Plebidise
Debater022022

The Nintendo Switch is Great

Debater022022 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 11/29/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Plebidise

Pro

Rules:

1. No Trolling.

2. No Arbitrary predictions that aren't supported with actual evidence (Like saying how the Switch will fail in a year without actual evidence from an article and such).

3. No Forfeits.

4. Use Common Sense.

What we will be Debating:

Con will be debating on how the Nintendo Switch fails at what it strives to do (As a portable console) AND NOT because of blatant fanboyism OR because the Switch isn't for Con.

I will be arguing that the Nintendo Switch is successful at what it does and it is a great console/handheld in general.

The Structure of the Debate:

Round 1:

Pro: I will go over the rules and to go over the structure of the debate and what we will be claiming, etc.

Con: This may get a little interesting, you will actually be counterarguing Round 2 of this: www.debate.org/debates/The-Nintendo-Switch-currently-is-a-great-Console-Handheld-Device. (Copy and Paste the Link because of some glitches with the link). You must counterclaim Rouns 2 of that debate for this round along with using evidence. This is because no one replied nor counterargued this and its just for time management so I don't have to repeat the same things. Then you must conclude with how everything wrong with the Switch overall makes the Switch fail AT ITS JOB.

Round 2:

Pro:
I will try to counterargue Con's points and counterarguments from Round 1.

Con: Con will try to counterargue my points from Round 1.

Round 3:

Pro:
I will try to counterargue Con's point and counterarguments from Round 2. Then I will conclude on why the Switch as a whole is a success and I have to connect all my points into one Puzzle Piece basically for my conclusion.

Con: Con will try to couterargue my points from Round 3 then Con will make a Conclusion on why the Switch is a failure similar to Round 1 along with having to connect all of his points into one Puzzle Piece for his conclusion.

Judging Phase:

The Judges should be relatively open-minded and they must give a full insight on the debate and to explain very thoroughly on why they personally believe that either me or the opposition won the debate. I recommend doing this in a Google Document.

Happy Debating!

Debater022022

Con

The switch may be great, but PS4 is better than anything in the world so far. Anyway, Switch is like a Wii, in some ways. Please be more specific. The switch is no way different from anything I've played. I see what your coming from though, but the PS4 is way better.
Plebidise

Pro

First Things First:

You did not do the proper format of this debate for round 1 where you are supposed to argue something from the Link that I had which demonstrates why the Switch is a great console/hybrid, so maybe you'd know why the Switch's gimmicks are important or just useful in general.

The Playstation 4 may be a decent console, but it isn't the best for it's general purpose:

While sure, the Playstation 4 doe
s have its advantages. I personally do like a lot of exclusives on the Playstation 4 and it does have some general conveniences that a console has but a PC doesn't, but a PC is simply a better option for home gaming unless you want to play local a lot, even then the Nintendo Switch is simply superior for Local Play which I will explain later.

The PC is of course upgradable and it has potential to be a generation ahead in power compared to the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. You don't need to constantly buy the same thing for an expensive price like the upgrades from lets say an Xbox One to an Xbox One S just for more graphical improvements and other improvements, you can build on your PC with upgrades consistently and of course theres options for buying a new PC as well if there are problems mantaining one.

The PC's most popular shopping platform for games (Which is STEAM) is reliable if you know what game you want to get (Since the main drawback of STEAM is the amount of shovelware, but there are a lot of Triple A games from Third Party Developers along with exclusives as well so don't worry).

There are also general conveniences from the PC such as Mods, lots of Steam sales, no need for Paid Online, and more while also being able to be multipurpose.

While the PS4 does have a couple of very minor niches, it mostly gets outclassed by PC which is the main problem with the PS4 really. When it comes to PS4 vs Xbox One it really depends on which kinds of games interest you and what you want from a console tbh.

Why the Switch is Unique and Great at its Job:

Of course the key fundamental factor of the Switch is its portability AND versatility.

It really is suprising how much power a single handheld with the price of 300$ (Smartphones can sometimes have similar power but they are significantly more expensive and very little apps actually utilize most Smartphone's graphical power anyways). The Switch is capable of steadily running Triple A games in 30 FPS at least (Some run 60 FPS) and they run quite smoothly (with only one or two hiccups) especially in handheld mode and the graphical differences are only a little noticeable with decent porting (Try looking up some Console Comparison videos).

The Versatility of the Switch is also a main contributor given how many ways to play. There is of course a lot of controllers that can be used such as the two joycons, using a single joycon, using the pro controller, using third party controllers, and using some of Nintendo's past controllers (https://www.youtube.com...).

Also all of these unique modes are there in Handheld Mode and you can even use a Kickstand for using two joycons to play or to share joycons to play Mario Kart or something with a friend on the go making the Switch more of a portable console than a handheld like the 3DS along with the Switch being great for parties along with being the superior console for Local Play which is something the PC doesn't do that consoles do given the portability of the Switch.

The Switch lacks actual competition for its features and it doesn't really get outclassed as a portable powerhouse either. The 3DS is more portable and cheaper sure... but its games are more suited for handheld play than on a big TV when it comes to 90% of the games on the 3DS while the Switch has a mix between the two. The 3DS also has a 244p screen which while it isn't as graphically bad as it sounds, it still isn't particularly pretty in 2017.

The previous debate that I gave the link to in Round 1 talks a bit about the Joycon sizes and how unless you share the joycons, it usually doesn't feel cramped as well.

