RepublicanView333
Conspicuous_Conservative

The New American Gladiators is better than the Old american Gladiators

Started: 1/7/2008 Category: Sports

RepublicanView333

Pro

i believe the New American Gladiators are better than the old American Gladiators.

The new one on NBC has better Gladiators, more actian packed challenges and the two best hosts possible...among other reasons the New American Gladiators is better than the Old American Gladiators
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

I would like to first thank everyone for taking their time to observe the debate and I would like to give thanks for the topic that my opponent has brought up it is a pleasant change of speed. Wish you the best and good luck!

Who would stake the claim for the fact that the vintage classic Mustangs where bested by its fresher redesigned new models. The Corvette of old pales in comparison to the more modern decedent, it would be completely foolish to toss those historical automobiles to the curb for the newer more efficient models. Because of historical relevance, tradition and sentimental value that they conjure. For the same reason we must also look to the Original American Gladiators as a trend setting show that combined athletic competition with entertainment similar to World Wrestling Entertainment but without the plotted storyline. I know it is your personal opinion and I really mean no disrespect but I find your argument very vague lacking very much evidence and I find it difficult for one to state that a throw back of a show that was widely popular for many years can even hold a match to a show like they Original American Gladiators.

I have notice that the show is much better with the Cinema photography and Pyrotechnics but besides the fact that the announcers are simply well known does not make them better. I really do enjoy the new American Gladiators do not get me wrong but with the less articulate announcers and the corny lines from every contender it is taking away from the point of the show athletic dominance.

The gladiators in the show although they are more attractive in the females case (with the exception of the delicious Helga) and more muscular in appearance for the males they do not show the same dominance over the contenders as they did in the predecessor of the show. Maybe it is because of the fact that they are still new but we must wait and see that. I do not like the fact that it is in a Reality Show format but got to take the good with the bad.

The new American Gladiators is refreshing to see with all the other crap they are force feeding us with the writer strike we have going on, but please it can not be compared to the original show which is the foundation for 90% of the show.
RepublicanView333

Pro

Now, C.c don't get me wrong i loved the original American Gladiators, the battles between competitor and Gladiator, what better ca nyou get...until i saw the new one.

The new one has more intense and vicious gladiators even the woman who one the old american gladiator weren't as dominant as they are on the new american gladiators:
Crush
Fury
Helllllllga
Justice
Mayhem
Militia
Siren
Stealth
Titan
Toa
Venom
Wolf...aooooooooooooooooo

These Gladiators are more vicious and lethal than there predicesors...not that there predicesors weren't dynamic gladiators I remember how the old Titan and Tower would dominate Breakthrough and Conquer but i believe the new gladiators are even more physically intimidating.

Another thing i believe makes Gladiators better is the Gladiators have more of a personality or...there more recognize-able...First the clothing...each Gladiator has there own individual style...Militia w/ his strap over his chest, Toa with his Samoan clothing, and the women wear more recognizeable tights, the old gladiators all wore pretty much the same tights, Red, White and Blue. But the new ones have there own style. Fury has silver tights w/ a ripped just-came-from-battle style, Helllllga has that viking style skirt which makes her look mare intimidating, Militia has that war strap going with his alias very viciously, Toa has his Samoan tattos and tribal garb, and Wolf...Wolf is liek a wolf, his hair and mustache gives him that full moon look...Now the Gladiators also have more of a personality. Militia has his salute, Hellllllga just always looks mean, Toa jabbers b4 events in samoan, and Wolf...aaoooooooooooooooooooooooo, It makes the gladiators more recognizeable and support able than the old gladiators, on the old gladiators you could say...ya go sabre, go blaze, go tower. But the new Gladiators you can say, Wolf...aaoooooooooooooooo.

Now all what you listed in your 3rd paragraph really do make it better...the pyrotechnics make it more exciting. The flaming water in the Eliminator i believe makes it much more exciting. The hosts, Terry "hulk hogan" Bollea and Layla Ali i think brings in more people than the old noname hosts. The fans of the Hulk, and Layla will wanna watch and bring in moe revenue. Now please explain more on the reality show format...is it the 100,000$ and the car the champ gets, or the bracket b/c that was on the old show?

Now i also believe the events are much more exilerating. The assault is revampt from the old...the loading process of the gun...lauching the Gladiator into water, Earthquake is a physical airial wrestling match...genius, Hit and Run, Genius, Joust, just as good as the first if not bettr with the water(i will get to that)...Power Ball, very fast and exilerating, Pyramid, new colors makes it very refreshing same old omg attitude, wall, new style is very nic-vicious, Hang Tough, i believe its bettr than the old with wider lenth between rings and water influence...ELIMINATOR...love it..better tha nold, involves whole Gladiators Arena, uses all types of tests for contenders, swimming, climing, grip, upper body strength, stamina, leg strangth. It is the perfect test of fortitude for contenders.

