LoveyounoHomo
ozziegirl

The McDonalds $1 Menu is a good value

ozziegirl

LoveyounoHomo

Con

No, it is not. Pro may start the Argument. I wish him the best of luck.
ozziegirl

Pro

"Countries without McDonald's and Coca Cola, are probably supporting terrorism." - Loesje from Think Exist.

Although a humorous quote, we all know its true: McDonald's is the route to a quick, filling meal. With their large drinks for a buck, fries, an ice cream cone or sundae, a McDouble, and even a salad, McDonald's is the first thought of fast and easy food that first enters the average American's mind.

McDonald's first launched a national dollar menu in 2002 and America was ecstatic. Having a dollar menu was one of the biggest moves McDonald's had made in years. Because of this move, McDonald's has drawn in more crowds than ever before. Why? Because the dollar menu IS a good value. This is why I stand in affirmation of the resolution: the McDonald's dollar menu is a good value.

First, before I begin my contentions, we must look at the resolution. What does it mean by a "good value?" And to whom? A good value, by Merriam Webster's definition, is "a fair return in exchange of money." Now, think about a dollar. If you look around hard enough in your car, you're bound to find a few coins scattered around that make up a little over a dollar. What can you do with these spare coins? You could buy a filling McDouble burger from McDonald's. You can't buy much else with a dollar, but at McDonald's, they give you a bang for your buck.

Now, onto my contentions:

1) The McDonald's dollar menu has something for everyone.

2) A dollar for a burger or a large drink IS a good value.

3) Other dollar menus don't compete with McDonald's.

First, the McDonald's dollar menu has something for everyone. Whether you're on a diet or you're a sweet tooth craving a cone, the variety of foods are provided in the dollar menu. With salads and yogurt parfaits, with burgers and fries, the dollar menu has it all. Without having to pull out that five dollar bill, McDonald's has provided a way for people to get a filling meal for a cheap price.

When I said "for everyone," I meant it. People who are trying to save money are able to not fall off the wagon by using the handy dollar menu. It also helps the homeless. Someone I am very close to wanted to do a good deed for a homeless man, who was on the cold street. My friend took him to McDonald's and bought him a burger and drink off of the dollar menu. The homeless man hadn't had a meal in a long time, and my friend was able to do something nice for him with the help of the dollar menu. Although a cheesy story, it's true--the dollar menu was helpful for my friend, who was able to hand out dollar burgers to homeless.

Onto my second contention: A dollar for a burger or a large drink IS a good value. Wouldn't you agree that buying a burger, a drink, or even an ice cream cone for a dollar is a great price? When someone says, "Let's get some fast food," what is the first thing you think of? That's right, McDonald's. Why is that? Because 1) it tastes good and 2) its cheap.

Thirdly, other dollar menus don't compete with McDonald's. The McDonald's dollar menu provides a large variety of many foods. Think of Dairy Queen, a place that doesn't even have a dollar menu, yet you can get a dollar sundae or ice cream cone at McDonald's for a same sweet taste.

Wendy's dollar menu consists of burgers, fries, and wraps. McDonald's dollar menu, on the other hand, has ice cream, sundaes, burgers, fries, a large drink, a salad, and a yogurt parfait. With more variety than any other fast food restaurant, McDonald's has crawled to America's #1.

For the reasons above, this is why I urge an affirmative ballot. Thank you.
LoveyounoHomo

Con

First i would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

McDonalds has no doubht been apart of America and other countries. With its dollar menu and other foods how can you go wrong? Well i will try to explain that the 1$ menu is infact not a good value. As my opponent said value is a fair return in exchange of money. Most definently it is not a fair exhange. McDonalds has been in America for some time now and look at were we are at. We are the country known to be "Fat" and "Overweight". So when your thinking about that McDonalds and how it is only a 1$ think about what you are eating. I would certainly not mind paying a extra buck for a fruit cup, which is surely much healthier.

Now to rebut my opponents contentions.

