Plebidise
moneymade27

The Nintendo Switch currently is a great Console/Handheld Device.

moneymade27 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 11/11/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Plebidise

Pro

(Previous debate was forfeited by my opponent on round 1.)

Alright, this will be more of a casual debate about the thoughts of the Nintendo Switch. I will argue that the Nintendo Switch so far is a fantastic console and a huge step for Nintendo. While the opposition will argue that the Nintendo Switch has a heavy amount of flaws that hinders the Nintendo Switch from being a good console despite its massive success.

There will be a couple of ground rules:

1. No trolling, excessive insulting, etc.

2. No forfeiting of course.

3. First round is for acceptance (Just to make things quick. After accepting this debate just say "I accept this debate" so we can get things moving). Also in the final paragraph of the final round there needs to be of course a simple summary of the argument towards why people would want to vote on our side and no new evidence for the final paragraph.

4. Of course have fun! Don't get TOO worked up about this simple debate.

5. By "Great" or "Good", it is meant that the Switch not only meets its primary goal very well. But its pros still outweighs its cons since the Switch's flaws are also inevitable. But CON will give reasoning towards how the Switch's flaws outweigh its pros.
Plebidise

Pro

(Alright just note that you should have said how you accepted the debate and not how you "Agree" but anyways.)

The Concept (+ Execution):

The Nintendo Switch of course is a Console/Handheld Hybrid which gives the user the ability to take their console-graphic games ANYWHERE they go. The concept is as practical as it sounds despite the general size of the console. The Nintendo Switch is extremely reliable because of its portability which also gives the Nintendo Switch a huge advantage in plenty of ports making a lot of ports the definitive edition or objectively the best port because of the Switch's unique gimmicks (With exceptions of Power-Hungry games like EA Sports or DOOM which in that case is up for preferation).

While the Switch is certainly a big portable machine which may seem not all TOO portable, there are definently techniques to help with the portability. One technique I found useful was to have the joycons be seperate and place into one pocket with the Screen being on the other pocket. With that technique I was able to not have too big of an issue moving or carrying the Nintendo Switch console with Semi-Big Pockets (Though its better to have a pocket that zips just in case). So really portability is a no brainer for what the Switch does right.

The Design and Versatility of the Nintendo Switch:

While as a home console, the Nintendo Switch mostly supports the Joycons (Single Joycon play included) with the Switch Pro Controller and other Third Party Controllers (Was added in a firmware update if I remember correctly). None of this is anything to write home about, but the versatility as a whole from the amount of options you can play on the switch IS!

You can use third party controllers, the Pro Controller, Single Joycons, Handheld Mode with Joycons attached, Joycon Grips, Joycon's unattatched, and more on the go. These options makes the Nintendo Switch great for parties as well as with proper controllers and without joycons there isn't a need to have a crowd of people waiting in line to play Mario Kart with a small Single Joycon. The Third Party controllers can actually be quite cheap and a lot of them are relatively roomy. I actually use the 8bitdo controllers where despite the controller itself being somewhat small, it still feels comfortable and is designed to look great.

The size of the Joycons are actually pretty adequate unless you have hellishly big hands, and I really mean that as a person with 21 cm hands.

As you can see from the comparison, the Joycon's buttons are the same size as that of a 3DS XL along with the Joycons being a bit taller as a whole. This is a pretty overall adequate size for wanting to play with two joycons. What makes it better is the overall curviness of the Joycon which allows for the fingers to be aligned naturally without much problem for long periods of time.

However, the only issue I ever had with the controller sizes were in fact the single joycons which are designed to be two handed which ends up being quite cramped for people with bigger hands.

HOWEVER, you can easily buy other controllers (Some Third Party Controllers aren't too expensive) or use the Joycon Grip to make it a bit bigger along with giving a more curved texture for a little more comfort, and the Single Joycons are mostly only used for multiplayer play anyways so it wont come across as too big of a problem to really hamper the switch down. After all, making the joycons any bigger might hurt the portability more.

The Games:

Overall, the Nintendo Switch at its current state has a strong lineup of games. There are quite a lot of great First Party Support, some suprisingly decent Third Party Support, and a plethora of fantastic Indie Games with a steady trend of many games coming onto the EShop each week along with there being a lot of fantastic looking games being announced. I will go list off some games on the Nintendo Switch that are probably worth mentioning to help convey how strong the Switch is when it comes to games, especially when it comes to games that are PORTABLE!

