ObliviousCat
TheMrkanyewest01

The Media and Children

ObliviousCat

Con

Each and every day, children and adolescents are exposed to advertisements, billboards, and other media components that value appearance over intellect and personality which promotes the devaluation of individuals that do not meet unrealistic standards. A recent study shows that 42% of first through third grade girls want to be thinner and 81% of 10-year-olds are afraid of becoming fat. In addition, a recent study by Dove concluded that only 2% of thousands of women across the globe consider themselves beautiful. Unfortunately, teenagers are the most vulnerable victims because they are still in critical, cognitive development which can cause them to act out irrationally and put themselves at risk.
1) https://books.google.com...
2) http://www.today.com...
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

Profit, it all comes down to one thing which is quite frankly profit, put yourself in a position were you yourself are the head of a company, let's say that sells clothing, and your demographic are young people, how will your business succeed if not trough advertising and marketing, various bossiness tend to put the best image of oneself,the best qualities of the people there selling there product to, they like to present an image of the type of person the envision using their product, now ask yourself would you like a regular Joe or an plain Jane on the covers of magazines, representing your product, probably not, I'd hate to admit but we as a society tend to gravitate towards the beautiful, we strive for perfection within ourselves, when we see a pretty model or someone of attraction we say to ourselves, with a little hard work I can look like that, because we ourselves want to be perfect.

My opponent mention that "each and every day, children and adolescents are exposed to advertisements, billboards, and other media components that value appearance over intellect and personality" I would say that young people are exposed to advertisements, billboards, and other such things but I don't agree with her latter statement about "other media components that value appearance over intellect and personality" I believe my opponent has not provided evidence to support this statement, in what way may I ask does the media value appearance over intellect, their are various forms of media, that young people are exposed too, both good and bad, and example id like to make for the good type of media is the Dove Campaign for real beauty, in closing I would like to make the point that self esteem is depended on one's self, we can be influenced by advertisements, an advertisements can be both good and bad, but we must also take responsibilities for our own thoughts,and not just blame and be angry at the media, self perception is important.
ObliviousCat

Con

To answer my opponent's question of what other components of media, I was referring to music videos, magazines, and the like. While I have to agree that there are some forms of media that are positive, compared to the negative ones that promote these unrealistic standards they are much too underproduced to affect a significant amount of people. The main argument here is that the negativity teenagers are being exposed to can have an affect on their development and mental health. What makes teenagers at risk and more vulnerable to these influences is the fact that they are still in cognitive development, which is very crucial to their lives and decisions. The influences the media and society have can cause health risks. For example, the majority of the media promotes diet culture which is harmful to children and teenagers alike. The fact that they are still in development increases the likelihood of them acting out irrationally and impulsively; an example of this includes the recent Kylie Jenner Lips Challenge which involves teenage girls to suck on a shot glass to achieve fuller lips for the reason that the media promotes and values the idea of appearance. This challenge can be dangerous and hazardous because it can cause blisters or, in some cases, shards of glass to damage the child's skin. In recent years, eating disorder rates have increased in teens with one of the biggest factors being the media's influence on dieting and achieving "the perfect body," which is unhealthy.

Knowing this, I must put forward the question: While it is true that this is a marketing technique, and an efficient one at that, does that in any way, shape, or form justify what they fail to realize they're doing to the children? Does this justify the standards and ideas these advertisers are implementing in young, developing children (and adults, too)?
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

TheMrkanyewest01 forfeited this round.
ObliviousCat

Con

ObliviousCat forfeited this round.
TheMrkanyewest01

Pro

TheMrkanyewest01 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheMrkanyewest01 1 year ago
TheMrkanyewest01
Sorrry I had to forfeit