My opponent states that "With salads and yogurt parfaits, with burgers and fries, the dollar menu has it all". I do not know where you live but last time i checked the 1$ menu did not have salads and parfaits on it. Certainly i have not seen a salad or parfait that is 5$ either at a fast food restaraunt.

Now when you start bringing up the heart-warming story about the homeless man and the Dollar Menu. I feel quite sad for the homeless man who is already in a struggle, and he had to eat a McDonalds burger. Sure he only spent a dollar but that certainly isnt a fair trade. Remeber we are debating that it is a good value.

So let me get this straight? You are saying that a burger and a drink is a good value for 2$? Sure you are getting a burger and a drink but think about what you are eating. It is a little more indepth than you seem to play it as. You get a double burger that is between two buns. It is a small patty that could be played off as just one patty. They arent the most healthiest thing to eat either. Most people in America would rather have good food for more than bad food for less. Your basically implying that it is ok to go cheaper for less as long as it is cheaper. That is not a good theory.

You would bring up Dairy Queen. I would never even think about comparing a ice cream cone at DQ, to a ice cream come at McDonalds. Have you ever had a problem at McDonalds with ice-cream before? I have gone there many times trying to get a ice-cream cone and they have said "There machine is broken". Look how far a dollar gets you then.

Certainly there is other places with a more valued dollar menu. Just because McDonalds has a bigger list of items does not mean that is is surely a better value. Wendys dollar menu has a double burger on it also. Unlike the Small, shriveled up patty McDonalds gives you Wendys gives you a Mean Double burger. It actually looks like what you payed for! There fries are certainly a better value, and there wraps are healthier than anything on the McDonalds menu.
You could even look at Taco bell. I mean a double cheesy beef burrito for 89 cent. Wow i call that a value unlike McDonalds. Just because something is #1 does not mean it is the best value. McDonalds was #1 before the dollar menu, that just helped make America unhealthier than it already was.

Vote Con Thank-You
ozziegirl

Pro

Before I continue this debate, I would also like to thank my opponent for bringing up this debate.

First, I would like to respectfully address my opponents arguments. My opponent brought up the idea that America is known to be "fat" and "overweight." Which is completely true. BUT I would like to point out that the dollar menu has nothing to do with this fact. This debate, according to the resolution, is discussing whether the dollar meal is a good value or not, unless my opponent is saying, "If you're gonna get fat, why not get the most expensive meal on the menu?" A dollar menu has nothing to do with fatness and being overweight.

But since my opponent brought it up, I'd like to share how the dollar menu is a little healthier than other items on the regular McDonald's menu. Compared to a Big Mac and a supersized meal, the McDonald's dollar menu is relatively normal, cheap food. According to FitForSummer.com, a Big Mac consists of 560 calories, 85mg cholesterol, and 1070mg in sodium. Compared to a McDouble, which only has 438 calories, 920mg of sodium, and 65mg cholesterol. The McDouble is slightly healthier than the Big Mac, with its 22g of protein and 20% in iron and vitamin C (according to myfitnesspal.com).

My opponent also said, "I would certainly not mind paying a extra buck for a fruit cup, which is surely much healthier." Indeed, a fruit cup would be healthy. That is why the McDonald's dollar menu provides some healthy alternatives to the normal burger. The McDonald's dollar menu provides a yogurt parfait, which has fruit and is a good source of vitamin C. Also, you are able to purchase a salad for just a dollar at McDonald's. Both of those would be more filling than a small fruit cup, and also very healthy. You can also order a side of apple dippers, which are cut apples from a kid's meal. All of these are a dollar, and also very healthy.

Secondly, my opponent said, "I do not know where you live but last time i checked the 1$ menu did not have salads and parfaits on it. Certainly i have not seen a salad or parfait that is 5$ either at a fast food restaraunt." It does not matter where I live, those items are on the dollar menu at your average McDonald's. Please check the official McDonald's website on their dollar menu in the link I have provided for proof: http://cep.mcdonalds.com....

