The Modal Ontological Argument Establishes God's Existence

The Modal Ontological Argument is as follows:

1. It is possible that a maximally great being (God) exists.

2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.

3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.

4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.

5. Therefore, a maximally great being exists in the actual world.

6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

7. Therefore, God exists.[1]

No petty semantics. If one accepts this debate then they accept the type of modal possibility relevant to this debate.

Rules/ Stipulations

The burden will be on Pro to demonstrate that the Modal Ontological Argument is sound. The first round will not be for acceptance, as my opponent will make his/ her opening argument in the first round. However, in round 4, Pro must simply put:

"No argument will be posted here as agreed."

I tried to argue this using a devil's advocate, but I find that the logical is so flawed it is possible to argue for.
My apologies.

No problem, could you please keep posting so we can end this debate?

Of course. I appreciate the concept of this argument: I too would like to read how someone may find logic within the statements. I, for one, cannot.

The argument follows logically via S5. The problem for the theist is establishing the truth of the possibility of a maximally great being.

I do not think any single point made with that logic is accurate. I would appreciate an explanation.

If something is possible (in Modal terms), then we say it exists in some possible world (which just means a possible reality). The argument is that God is at least possible, thus he exists in some possible world. However, God is defined as maximally great, and it would be greater to exist in two possible realities than one, and greater to exist in three than two (and so on and so forth). So a maximally great being would exist in all possible worlds, because if it only existed in just one, the being would not be maximally great. Our world, or reality, is obviously possible (or we could not exist). Since the maximally great being exists in every possible reality, that would include our real reality. The argument then concludes that a maximally great being, God, does indeed exist in the actual world.

What I was going to argue was whether God was possible or not, as I believe that the logic of the argument is valid.

CopperRoses forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by BrandonButterworth 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit