UnderHill
Zarroette

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best video game ever made.

Zarroette

UnderHill

Pro

I, as pro, take the burden of proof that Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made. Round one will be for acceptance, and for my opponent's opening statement.
Zarroette

Con

Accepted. Bring it, buddy.
UnderHill

Pro

Thanks for accepting, and good luck.

First I would like to explain why I make this claim. Obviously it isn't for its graphics, but is this needed for a game to be the best ever? Well, I suppose that's why we're debating this in the first place.

Awards and Scores

I probably don't already have to say this, but Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. With the most perfect scores of any game ever made.

IGN- 10.0/10 "Masterpiece"

Allgame- five out of five stars

Edge- 10/10

Electronic Gaming Monthly- 10/10

Famitsu- 40/40

GamePro- five out of five stars

Game Revolution- "A"

GameSpot- 10.0/10

Electric Playground- 10/10

GameStyle- 10/10

GMR- 10/10

Next Generation Magazine- five out of five stars

Nitendojo- 10/10

RPGamer- 5/5

Thunderbolt- 10/10

It was awarded "Game of the Year" in 1998 by the following publications: the CESA Award, Electronic Games Monthly, Games, Game Spot, Interactive Achievment Award, Japan Media Arts Festival, and the VSDA award.

It has also been awarded, "Greatest Game of All Time" by the following publications: CVG, Edge, Entertaiment Weekly, GameFAQs, Game Stats, Game Trailers, Guinness, IGN, Metacritic, Next Generation, and Nintendo Power.

The Perfect Game?

Many people argue that a game can't be perfect, and that every game has its flaws, but what is considered a flaw without something for a game to be compared to? Ocarina of Time established this foundation against which other games would be judged. Edge magazine commented in its 2007 "The 100 Best Games" special issue, "[Ocarina of Time] was an astonishing achievement in 1998 and, almost a decade later, still serves as the landmark for its successors and 3D adventure games in general... In a series composed of awfully big adventures, Ocarina may no longer be the prettiest, or even the biggest, but it's still the best of all."

Sales

At 7.6 million sales to date, OOT doesn't seem very impressive, but just when the PS1 seemed like it would eliminate the N64 from any contention, Ocarina of Time single handedly evened the playing field between consoles, and kept Nintendo in the race. Sony wasn't able to match Ocarina of Time with a game as good, which some believe won Nintendo the fifth-generation war.

Gameplay

The total game takes about 20 hours if you have some idea of what you're doing, and much longer if you're first playing it. Zelda games have traditionally been long and entertaining, giving you more than what you've paid for. I will get into more specific gameplay in later rounds.

I eagerly await my opponent's response.

Zarroette

Con

I thank Underhill for the arguments.

I’m going to counter-argument by suggesting better games, taking a somewhat in depth analysis with each one.

Graphics

In regards to graphics, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (OOT) has some atrocious graphics. As depicted below, the rough polygonal shapes, the simplistic sky, the textureless ground and the wall of the left made out of goodness-knows-what, surmount to an indication of woeful graphics.

https://www.google.com.au...

Comparatively, GTA III: San Andreas (GTA 3) has better graphics. Whilst not incredibly better, the ground actually has texture, for example.

https://www.google.com.au...

Sandbox Element

I’d like to say that a sandbox element (i.e. free-roam; do what you want) can make a game extremely fun to play. It’s so nice to come home, after a stressful day at school or work, and just going around on a game doing whatever you want. Often, you don’t want to be further stressed with the rigours of a difficult game. The sandbox element in GTA 3 is incredibly good, arguably the best ever, and certainly much better than OOT’s.

The sandbox element to GTA 3 is far superior to OOT. Here is a list of fun, sandbox-type things that you can do in GTA 3 (not including the main storyline, which takes approximately 32.5 hours to complete, 11.5 more than OOT [2]):

- Driving passengers around, being a taxi driver

- Driving injured people to hospitals

- Crime-fighting as a police officer

- Skill levelling (such a maximum sprinting time, weapons mastery etc.)

