Trollacracy
JPROSP8

The Legend of Zelda is a better game series than Mario Bros .

Trollacracy
Started: 1/5/2014 Category: Games

Trollacracy

Pro

First round will be acceptance.

Then after that, we just debate the topic for the rest of the rounds and let the voters do what they do.

All games of both series are included.
JPROSP8

Con

I accept the challenge. Mario is a way better game series than Zelda will ever be.
Trollacracy

Pro

All right, let's get to it then.

A. The origin of the games.

As we all know Super Mario Bros. was Nintendo's first "home-run" of a video game. I'm not going to deny that. It was a great sidescrolling game where you jumped on enemies and through one stage to get to the next.

A few years after the release of Super Mario Bros. came the release of the Legend of Zelda. The Legend of Zelda was a revolutionary game from Nintendo. For the first time, you could actually choose where you wanted to go in the game. You could go explore a cave, tackle the next main boss in the storyline, or some sort of sidequest. The Legend of Zelda mixed the qualities or action, adventure, and puzzle solving into one game, and that game turned out to be one of the largest, and most popular, franchises of nintendo history.

B. The Nintendo 64 era.

I'm relatively positive that we can both agree that when the Nintendo 64 came out, Nintendo made some huge changes to both of the game series. Creating both Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, which are the most favored games in both series.

(1) The Ocarine of Time still had the action, adventure, and puzzle characteristics in it, but on a much larger scale. Several of the puzzles in the game were actually extremely challenging and required alot of ingenuity to get through them. The most infamous of the temples in the game was the dreaded water temple. It can get rather frustrating at times as well, but that just gives you even more satisfaction when you finally pass that puzzle.

(2) The Ocarina of Time also has a great combat system that is always feeling fresh. Beings you get new weapons in every temple you go through, the combat system never really gets stale, not to mention every enemy has a different way to defeat them. You can't just slash every enemy with your sword, you have to utilize every piece of equipment you posess to get through all of the foes.

(3) Ocarina of Time also didn't hold back on side quests, to keep you busy for hours. Getting all of the heart pieces is quite a challenge. To get these pieces you have to do all sorts of things, such as catching a large fish at the lake, play all of the different mini games offered throughout the course of the game, explore new regions, or shoot golden skulltulas off of the wall.

There are so many different things to do in the game, the gameplay rarely gets stale because of all of these different activities. Super Mario Bros just doesn't have enough diversity in the gameplay, the jist of it is running through course after course. Either jumping on, or throwing fireballs at, all of your enemies.
JPROSP8

Con

1st. Mario Bros. is an all time classic
Super Mario Bros. is a game that revolutionized the gaming industry. No video game can beat it. In 2005 IGN had poll for best video game of all time. The winner of that poll was Super Mario Bros. (http://top100.ign.com...). To this day people still play this game.
2nd. Zelda is repetitive
According to http://venturebeat.com... is repetitve. It also states that the difficulty is easy. Every Zelda game has the same mechanics. Its the same kind of story with only a few things different.
3rd Mario Spin-offs
Mario has created countless spin-offs. For example MarioKart. This one series has created a multitude of spinoffs. It has also spawned a movie. What can Zelda say to that.

You mention Ocarina of Time a lot. That is one game out of the several others in the series. So what if one game was good. We are talking about the series as a whole.

Without the creation of Super Mario we would not have Zelda. Mario saved Nintendo. Without Mario there is no Zelda.

Trollacracy

Pro

A. You never told my why.

There are so many polls done on "the best video game ever." Like this one! Done by Official Nintendo magazine. http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk... Your just telling me "No video game can beat it" you're not supplying me with any actual reason as to why, except that it is a classic. People also play The Legend of Zelda to this day as well... as it is also a classic.

B. Zelda is not repetitive.

I click on your venture beat link and nothing appears... But nonetheless,I have given you several reasons to tell you exactly why Zelda ISN'T repetitive. You have given me none. There is alot to the story... if you wish to read about some of the earlier games storyline I will post a link. http://www.zeldalegends.net... Do you fail to see the how repetitive Mario is? You run through a course, jumping on different enemies. Shooting some fireballs and flying.

C. Your third point.

Yes, Mario has several different spin offs. There are alot more Mario games than Zelda, but I fail to see how that makes it the better game. Also, if you are honestly going to defend the Super Mario Bros. movie, as a good thing, then there is something very wrong here. Practically everything about that movie is awful, let's watch a review, shall we?
;(the review was placed in the top right of this arguement, not sure how to change it) Every review I have seen of the movie is not any nicer, either.

You tell me I mentioned Ocarina of Time alot. Yes, I actually labeled the section "Nintendo 64 era." But I also go into further detail on this game because it is the best game in the series for many, many people. They also introduced the most new things in this game. It seems you want me to mention every Zelda game in detail, when you fail to do one with Mario. I am not going to go in depth on every game, that would be absurd.

D. Your last comment was ridiculous

There is absolutely no reason stated as to why Zelda wouldn't exist without Mario. The creator of Zelda (Shigeru Miyamoto) got the idea of the Legend of Zelda form his experiences as a young boy, exploring lakes, and caves. How does this directly relate to Mario at all? (1) http://www.link-uri.net...

Con fails to prove any of pro's points false, and provides insufficient material.
JPROSP8

Con

JPROSP8 forfeited this round.
Trollacracy

Pro

How unfortunate. I was looking forward to your reply.

Mario - 0 ; Zelda - 1
JPROSP8

Con

JPROSP8 forfeited this round.
Posted by Trollacracy 3 years ago
Trollacracy
The Zelda timeline is not screwed up. It makes perfect sense. I get that it is confusing, but not screwed up.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
Right, but it should definitely be taken into consideration that Mario is intentionally stomping on sentient beings he is trying to save. I should also be known that the Zelda timeline is screwed up.
Posted by JPROSP8 3 years ago
JPROSP8
We are not debating the psychological make up of characters. Rather, we are debating which game series is the better.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
Mario is mental. Would you trust your kids playing his game?!
Posted by Trollacracy 3 years ago
Trollacracy
Oh, Dump... I never left you. For I was always with you, in your heart.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
You're back! Trollacracy is back! THERE IS A GOD.
Vote Placed by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
TrollacracyJPROSP8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD: Forfeit. Go triforce.
Vote Placed by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
TrollacracyJPROSP8Tied
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
TrollacracyJPROSP8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: F.
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
TrollacracyJPROSP8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff