babinator
Shafer117

The Montreal Canadians are the best hockey team in NHL History

babinator
Started: 5/7/2012 Category: Sports

babinator

Pro

First round for acceptance
Second and third for arguments
Fourth for conclusion.
Shafer117

Con

I accept your challenge.
babinator

Pro

The statistics speak for themself.
Les Habitants have won the most Stanley Cups of any team with 24 including a record 5-year run in the 1950s.
Since it's inception in 1945, 61 Canadiens have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of fame, at an average of just under one every year.
While they may not have made the playoffs this year, they do more often than not.
While I concede that it is possible to argue with current statistics, the resolution was about NHL history, not one specific season.
With a litany of incredible and iconic players, including a number of players who have innovated the game to what it is now (eg. Jacques Plante's mask). This, coupled with their outstanding history, makes the Montreal Canadiens the best hockey team in NHL history.
Shafer117

Con

Just because the Montreal Candians have won the most Stanley Cups and have had the most players in the hall of fame, doesn't mean that they are the best NHL team. If they have had more wins or more points overall as well, but right now there is not enough evidence supporting that claim. This in opinion and it should be proven before it is made a fact.
babinator

Pro

Most shutouts in a season: 22, by the 1928–29 Montreal Canadiens (all shutouts won by George Hainsworth)
Most Stanley Cups: 23, by the Montreal Canadiens (the Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup 24 times, but their first win came in 1916, before the NHL existed)
Most consecutive Stanley Cup wins: 5, by the Montreal Canadiens (1956–1960)
Most consecutive Stanley Cup Finals appearances: 10, by the Montreal Canadiens (1951–1960)
Most points in a season: 132, by 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens
Fewest losses in a season: 8, by 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens

3135 wins out of 6120 games since the NHL was formed. In comparison, the other Original Six teams (the only ones who have played enough games to even come close) haven't broken 3000.

There are stats to prove that the Habs are the best team in NHL history.

Now would you care to make a legitimate rebuttal?
Shafer117

Con

I will make a legitimate rebuttal once you actually prove something. Your new evidence helps, but is still not compared to other teams. So this could mean that the Montreal Canadians are better or worse, depending on the statistics of other teams, once you can get a sufficient amount of evidence to support your argument, I will make a rebuttal.
babinator

Pro

I've made several comparisons to other teams. You've just been raising the burden of proof to an impossible degree.
You've still yet to make an argument.
As far as i'm concerned, there seems to be no debate. Just me providing evidence and you replying "Nuh-Uh, not good enough."
Shafer117

Con

I've read and re-read through each round and I did not see any statistics of other teams. How can I make a proper argument when I don't have proper evidence to debate against?
Posted by Shafer117 4 years ago
Shafer117
So I'm supposed to help the Pro? He is supposed to provide something to compare it to, otherwise I would be hurting my own case.
Posted by Mrparkers 4 years ago
Mrparkers
He isn't required to give you that. It's unreasonable to ask Pro to give you evidence to counter the position he's trying to support. It's up to you to provide such evidence, and you failed to do so.
Posted by Shafer117 4 years ago
Shafer117
I did not ask the Pro to list the statistics of each and every NHL team, I just simply asked him something to compare it to.
Posted by Apollo.11 4 years ago
Apollo.11
You spelled 'Canadeins' wrong.
Posted by Oldfrith 4 years ago
Oldfrith
I could troll this very easily...
Vote Placed by Mrparkers 4 years ago
Mrparkers
babinatorShafer117Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Instead of saying "I have nothing to argue against", Con should have actually attempted to make an argument. Pro fulfilled his burden of proof by giving evidence and statistics about the team he's supporting, and Con not only failed to provide evidence of any kind, but also failed to provide an argument. Note to Con: Pro isn't required to give you statistics on every single NHL team in order to fill his BOP. Expecting something like that is simply ridiculous.