FagicMellow
The_Scottish_Debater

The Last of Us is WAY TOO overrated!!! SERIOUSLY! Like WTF!

The_Scottish_Debater
Started: 6/24/2014 Category: Games

FagicMellow

Pro

"10 out of 10 - Game of the Year" - IGN, Good Game (Australian TV Gaming Show) and almost everyone in the universe of gaming. Why? Why is this game GOTY (Game of the Year)? Why is it 10 out of 10 when there is flaws that ruin the experience? WHY IS IT SO POPULAR WHEN ALL IT IS IS THE WALKING DEAD WITH A WORSE STORY AND GAMEPLAY THAT IS "SURVIVAL" BASED!? I have no idea why the heck people say that it is perfect. I get it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when everyone says this game is perfect? The best game we have seen in years? Wtf is coming out of peoples mouths? Sure, this game was good, it was fun, atmospheric and gorgeous looking on the Ps3. But when there is flaws that disturb what it was trying to do, it does NOT deserve a 10 out of 10. Even games considered the best of all time like Ocarina of Time still have it's flaws. It's so stupid! Here today, I just feel like releasing my anger and arguing about this with someone else. So, come at me bro (btw I am a noob at this, first time, plz dont come at meh!)
The_Scottish_Debater

Con

Welcome to Debate.org, don't use "wtf" and other abbreviations like that.

"Naughty Dog has proven itself again as one of the most accomplished development teams in the world. With The Last of Us they have given us a consistent and interesting world that is supported by practically all of its game mechanics. From the rich complex combat system to the sublime sound design, this game immerses the player in one of the most visceral plots in this generation. Maybe the AI could have been better, but, overall, this game proves how far the craftsmanship of making video games has come."

Is a Review for " The Last of Us " which simply sums up the reason why the game has been voted 10/10.
Every Game has Flaws no game is ever fully perfect yet if it is still a great game it does deserve a 10/10.

Also Debate.org is not just about arguing you need to state facts that back up your statements.

Quote: http://www.metacritic.com...
FagicMellow

Pro

This game is obviously trying to be a survival game around the story of two people crossing the country to save humanity. It is trying to be a game where you emotionally connect with this young girl so much that you want NOTHING to happen to her. Now lets look at what it did wrong in these sections.

Gameplay

The gameplay is very fun, since getting kills is quite satisfying with the great sound design and how the animation are when an enemy dies, very satisfying. But it is meant to be a survival game, you know, those games that make you so happy when you find supplies that you have been desperate for. This game though, gives you so many supplies at you, it's ridiculous. I always had at least 15 ammunition (shared around all guns), always had full Molotovs and Medkits, I was full of smoke bombs and nail bombs too. I mean, even when you run out of bullets, Ellie or Tess hands you some more, WHY? The only thing that i was struggling to find is the shivs, but thats only because of the 'open-door-with-shiv' mechanic. That was so dumb, what they should've done is put way less of those supplies and add a few mechanics, like maybe you hold the gun up at the enemy and they put their hands up and surrender, they beg of you to not shoot, and you can use that to your advantage because then, even if you didn't have any ammo, you could still do it. And until you pull that trigger (R1 button), they wont know that you have no ammo. And what about more variety of supplies to be able to craft. Maybe remove most ammo and being able to use like the gunpowder and a broken shell (I don't know, something similar to that) to be able to craft more ammo, but not very much. This mechanic would make you stress out and think, 'The situation I am in right now, should I craft more ammo or use to get myself a Smoke Bomb' (Again, I dont know what the craft recipe should be, just something that would be used to craft not only ammo, but also something else very useful). What were some good thing that they did do? The hearing mechanic was a great idea that maybe could have more of a use in the sequel (There is obviously gonna be a sequel) since I didn't use it that much surprisingly, I have no idea why, maybe because I was so into the action that I forgot the mechanic completely? That is another thing that they got right, so right. I might buy the sequel just because of the atmosphere, they nailed it on this game. Also, the zombie mechanic where clickers can't see while runners can, great mechanic. The variety of guns was good, very good, and they all had a reason to be used. Flamethrower for zombies, pistols for enemies without armour, the big guns like shotguns for armours enemies, they did good on this. Another place they did good is when (spoilers) Joel and Ellie got separated and you play as Ellie, where you felt underpowered, that was how the game should've been the whole time. FEELING UNDERPOWERED! I enjoyed it very much, that section was very well made. But enough about the gameplay, lets talk story since that was the 'highlight' of the game.

Story

(Ok, I have to admit, this might be because of opinion and not fact, but hear me out) The story was actually pretty good. Was it 10 out of 10 worthy? Hell no, of course not. For me, the story was going great. Joel didn't like Ellie that much, Ellie kinda did. But then, all of a sudden, they start liking each other ALOT for NO REASON! I understand they were separated and worried about each other, and after the event, they felt connected to each other. But (from what the game showed) they never ever slowly built up that relationship. After Joes saving Ellie, they should've slowly slowly gotten into that Father/Daughter relationship, not straight away. Like, maybe make the game longer and show a few moments (after Joel saving her) where Joel and Ellie start talking and getting to know each other without yelling at each other. Maybe Joel sharing a bit more about his relationship with Sarah instead of hiding it away from her until the very end. I didn't personally like that, although what I did like was how Ellie was different after she got kidnapped, instead of being all cheerful, she felt really distant, constantly thinking about what happened. Although that ending was dreadful for me, I mean did you really feel satisfied? I certainly didn't. The ending was so disappointing for me, all it was was Joel lieing to Ellie and the credits, really? Why not show Ellie enjoying herself at the power plant and Joel starring at her from far away, smiling, then I would've been satisfied, instead, throughout the whole credits scene, I was thinking to myself, 'What the hell just happened?'. It was pretty dissapointing.

