Off_the_Wall.Paul
Jokerdude

The NHL season is too long.

Started: 1/21/2008 Category: Sports

Off_the_Wall.Paul

Pro

The NHL season is too long. I believe 82 games is too many games, and in turn damaging the popularity of a great sport. I would estimate that if the teams played about one less month of regular season hockey, the sport would benefit. Simply stated, the importance of the regular season games would be heightened because there are less games to be played.
Jokerdude

Con

To address the points my opponent made

1.82 games is hardly much of a season when you compare it to other sports like baseball have 162, it hardly deters any of the popularity of the sport.

2.Canceling a month worth of games would in no way "help" the sport, if anything there will be less income for each team as well as a drop in viewers since there are less games to watch the viewer's for those what would be another month of games.

3.The importance of the regular season wouldn't be heightened, each game would matter the same, its the playoffs not the season that draw the real hype.

For a few of my own points...

4.If anything the more games means more time to celebrate the joyous game of hockey and to watch your players get owned or own other teams to shorten the season would just leave a gaping hole in our sports schedule

Vote Negitave

5. Sorta tying in with four what else would we watch on those odd nights soap operas?

6.Just as a rule of thumb people enjoy watching sporting games shortening the season would be like limiting the football schedule by thirteen games because you think 3 games would add more suspense, its just not practical.
Off_the_Wall.Paul

Pro

-"1.82 games is hardly much of a season when you compare it to other sports like baseball have 162, it hardly deters any of the popularity of the sport."

In terms of popularity, MLB trumps the NHL. Why bring MLB into this discussion?

-"2.Canceling a month worth of games would in no way "help" the sport, if anything there will be less income for each team as well as a drop in viewers since there are less games to watch the viewer's for those what would be another month of games."

Here you are making a correlation between the amount of games played to the amount of viewers. Based on this logic the NFL would be the most unpopular major sport since they only play a 16 game season. On a side note, bringing up revenue is irrelevant.

-"3.The importance of the regular season wouldn't be heightened, each game would matter the same, its the playoffs not the season that draw the real hype."

This is a flawed statement. First, it is quite logical to say that if one team plays an opponent in less games during the regular season than those games become more important. Second, you say it's all about the playoffs and not about regular season right? Well, the focus of my argument centers around a shortened regular season. This would help the popularity of the game and perhaps attract viewers such as yourself who tend to not watch regular season hockey games.
Jokerdude

Con

1. The point of bringing that up is to show that spots with a longer season are just as popular if not as popular. So thank you for agreeing with me

2. It wouldn't relate to the NFL in this case because there is a set number of games, canceling some of those games would hurt the sport. As would canceling a number of hockey games from the NHL season. The cancellation is the part that hurts the sport.

3. Revenue plays a huge role so I am right to bring it up because through the revenues team pay for expenses like players wages or have we all forgot the lockout More Games = More Money, Less Games = Less Money, its simple logistics

4. The first point is flawed because it comes down to the last few games of the regular season for that playoff hype the more games means more fun for everyone.

5. Thank you for conceding that its about the playoffs so in terms of popularity it shouldn't matter the season length, so really by having a longer season it can only be more profitable.

6. Also I'd like to point out that my opponent disregarded my point on what else to do during the gaping hole in sports schedule, so vote Neg on this position
Off_the_Wall.Paul

Pro

-"1. The point of bringing that up is to show that spots with a longer season are just as popular if not as popular. So thank you for agreeing with me"

Not quite sure what exactly you mean here, so I cannot agree with you despite
your insistence.

-"2. It wouldn't relate to the NFL in this case because there is a set number of games, canceling some of those games would hurt the sport. As would canceling a number of hockey games from the NHL season. The cancellation is the part that hurts the sport."

The premise of my case centered on the waning popularity of the NHL. I am not sure why the NFL continues to be brought into this debate without much substance to support it. Rather it detracts from your case.

