Hayd
ansuma

The Majority of Religious Followers are Obsessed with God

Hayd
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Hayd

Con

Preface
I, as Con, will be arguing that religious followers are not obsessed with their god(s). My opponent, Pro, will be arguing that they are. I would prefer my opponent to be a theist, but it is not required. I'm looking to have an intelligent and fun debate. Please do not accept this debate if you are not going to take it seriously.

Full Topic

The majority of religious followers are obsessed with their god(s).

Round Structure
R1 Acceptence
R2 Opening Arguments
R3 Rebuttals

Rules
A forfeiture is an automatic loss.

No new arguments in any rounds except R2.

Maintain a respectful manner throughout entire debate.

No “kritiks”

BoP is shared.

Breaking these rules will result in a loss.

Terms
Obsessed- a state in which someone thinks about someone or something constantly or frequently especially in a way that is not normal.
Majority- more than 50%.
Religious- the state of following a religion.
Theist- a person who believes in god(s).
Normal- regarded by society as acceptable.

By accepting this debate, you accept all rules and terms. If you have any concerns feel free to PM me, until then I look forward to a good debate!

ansuma

Pro

I accept your challenge. I am thinking that when you say acceptance, you are asking if I am accepting your challenge, which I am.
Hayd

Con

C1) Normality

P1) According to the definition of obsessed, one must think about something or someone in a way that isn’t normal.
P2) The majority of society is obsessed with god(s).
P3) If the majority of society is obsessed with god(s), then it is rendered normal.
C1) Obsession with god(s) is normal.
P4) Obsession must pertain to something that is abnormal. Since obsession with god(s) is normal, it is not regarded as obsessive.
C2) Religious people are not obsessed with their god(s).

Support for P1)

The definition of obsession given in R1 was; a state in which someone thinks about someone or something constantly or frequently especially in a way that is not normal.

This is the same definition that Pro accepted in R1.

Support for P2)

The majority of society has a belief in god(s).

A comprehensive demographic study of more than230countries and territories conducted by the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life estimates that there are5.8 billionreligiously affiliated adults and children around the globe, representing84% of the 2010 world population of6.9 billion.

http://www.pewforum.org...

The majority of religious followers also think about their god(s) frequently.

According to Barna Research, about 64% of people pray to their religion’s god(s) multiple times a day.
http://www.churchleaders.com...

Support for P3)

As P2 demonstrates, the majority of society obsesses about their god(s), since it is the majority this is a normal thing to do.

Support for P4)

Support for P1) validates this as true. (See Support for P1))

I have provided evidence and effectively demonstrated the validity of each premise, therefore rendering the conclusion true. I look forward to my opponent’s arguments, thank you!
ansuma

Pro

ansuma forfeited this round.
Hayd

Con

All arguments extended, Pro has broken a rule which constitutes a loss. By default I have won this debate.
ansuma

Pro

ansuma forfeited this round.
Posted by AndyHood 2 years ago
AndyHood
I'd gladly take this debate on if you didn't define obsessed as "not normal", and normal as "societally acceptable"... this makes the entire argument circularly tight because the majority of the World follow a religion! Just because 84% of the World think that there is a God, we shouldn't define the degree to which they obsess about their God as "normal" just because of the numbers. I consider it profoundly abnormal to obsess about God, although I do think that most people who believe in a God do obsess about that belief... indeed, it's quite hard to imagine how one could avoid doing so if one's faith was sincere.
Vote Placed by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
Haydansuma
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Pro broke a rule and forfeited. 'Nuff said.