The Games:

As far as a console that isn't even a year old goes, the Switch has a REALLY good library of games. Nintendo actually cherry picks most games that they want on their systems just so there is little to no shovelware (But there are occasions like Vroom in the Night Sky or Troll and I where they slip through secretly while also being pretty bad games). There is a decent amount of quantity games and a LOT of quality. Just for times sake I will just flat out list all the games I find at least good (with some games being good for certain kinds of people) without making an essay on why each single game is good like the previous debate:

Super Mario Odyssey, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Snipperclips, Super Bomberman R (WITH Update 2.0.0 which is free), Slime-San, Battle Chef Brigade, Silent Hill: Revelations 1 & 2, Dragon Quest Heroes: 1 & 2 (Japan Exclusive), Minecraft (For certain kinds of people), Skylanders (For certain kinds of people as well) Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition, Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Skyrim (The Remastered Edition btw), ARMS, NBA 2k18 (If this series interests you, this port is better than Madden tho), Disgaea 5 Complete, ARMS, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Rocket League, Steamworld Dig 2, Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge, Snake Pass, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, NeuroVoider, VVVVVV, De Mambo, Graceful Explosion Machine, Sonic Mania, Pokken Tournament DX, Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers (debateably good), STEEP, Golf Story, L.A Noire, DOOM, Fire Emblem Warriors, Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Splatoon 2, Jackbox Party Pack 1-3, Namco Museum, Cave Story+, Kamiko, Binding of Isaac: Aftebirth+, GoNNer, Blaster Master Zero, VOEZ, Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack, Bulb Boy, Monster Hunter XX (Currently a Japan Exclusive), Shantae: Half Genie Hero, Flip Wars, a Flame in the Flood, Little Inferno, Ironcast, a crap ton of NEO GEO games, and SO MUCH MORE.

Oh yea, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming out Friday and that game has been anticipated for around a year too.

Conclusion:

The Switch's versatility and portability makes the system unique and hard to compete with really, especially the PC. The great games, reliability, and many ways to play allows for the Switch to really appeal to anyone and it is a right step for Nintendo.

I await your next argument.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 month ago
FanboyMctroll
Switch 2 thumbs down
Posted by Plebidise 1 month ago
Plebidise
1. The joycons are quite comfy for big hands if you are using two of them instead of one. They are bigger controllers than the ones on the 3DS XL with the same button size along with being the same overall size of the Vita along with being curvy.

2. How ignorant are you? You keep putting up with the "kiddy" arguments when we all counterargued it and Kagasquid offered a video. You didn't even look at it!
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 month ago
FanboyMctroll
Kagasquid I did try the Switch and it was retarded, I used the miniature controllers and my hands started cramping, then I played all the kid games on the tiny screen (an Ipad screen or laptop is better and larger)

The games are for children, some plumber collecting coins, c'mon what are you 5???

Play GTA 5 or some real man games, unless you enjoy splashing others with paint (retarded)
Posted by Kilk1 1 month ago
Kilk1
I tend toward Kagasquid's side on the "kiddy" issue. I'm not necessarily Splatoon's or Arms's biggest fan, but you CAN'T start attacking Mario. C'mon! The Mario series is a classic that goes back to the 80's. The way I see it, any true gamer should at least be okay with Mario. The same with Zelda. It may not be M-rated (which, as a Christian, isn't actually a bad thing), but it certainly isn't "baby-stuff." Just give Breath of the Wild a try. Also, while I haven't played Metroid Prime (yet), it doesn't look "kiddy" either.

On a fundamental scale, saying a game's bad because it isn't manly is nothing more than an opinion. Who's to say video games aren't a time to let out your inner nerd? Deep down inside, all true gamers have one, you know.
Posted by Kagasquid 1 month ago
Kagasquid
I reccommend you watch this FanboyMctroll
https://m.youtube.com...
Posted by Kagasquid 1 month ago
Kagasquid
Mate. Dont use video games to measure your manlihood. Sure, those particular games may not be your type of games, which is fine, but to go "Nintendo is for babies" makes you look immature. How about actually playing and trying the games rather than trash talking them because you only like "mature" games. Just because some Nintendo games have a cartoony artstyle does not make them bad games. Not to mention not every Nintendo game is "kiddy". There are plenty of games on Switch to suit every demographic. You miss out on so many fantastic games by acting like you are. Don't like the Switch? Fine. But your not "manly" for playing video games. Your a nerd just like me :) .
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 month ago
FanboyMctroll
Nintendo is for baby fanboys!!! Splatoon 2, please what type of baby plays with paint splashing, yay wow what a swell game, let me get my baby wipes out.

Mario Kart, yeah I want to drive around in a cartoony cart jumping and shooting flames....gay!!!

Arms, yeah I want to punch with spring hands, yeah that sound great....NOT

Anyone who plays Nintendo Switch must be 5 or just a mature child.

I play serious games like Outlast, Call of Duty, Evil Within, Until Dawn, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Watchdogs, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider. All amazing games with superb graphics good stories and serious missions..........not some retarded "Hey gang lets go splash paint around or jump for coins or run around looking for a princess and collecting fairies. GAY!!
Posted by Kagasquid 1 month ago
Kagasquid
Btw im not hating on Xbox, i used to be as big xbox fan in gen 7. Borderline fanboy. I want them to do better. Competition is good.
Posted by Kagasquid 1 month ago
Kagasquid
The main problem with Xbox is that they lack exclusives and their line up is not as diverse as the other platforms. The hardware is fine but thry need to fix their software.
Posted by Plebidise 1 month ago
Plebidise
It's not that the Xbox is bad, its just that PS4 fanboys are more common. Really the Xbox One X fits a certain demographic of people along with the PS4 and Switch. But the Switch has the most unique and most useful niche of the three (Not including PC cuz PC is bae).

I predict that my opponent won't respond to this debate so he can take the L knowing he will lose so it doesn't get into his records. He can prove me wrong if he actually continues the debate lol.