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild:

Definently a no-brainer when it comes to noteworthy Nintendo Switch games. Every accomplishment I made in this game felt like something I truly did as if it wasn't artificially made or it wasn't purposefully supposed to happen but I discovered it. It's artstyle is gorgeous and it truly captures the feel of exploration. I mean every single thing I see I can go to LITERALLY with no limits. And it is quite flexible towards any kind of pace. You can literally get off the Great Plateau within a few hours and fight Ganon if you want to, I mean its hard but its possible with speedrunners being able to do it. And there are fantastic collectibles and a fantastic combat system that rewards the player for strategy. Simply a must-have.

Super Mario Odyssey:

Again, another undisputable no-brainer. Super Mario Odyssey is bursting with charm with just Mario's plentiful amount of facial expressions ALONE. Each Kingdom feels like its own Mini-World with many things to unlock and discover. Mario feels fantastic to control with the amount of options he has. And finding power moons are addictive as hell, and of course the Ending was just phenomenal and unique and simply something I'll never forget. And capturing enemies helps diversify the gameplay and it was always fun to have Mario in costumes. Also theres a lot of Super Mario 64 fanservice as well.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:

Not much needs to be said about this title, its simply the definitive version of Mario Kart as a whole. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has FANTASTIC and unique racing tracks with gorgeous visuals and the fact that its portable means that its just fantastic for parties.

Splatoon 2:

Splatoon 2 has addictive multiplayer battles with its unique 3rd Person Shooter Gameplay that allows for mixing up plenty of strategies with Turf Wars and other competitive modes. Salmon Run is a blast to play and the Single Player content is great. And there are many things to customize. Just wish that the Voice Chat system was better tho...

ARMS:

As a fighting game fan myself. I find ARMS to have such a unique emphasis on defensive movement-based playstyles with many combination of arms to mix up gameplay. There are many arms to unlock along with a badge system recently implemented with some free DLC. ARMS is definently worth a try and it was consistently enjoyable to play.

Pokken Tournament DX:

Pokken Tournament DX is a more combo-oriented Fighting game unlike arms with two different phases for both 3D fighting and 2D fighting. Of course its more of a tranditional fighting game compared to ARMS but again it does have the unique phases system. The gameplay feels fastpaced yet fun with quite a bit of pokemon being added. Again, definently worth the money.

Snipperclips:

Probably a game not a lot of people talked about. Snipperclips is a stellar puzzle game with an emphasis on cutting shapes to solve puzzles or to be cut a specific shape together. Snipperclips has a gorgeous and adorable artstyle and I remember back when I brought my switch to a party, 80% of the time me and some friends were laughing our asses off from the awkwardly sexual facial expressions of the two characters. Definently a game worthy of more recognition, also Snipperclips got a recent expansion pack as well.

Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle:

As someone who hated the Minions, the Rabbids weren't really my cup of tea initially. However for some reason, the crossover between them and Mario actually worked quite well. The artstyle meshed well with the more down to earth Mario characters and each battle has a rather cinematic feel with its bombastic soundtrack. I actually didn't mind the Rabbids too much along with them being occasionally amusing. The emphasis on being stealthy in a more Fire-Emblem like gameplay allows for the game to be quite strategic and occasionally very difficult.

Disgaea 5 Complete: Speaking of Fire Emblem-like games. Disgaea 5 Complete is basically Fire Emblem, but like on steroids. I mean there are literally demonic penguins that explode who are required to say "Dood" after every single line they say. Its as weird as it sounds. There is an overwhelming amount of content Disgaea 5 Complete has. From a great subclass system, to going up to level 9999 and reincarnating to reset the levels to gain extra stat bonuses, to the abundance of postgame content. There are hundreds of hours to spend in Disgaea 5 Complete which makes it even better since its portable. And the attacking animations, my god... it's so stupidly over the top that its just amazing.

I haven't even scratched the surface with the amount of games the Switch has that are good. I only handpicked some of the 70ish games that I personally found noteworthy because of the limited characters remaining. Hell, I probably downplayed more than half of these games in how good they are by giving a brief overview of them because of Characters Remaining.