In the end, this game is great like 8.5 great, not 10! This game is more of an experience to me, rather than a game that everyone should play. It has flaws, like every game, but that is what sequels are for, to fix the problems and add new content (im looking at you, Call of Duty).

Btw, sorry for taking a long time to answer, took me a while to think of these things to express into words.
The_Scottish_Debater

Con

Some people take days to reply so don't worry, the game to someone new to it something like Left 4 Dead or other types of Zombie Games yet it is more tactical and I see that you believe that you get to much equipment and stuff like that. Your statements are valid and that maybe because the producers of the game wanted the something different. Instead of Gun + You = Zombie Killer, they engineered more of a story to it to try make you feel for the characters and become one with them.
You should make a review on websites showing this to other people but do not act they way you did in your opening statement. When I read your opening statement I believed you were just some random gamer who doesn't know any vocabulary, now that you have posted in Round 2 I know that I was wrong and you have a lot of valid points. I myself am not a big RPG and Games of those sorts with Zombies, I play Call of Duty and other First Person Shooters. You said that they should of made the game longer, maybe the producers was just looking to produce something which could lead on from it. Short Game = More hype over Sequel. Yes it is your own opinion but you could always show that it may not be a 10 it could be an 8.5 as you said. Others could of missed those fatal flaws and just stuck to what they saw and enjoyed the game as a whole.

The story that you described was to build suspense for the ending and then they didn't let it drop. It is to generate more marketing for number two.
FagicMellow

Pro

Sorry, it was like 11 o'clock, I was way too tired to continue! Now that I am back though...

I understand that the ending was for marketing for the sequel, but thats not an excuse, because I wasn't satisfied enough. If they did the ending that I said or something similar, it would've made me more satisfied and wanting more. If they improved the ending, the game would easily go up to a 9. Remember how Halo 2's ending was a bit disappointing (at least from I heard, haven't actually played it myself since I have no xbox :(), since it was built up for Halo 3? Where they left it to a cliffhanger? Everyone was pretty disappointed and the game received 9.5 and 9 from all reviewers, but what is the difference with The Last of Us receiving a 10? Were people really satisfied with the ending, again leaving it to a cliffhanger?

Look at the ending of The Walking Dead (Telltale Games) (Also spoilers for the ending, if you wanna skip it just skip this paragraph. Made it just so you can skip just in case ;D) The whole reason of the last episode was to save Clementine from that person, and then when Lee finally dies, we see Clementine being safe, walking in a field of wheat. And then, leaving that cliffhanger where there is those two figures. That was so masterful, the ending was satisfying and had a cliffhanger. The Last of Us though, left me feeling like I needed more. Some could argue that is a good thing, but when I payed a game which was $80 in Australia, I expect a satisfying ending, not one that makes me wanna spend another $80 for the sequel because I didn't get a good enough ending. I mean, I earned that money, I worked my arse off for it, and this is how I am rewarded? I could've gone out there, gotten Left 4 Dead and made myself a Role Play video with a few friends and had gotten my moneys worth. And THAT GAME IS $10 BUCKS ON STEAM ($20 for number two). Do you see what i mean?

The Mass Effect 3 ending was so bad too (spoilers, skip the paragraph if you want no spoilers), how none of your actions changed anything other than a few colours. Now I wouldn't mind if the game was $20 (Like The Walking Dead), but that was again $80, a AAA and I didn't get my moneys worth.

Now did the question is, did the ending ruin the game for me? Well, sort of. Because the game was very fun and addictive, atmesphere was great, but the ending slightly ruined it for me, since this game is focused on the story to make you fall in love with it.
The_Scottish_Debater

Con

I understand that the ending was for marketing for the sequel, but that's not an excuse, because I wasn't satisfied enough. If they did the ending that I said or something similar, it would've made me more satisfied and wanting more. If they improved the ending, the game would easily go up to a 9. Remember how Halo 2's ending was a bit disappointing (at least from I heard, haven't actually played it myself since I have no xbox :(), since it was built up for Halo 3? Where they left it to a cliffhanger? Everyone was pretty disappointed and the game received 9.5 and 9 from all reviewers, but what is the difference with The Last of Us receiving a 10? Were people really satisfied with the ending, again leaving it to a cliffhanger? "

You said you weren't satisfied enough that would be your own opinion, also you said Halo 2's ending was a bit disappointing, I never played Halo 2 as well but I did play Halo 3 and it was one of the best games I've played for a while. Cliffhangers depend on what game it is, it depends on how the developers spin the story to make you want more. I don't play ps3/ps4 I am an xbox player myself but most games are the same if left to a cliffhanger. The Last of Us just must of had such an exciting ending it made people rate it 10/10 and in your opinion just left it to 8.5/10. Games are becoming more advanced, Halo 2 wouldn't get 9.5/10 these days if the graphics weren't changed it just depends on what you see.
Posted by FagicMellow 2 years ago
FagicMellow
What about other people, what are your opinions on the game after reading this argument?

Please tell me, I'd like to know! :D
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
FagicMellowThe_Scottish_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has a link.
Vote Placed by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
FagicMellowThe_Scottish_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Okay the voting period is just absurd.Probably PRO kept it so because of his lack of experience in this site.Anyway moving on to the actual debate itself, taking into consideration the fact that this is PRO's first debate I have excused some of the places PRO has succumbed to violation of conduct. PRO hasn't provided any sources ,so sources to CON for his link. And since BOP was on PRO and since CON has refuted all of PRO's arguments CON gets points for arguments.