Now my last point is a new, interesting asset the gladiators use, the Water, i believe the water gives all the Gladiators, and Contenders a new and excilerating factor...survival...when i see the joust i think of the climax of a movie two main characters fighting for victory the loser perishing in the watery abyss. It all just adds suspense and gets you more into the NEW AMERICAN GLADIATORS...
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

It is completely understandable that you make your first round consise and to the point because it gets the debate going faster I will take that into consideration for future debates so I do not jump to conclusions in the first round. I would like to appologize too all for the lengthy wait before response, I am in the army and I had some business to take care of.

According to my opponents profile he is 13 years old. If that information is correct then that makes my opponent too young to have watch and remember American Gladiators when it was originally on. He sees the hype of this brand new show with nice costumes and fireworks. Now to him this "fresh new show", with "best announcers" is simply re-heated left-overs. The events if you truly watched the shows where exactly the same as before. Simply put without the large advertising campaign across the networks and the large success of the previous show the present day American Gladiators would be just another one season reality show.

The dominance of the gladiators is something that is exclusive in your mind because I have yet to see an overwhelming dominance from the gladiators. Infact besides the fact that I do see a bit more individualism from gladiators I find the new gladiators to be nothing but models. One example of the lack of dominance was on the season premier on Sunday when Militia the ex Marine (could tell by his little ooh-raa before the event started messed up his rist letting a contender blast by him with no difficulties. So how can I call Militia dominant when the guy hurt his rist prior to even touching anyone. He had only crossed 4 rings before he hurt his wrist. Another example of this so-called dominance comes from Mayham. In the joust event that seems to be the highest winning percentage for all gladiators past or present. He was going against the 155 asian guy and crossed over on the wrong side withouut really hurting the asian guy. Very sad that a gladiator who is heavy by 100 pounds cannot cruise to victory and is disqualified. If being disqualified to a man that is as heavy as the female contender wasn't bad enough you then see the same gladiator lose in mere seconds after losing by being DQed again. Now you may say that is only two instances of short comings by the gladiators but I need to spread out all the mistakes of only two episodes into another round of debate.

It is nice too see that the new show takes the time to show the personality of the gladiators, but if there primary interest is ratings then this show is not for me but I cannot see how my opponent says the Newer version is better than the original with the emphasis on dominance still eludes me. Thank you to all involved and I will patiently await your response. Cheers!
RepublicanView333

Pro

Yes, I am 13 years old but i have seen the original American Gladiators. on ESPN Classic the yhave aired reruns of the original gladiators but recently they have stopped...don't kno if its b/c its being aired on NBC new or what ever, but b4 they stopped I did grow to appreciate and love the show American Gladiators.

Now this sow first of all with out the new fireworks, announcers, costumes, is as i see it the same as the old...gladiator vs. contender...fairly the same contests...eliminator decides results...and the new stuff makes it o so much better ands exciting than the old.

Now i beg to differ about the dominance of the Gladiators...as it sounds you have watched all the episodes of the New Gladiators so far so you will probably understand what im explaining...on the series premiere on literally the first event, power ball,...the lady injures her leg right off the bat...so you could all that a fluke or a coincedence but no...a couple nights ago on the third gladiators another guy injures his leg...in 4 shows already 2 contenders were injured...that is pretty dominating...

Now about Militias injury...you can't say that an injury makes a gladiator or any athlete infact not tough...if Ladainian Tomlinson injured his wrist stiff arming Junior Seau in his next game on a run to the out side is he not good or dominating...everyone gets injured...it shouldn't take away from greatness if they get injured or not...in the old gladiator tons of there gleadiators got hurt:
Sunny in the first season
Malibu in first season
Gold in season three
Turbo in season three
Cyclone in season four
Elektra in season four

Now evidently injuries are common in both so Militias injury shouldn't be used to take away toughness from anyone.
Now i agree Mayhems mistake was ridiculous...same mistake twice...really the only thing i can come up with to defend it is his aggressiveness wanting to take out the other guy...ehh

Now i apoligize for my delay on a response...but the new Gladiators i still argue is better than the first...Don't get me wrong I LOVE the original but the new one is greater...
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

Once again it has been a great debate and I have really enjoyed it. I must admit that I do enjoy the New Gladiators it has brought me back to some of my childhood memories. I truly feel that I can watch this season through. I also read that NBC plans on carrying Gladiators into at least another season after this.

You have made a hypocritical stance stating that I should give Militia the benefit of the doubt for his injury and with further thought I will but you eluded to another injury to a contender so either you have it one way or the other. You have clearly studied up on your old gladiators and have noted a number of injuries to gladiators. I must remind you that those injuries spanned a number of years versus the injury of Militia in the second event of the first episode.

I have seen another example of the lack luster performances of gladiators Siren looked pathetic in joust again and my personal favorite for the new series Titan look like a baby giraffe trying to keep balance and composure on the joust. I have notice that Justice and Helga as big as they are the only events they do are Assault, Gauntlet and Hit and Run, events that are stationary. This shows a lot less versatility that was seen in the previous show.

I want to conclude this great debate this is a very entertaining show for today's day and age. It provides a get away from the lack of quality reality shows surfacing. Although I enjoy this show now it is using predominantly the same events and rules with as much flash as possible. Their are no original ideas behind the new show and for that reason this new breed of American Gladiators simply falls short. Good luck to you on your future debates and hope to hear from you again.

