mropinion
danny123

The Montreal Canadiens are the best team (historically) in the NHL

Started: 4/5/2014 Category: Sports

mropinion

Pro

1st round is for accepting the challenge.

What I am arguing is that the Montreal Canadiens are the best team (historically) in the National Hockey League (NHL). If you accept, you will be arguing against my claim.
danny123

Con

Detroit red wings had the most win lol? With their 62 wins, the 1995"96 Detroit Red Wings eclipsed the all-time record of most regular-season wins, which had been set at 60 by the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens. Their 131 points during the regular season were the most since the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens accumulated 132 points (still an all-time record). They surpassed most of that year's NBA season records, including the Orlando Magic, who won 60 games that year (only NBA team records that the 1995-96 Red Wings did not surpass were the Seattle SuperSonics (64 wins) and the 72"10 Chicago Bulls). The Red Wings had two winning streaks of 9 games, and had a 13"game unbeaten streak from Sunday, March 3, 1996 to Sunday, March 31, 1996, going 12"0"1 during that stretch. Having the best record in the league, the Red Wings were awarded the President's Trophy. During the 1995"96 regular season, the Red Wings were the only team to score at least one goal in all 82 of its games.[1]
mropinion

Pro

mropinion forfeited this round.
danny123

Con

he forfeit i win.
mropinion

Pro

Before I start, I would like to say two things. One, sorry for not posting my last argument. I was quite busy last week. I would also like ask that you don't copy info from a website. It feels like I'm debating the Internet, and not danny123.

Since their inception in 1909, the Canadiens have been a winning franchise. In their history, they have won 24 Stanley Cups, more than any other franchise. In fact, a bit more than 25% of Stanley Cups awarded have been given to the "Habs." Their years:Stanley Cups ratio is better than any team, at 4.375:1. The two other most winningest NHL franchises, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings have ratios of 7.46:1 and 8:1, respectively. The Habs also have the two greatest dynasties in hockey history, winning 5 straight Stanley Cups TWICE. Montreal has been home to hockey legends, both on and off the ice. In fact, 4 current NHL trophies, the Maurice Richard Trophy, the Frank J. Selke Trophy, the Hart Memorial Trophy, and the Vezina Trophy have all been named after people associated with the Montreal Canadiens organization. The legendary Maurice Richard was also the first player to score 50 goals in one year, doing it an astounding fifty games in the 1944-45 season. The next time this was accomplished was in the 1960-61 season when Bernie Geoffrion, also a Canadien, did it in 64 games. It would take almost 30 years after Richard accomplished the feat for a Red Wing to do it.
danny123

Con

First off you are arguing with the internet you are on the internet. danny123 is on the internet. having more cups doesn't mean nothing if they haven't done the best. look this is very boring the only reason why i accepted was because it was the only one available. so yeah i going to bump this. so Canadian what ever you call it sucks because i said so. so yeah i said it they suck.
mropinion

Pro

The Stanley Cup is awarded to the winner of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, which consists of the best teams from the NHL regular season. This means that the winner of the Cup is therefore the best team in the league for that year, as they beat the best of the best. Therefore, it is probably a good measuring stick in deciding the best team in the NHL's history. The Montreal Canadiens have done so 24 times, therefore making them the best NHL team ever. However, it would be very typical and lazy to use that as the only argument. In addition to my previous points mentioned in Round 3, the Montreal Canadiens have the most ever points in one year, with 132 (1976-77). The Red Wings have the record for most wins (1995-96), but weren't able to win to win the Stanley Cup, while the Canadiens were.

My professionalism, original and unused arguments, as opposed to my opponent's unprofessionalism, copy-paste argument, and lack of grammar therefor prove the thesis that the Montreal Canadiens are the best team historically in the National Hockey League.
danny123

Con

your not a lawyer so stop talking like that. talk like an average person. o i want to be professional behind.
Posted by mropinion 3 years ago
mropinion
It was clear I won that one.
Posted by mropinion 3 years ago
mropinion
Teemo, as that is part of what makes a franchise great, it is not the only thing. I believe I gave multiple reasons besides the easy one.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
Your obvious excuse is that they have more cups, which is why you said "historically".