Nobodycares
The_Chaos_Heart

The Moral Concept of Competitve Debate

The_Chaos_Heart

Nobodycares

Pro

This debate will focus on the morality of debate.org and if does in fact cross the waters from intelligent discourse to egotistical competition. For clarification purposes I will argue for the position that it is indeed an egotistical competition, as it primarily serves our ego and not our sense of humility.
The_Chaos_Heart

Con

Interesting. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Nobodycares

Pro

Truly one of the greatest notions we should all strive for is the realization that whatever knowledge we do possess, there is always more knowledge to gain. This is why, in my opinion, intelligent debates are essential to any civilized society; how this statement relates to DDO is the purpose of this exchange. While it is certainly true that intellectual debates do occur on DDO, the incentive to win each debate has become quite flagrant and excessive. Frivolous debates are created, in most cases, to simply win and increase individual score, members are given the option to set criteria barring those who have won too many debates. The top debaters are listed on the home page, thus creating an incentive to achieve the paltry notoriety of DDO Top Debater. There are some who are ignorant altogether, this is not a valid excuse; competition, often but not always, is guilty of conflicting with virtue and humility and that is certainly the case with DDO.
The_Chaos_Heart

Con

My opponent admits intelligent, civilized debates are necessry for a civilized, enlightened society. Debate.org fosters just these. Overwhelmingly the debates on here encourage civil exchange and clashing of ideals.
Posted by Nobodycares 4 years ago
Nobodycares
Ultimately, the greatest challenge proved to be the 1,000 character limit; a regrettable restriction.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
RFD:

Just when I was looking forward to a good meta-debate D:

I was kind of disappointed with this debate and the quality of arguments made from both sides. Maybe it was the restrictive round limit, especially considering that the first round was for acceptance, essentially giving each side only one round to argue. But regardless, that's no excuse. Anyway, onto why I voted con.

Really Pro seemed to go onto this tangent about how DDO was set upon this hierarchical setting of being the "Top Debater" and how we would exclude people that had a certain number of wins and up so we could just noobsnipe our way into the top rankings and that this harmed the intelligence of the debates on here. But he also admits, fatally I might add, that there ARE intelligent debates that happen on DDO. Con pointed this out as a clear contradiction to the resolution and the Pro position and, thus, an essential concession. Frankly, he's probably just right on there, and that this resolution wasn't really great for the pro debater. While I split the BOP to both people (when you don't declare it one way or another that's generally what I'll do unless the resolution indicates otherwise) and neither people do a better job upholding their burden, I give Con's turn against the Pro as sufficient offense to link back to his burden and at least partially fulfill it, and thus can vote Con off of that.

As advice for you both to improve, Pro I would use specific examples of how DDO users just instigate or accept debate challenges from people who are of lesser skill (trust me, there are plenty of examples of it out there if you just look) as an example of how we're only interested in the ratings and not the actual learning. As for Con, stop procrastinating and get on and make your argument. You barely won as it was. Imagine the pleasure you could've given me if you actually argued.

-sigh- Sad Zaradi is Sad D:
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
A meta-debate over the concepts of debate? Sounds like it's right up my alley >:D I'll vote in a sec after I finish reading.
Posted by The_Chaos_Heart 4 years ago
The_Chaos_Heart
Bah, my apologies. I only just jumped on now, and had only a single minute to type up something. I figured a sentence or two would be better than a forfeit. Still, it's hardly any kind of an argument, and for that I apologize.
Vote Placed by iamnotwhoiam 4 years ago
iamnotwhoiam
NobodycaresThe_Chaos_HeartTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side put much effort in.
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
NobodycaresThe_Chaos_HeartTied
Reasons for voting decision: Self contradiction in round 2 by pro.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
NobodycaresThe_Chaos_HeartTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter htennis.
Vote Placed by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
NobodycaresThe_Chaos_HeartTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments
Vote Placed by htennis 4 years ago
htennis
NobodycaresThe_Chaos_HeartTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON easy. Anyway, why, then, is PRO having this debate?