Battery Life:

Initially a lot of people thought that the Nintendo Switch's battery life is problematic, after all its only 3 hours for very high end games like Mario Kart or Zelda. However turning brightness down quite a bit can help a lot with battery and a good chunk of games can have quite a bit of battery. Games like Sonic Mania last up to around 6 hours with full brightness which is great as a whole. And you'd probably bring an extra charger anyways for a trip long enough to drain the Nintendo Switch's Battery Life completely. So the battery life is not as bad as it seems.

Conclusion:

The Nintendo Switch is EXTREMELY Versatile as a Tablet with many ways to play. Its very powerful as far as tablets go and its only a bit underpowered as a console in compensation. The Portability Convenience and the plentiful of fantastic games really do help the Nintendo Switch A LOT. The Nintendo Switch achieves what it wants to do very well. Therefore, the Switch is a "Great" Gaming System.

Posted by Plebidise 13 hours ago
Plebidise
"propaganda", how exactly? I mean I get that NIintendo isn't your cup of tea, but it doesn't mean that it is automatically a bad system and that NO ONE will buy it. The Nintendo Switch is still selling like hotcakes even with the heavy shortages in terms of supply along with there being more third party releasing on the Switch and a steady release schedule.

All you are doing most of the time is nothing but making arbitrary claims and you almost never present proper evidence, when you do I easily counterargue it while you cannot defend the claim whenever I counterargue so you just result towards just making a bold claim.

Actually I'm really curious, are you a troll?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 18 hours ago
FanboyMctroll
Your propaganda will not get people to buy in, and Christmas sales will prove that in January

NINTENDO SWITCH SUCKS!!
Posted by Plebidise 1 day ago
Plebidise
1. That article was rated 1.5/5... There are many counterarguments to make about that article such as the fact that games DO run at 60 fps but certain REALLY high-ended games like DOOM or Botw can only run 30 fps but they run at 30 fps relatively smoothly and its even smoother on the go which is even nicer. I probably shouldn't even bother going in depth about this video, the comment section probably has a lot of counter arguments.

2. Two can play that "game" in terms of finding random articles/videos that talks about the switch, here are some that are pro-switch if your mind can only handle simple videos talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com... (From ReviewTechUSA. This guy throughout most of his youtube career used to be mostly "anti-Nintendo" and he especially disliked the original Wii and complained a lot about some of Nintendo's business decisions. So credible and unbiased enough).

https://www.youtube.com... (From Jim Sterling, he was controversial for his Zelda review and how he found it overrated eventhough it was relatively justified and he had problems with the Switch at launch. Now he is talking about the success of the Switch and why its so great, you should check it out.)

https://www.youtube.com... (This is less about the Switch and more about Nintendo having "kiddie" games. Its an interesting video to watch really for the whole entire "nintendo for kiddies" argument.

And so on, there are a significantly more positive videos compared to negative videos on the Nintendo Switch currently with that one video (and maybe like one other obscure video) that talks smack about the Nintendo Switch AS A WHOLE, and there is a lot of issues with those arguments which prove that they don't even own a Switch to judge.

3. Actually dispute some other arguments I made instead of using random and arbitrary videos, I can easily use those videos for my argument as well like you.

4. Actually debate me
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 day ago
FanboyMctroll
Your Nintendo propaganda will not sway people into buying this lame console

Propaganda!! Is this recent enough for you?

https://thegamefreakshow.com...
Posted by Plebidise 1 day ago
Plebidise
1. That article was in JANUARY. There was a mix between people thinking it would be successful or failing. And of course, the switch was a success. There are currently plenty of games to play that are good, its pricing is probably the same as it was announced but it actually isn't too bad for a recently released console especially as a portable hybrid console where it has 2 uses, it definently was an overreaction, specs are an understandable complaint but the Switch has been shown to run high-end games quite well even with some small graphics changes for it to fit PORTABLY. The controllers turned out fine after the left joycon desync glitch got fixed, the online service is confirmed to be 20$ a YEAR with free NES/SNES game each month or so which is a nice deal, + it might help with Nintendo's actual online, and I understand the lack of storage on the Switch but its really an easy buy to get a micro-sd card, not nearly as bad as the Vita.

2. The other article was 10 MONTHS ago, again not a relevant article.

3. Actually use an article released at least a few months ago or relatively recently towards the switch failure and not any articles before launch or in the very beginning of launch (May -> June).

