Now that he overcame it, there is nothing more. Perhaps he lead an interesting life as King, but the climax of the movie was the climax of his life: he had to overcome his speech impediment to instill courage in the British people. The screenplay is based off of what happened. You could read a history book and know the ending of the movie before you watched it.
Posted by Zealous1 6 years ago
Zealous1
And why does it deserve such?
Posted by justice_plate 6 years ago
justice_plate
I Define the major awards as best picture best director best actor and best screenplay
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 6 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
Up it to four rounds.
Posted by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
Define the major awards
Posted by Thaddeus 6 years ago
Thaddeus
Because I like typing how I could abuse debates if I really wanted to;
Oscars: a slang term for the nobel prize award.
Posted by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
It so did not deserve best Picture
Vote Placed by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
justice_platebvandTied
Reasons for voting decision: obviously, there were no attacks from Pro
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
justice_platebvandTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear, Pro set himself out an expansive argument and only defended it partially.
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
justice_platebvandTied
Reasons for voting decision: full points to Con, Con had better conduct, spelling, sources and arguments
Vote Placed by Zealous1 6 years ago
Zealous1
justice_platebvandTied
Reasons for voting decision: Had a good argument that it's harder to direct this compared to, for example, inception.