Much respect
Fred. Cheers!!!
RepublicanView333

Pro

Conspicuous_Conservative i agree this was a great debate fun and a change of pace from the uptightness normally...Yes, NBC does plan to have more than one seasons of Gladiators...after this one the second season will start this summer...The Champion of the first season will become a gladiator...even though i love the new gladiators i hate the idea of a contender bein a gladiator...

Now about the injuries...two of the injuries were in the first season...i don't kno when in the season they were but the first season they were in...this is the same as the new one so i don't see much difference between them..meaning i don't see this arguement helping either of us that much...

Now every Gladiator isn't going to be great at every event in the old gladiator i remember some of the old gladiators getting beat bad in events they weren't keen in...some guys have specialties and joust isn't Sirens or Titans.
Now i see the restricted use of Hellga and Justice similiar to a fullback in football...you use him in situations where a big body is needed...unlike the old one where theyed randomly put gladiators anywere making missmatches in the contenders favor...but i beg to differ...I've seen justice in power ball, and pyrimid...five events...in only 3-4 shows so we will have to see if they utilize him anywhere else...

Now i'd like to end stating what i think makes new gladiators better:

-Gladiators with more character
-new costumes gives Gladiators idenity compared to bland old costumes
-Water in arena creates sense of fear, and reality to events like wall, joust...etc...like the climax in a movie
-New hosts that people recognize
-Newer challenges mixed with old classics gives it new Dodge Challenger look (go to Dodge.com...sick new look classic car born)
-Pyrotechnics makes it very explosive
-More attractive and tough women gladiators ( :-)
-Eliminator that isn't as much one sided and allows great breath taking comebacks.

Thes are only some of the great reasons the NEW AMERICAN GLADIATORS are the best of the two American Gladiators...
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

I really thought that this was only 3 rounds that is why I was already giving you thanks for this debate. I have had a very fun time with this and you have been a very gracious and hospitable host.

You have brought up a number of good points, at the same time you have brought up a few that I disagree with and a number that just flat made me laugh. I will come to the same conclusion that injuries cannot make or break an entire show and I will leave it to the quality of the athletes. I just want you to understand by eluding to your age I am not trying to marginalize you by any means or discredit you in anyway. I just feel that you where to young to be around when the hype of American Gladiators existed. It is different watching it now then when it first came out. I am sure that in 10 years this show or something similar to what you enjoyed as a child will come out and you will find yourself arguing over the classic version to another guy.

I thought your attempt to convince me of a modern car being as being a Resurrection of an old vehicle by using the Magnum was relatively funny. It was a good point but you should have used a Dodge Charger or a Chevy Camaro but it did make the debate.

I will continue watching like I said I prefer having the Gladiators alternate so they can get better and even the playing ground with the contenders. One last point is the fact that I really dislike the idea like you stated of having the winner from the previous season being a gladiator all I want is to see that little asian guy win and see him on as a gladiator

Sincerely,

Fred R.
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
I never read this debate but I am not going to cuz I think I would be bias. I watched a little bit of the new gladiators and i swear to God that it was scripted...... meaning that they knew who was going to win each challenge and how....... it was EXTREMELY fake
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
Anyone looking for a contender to a sports related debate? I'm your man. Challenge me.
Posted by kage209 9 years ago
kage209
I use to love Nitro and all the dudes with their Mullets go old Gladiators.
Posted by Conspicuous_Conservative 9 years ago
Conspicuous_Conservative
Congrats giants fan good luck against farve, watch the new one it is good but it is nearly identical to the old one.
Posted by shlh1514 9 years ago
shlh1514
They show the old American Gladiators on ESPN Classic. I like the show alot. Never saw the New Gladiators.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Conspicious the reason my opening arguement was weak was because I didnt really want to argue in the first round just really lay some groundworks for you to argue
Posted by Lithobolos 9 years ago
Lithobolos
both were boring. watching real combat sports like MMA or kick boxing is more interesting
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Well, why bother debating if you have no idea what it is.

Maybe you should watch th eNew American Gladiators of NBC at 8 oclock on Mondays then the old American Goladiators on ESPN classic at 7 oclock on weekdays...

Then maybe you could have a chance in deabte
Posted by oprahskid 9 years ago
oprahskid
I'm tempted to debate this topic simply because it's pure mental masturbation. I've never seen a single episode of American Gladiator, but right now I'm positively itching to write a case.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Well, i agree that who ever wrote the article ur pointing at must be an idiot...Some of the New Gladiators are way more vicous than b4...Wolf, Crush, Justice...And the women are even more physical than b4
Vote Placed by Mangani 8 years ago
Mangani
RepublicanView333Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
Vote Placed by reagan_views 9 years ago
reagan_views
Vote Placed by BronxBomber7 9 years ago
BronxBomber7
Vote Placed by Bigmomma1 9 years ago
Bigmomma1
Vote Placed by texasrulz10 9 years ago
texasrulz10
Vote Placed by BB1 9 years ago
BB1
Vote Placed by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred