Dolfan34
KevinL75

The New England Patriots will NOT win the Super Bowl!

Started: 12/19/2007 Category: Sports

Dolfan34

Pro

In my opinion, the New England Patriots will not win the Super Bowl! Over the past few weeks of NFL action I have come to this conclusion for a few reasons. Firstly, and I think most importantly, they (hopefully) will not receive as much help from the referees as they did in the games against the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets. Secondly, they haven't played a very good team in the last 4 weeks except Pittsburgh who is now in a downward spiral. Also, they finish the season with Miami and the NY Giants. Miami is the worst team in the league and the NY Giants at their best are average. Then they get their first round bye. I don't believe they will be ready to play these higher caliber teams in the playoffs with no help from refs and teams with actual talent.
KevinL75

Con

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not the biggest football fan in the world, but I find fault with the logic of your argument.

You said: "Firstly, and I think most importantly, they (hopefully) will not receive as much help from the referees as they did in the games against the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets."

If you think they received help from the refs in past games, on what grounds do you assume they wouldn't receive help in the Superbowl? Isn't that something that isn't able to be predicted?

The rest of your argument assumes that since the Patriots won't have played a high-caliber team by the time the time they have to face one agai, that they won't be able to beat these teams. Given the amount of time an NFL team spends practicing, and the level of natural ability any given NFL player has, I don't think it's fair to assume that the Patriots will play any differently against a good team in the Superbowl than they did at the beginning of the season. Why should we accept that assumption?

I'd like to also point out that I don't necessarily think the Patriots will win the Superbowl - I just think that you won't be able to prove they won't.
Dolfan34

Pro

Well, of corse I can not predict if there will be a crucial call made in favor of the Patriots at the end of one of their playoff games, but I can reasonably assume that they got very very lucky before and that will not happen again.

Last year the Indianapolis Colts came back from an 18 point deficit to beat the New England Patriots in New England to advance to the Super Bowl. After that win there was no doubt than the Colts were going to win the Super Bowl. Why? Because they had proved themselves against a very good team. They had come from behind on the road against a team they haven't beat in the playoffs before. The reason this is important to my argument is because I feel the exact opposite is happening for the Patriots. They have played sub-par teams for the last 6 games and I predict they will not me mentally or physically ready to handle a healthy Colts or Chargers team. Football is a game of emotion and if you go into a game underestimating your opponent or overestimating yourself (especially in the playoffs) you would be very lucky to come away with a win.
KevinL75

Con

You said: "Football is a game of emotion and if you go into a game underestimating your opponent or overestimating yourself (especially in the playoffs) you would be very lucky to come away with a win."

Your argument basically boils down to the schedule that the Patriots have had to face in the last part of the season - since they're not facing teams that play at the level of the teams they will face at the playoffs, they will not be prepared to face those teams when the playoffs, and the Superbowl, do come.

I maintain that the New England Patriots, and every professional football team, know more about the game than either of us, and are well aware that the teams they are currently playing are sub-par. Unless you can prove that it's impossible for a team to play effectively against a good team after playing against several bad teams, I don't accept your argument.

I don't think the Patriots will go into the playoffs underestimating opponents or overestimating themselves - don't you think that the Pats' coaches are players are afraid of that phenomenon and are preparing it? Your argument, I think, is really treating the team like they're in middle school.

You also said: "They have played sub-par teams for the last 6 games and I predict they will not me mentally or physically ready to handle a healthy Colts or Chargers team."

I've already addressed the mental aspect, but again, these guys are professional athletes, and pretty good ones at that. I don't have any doubt that at any given point in the season, given that all of the players are healthy, they're physically ready to play effectively against any team in the league. It's not like they don't condition in a week leading up to playing a sub-par team.
Dolfan34

Pro

Dolfan34 forfeited this round.
KevinL75

Con

KevinL75 forfeited this round.
Posted by shlh1514 9 years ago
shlh1514
Well this is not a debate this is a question.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
hahahahahaha YOU LOST ... The Pats are still undefeated , Funny when the Pats win by sooooooo many points they are runnign up the score and being mean and unsportsmanlike , but when they lose by a smaller amount , they are not that good , they almost got beat , they are under achieving ... etc .. but the end result is still The Pats are undefeated and noone else is ... They are still the top in the NFL right now. Maybe the Pats won't win (I think they will ) but you in no way can say they will not win without a doubt because in actuality , the probability is that the Patriots will win the Superbowl if they keep doing what they are doing.
Posted by Dolfan34 9 years ago
Dolfan34
Well, you are right we lost. But considering we picked Brady off twice, sacked him three times and forced a fumble from him, I would say we ended up ok. Not to mention the fact we got hosed on the TERRIBLE call that negated the Cleo Lemon touchdown run. But congrats on going 15-0!
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
awwww poor dolphin fan didnt do to well against those Pats today :)
Posted by Dolfan34 9 years ago
Dolfan34
Maybe you don't know what a debate actually is. Let me help you. I make a point based on facts which have brought me to an opinion. Someone else counters my points and tries to prove that their point is correct and mine is not. You can debate about which pet is better a cat or a dog. Are either of those scientificly correct? Of course not! I can't prove a dog is better than a cat, but I can give better points than my challenger, therefor winning the debate. Also, let me say I do not hate the Patriots. I do not think they are cheaters. I do not want to see Tom Brady hit by a bus. I'm simply throwing out an opinion I have based on my football knowledge and the facts surrounding the Patriots current situation. So kels1123 just calm down, I'm not bashing your beloved Patriots!
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
lol , The Pats will most likely win the Superbowl , but anyway the PRO will not win this debate because he can not say the Pats won't win because he does not know ... nobody knows ...
Posted by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
not a bad debate so far my friends. I am not much of a foot ball fan but I think Dolfan34 has me convinced that The New England Patriotshas will not win the super bowl...
Posted by ruth421963 9 years ago
ruth421963
Well said I agree with you about
The Pats. They are good on a bad day.
This debate is sad. The Colts & Harrison.
Will I ever stop hearing that? Healthy Colts.
The Pats have had{over a 12yrs of good guys
taken out/hurt}. After all look at Brady, he
caught a big break when Drew was injured.
I realize The Pats could have played stronger
if Brady didn't take his personal problems out
on the field.
Yes I'm a Pats fan. I can still see the light,
sometimes it may get cloudy. WIN PATS WIN.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
ROTFLMAO :) The Pats will do fine , and if the Pats are sooooooo bad and in for surprises and dont deserve their wins ...etc ,...why is everyone on this site so obsessed with them... No other team has gotten this many debates posted about them. To focus this much energy into teams that you think are going to lose is absurd... It sounds more like deep down you have so much fear of this team and you are afraid they will win. I have total confidence the Pats will probably win , however I can't predict it , there is no way to predict that. We will know when we get to that point until then , stop focusing on the other team if you think they are as bad as you keep saying. Jealous much ... you are actually trying so hard to prove an undefeated team is not that good .. its crazy really... instead of trying to prove your own team is good...
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by Thoreau 9 years ago
Thoreau
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by Dolfan34 9 years ago
Dolfan34
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by jordanbs 9 years ago
jordanbs
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by indicolts 9 years ago
indicolts
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by Keithinator 9 years ago
Keithinator
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 9 years ago
sdcharger
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied
Vote Placed by hjfrutwiufy 9 years ago
hjfrutwiufy
Dolfan34KevinL75Tied