ANGER
Alanna.Kologey

The Legality of Abortion

ANGER

Pro

I feel that abortion should be legal in all cases, meaning that one doesn't need to provide a reason or meet certain criteria, but only has to be pregnant, and not wish to continue as such. I'd prefer an opponent with a uterus, as those without don't have the potential to become pregnant, but this is not an absolute requirement. Round one will be opening statements, round two reasoning and evidence, round three rebuttals, and round four closing statements. Thank you.
Alanna.Kologey

Con

I feel that abortion is morally wrong and is murder. If you don't want the baby you can give it up for adoption, not kill it when it has no say!
ANGER

Pro

My reasons are that bodily autonomy is a constitutional right, that criminalizing abortion would lead to people seeking out criminal and potentially unsafe methods of terminating the pregnancy, and that fetuses are not truly human beings before the 12 week cut off.
Bodily autonomy, or control of one's own body, is protected under the right of privacy laws under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment. While generally narrowly defined, it protects privacy of family, marriage, procreation and child rearing. And though one could argue that the amendment only gives people the right to privacy, but doesn't ensure the right to act upon something like this, the reality of the situation is that this right has evolved into a constitutional liberty since its ratification in 1868, and now serves to protect the liberty of an individual to choose whether or not to perform certain acts. In the 1973 case of Roe v. Wade, this right was classified as fundamental, meaning that government interference must be justified by a compelling state interest. I ask you, what is the compelling interest in the case of abortion? Furthermore, in Roe v. Wade, the court ruled that this right extends into and protects a woman's right to make her own, personal medical decisions, including whether or not to have an abortion, without interference from the state.
The criminalization of abortion would, of course, have disastrous effects, in much the same way it has in the past and continues to today. In the 1940's and 50's, police ran most safe abortion providers out of practice, leaving women to turn to illegal and deadly abortionists. Let me be perfectly clear; making abortion illegal will not stop it. It never has. Instead, it forces women to resort to drastic measures. Once reputable clinics were out of business, women were forced to turn to those who would perform them in secret, often in squalorly conditions for exorbitant prices. And while many survived, most were seriously injured, and a small percentage died. In the years preceding Roe v. Wade, hospitals had separate, septic abortion wards for women bleeding, injured, and infected from botched and illegal abortions, many of them self-inflicted. Chicago's Cook's County Hospital, for example, housed around 5,000 women in their abortion wards yearly. Considering this took place over the span of 23 years, at the least, that's 115,000 women. In the US, deaths due to illegal abortion were around 50% of the nations maternal mortality, and these statistics hold in countries where abortion is illegal today. Abortions performed by doctors in sterile environments, on the other hand, are extremely safe. Maternal mortality dropped drastically after abortion's legalization, and abortion wards closed across the country. They were no longer needed. If we make abortion illegal, maternal mortality will near double, especially among poor women, African-American women, and Latina women, who can't afford to travel to pro-choice states.
Finally, one needs to understand that, at the point when one can have an abortion, the fetus barely counts as alive. It cannot think, it cannot move, it can't do anything that would make it truly 'human'. If we're going to count something as alive at conception solely because it has human DNA, we may as well all be murderers. Sperm, too, has human DNA. It's technically alive. Is it a person, then? And, if it were, how many babies die every time a guy jacks off? A thousand? A million? I mean, by this logic, the average teenage boy may as well be Hitler with how many babies he's killed. All joking aside, thousands more eggs are fertilized than become human. Who can we blame for this? Should we sue every woman who's had an egg pass through her? Every man whose sperm fertilized an egg, which then failed to grow into a baby? Have all these people failed you?
Alanna.Kologey

Con

For me Abortion is against my religion and it is called murder. Fact is there is many adoption facilities and infertility woman who would love to have that child. Also it is an unsafe, unregulated procedure. Woman have died from this procedure! Please look at this website where it supports my reasoning's http://www.tfpstudentaction.org... In another website it sates, "Civil rights are violated when people are deprived of their basic rights in a discriminatory fashion. Unborn children are deprived of life " the most basic right of all " simply based on their location (their mother"s womb) and their developmental status. This is discriminatory, inhuman, and cruel." http://liveactionnews.org... Also in the case Roe v Wade was a landmark in 1973 and paved the way for abortion to become legal in the US. The decision declared that it was a "Fundamental Right" for a woman to have unrestricted access to an abortion in the early weeks of pregnancy and the restricted ability to abort in later weeks. The decision was based on a right to privacy which was declared by the Supreme Court (7-2) to cover the right to terminate a pregnancy. However later Supreme Court Justices have considered that the 1973 Supreme Court went beyond its remit because the US constitution has no guarantees as to privacy and abortion is an issue for legislators not judges. All in all Abortion needs to be illegal.
ANGER

Pro

ANGER forfeited this round.
Alanna.Kologey

Con

Alanna.Kologey forfeited this round.
ANGER

Pro

ANGER forfeited this round.
Alanna.Kologey

Con

Alanna.Kologey forfeited this round.
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
Not to burst your bubble, GuardiaW, but how the heck is abortion a lesson to unborn babies? They aren't even born yet! HOW can they learn when they are still developing in the womb! HOW!? And about your cousins, If it's that bad, why the heck haven't you called child protective services already!? I worked as a construction worker one year and I had to demolish a house that was just like that. It was vacant because my boss and I called child protective services. So I can't tell if you are a filthy liberal who doesn't know what he is talking about or how the world works, or If I'm missing essential information to make an accurate decision.
Posted by GuardiaVV 1 year ago
GuardiaVV
Abortion is a choice and a lesson for the baby and the carrying mother. The baby doesn't have a say but he knew what he was getting himself into which is why it is called a lesson to all. My cousin has a terrible mother, she has tattoos plastered all over her body and she smokes pot. Her mother handles more than just marijuana, I think she takes pills. My cousin's mother has a lot of children, all of them have different fathers, and all of them have serious problems, schizophrenia, brain damage ect. My cousin has a dad whom smokes marijuana, he has epilepsy and he caused her teeth to rot when she was a baby. My cousin's siblings including herself have been placed several times and they've been brought back to her mother every single time. Abortion can change a Life, @raskuseal and after you've aborted a child once, I don't think it would happen again, not only does it change a Life, it changes you.
Posted by Wolx 1 year ago
Wolx
Damn, somebody accepted this debate before me.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
I'd accept this. Do I have permission to?
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
I believe that abortion is an incredibly evil act of murder of an innocent baby. I believe that abortion needs to be illegal, and that the only reason people want them is because they are bad people who are too lazy to be a parent. They'd rather kill the unborn baby and continue partying and being sluts then to be a good person and raise their child. Not to mention what follows if abortion becomes legal. For example, a couple of years after abortion becomes legal, any mentally impaired adult could be put down like an animal just because they can't live a normal life. Then people suffering from depression or any other mental condition could be put down just because they aren't normal! So basically, legal abortion is legal murder. After all, give them an inch, and they'll take a foot.