DerKurbis
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid

The Minimum Wage should not be raised.

DerKurbis
Started: 3/14/2016 Category: Economics

DerKurbis

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance
Round 2 & 3 are arguments
Round 4 is final statements; no new information this round

No forfeiting

Happy π Day.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid

Con

I accept. 98% of DDO users make Minimum wage. You're locking them into the same pay rate for the rest of their life. Inflation will require an adjustment anways.

In 1960, it was $1.60. So it should still be $1.60? Inflation says it should and will go up. Why are you subjecting so many DDOers to abject poverty. They'll just complain louder that life is unfair then vote for Bernie Sanders in 2020, 2024, and 2028.
DerKurbis

Pro

Thank you for accepting. Raising the minimum wage results in job loss. A 2006 review of more than 100 minimum wage studies by David Neumark and William Wascher found that about U32; of their studies had negative employment effects. It reduces employment among younger, less-educated individuals. It has little effect on reducing poverty. It may result in higher prices for consumers; a 2007 study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago found that restaurant prices increase in response to minimum wage increases.

An argument can be made to lower it or eliminate it, but I think society has developed a mental block that a control is necessary to ensure people will work these positions. Unfortunately, people don't understand that minimum wage jobs are not career choices or entry level jobs but rather services to meet a need. Why should a maid get 15 dollars an hour ($30,000 a year) and a new teacher at a public school start at roughly the same wage (if not lower). People need to get into the mindset that demand for jobs will always be there. You are always going to have people who want/need to wait tables, clean hotels, flip burgers. These should not be long term jobs, but rather temporary jobs for students, or supplement jobs for low income working professionals. Professional jobs allow the market to dictate salary; non-professional jobs should work that way too. Now that I have said this, would you please state where you got the source for 98% of DDO users that only?

Indeed, the minimum wage should go up with inflation, but it has been going up gradually. Gradual increase is necessary, but almost doubling the minimum wage is crazy. I will also have you know that I am not subjecting anyone to poverty, that is only a poor personal attack. I do not believe that Bernie Sanders has anything to do with this debate, so I am going to ignore that comment.

diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid

Con

I would be happy to tell you where I got my 98% number.

I made it up. It was not, nor was it ever intended to be a supportable statistic. It's use was satirical.

You argued: "The Minimum Wage should not be raised."

You then argued: "Indeed, the minimum wage should go up with inflation, but it has been going up gradually. Gradual increase is necessary."

Nowhere in your premise did you argue for or against a specific rate in increase. therefore there re three choices:
1. Eliminate it.
2. Do not raise it. Clearly you set your position here.
3. Raise it. I took this position.

Thank you for conceding that a rate increase is inevitable, even necessary.
DerKurbis

Pro

I am sorry if my premise seemed unclear. I thought it was rather clearly set in keeping it the same, and not raising it.

Moving on, my second contention is my personal experience going to a fast food place. I went to a Taco Bell, and have you seen the inside of a Taco Bell? When I went there, it was mostly teenagers and elderly people working there. My guess is they are probably working there because they just want to make a little bit extra money. Teens would want to save up for a new car or a new phone and retired people are already getting money from social security, and they just want to make a little bit more. I only saw one middle-aged person there, and she appeared to be the manager.

Also, many people with jobs that pay minimum wage or less receive tips for their services.
Pay should be and is based on supply and demand. If there is an insufficient pool of unskilled workers, employers will pay above the minimum wage to retain employees and attract new employees. Depending on the amount of the increase, employers might have to postpone hiring additional staff or even let go existing staff. When these approaches are used not only is there less money spent by workers, but there is also the impact to customers. For example, maybe the fast-food restaurant used to have three lines to order, but now only has two. If the minimum wage increases too much, we provide less of an incentive for workers to get educated and get into jobs with greater potential.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid

Con

diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid forfeited this round.
DerKurbis

Pro

So, for the reasons that I listed minimum wage should not be raised. Thank you for debating.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid

Con

Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
To pro,
Yes it is true that jobs decrease when minimum wage increases, but that's only because we allow it to happen. Businesses only think in numbers and how to maximize profits so lay-offs are a logical solution yes? We need to prevent big business from exploiting The united states Citizens, whilst simultaneously preventing them from exploiting people in other countries. Think about it, whenever we restrict big business, and tell them to be responsible in regards to the wellbeing of the average person, they act like big babies and leave the country to exploit people elsewhere like china for example. Trickle down economics only works on the premise that Big Business is going to do "the right thing" unfortunately, they never do :(. Learn a little more about economics and history before you post this :(.
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
To Pro,
I completely disagree that we should eliminate it, I agree that we need socialized reform, but raising minimum wage will not solve the problem at the root. currently any business can set any price they want on their products. Raise minimum wage, and they'll just up the cost of living. Thus raising minimum wage will solve absolutely nothing. What we need to do is use our tax money to seize control of all industries which are morally compromised in our country. I'm not saying these businesses shouldn't make a profit, I'm merely saying that excess profit is not worth the cost of a persons well being. A pharmaceutical company should not have the ability to set cancer medicine sky high "just because they can." Things that are currently socialized in our country are Fire departments, police departments, all military branches, ect... Now ask yourselves this... would you rather have all firefighters, police, and soldiers set the price of their services and negotiate with us on the value? Or would you rather pay them a flat rate where they treat you like a person rather than a number? I prefer the latter but that's just the opinion of an educated man who understands economics. My number one goal in life above all other goals is to be a good person this includes my take on economics. I want people to consider that before socialized reform, firefighters would negotiate the price it would cost to put out the flames, monopolies controlled our country, children worked in sweatshops, companies exploited workers with long hours and no minimum wage. However... never forget the horrifying truth of communism, DO NOT let our government have too much control or we'll end up with a dictator.
Posted by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
The opening argument was fictional, merely to illustrate my position. Arguments were not permitted, therefore I made none that could be used in the debate. Thank you.
Posted by Emmarie 1 year ago
Emmarie
I'd debate this but only from pro. Hope you find someone to debate this, I will be watching this debate.
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
The minimum wage should be abolished.
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
DerKurbisdiarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 rounds, and Pro forfeited no rounds. Therefore, Pro wins conduct.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
DerKurbisdiarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.