TillDeathDoWePart88
Texas14

The 'Native American' people of the United States

TillDeathDoWePart88

TillDeathDoWePart88

Con

Hello, this is my first debate as I just signed up for this website a couple days ago. The argument of this debate is whether or not the Native American Indians were the first people to settle in the United States or not. I will be debating against this as I believe the Europeans were the first to settle within the United States. Let us try not to make this an aggressive argument and instead keep it a philosophical debate.
Texas14

Pro

TillDeathDoWePart88

Con

Text books and the historians who wrote them will tell you that the first people to settle in America were the Paleo-Indians. They will tell you that the Paleo-Indians settled in America around some 15 000 years ago. This is what has been thought and taught for quite some time, until the recent 2012 discovery of evidence stating otherwise.

Several dozen European-style stone tools, dating between 26,000 and 19 000 years ago, have been found at six different locations along the East Coast. Three of the sites are on the Delmarva Peninsular in Maryland and were discovered by archaeologist Darrin Lowery of the University of Delaware. One is in Pennsylvania and another in Virginia. The sixth was discovered by a fishermen on the seabed 60 miles from the Virginian coast on what would have been dry land. This is not the first time something like that has happened. European artifacts like these have been found before, but those artifacts were dated around 15 000 years ago (the same time that the Paleo-Indians migrated to America). These newly found artifacts are dated between 26 000 and 19 000 years ago and are contemporary and identical to western European material. Another artifact, a European-style stone knife found in Virginia of 1971, has been chemically analyzed to reveal that it is made of French-originating flint. Archaeologists are now starting to investigate new sites in places such as Tennessee, Maryland, and even Texas

At the peak of the Ice Age, around three million square miles of the North Atlantic was covered in thick ice for all or part of the year. Historians such as Professor Dennis Stanford of the Smithsonian Institution of Washington DC, and Professor Bruce Bradley of the University of Exeter, propose that this is when people from Western Europe migrated to North America at the height of the Ice Age by traveling (over the ice surface and/or by boat) along the edge of the frozen northern part of the Atlantic.

Another argument for Stanford and Bradley is that there is no evidence of any human activity in north-east Siberia and Alaska prior to around 15 000 years ago. If the Maryland and other east coast people of 26 000 to 19 000 years ago had come from Asia, not Europe, early material from before 19 000 years ago should have turned up in those two northern areas, but none have been found.
Texas14

Pro

I apologize to my opponent. I must concede because I'm very busy with school and I don't have for a serious debate right now. Vote pro
TillDeathDoWePart88

Con

TillDeathDoWePart88 forfeited this round.
Texas14

Pro

Texas14 forfeited this round.
Posted by Texas14 2 years ago
Texas14
Vote con
Posted by TillDeathDoWePart88 2 years ago
TillDeathDoWePart88
My mistake.
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
How could this be philosophical? Evidence will decide this debate.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
TillDeathDoWePart88Texas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gracefully concedes.