- Committing burglary

- Searching for high-powered weapons

- Character customisation (albeit basic, but more intricate than OOT’s)

- Listening to strangers on the street talk to each other (some conversations are quite interesting and/or amusing)

- Listen to a dozen or so radio stations (again, some of the stuff said on the radio stations is quite funny. You can also listen to music)

- Pimping

- Driving a car, truck or motor-cycle (many different types to choose from)

- Driving a train

- Driving a boat

- Riding around on a push-bike, being able to do tricks and be scored

- Flying airplanes and helicopters

- Jumping off buildings/planes with a parachute (or lack of one)

- Shooting people

- Fist-fighting people

- General exploring

Keeping in mind that these things are NOT part of the main storyline, meaning these aspects are the sandbox experience. Yes, OOT has sandbox elements too, but these are lesser in comparison to GTA’s.

Total Sales

My opponent has suggested that OOT has “7.6 million sales to date”. Whilst this isn’t cited, GTA 3 has, according to Take-Two Interactive, 21.5 million units sold [1]. Given that GTA 3 has far less time to accumulate sales (released in 2004, compared to OOT’s 1998 release), yet it exceeds OOT’s sales by a considerable margin, it should be obvious that in this regard, GTA 3 easily wins.

Game of the year – in 1998

My opponent has cited several game reviews, all with impressive scores. However, most of those scores were given in 1998. Since then, many other games have exceeded OOT’s prowess. Yes, relative to its time, OOT was arguably the best game. However, with today’s updated graphics, more computing power to make worlds bigger etc.-, OOT no longer competes with these games.

‘Greatest games of all time’

My opponent lists a dozen gaming magazines/companies/experts that have said that OOT is the greatest game of all time. However, this in itself is an appeal to authority, meaning that simply because someone of great power claims something, that does not mean what is said is necessarily true. I urge you, as a reader, to decide for yourself whether this game is ‘the greatest of all time’, by taking into consideration this debate.

Better quotes

Here is a list of things Link says in OOT:

-

On the other hand, GTA 3 has some incredible one-liners [3]:

Carl Johnson: [while falling from a great height] WHAT THE F*CK?

DJ The Funktipus: I'm the Funktipus and I got my tentacles wrapped around your San Andreas, ain't my fault.

Carl Johnson: [jacking someone] Now you can buy a new one!

Carl Johnson: [shooting somebody] Welcome to America.

Saddest moment

GTA 3 has one of the saddest moments in videogame history, which comes during the train mission, as depicted in the picture below:

https://www.google.com.au...

------------------------------

References/Sources

[1]http://web.archive.org...

[2] http://www.howlongtobeat.com...

[3] http://www.imdb.com...

UnderHill

Pro

UnderHill forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

Extend my arguments...
UnderHill

Pro

UnderHill forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

I'm going to run out of room to extend my arguments into, if my opponent keeps this up.
UnderHill

Pro

UnderHill forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

My opponent has failed to address my counter-arguments.
Posted by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
I can't post my argument for some reason .............................
Posted by Aleksandr 3 years ago
Aleksandr
The biggest flaw in games is in choosing a majority of type of players. This game is perfect in many ways made for everyone. For example, the combat in this game wasn'tfun for me even though it had great combat at the time.
Vote Placed by codemeister13 3 years ago
codemeister13
UnderHillZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for FF by Pro. Sources to Con for listing where they found their information. S&G were equivalent. Arguments were a place I had trouble. Each side created a wonderful opening case but neither had me sold to one particular side. I would have enjoyed seeing rebuttals, rather than solely opening statements.
Vote Placed by TheAntidoter 3 years ago
TheAntidoter
UnderHillZarroetteTied
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
UnderHillZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
UnderHillZarroetteTied