-"3. Revenue plays a huge role so I am right to bring it up because through the revenues team pay for expenses like players wages or have we all forgot the lockout More Games = More Money, Less Games = Less Money, its simple logistics"

Bringing revenue into this debate is not simple logistics. For it to be simple logistics you must scrutinize through complex figures, understand the imbalances of revenue sharing, and pin point the primary causation's of the leagues financial instability to accurately determine its monetary complications. Please do not confuse the latter with the fact that the popularity of the sport continues suffer. These references will help fortify my position on shortening the NHL regular season to maximize the attraction of the games.

http://proicehockey.about.com...
http://andrewsstarspage.com...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

As a long time hockey fan (20 years), I have always had a difficult time defending my passion for the sport. I remember when the sport gained some popularity when "The Great One" Wayne Gretzky passed the legendary Gordie Howe for most goals scored in a career. Or in 1994 when the N.Y. Rangers finally won the Stanley Cup for the 1st time since 1940. These were better times for the NHL. These were also times before most of the heavy expansion of the league had taken place, which in in turn had watered down the talent pool of the league. I lived through this as a fan. With that stated, my idea of a shortened regular season to say, 65 games or so, would most certainly add a premium to the games played since there are less of them. Less overexposure. Hockey struggles with popularity for a number of reasons, and one of the main reasons is that the season overlaps with the other major sports at the wrong times, (i.e. World Series, NBA finals.) The shortened season would give the NHL its own time to shine. Couple the shorter regular season with a balanced schedule, and the NHL should begin to build on its fan base.

-"4. The first point is flawed because it comes down to the last few games of the regular season for that playoff hype the more games means more fun for everyone.

6. Also I'd like to point out that my opponent disregarded my point on what else to do during the gaping hole in sports schedule, so vote Neg on this position"

At this point these statements are inconsequential to my stance on this matter. With all due respect to your challenge, I am proposing an idea that comes from the heart because I would love for the sport of hockey to gain the popularity it deserves. I have always thought about ways for the sport to grow and become better, and this is one such solution. That is why I was so thrilled to see the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres play outdoors in the snow New Years day because that drew ratings and in turn helped the sports popularity. I hope the league continues to inject new ideas to the sport and I also hope one day you will understand that, and yourself and others will take to appreciating the NHL as a great sport.
Jokerdude

Con

1. The whole point to this argument is to show that sports with long seasons are prosperous I'm sorry if you never understood that. When I said that MLB has 182 games i telling that it is a contributing factor to its success and popularity. So yes its a longer season but like you said MLB trumps NHL.

2. I was using the NFL as an example nothing else. It was to prove that there are no in way good coming from taking away games. Its less for people to watch, and less income for the teams. Nothing good just bad.

3. I brought up revenue because thats what they use to pay their players to play. If players are not paid then we will have a second lockout, and boy will there be less games.

Following my opponent grouping arguments 4. 5. and 6.

These are not inconsequential arguments, each one plays a key factor when deciding something like you are proposing. As an avid sports fan I personally love when I can sit down and watch a game. If there are less games then Ill be disappointed when there inst anything to watch. By having less games there is less to watch, less to enjoy. Something my opponent still cant answer because he knows the answer and he would lose if he stated the answer. Less games lead to less to watch, bring the reasons above.

To those voting vote on the arguments made

Thank You for the Debate Paul
Posted by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
The oddest part is that we agree on most politics
Posted by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
Even if I was to concede that you care more the whole idea in general is absurd and i did debate the platform, if u didn't notice or care
Posted by Off_the_Wall.Paul 9 years ago
Off_the_Wall.Paul
Jokerdude forgets that this was my challenge, and therefore I decided the platform for the debate. Ridiculous. He also completely neglects my points and ideas that were each well conceived in round two. His entire stance in this debate was superficial. It seems like he never read anything. What a shame. All people have to do is simply read this debate objectively, and they will understand who really cared more.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Sorry I am so exhausted I read this wrong and swear it said NFL ... lol I need to start going to bed earlier. I can't believe I actually read that whole thing and didn't comprehend it.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
No way , if we shortened the season , my Patriots wouldn't have been able to be 18-0 working on 19-0. But seriously football season is so much shorter than baseball season. Teams don't even play that many games.
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 6 years ago
GaryBacon
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hockey is a great sport that does get slighted due to the season conflicting with other sports. When hockey games take place during the World Series, most people are not watching the hockey games.
Vote Placed by g713 8 years ago
g713
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by ahshutup 9 years ago
ahshutup
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by MatterOfFact 9 years ago
MatterOfFact
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by Off_the_Wall.Paul 9 years ago
Off_the_Wall.Paul
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied
Vote Placed by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
Off_the_Wall.PaulJokerdudeTied