4. Are you a legitament Troll? Or are you THAT ignorant?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 day ago
FanboyMctroll
I will give you 6 reasons why the Nintendo will fail

6 reasons not to buy this console FAIL!!

http://whatculture.com...

also more FAIL

https://betanews.com...

Case closed, apology accepted (mic drop) end of discussion
Posted by Plebidise 2 days ago
Plebidise
1. So you are literally complete biased towards sony? Yet you called me the Nintendo Marketing Manager/Social Media Manager... what kind of hypocrisy is that? Actually how the hell did you even get hired by Sony if you can't process an actual argument and you result towards your fanboyism and paycheck as your only argument. Like even if I were a "Nintendo Employee" I was at the very least open minded and accepting of new things, you seem to do the exact opposite.

2. I don't need you to love Nintendo, I need you to learn that the Switch will NOT fail regardless of your Nintendo hatred.

3. Lego games aren't exclusive to Nintendo, and what "Princess" games?

4. Proof of the Switch going to be a flop next year? What statistics are you looking at and can you link it?
Posted by Kagasquid 3 days ago
Kagasquid
Ok im back @FanboyMctroll.
Not meaning to be rude or anything but saying Nintendo only makes kiddy games is very wrong and makes it look like you have a vague understanding of thd company and IP. Is Fire Emblem kiddy? Is Xenoblade kiddy? Is Metroid Prime kiddy? Are the modern 3d Zelda's kiddy? No! Nintendo tries to cater to an older demographic to. Besides that, a games enjoyment and worth should not be decided over how 'mature' the game is. If the game is fun, who cares? Your not more manly for enjoying a different type of game from the next. This is a nerdy hobby. This is not a thing that you measure manlyhood off. All I ask is that you try Nintendo games before you write it off. Im a Nintendo fan, but i dont go and bash PS4. I own multiple systems.

Also, no Switch is not a failure. Switch is projected to outsell Wii U in its first year and is outselling both DS and PS2 which are both the best selling systems of all time. Nintendo currently holds a 2/3 marketshare in tye US and consistently outsells PS4 in nearly every market. Switch also has a higher attach rate for games than PS4 in its first year as well. Nintendo is going to produce 30 million units this year to try and meet the demand which is incredibly high, especially in Japan. Switch is here to stay.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 days ago
FanboyMctroll
I'm not debating you because it's a waste of time. I work for Sony, I only play Sony, I love Sony and Sony pays me so you will never convert me to loving Nintendo. The move controllers for Sony were terrible and I never had them, but I will only support Sony, to me Nintendo is garbage with their 10 and under themed retarded Lego games and princesses and lame Mario games.

And you might not believe me but I have seen the stat cast numbers for next year and they show the Switch being a big flop like the Pok"mon GO, Big bang and loud noise from the start, forgotten in 6 months.

The Switch is a failure like the Wii U or the Playsation Vita, lame products that the marketing and design teams thought would be great but in reality nobody cares. Sony is the best,, and sale numbers prove it. Where is the Wii U right now??? How many Wii U games were released last month 1??? That will be the same fate for the Switch by April 30'th, 2018

Sorry to give you the bad news, hope you didn't waste all your money on this console only to have it collecting dust in 6 months along with your Wii
Posted by Plebidise 4 days ago
Plebidise
You seem to give Sony fanboys a bad name, you hate EVERYTHING that isn't from Sony and you desire failure on other systems especially Nintendo's. I mean, you blindly believe that the Switch will fail in terms of SALES when the only point you made was how it was going to be a "fad". Consoles aren't fads, they will only die out when more consoles come on the market that are believed to be superior in terms of how they work. The Nintendo Switch has a great niche with enough people supporting it along with lots of third party support on board right now where having it fail all the sudden would be impossible to actually predict and back up outside of random "what if" questions.

You love playstation, good for you! But you cannot just blindly hate other companies for not being Sony. Actually wishing failure on a system would mean that Sony would have less competition to make better products. Actually Nintendo's products can sometimes be so successful that Sony sometimes tries to copy things Nintendo made and then fail. A good example of this would be the Playstation Move which was essentially just a Wii knockoff.

Also, you keep on talking about the controllers for the system and how they are bad. You never elaborated on this and I've made counterarguments including arguments IN THE ACTUAL DEBATE. Please actually counterargue these points and not just pull that argument out of nowhere without counterarguments.

Oh yea... ACTUALLY DEBATE ME.