jamesny14
czeekymonkey

The McLaren F1 is the greatest car ever built

Started: 7/31/2014 Category: Cars

jamesny14

Pro

Hey I'm kinda new to this whole site so sorry if my debate skills aren't so good lol. Anyways this is my first debate so cut me some slack if I'm not so good. I'm here to argue that the McLaren F1 is the greatest car ever made. Basically if you don't think it is then feel free to chime in and give your opinion. This discussion is probably going to be opinion based and fact based, based on the achievements of the McLaren and the opposing car if my opponent mentions one. If anyone wants to debate this they are more than welcome to. Anyways the McLaren is the greatest car ever built because of its unique layout, performance, and incredible racing history.
czeekymonkey

Con

Thank you for the open invitation and good luck in your first debate. I'd also like to commend you on your taste in cars. The McLaren is a fantastic car, but is it the best? I think not.

To give you a chance to fully elaborate on your points and stretch this debate out a little (it does go for five rounds), I'll keep this quick and not launch straight in with my main points. Instead, I'd like to point out that the reasons you've stated do not make the car intrinsically the greatest. Many cars have had unusual and unique layouts, many have had extreme levels of performance and many have had an incredible racing history (the Porsche 911 satisfies all three criteria), but these traits neither as standalone qualities nor as a collective validate the statement "The McLaren F1 is the greatest car ever built".

Have fun in your first debate, and good luck.
jamesny14

Pro

Czeeky Monkey thank you for accepting my debate and just kinda helping me out with the parameters and stuff. So here's my rebuttal. Porsches do have radical layouts along with Lamborghinis and Ferraris. What makes the McLaren unique is its ability to sit 3 people with the driver put directly in the middle of the car. This was done so that the driver would feel completely in control of the car. The reason McLaren did this was to make sure car was built without compromise to make it the most driver oriented car ever. They even had to get the law changed for this layout. They even decided to not put traction control, stability control, or anti lock brakes on the car because they claimed that it would interfere with the driving experience. Its structure was also unique. It was the first car to feature an all carbon fiber monocoque chassis. This helped add lightness to the car. The car also did not have a trunk. What you got was compartments on the side to store luggage among other things. It also has a gold lined engine bay. I haven't seen another car that has this feature. Apparently the gold helped with cooling the engine. Another unique feature to the McLaren F1 is that after 20 years it is still the fastest naturally aspirated car ever made with a top speed of 241 miles per hour. Just a little fun fact. The McLaren F1 was a built to race and after 20 years it can still race against todays Vipers, Vettes, Lambos, Porsches, and Ferraris and still win. McLaren wanted to build a street legal race car that could be modified to race with only a few tweaks. In the cars first Le Mans 24 hour race, it was classified as a GT1 car. This GT1 car ended up beating purpose built Le Mans prototype racers. This never happens. The McLaren ended up taking first, second, and third overall. Going back to its speed record it took little over a decade for it to be broken. This shows how far ahead of its time the F1 was in terms of speed. Anything this fast and unique is also rare with only 64 examples world wide it is unlikely that both you and i will see one on public roads. Especially since Mr. Bean crashed 3 of them.
czeekymonkey

Con

This debate will ultimately rest upon two things. Firstly, the way we approach and define the term "greatest". Can one car be inherently "greater" than all others? What does this mean and how can this be quantified? A large portion of this debate also rests upon the term "ever", how an older car can compare to newer vehicles, and how the McLaren stands today. This point is what I will be addressing in this argument.

There cannot be a "greatest car ever". How does one compare individual aspects of cars from completely different historical periods with entirely separate meanings for the automotive world? One cannot. How does one compare the standards of a car from 50 years ago to a car of today and state which is better not by today's standards, but from a perspective that is timeless. One cannot. Who is to say that the original VW Beetle is better than today's Beetle? Who is to say that the first Porsche is any better or worse than a Porsche from today? How can you compare a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini, or a Fiat, or a Skoda, or a Volvo of decades ago to one that exists today and claim that one is better by timeless, everlasting standards? How can you compare the effects of the first electric car to a Tesla of today? How can you compare the effects of the Miura, the first ever "supercar", to a car like the McLaren? Speaking of, how can you compare the effects of the F1 o that of the P1? The answer is, you can't.

For each period in time, a car means different things. Certainly the performance, quality, comfort, reliability and other aspects of a car increases as time passes and the company learns and improves. Progress and ingenuity come with time. But to compare aspects of cars from our current viewpoint with our current standards and expectations is not suited to the nature of the statement "The McLaren F1 is the greatest car ever built" with its timeless, objective stance. The truth is, we can't achieve a timeless, objective stance. We can't measure the level of a car from one period to the level of a car from another. We cannot quantify the term "ever".

For this reason, no car can be the greatest car ever, as to be so, it would have to be judged from a completely objective and timeless perspective, which cannot be achieved.
jamesny14

Pro

jamesny14 forfeited this round.
czeekymonkey

Con

czeekymonkey forfeited this round.
jamesny14

Pro

jamesny14 forfeited this round.
czeekymonkey

Con

czeekymonkey forfeited this round.
jamesny14

Pro

jamesny14 forfeited this round.
czeekymonkey

Con

czeekymonkey forfeited this round.
Posted by czeekymonkey 2 years ago
czeekymonkey
iamanatheistandthisiswhy (great name), the McLaren F1 does not refer to a Formula 1 car, but rather the McLaren F1, which began production in 1992 and is most famous for the fact that it held the top speed record for a production car at 390kmh.
Posted by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Greatest car ever? I may pick this up later if its still open. I am a Ferrari man, so I will strongly disagree with you. Also what McLaren F1 car? I think you should be more specific.
Posted by czeekymonkey 2 years ago
czeekymonkey
I'm keen to join this debate, and I hope to do so shortly.