The New World Translation Equates Jesus With Jehovah

Put your first argument in Round 1.

Isaiah 40:3 in the NWT says, "A voice of one calling out in the wilderness, "Clear up the way of Jehovah! Make a straight highway for our God."

John the Baptist fulfills this prophecy, when he told people that JESUS was coming.

Thank you Pro for creating this debate. Per your request, I will begin this debate in Round 1:

Pro has failed to put forth any valid reason for thinking that the NWT equates Jesus with Jehovah. Pro cites Isaiah 40:3 but has not showed 1.) That Isaiah 40 is making a prophecy. 2) That John fulfilled this prophecy. 3.) That such a prophecy is in reference to Jesus.

Until Pro can fulfill all three criteria, Pro cannot use Isaiah 40 as evidence for the NWT equating Jesus with Jehovah.

Counter Argument:

Pro hasn't really developed an argument for the affirmative so I will be brief in my counter. Firstly, Isaiah 40 is written in present tense to the "heart of Jerusalem" and is referring to events that were taking place during that time period and was encouraging actions. This is not prophecy. It is not making predictions about the future.

Secondly, there is nothing that specifically links John the Baptizer to Isaiah. His name is not mentioned in the prophecy nor are his actions tied to Isaiah in any meaningful way.

Lastly, Jesus is never mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). And the Tetragrammaton (YHWH or Jehovah) is never used in the Greek Scriptures (New Testament). There is nothing tying these two names together.

I look forward to reading Pro's argument.

Read John 1. It was a prophet, and John the Baptist fulfilled it.

"And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou? And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ."And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No. Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. And they which were sent were of the Pharisees. And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet? "John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; he it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe"s latchet I am not worthy to unloose."These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing."

Codedlogic forfeited this round.

My apologies for the FF on previous round.

Pro has failed to address any of my rebuttals or establish that 1.) That Isaiah 40 is making a prophecy. 2) That John fulfilled this prophecy. 3.) That such a prophecy is in reference to Jesus. Simply quoting scripture is not a valid response to these issues.

I showed you that it was a prophecy and that it was fulfilled by John the Baptist by quoting you a part of John 1. Biblically, It's obvious that it was a prophecy and was fulfilled by John the Baptist because it says it is right in John 1. John said he was making the way for Jesus in the last sentence, when Isaiah 40 says it is Jehovah.

Secondly: Zechariah 9:9 says Jehovah will come to Zion on a Donkey.

It says, "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion. Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem. Look! Your king is coming to you. He is righteous, bringing salvation, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a female donkey."

According to this, the King of Zion will come bringing salvation: Making him the King and Redeemer/Savior of Israel. So it is talking about Jehovah, because Isaiah 44:6 says, "This is what Jehovah says, the King of Israel and his Repurchaser (I.e., redeemer), Jehovah of armies: I am the first and I am the last. There is no God but me.".

So according to these, Jehovah is the King and Savior or Israel, and the King and Savior of Israel will come to Zion riding on a Donkey, and a colt the foal of a Donkey. Therefore, whoever fulfills this prophecy must be Jehovah.

Jesus fulfills this in Matthew 21:1-9, thus this translation makes Jesus equal to Jehovah.

Thirdly: Zechariah 11:12-13 says Jehovah was prised at thirty pieces of silver.

It says, "Then I said to them: "If it seems good to you, give me my wages; but if not, withhold them." And they paid my wages, 30 pieces of silver. Then Jehovah said to me: "Throw it into the treasury"the magnificent value with which they valued me." So I took the 30 pieces of silver and threw it into the treasury at the house of Jehovah."

1. Why this is a prophecy: Matthew 27:3-9 confirms it.
2. Why this was fulfilled when Judas betrayed Jesus: Matthew 26:14-16 and Matthew 27:3-9 confirm it.

Since the prophecy is about Jehovah, and Jesus fulfilled it, it makes Jesus, Jehovah.

Lastly: No possible one can come before Jehovah, no possible one can come before Jesus.

In Isaiah 44:6, Jehovah says, "I am the first and I am the last.".
In Revelation 22:13, Jesus says he is the first and the last.

Maybe one could say, "Jehovah made Jesus equal to him, but he wasn't always.", but these verses make it impossible. If one is the first and last, no one can possibly come before them, and no one can possibly come after them. Since Jesus is the first and last, he cannot be created, because then Jehovah would have came before him, which contradicts Jesus' claim of being the first. Since Jehovah is eternal and uncreated, this means Jesus is also eternal and uncreated, since they are both the first and the last.

Pro has made very convincing arguments that the NWT says Jehovah and Jesus are the same person. Thank you for your extensive research Pro. Vote Pro!
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago
He denied the Father and Son.
Posted by RealCS 1 year ago
Whether con or pro, both are ridiculous because both don't exist.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Graceful concession by Con.