Thirdly, my opponent brought up, "I feel quite sad for the homeless man who is already in a struggle, and he had to eat a McDonalds burger. Sure he only spent a dollar but that certainly isnt a fair trade. Remeber we are debating that it is a good value." Why would it NOT be a good value? My friend could buy 10 burgers for 10 homeless people instead of going elsewhere and having to spend more money for a burger that isn't as filling. And you should not feel sad that the homeless HAD to eat a McDonald's burger; he needed something to eat, and he was thrilled that he could have a meal that night. It was his choice.

Fourthly, my opponent has brought up his incident at McDonald's about the broken ice cream machine. I apologize for your luck, but most of the ice cream machines in America aren't broken. My opponent also said, "Look how far a dollar gets you then." I would like to point out that if the machine is broken, you aren't actually paying for the ice cream. Buy two apple pies for a dollar instead, which would be just as tasty as an ice cream cone.

Fifthly, my opponent brought up, "You could even look at Taco bell. I mean a double cheesy beef burrito for 89 cent. Wow i call that a value unlike McDonalds." This is true, BUT Taco Bell only provides a few options on their value menu, compared to McDonald's which has a large variety of foods, which I explained in the first round.

I would like to ask my opponent for clarification in the following paragraph: So let me get this straight? You are saying that a burger and a drink is a good value for 2$? Sure you are getting a burger and a drink but think about what you are eating. It is a little more indepth than you seem to play it as. You get a double burger that is between two buns. It is a small patty that could be played off as just one patty. They arent the most healthiest thing to eat either. Most people in America would rather have good food for more than bad food for less.

If my opponent could explain his thoughts in this paragraph a little more, I would appreciate it very much.

My opponent has failed to show any solid reasons (besides his broken ice cream machine incident) why the McDonald's dollar menu is NOT a good value. So, for the reasons I have given, which include:

1) the value meal is healthier than the regular McDonald's menu

2) it is a good value, as I have proven in the story with my friend and the homeless man

3) the McDonald's dollar menu has a variety of foods no other fast food restaurant has

I would like to respectfully ask for an affirmative vote in this debate. Thank you.
LoveyounoHomo

Con

Again i would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate.

By saying Fat and Overweight i meant that the dollar menu couldnt help. What i was trying to express is that it isnt a good value. Such as you eat a unhealthy double burger for 1$ and what do you get in return? You get health problems and such. Not from 1 but if you eat many.
My opponent clearly states that the McDouble is healthier than the BigMac. The BigMac is not on the dollar menu for many reasons. It is bigger and has more ingredients and such that come with it. Just because the BigMac isnt on the dollar menu and the double cheeseburger is does not mean that the McDouble is still healthy.

The McDonalds dollar menu indeed has healthy alternatives to a normal burger. None the less the quality still isnt good. Remeber the definition (as we both stated) of value is getting a fair exhange. I have gotten the things that my opponent mentions and they are not to me worth a dollar. The yogurt parfait is fairly small along with apple dippers. They may be healthy but you could get something three times as big for another dollar. Not really that big of a deal.

My opponent has indeed found a flaw in my Text. I am sorry for that. I do not eat at McDonalds anymore so they may have updated it.

My opponent states that there friend could buy 10 burgers for 10 homeless people instead of going elsewhere and having to spend more money for a burger that isnt as filling. Since when are other places not filling. Wendys has better taste and quality for 99 Cent and they are just as even more filling that the McDouble. Spend a extra buck and get a Triple burger which you cant compare to a double cheeseburger. Certainly once again a better exchange for that dollar.

I brought up my incident because it has happened to me more than once. Service is surely a big part. You order something off the dollar menu, and you cant even get it because the machine is broken. Why buy two apple pies? When you can just go to DQ and get a much better tasting cone for 40 more cents?. Once again i state this is a better exchange as the definition of value says.

