The Likely hood of the success or failure of the hypothetical government from starship troopers BOOK

Thank you for aceppting this debate, I will be debate from the pro side that a government that is like the one based in the book starship troopers has a more likely hood of succeeding that any of our current world governments or governments in the past in the long term,the con will debate that is unlikely or impractical in the long run,
it will start will an opening then a rebuttal and then the closing argument s.
thank you

Of course,this Government would ultimately end up failing, Fascism and Militarism is not a popular nor successful way of government, you have to know that Democracy would in the long term end up being the main form of government in the Established setting...

Again I would like to thank you for for accepting this debate and look forward to your augment and points.

I would first like to start by pointing out to my opponent that the government in the book has no name, for it take various pieces from several types of government and I will explain in the following paragraphs as to why it has no name and the similarities it possess to past and current governments.

First, there are two classes in said society there are CIVILIANS and there are CITIZENS, what is the difference you may ask simple the electoral franchise I. voting, civilians enjoy all of the same rights as present day Americans ,speech, assembly,due process, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but they have no right to vote on any political venue whether it be county state or country ( in the book it s a one world government), Citizens are the same as civilians only separated by a voluntary service of no less than two years and as long as is necessary military service and after there discharge are granted that last right cannot vote while still in service, now how does this not compare to 1. Fascism by definition is : A political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascist) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition. With this definition I am grouping despotism,monarchy s, Militarism as well as Totalitarianism, all because at abase level they are a dictatorship as we know today now how do all of these different from the theoretical government of star ship troopers ,1 its not one leader2. people do vote on all matters of political venue, 3. civilians have right which are protected by law, Also this is not a Oligarchy which is a small group of powerful people usually that are rich that make the decisions only because they have all the money, Nor is this a Democracy because civilians have no right to vote also because even if they did they don't partake on direct issue s like whether to go to war or not, what this government most closely represents is a republic like Ancient Rome or the Modern U.S government system with just a few more loop holes in the process of Voting for good measure.

Now that I have pointed out the differences I would liked place my argument as to why it would last longer than any current or past government type.

1. Rights/ here's why when it comes to rights everyone still has the main body of them, speech,assembly,silence I even believe to bear arms although they don't talk much on that one, so as a civilian your still protected under the law no worrying about being carted of fin the middle of the night.

2.Discipline or abiding by the law/ Laws here are punished with more likely hood of working on teenagers and adults ex Flogging in the book they flog or publicly whip them, why you may ask is this a good method of correction , I ll let a quote explain, "While a judge should be benevolent in purpose; his awards should cause the criminal to suffer, else there is no punishment - and pain is the basic mechanism built into us by millions of years of evolution which safeguards us by warning when something threatens our survival. Why should society refuse to use such a highly perfected survival mechanism?" LT. Cornel Dubious Morals and Philosophy teacher in star ship troopers. when pain is cause we try to avoid it at all cost so if you steal and your within reasonable age lets say from 14 up your flogged but that's not all so is your father or mother only for not properly instilling morals into you as a parent should, Cruel?,Barbaric? I say no look at our society today teens theivs,murders and vandals all due to poor parenting no instilling of morals or proper punishment again on this note and the quote from the book, "I told you that 'juvenile delinquent' is a contradiction in terms. 'Delinquent' means 'failing in duty.' But duty is an adult virtue—indeed a juvenile becomes an adult when, and only when, he acquires a knowledge of duty and embraces it as dearer than the self-love he was born with. There never was, there cannot be a 'juvenile delinquent.' But for every juvenile criminal there are always one or more adult delinquents—people of mature years who either do not know their duty, or who, knowing it, fail."
Source: Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Page 120

3.Morality/ lets face it probably the most important one, this one word is what every society is based off of, morality leads to values,values to viewpoints, and lastly view points to action, if a society's moral are sound then its children will be moral and sound, as an ex U.S 1950 peak of U.S cultural morality,don't steal, lie,murder ext crimes rates all time low peak if scientific discover and when the country and communities where more important than the self,a quote is in order I believe,"Correct morality can only be derived from what man is—not from what do-gooders and well-meaning aunt Nellies would like him to be."
again "Basic truths cannot change and once a man of insight expresses one of them it is never necessary, no matter how much the world changes, to reformulate them. This is immutable, true everywhere, throughout all time, for all men and all nations."
and again, The basis of all morality is duty"
Lt Cornel Dubois ret moral and philosophy teacher, lets face it our world has seen a sharp decline in morality, and with it duty, duty to ones country,states,family and oneself, and because of his our world is becoming more and more dangerous by the year month and day,

In Conclusion the "Federation" in the book addressed all these and more and because of the Simple and Effective laws and the stern adhesion to morality has made the world in the book better as a whole, and I believe this could work for several reasons one because we take everything for granted now days there is no price from many of the great things we have speech freedom liberty and best of the pursuit of happiness, with no price there is no value with no value there is no worth and no worth equals death literal or figuratively, the price was paid for many times in the past but with out a renewal our morality as a whole is going to get worse.

"tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

Source: Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Page 93

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Freedom has the highest of costs, the blood of a nations children and fathers, the tears of the nations mothers,wives and daughters.
-Stone,Nathan First class apothecary United states Navy 1940

I myself am a service man and have no right of speech without possible repercussion,no right of assembly,and have no right for the pursuit of happiness, I am paying and paid the price as have my forefathers for life liberty and freedom,and it kills to see our youth abuse what they have due to the negligence of parents and society to correct what must be corrected, that why I think this type of government would work.

Weatherwatcher forfeited this round.

SiVisPacem_ParaBellum forfeited this round.

Weatherwatcher forfeited this round.
Posted by Gileandos 4 years ago
This would be an argument about what is "success" to each side.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
I enjoyed the cartoon series and the movie was campy fun but I never knew a book existed. I wonder if anyone does.