elgeibo
Danger_Chams-Eddine

The New Batman Movie should not have Johnny Depp or Angelina Jolie in it.

elgeibo

Pro

This was an article on IMDB.com yesterday. I cannot find the link for it now, but I e-mailed a copy to a friend.

So, the first round is my just posting this article, the the next three round will be the actual debate. I will ask that my opponent be CON on this issue meaning that he or she thinks that Johnny Depp or Angelina Jolie should be in the movie. You do not have to "prove" both, just one or the other.

As this is a debate on a non-serious topic, by all means have some fun with it. And, my opponent may go ahead and begin debating if they wish, or they can forfeit the first round, either way is fine with me.

One last bit, my opponent may use whatever of the "rouges gallery" (http://en.wikipedia.org...) they desire, they do not have to stick with the Riddler and Harley Quinn.

Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie have emerged as the people's favorites to play Batman villains in the follow-up to The Dark Knight.
Movie fans want to see The Riddler and Harley Quinn in the next Batman film - and they want Depp and Jolie to play them, according to a new online survey.
Other top picks for the new film, according to the new poll from video and DVD rental firm Blockbuster, include Cat Woman, The Penguin and tough guy Bane.
And the most requested stars to play Batman villains are:
1. Johnny Depp
2. Angelina Jolie
3. Natalie Portman
4. Edward Norton
5. Keira Knightley
6. Daniel Day-Lewis
7. Philip Seymour Hoffman
8. Viggo Mortensen
9. Kevin Spacey
10. Clive Owen
Danger_Chams-Eddine

Con

This seems like a fun debate I will argue to my highest ability.
So I accept the burden of proving that Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie are the best actors to star in the next batman movie.
Christopher Nolan's perspective of Batman:
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight has changed the way the audience views batman. Christopher Nolan directed the films to portray Batman not as a hero but as a man seeking revenge. Past incarnations of the Batman display a billionaire playboy who fights crime for a cheap thrill and for the adrenaline rush. The two representations of batman clash with each other and can not work together. My reasoning to suggest that Nolan's batman is only seeking revenge through his crime fighting is:
Batman Begins (Sub Points):
Bruce Wayne witnesses his parents murdered
Bruce tries to murder his parent murder but is unable do to his mentality of not to kill
Bruce wants to hurt criminal because criminals have hurt him
Bruce reasoning causes him to study and obtain the criminal mentality
Bruce becomes a criminal but due to his training as a ninja he develops a moral brute mentality
Criminal mentality = ability to murder with ease
Ninja or Fighter mentality = ability to murder those who are evil
Bruce returns to Gotham and fights crime as batmen to protect his identity and those connected to him
Conclusion: Bruce Wayne becomes Batman to seek revenge on criminals
The Dark Knight (Sub Points):
Batman pressures the criminal world to fight back
The Joker fights for criminals behalf
The Joker and the Batman are evenly matched in intelligence
The Joker is talented and has a criminal mentality
The Batman is talented and has a fighter mentality
Thus Batman understands that he can cross the line and become a joker himself if he doesn't restrict himself
Harvey Dent is talented and has a fighter mentality but will not kill
Harvey Dent crosses the line and becomes a joker himself (Two Face)
Conclusion: Batman witnesses the many sides of the Mentality spectrum.
Harvey Dent – Fighter Mentality no killing
Joker- Criminal Mentality
Batman-Fighter Mentality
To achieve the Nolan Batman the third movie ought to illustrate a more intellectual and psychological Batman. To achieve the Nolan Batman the villains in the film should not be portrayed as comedic. If the villains are clown like in appearance and personality then it takes away from the more intellectual atmosphere of the film. I suggest that Johnny Depp play the Riddler or the Mad Hatter or Hugo strange. I also suggest that Angelina Jolie play Talia al Ghul or Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy. The rouges listed above each have a deep and appealing psychological history and would be great additions to the film. The villains in the first and second film put pressure on Batman's sense of morality and thus I feel that the third movie's villain should do the same. Essentially I am saying that the crazier the villain the better the movie. The rogues I have listed are of the few that can be taken seriously as Batman villains. Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie are decent actors and achieve the right portrayal of a psychotic villain for the film.
elgeibo

Pro

I thank my opponent for his acceptance of this debate. I hope all the readers enjoy this debate, and that everyone has fun. I also am worried as my opponent's avatar is that of a batman-esque cowled character, while mine is of a lonely Jewish guy that spends his time singing and dancing and making movies while yearning for a lesbian.

I will first look at director Chris Nolan. Christopher Nolan is known for making dark movies. Momento, The Batman movies, The Prestige, etc. All dark movies with actors who play generally dark roles. Although Johnny Depp has dark role credits (watch anything he and Tim Burton have worked on), Angelina Jolie does not. Angelina Jolie has played a few dark roles, but those movies have bombed (in my opinion). The only exception is "Wanted" but her role is not a dark role in a dark movie.

Chris Nolan has also attempted to make the Batman movies take place in a "real world". Mr. Nolan has said in interviews, "...we didn't address it directly in the film, but we did take the position philosophically -- that superheroes simply don't exist" (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...), which neither Angelina Jolie or Johnny Depp have much experience in.

I thought Heath Ledger was a terrible choice for the Joker when I heard it, but Heath Ledger has done both dark roles and "real world" roles.

So, based soley on Chris Nolan, Angelia Jolie and Johnny Depp should not preform in the new Batman movie.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the debate, but I would like to see Kate Beckinsale and James McAvoy as Catwoman and The Riddler.
Danger_Chams-Eddine

Con

Danger_Chams-Eddine forfeited this round.
elgeibo

Pro

elgeibo forfeited this round.
Danger_Chams-Eddine

Con

elgeibo

Pro

elgeibo forfeited this round.
Danger_Chams-Eddine

Con

Posted by Danger_Chams-Eddine 8 years ago
Danger_Chams-Eddine
Elgeibo sorry man i forgot about the time limit...........
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
Your right about Mortensen not fitting the role, but to me, he is the best on the list. (I'm not very good at judging actors)
Posted by Glitchy 8 years ago
Glitchy
Dude, David Tennant for the Riddler. I'm not saying that Depp or Jolie won't do a good job, but I'd like to not have such big actors associated with what I hope will be a great movie.

>.>
It'd be awesome if they got Barbara Gordon/Batgirl into this movie. However unlikely that may be.
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
LOL! If Viggo Mortensen played the role of the Riddler, I think I would DIE of laughter. He is an amazing actor, don't get me wrong, but it is just not his type of role. However, I wouldn't mind if he took a shot at it. Although, he risks his career by doing so.
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
Maybe if it was different.
I can't debte the actors in it, just who the next villain could be.
Posted by elgeibo 8 years ago
elgeibo
does that mean you would like to take me up on my debate? knick-knack?
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
What about Talia Al Ghul? Ras Al Ghul's daughter. It would tie it back into the first movie. And since Rachael Dawes is dead, it would bring in a love interest.
Posted by InquireTruth 8 years ago
InquireTruth
Viggo Mortensen is a one role kind of actor - and the Riddler does not fall under that category.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Angelina Jolie is ugly too.
theitalianstallion
If anyone from that list is selected to play in the follow up to The Dark Knight, I think it should be Viggo Mortensen. Loved him since I first saw him in LOTR and Hidalgo. No one else on the list stands out, as an actor, to me.

Johnny Depp would be decent though.