Taco bell may provide a few options compared to McDonalds but once again a better exchange. No matter how much McDonalds has on their menu it still cant match the 20 cent lower price of something more filling and tasty. My opponent also keeps bringing up the fact that McDonalds has a large variety of foods. Which is true but really wont help in this debate. You can have 2 McDonalds things for 2 dollars and 2 Taco bell things for 2 dollars. Regardless of wether McDonalds has more variety it still isnt a better exchange. Surely the 2 Taco bell things you order is a better exchange than anything McDonalds has to put up.

I will clarify what i meant in a couple of sentences. I was saying that for your dollar you are getting a McDouble. It basically looks like a regular cheeseburger because the pattys are very thin and not filling. i also said paying more for better food is a great exchange. McDonalds bad food for a dollar is certainly not a good exchange.

All of my reasons show why the McDonalds dollar menu is not a good value.

1. Other places have a better dollar menu that is a better exchange.

2. It is not a good value for what you are getting.

3. While the McDonalds menu has a variety of foods that still cannot mean they are a better exchange than any other 1$ menu.

Vote Con, I look forward to the final round of this debate.
ozziegirl

Pro

Seeing as this is the last round, I would like to thank my opponent for a fun debate. I would also like to thank my opponent for being sincere about his flaw and his apology.

Before I rebut my opponents arguments, I would like to share a story. 35-year-old Merab Morgan, a mother of two, took on a fast food diet with McDonald's. Morgan only ate at McDonald's for 90 days, taking healthy things from the menu (such as the salad from the dollar menu) and she lost 37 pounds. She ate all 3 meals a day, not starving herself and eating properly. But she did however become healthier with the help of the McDonald's diet. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com...)

It is not a lie that McDonald's offers healthy alternatives. According to a "Daily Collegian News" article, McDonald's meals are not as fattening as one may think. Many of these healthy alternatives on the McDonald's meal is on the dollar menu, which in turn is a good and healthier value than my opponent seems to believe.

First, I would like to clarify what my opponent said. He said, "By saying fat and overweight, I meant that the dollar menu couldn't help." I would like to respectfully point out that this is not true. Unless my opponent is saying that a salad or a yogurt parfait or apple dippers are NOT healthy, then he is unaware that these things indeed ARE healthy and these items ARE on the dollar menu at McDonald's.

My opponent talks about how I compared the McDouble (a dollar menu item) to a Big Mac (a regular menu item). I am grateful that he agreed with me that the McDouble is healthier than the Big Mac, and I thank my opponent for helping me prove my point. I would also like to thank my opponent for agreeing that, "The McDonalds dollar menu indeed has healthy alternatives to a normal burger." I would like to point out that this is a contradiction to his earlier statement that the dollar menu couldn't help health-wise.

My opponent said, "The yogurt parfait is fairly small along with apple dippers. They may be healthy but you could get something three times as big for another dollar." My opponent has not provided a healthier alternative that costs a dollar that is "three times as big," therefore I would like to point out that I have provided several choices on the McDonald's dollar menu that are healthy and cost a dollar that are just as filling.

Secondly, my opponent brings up the idea that service is a big part of the dollar menu. I apologize for his several ice cream incidents, but I can assure you that every McDonald's I've been to has had perfectly fine ice cream machines. And he said himself that he had not been to a McDonald's in a long time; if he had not been to a McDonald's, how would he know if the ice cream machines had not been updated? He wouldn't know.

My opponent said, "My opponent also keeps bringing up the fact that McDonalds has a large variety of foods. Which is true but really wont help in this debate." However, I argue that it WILL help in this debate. Places like Wendy's has only a few burgers and some nuggets, yet McDonald's has burgers and fries and nuggets and deserts and salads, etc. The McDonald's dollar menu has a larger variety than any other fast food restaurant. My opponent cannot deny that McDonald's is the largest fast food restaurant in the United States, thus having the largest selection for anyone to choose from.

As my opponent clarified, "Paying more for better food is a great exchange. McDonalds bad food for a dollar is certainly not a good exchange."

I have a question: If McDonald's is such a horrible place that you try to make it seem, then how is it the biggest fast food restaurant in the nation? Why do millions of Americans go there everyday to eat? Why is it still in business if it is so horrible?

Now that I have rebutted my opponents arguments, I would like to take the time to defend some of his attacks and rebuild my own case.

Firstly, my opponent brought up the idea that Wendy's burger is a cent cheaper. However true this may be, I do not believe a single cent makes much difference. He also mentioned, "Spend a extra buck and get a Triple burger which you cant compare to a double cheeseburger." I would like to point out that a Triple Burger is not on the Wendy's dollar menu, therefore is irrelevant in this debate.

Secondly, my opponent brought up 40 cents more for an ice cream at Dairy Queen. Again, I would like to keep this debate under the grounds of a dollar menu. If we begin comparing a McDonald's burger to a $50 gourmet burger in France, it defeats the purpose of the debate: the dollar menu. It is a key word in the resolution, therefore I would like to respectfully remain with that resolution instead.

For the following reasons:

2) it is a good value, as I have proven in the prier rounds

I would like to respectfully ask for an affirmative vote in this debate. I again thank my opponent for a fun debate, and I thank the viewers of this debate. Thank you and good luck for the future.
Posted by Yuanti 8 years ago
Yuanti
No mention of hidden environmental costs of producing these $1.00 meals? It takes 15,500 liters of water to produce 1lb of beef. Hamburgers are good value in terms of dollar cost, but they are not in terms of environmental cost.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
THanks guys
Posted by burningpuppies101 8 years ago
burningpuppies101
LoveyounoHomo:

You should not worry about whether you win or lose. The only purpose of that is so that you can get better. Since you are currently losing, I would suggest that you look over the debate and take notes of the arguments and rebuttals. See where you didn't respond and what you didn't respond as well as you could have.

Here's my voting breakdown:
Conduct: PRO. It was about the same, but PRO constantly thanking his opponent throughout the round got me. CON, in the future, take maybe 50 characters and thank everyone. It does wonders. that applies for real debate too.

Spelling and Grammar: TIE. It was about the same, nothing major.

Arguments: PRO. Con made some good arguments, but he never actually showed why the dollar menu is a bad value. You did a great job comparing the dollar menu to other chains, but that doesn't show why the dollar menu is a bad value. It only shows why the dollar menu is not as good a value as some other chains. BUT, you shouldn't have began with that tactic to begin with. The easy way for Con in this debate was to find out the true cost of making the things on the dollar menu. If you wanted to compare it, you have to make sure you are arguing in the same medium. Arguing apples to oranges doesn't work. This debate should have centered around monetary value, since the DOLLAR menu is about money.

Source: PRO. Homo, PRO got you with the one source from MCD. Provide some sources about your arguments.
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
Lose until you start winning and then lose some more is my advice. The longer you work at this, the better you'll get. If you were winning already then you wouldn't have to work and you might not get any better. You've debated a lot of people already and you're expressing, for the most part, coherent arguments. I call that success, win or lose. You're learning the basics of doing something that's extremely difficult, while gradually building your own style.

Summary: Losing sucks, but you don't. :)
Posted by SaraMarie 8 years ago
SaraMarie
Bobby, your arguments are just a tad bit weak. Spice it up a bit!
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
Grr, i always lose. i dont know wether its because of my debate or people just vote randomly because they like McDonalds. whatever
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
I'd could post two cartoon figures 'hugging' but it would get me banned. D:
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
Having a cute drawing of two androgynous cartoon figures hugging can get you votes as well!
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
You too..HAHa
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Being cute gets you votes, ozziegirl should post a picture.

(I kid... or do I? In before paedo remarks.)
Vote Placed by paramore102 8 years ago
paramore102
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by marin24 8 years ago
marin24
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by ozziegirl 8 years ago
ozziegirl
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by burningpuppies101 8 years ago
burningpuppies101
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by SaraMarie 8 years ago
SaraMarie
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
LoveyounoHomoozziegirlTied