Saberen
DrewKaltenberger

The Migrant Crisis: Should Europe and others let them in?

Saberen

Pro

I believe the migrants will in the long run benefit Europe and because of this they should be allowed in with proper background checks of course.
DrewKaltenberger

Con

While I am empathetic to the refugee crisis, I also contend that it was preventable. We (The US) made no effort to stop the escalating violence, but rather we instigated it. We cut off diplomatic relations with Assad, something I think was a big mistake, and we also began to supply arms and train anti Assad forces. In this way, we have essentially stoked the coals. And due to this, I think we need to strive to fix it. Instead of finding permanent homes, we need to offer temporary sanctuary. This kind of migration generates strain on economies, even one of prosperity and strength such as Germany's, who is the number one destination for asylum seekers. The first problem is background checks, as you mentioned. The time required to go through that many checks and the effort, its enormous. But then again, many of these migrants don't have that kind of time. So, are you going to take them, or do you turn them away? And if you decide on the first option, where do you put them while you begin background checks, or do you perform checks at all? Many of these refugees have no form of identification, no items, they fled their homes out of necessity to survive. When you let them in, where do you put them? How do you feed them? Of course, they cant stay in these shelters forever, the living conditions are terrifying, and it is a breeding ground for disease. So, where do they go after that? Who builds their homes? Who pays for their homes? Who gives them a job? They cant live off of welfare and social programs, Germany's economy would collapse. What about the people who already live here? Despite the conditions, they obviously need to be a concern. How does this effect them? What about security? Weapons, radicals, this is a golden opportunity to get insurgents inside potential targets. Ill take a more moderate stance. If you mean to say permanent sanctuary, I strongly disagree. My biggest concern is the economy, which is already in shambles. Being tied to the EU like we are, if it falls, we (The US) will be in deep trouble. While I believe we should offer them a safe place to wait, we need to be working on ending this refugee crisis on all ends (Chad, Nigeria, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq), so we can send them back to where they came from. Many of them wouldn't have left in the first place, if the current crises had never arose (Which again, I point out, could have been stopped or at the very least abated). The risks are too great, even with the current humanitarian crisis.

While I know this is very broad for a opening argument, this is a very broad subject. I was more intent on laying out some guide lines. I will more than likely dive into each section as the argument (debate) progresses. Feel free to ask me to elaborate.
Saberen

Pro

I would like to thank con for accepting this debate.

Before I rebuttal, I will write my argument on why migrants would be economically beneficial in the long run.

1. Increase in workforce.

Europe as most people know is suffering from extremely low fertility. Birth rates in europe are not at the recommended 2.1 children per women. All european countries are currently under that recommended amount.[1] This means that only accounting for natural birth rate, Europe is on a downwards slope in native population growth which is causing a gap in the average age with there being more elderly people than young people to fill their shoes which will cause economic problems in the future.[2] Around 36% are between 25 and 35 years old injecting a massive amount of young people into the European workforce.[3] Estimates show that foreign workers have accounted for up to 70% of the workforce in europe alone.[4] Without this kind of mass migration Europe would most likely start to have a massive economic crises on their hands with the baby boomers finally retiring and leaving a gap that cannot be filled naturally.

2. Increase in GDP

With an increase in population comes an increase in productivity and net output. A slow accumulative amount of migrants can increase GDP by as much as 2%.[4] This does not sound like a lot but for europe this is a large amount to come in annually adding as much as 2% to a slowly self recovering economy currently hovering around a 1.4% annual GDP growth.[5] Because of this increase in GDP it's also an increase in national output allowing countries to compete in a global market more efficiently.

I will mainly be talking about migrants entering Europe as most migrants are going there.

"The first problem is background checks, as you mentioned. The time required to go through that many checks and the effort, its enormous. But then again, many of these migrants don't have that kind of time."

I don't understand what you mean here. It's not the migrant's time that is of the essence but the time of the workers screening each individual migrant.

" Many of these refugees have no form of identification, no items, they fled their homes out of necessity to survive. When you let them in, where do you put them? How do you feed them? Of course, they cant stay in these shelters forever, the living conditions are terrifying, and it is a breeding ground for disease. So, where do they go after that? Who builds their homes? Who pays for their homes? Who gives them a job? They cant live off of welfare and social programs, Germany's economy would collapse"

The migrant crises is a global effort concerning the entirety of the U.N. The migrants only get benefits for the first 3 months then they are taken off unless they can prove they are currently working and are looking for jobs and are valid to be hired.[6] This allows the EU to filter out those who are unwilling to contribute to the economy after they have entered the eurozone. Migrants are put in refugee camps which are vastly underfunded at the moment like the entire branch of the U.N responsible for managing refugees. With increased funding, these processes could be a lot smoother.

"What about the people who already live here? Despite the conditions, they obviously need to be a concern. How does this effect them? What about security? Weapons, radicals, this is a golden opportunity to get insurgents inside potential targets. Ill take a more moderate stance. If you mean to say permanent sanctuary, I strongly disagree. My biggest concern is the economy, which is already in shambles. Being tied to the EU like we are, if it falls, we (The US) will be in deep trouble"

The entire EU is already a welfare state those already living in poverty have in way better than any migrant will ever. Radicals is a completely valid concern but can be filtered with accuracy with proper monitoring and background checks. I strongly agree that migrants should be treated as second class citizens until they prove they will contribute to the future well being of Europe, themselves and the people around them. No country has any plan to give migrants permanent residence in government-funded housing.

"While I believe we should offer them a safe place to wait, we need to be working on ending this refugee crisis on all ends (Chad, Nigeria, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq), so we can send them back to where they came from. Many of them wouldn't have left in the first place, if the current crises had never arose (Which again, I point out, could have been stopped or at the very least abated). The risks are too great, even with the current humanitarian crisis."

This migrant crisis is spinning the middle east and central Asia out of control. Thanks to the west, this problem is worse than ever. Any attempt to clean up the problem the west has created from drone striking terrorist organisations to funding rebel armies has only caused more instability and resentment for the west. There is now evidence that the west (mainly the U.S) helped create ISIS to fight assad. [8] My unfortunate personal solution to this problem is to stay out of foreign affairs entirely until this situation figures itself out over time. I don't see any other viable option that hasn't been tried.

I shall await your rebuttal.

http://ec.europa.eu... [1]
http://qz.com... [2]
http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk... [3]
http://www.oecd.org... [4]
http://data.worldbank.org... [5]
http://www.bbc.com... [7]
http://www.washingtonsblog.com... [8]
DrewKaltenberger

Con

DrewKaltenberger forfeited this round.
Saberen

Pro

If my opponent does not rebuttal, I will claim victory.
DrewKaltenberger

Con

DrewKaltenberger forfeited this round.
DrewKaltenberger

Con

DrewKaltenberger forfeited this round.