Aakanksha
debate.unique

The Modern Indian Women - No longer a captive of traditions

Aakanksha

Con

The modern Indian woman is described as one who is free of all inhibitions - she rides to work on her Scoot Pep, wears western clothes like jeans. Now, taking the example of the character Esha from the book, One Night @ the Call Centre, by Chetan Bhagat, the protagonist described her as one of those kind of women who slogged all night yet was rebuked by her mother-in-law. She works and yet, she has to do all the household chores. Is this your definition of the Modern Indian Woman?
This brings us to today's topic - Is the Modern Indian Women no longer captive of Traditions.
In my view, no matter how much we say that The Indian Woman is no longer captive of traditions, the fact remains that there will always be the elders who will always want their bahu to be the perfect submissive Indian woman. It is only because of this that Indian women will never be free of traditions.
Moreover, India is a large country with many regions not very public, there a re still villages that are practicing Sati and unfortunately, we can do nothing about it.
Almost 80% of the households in this country are run by women all the earning is done by the men. Almost 60% of the married women in cities are working as well as doing their household chores as well. Do we call this free of tradition? Many households in our country have elders asking their bahus to give up their jobs once they are married so as to look after them, their son and their grandchildren. Is that free of tradition? I don't think so.
Moreover, there also quite a large percentage of women upon whom the traditions are thrust/forced upon. Such women just accept it as their fate and do nothing about it.
I think that, in a country like India which is predominantly a patriarchal society, women can never be free of traditions. We in India have such a large percentage of men who are male chauvinists that we can never hope to be as free as the modern Woman in the United States Of America. It is simply impossible for us to have men accept the fact that we are just as good as they are.
Thank You.
debate.unique

Pro

First my case, then refutations.
India a developing country, is not only progressing in the scientific and economic fields, it is also developing socially. The following facts are enough proof to support the motion:
1. Female foeticide and infanticide have been banned. Henceforth, it has declined rapidly.
2. Women are no longer considered inferior to men.
3. They are treated equally before the law.
4. Women actively participate in politics.
5. The number of women in jobs has seen tremendous growth.
6. Almost all the fields have seen an active participation by women.
Hence, it would be absolutely correct to say that modern Indian women are no longer captive of traditions.

To refute:
"India is a large country with many regions not very public, there a re still villages that are practicing Sati and unfortunately, we can do nothing about it."
I would like to raise two topics against this. First of all, my opponent says that we can do nothing about it. Does this mean that the rate of sati has not gone down? that sati has been practiced the same way as it was before independence? has there been absolutely no change in the tradition - the practice of sati?
The Indian Government enacted the Rajasthan Sati Prevention Ordinance, 1987 on October 1, 1987 and later passed the Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987. Statistics also show that the number of deaths due to sati has gone down considerably since independence.
Also, my opponent says that "unfortunately, we can do nothing about it."
This means that she feels it is very unfortunate that we can do nothing about sati. I too feel the same. In fact, a majority of Indians are of the opinion that sati should not prevail in the Indian society. This automatically suggests that there is a wide space for the abolition of sati.
1. "Almost 80% of the households in this country are run by women all the earning is done by the men. Almost 60% of the married women in cities are working as well as doing their household chores as well."
2. "I think that, in a country like India which is predominantly a patriarchal society, women can never be free of traditions. "
These are two contradictory points by my opponent. The first one shows that the traditional culture in 20 % of Indian households has reversed. Also, 40% of married women are free of their household chores. This again shows that there a large scope of Indian women being free of traditions. however, she herself says that Indian women can never be free of traditions.
Aakanksha

Con

I would like to point out to my opponent that percentages don't mean much but the fact remains that despite of so many years of Independence and western influences on our society, the Indian woman has not managed to break through the shackles of tradition.

As far as the reduction in practice of Sati is concerned, I would like to point out that the movement was started by Raja Ram Mohun Roy in the 18th century. It's now the 21st century. Is 300 years not enough time to have abolished a practice as cruel as Sati? I think not.

In response to my worthy opponent's points
1."Women are no longer considered inferior to men."
2."They are treated equally before the law."

I would like to point out that if women are treated equally before law and are no longer considered inferior to men, then why is it that it was the women dancing in pubs in Mangalore that were attacked upon? Why was it that the Sri Ram Sena claimed that these women were violating "traditional Indian values". (1)

In my argument stating the percentage of working women, I'd like to point out that considering the fact that our country India has been free for almost 65 years now, isn't it time that we cut down on the "traditions" and make new ones that are practical in the modern world.

Though I'm all for a balance between traditions and modernism, I feel that ancient ones (traditions) are pointless for the modern day Indian woman

To counter my opponent's view that
1.The number of women in jobs has seen tremendous growth.
I would like to ask her how safe it is for women to work as much as men do. In a country like India where women are held in such low, for the lack of a better word, standards I personally think that it is extremely difficult for women to be as safe as men are.

Thank You
debate.unique

Pro

(I request my opponent to check the comments section after the debate)
Firstly, as far as Sati is concerned, it has been abolished by the government and is strongly and vehemently opposed by the citizens.
The attack in mangalore was illegal. This cannot be taken into account for this is same as asking why a man was murdered? The attack in Mangalore was not supported by any other individual or party except the Sri Ram Sena.
During these 62 years, the evils of the Indian society have reduced a lot. One cannot just cut down the old traditions and make new ones in one go. This process needs time. 62 years have not been enough. But certainly, there will be a time when the old traditions are completely cut down.
The modern woman is as safe as men to work. This includes educated individuals. There is no discrimination between their education and job opportunities. I would again say that all are treated equal before the law. This has been mentioned in our constitution and is being followed in the right spirit.
I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I certainly enjoyed it a lot. I trust the voters know the right choice to make.
Posted by esiotrot6 3 years ago
esiotrot6
"The modern woman is as safe as men to work. This includes educated individuals. There is no discrimination between their education and job opportunities. I would again say that all are treated equal before the law. This has been mentioned in our constitution and is being followed in the right spirit."
Can't say that your foolish optimism is amusing. You may want to end the debate on a cheerful note but reality is hardly that. While I do agree with the fact the Indian society is not beyond redemption, for you to simply write the above is a poor, misplaced joke.
Life in India for women is hardly so. If there really is not any gender inequity as you suggest above in the workplace, before the law regardless of what the constitution states we would not be having these debates. Read some papers on family violence, rise in crime in India etc before you go on to say such things as if there is no rise in crime against women esp. rape.
Posted by Aakanksha 5 years ago
Aakanksha
same 2 ya
Posted by debate.unique 5 years ago
debate.unique
even m against........but mine is not in my skul.....gotta go to some other skul......anyways, all the best......
Posted by Aakanksha 5 years ago
Aakanksha
I'm against..u? It's in my skul
yup..
Posted by Aakanksha 5 years ago
Aakanksha
Um..it's a cluster level.. Ya..for us it's on 24th
Posted by debate.unique 5 years ago
debate.unique
yeah....me too in a KV..........but m not a tamillian....
that's a school debate.......i know bout that.....is that only in your school or is it for many schools??????........wat level is it....regional or cluster or district!!!!?????......i dont hv the complete info........
it's on 27th, right??????...women's day celebration????
are you speaking for the motion or against it??????....and where is ur debate being held???
do u speak hindi??????
sry for asking so many questions........but had to ask...need to know
Posted by Aakanksha 5 years ago
Aakanksha
Ya..For my school debate..
I'm in KV2 nausena Baugh, Vizag..
are you in a KV too?
I started it twice by mistake..Sry..'m new to this..
so u a tamilian?
ME TOO!
Posted by debate.unique 5 years ago
debate.unique
Are you actually preparing for some other debate?????????......just a thought :)
Posted by debate.unique 5 years ago
debate.unique
Why did u suddenly challenge me to this debate???? And you've started the same debate twice........was just curious to know........would be grateful if u could answer...........
Vote Placed by TheSexicanMexican 5 years ago
TheSexicanMexican
Aakankshadebate.uniqueTied
Vote Placed by sorc 5 years ago
sorc
Aakankshadebate.uniqueTied