The North Started the Civil War

First Round is for acceptation only :)

I accept the round and I will enjoy debating with you.

Lincoln's Tyranny in the South:

The Nullification crisis was said to be the first start of the Civil War. The Tarrif highy taxed the Southern states including South Carolina whitch it tried to succed form but didn't because of not a lot of supporters.

In January of 1861, a mouth after South Carolina seceded the Morril Tarrif was passed by Lincoln to raise the prices of imports and exports of cotton to Europe. The tarrif made the South so poor that slaveowners started freeing there slaves selling them to a rich planter for they can sell there plantation and move to the subarbs. When the tarrif was passed Several other states secedded after. All the Money would of came to Washington.

Battle of Fort Sumter:

The Battle of Fort Sumter when Confederates fired at the Union occupied fort in the Charleston Harbor. When Lincoln called out to the troops to get solders on the Fort, they fired, Southerners were sick of being highly taxed because of lincoln's tarrifs and fired to start themselves in a new nation. The South just wanted to leave in peace and weren't looking for war but he declared war on his rebelluios states and cost the lives of 6,000,000 Americans.

Well. I like your argument. Before I post my facts, I will go ahead and state that you admitted that the southern states were rebellious. Rebellious states must be dealt with before they cause problems.

Now, we can look at the fact that the south did in fact start the war. George Washington warned that the government must stay together in order to remain stable. The south deciding to secede went directly against what one of the founding fathers stated. By removing themselves, the south endangered both the Union and Confederates to attack, as they would be smaller and any attack would be more affective due to the decreased military. If the south had not seceded, the north would have had to reason to protect their interests.

The south deciding to secede went directly against what one of the founding fathers stated.

In our Consitution it says nothing about secession and it was legal. Secession was made illegal at the end of the war.

Lt.Harris forfeited this round.
Posted by samb97 2 years ago
"Lincoln's tyranny any the south. So getting elected is tyranny because that's all he had done by the time they started succeeding.
Posted by ZMowlcher 2 years ago
This is a bad debate.
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Lincoln called for the war!!! You have got to be kidding me!? Why is there a debate about this? Lincoln told the north that they need to attack the south and stop them from rebelling so the union would stay together.
Vote Placed by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is a tie because nobody swore, etc. Spelling and grammar is for Con because Pro did make a lot of spelling errors where as Con did not. As for most convincing arguments, I would of given it to Pro if I didn't re-read everything and discovered this, "The Battle of Fort Sumter when Confederates fired at the Union occupied fort in the Charleston Harbor." According to Pro's quote, the South fired first. Therefore, I am saying that in the context of this debate, the South started the war. As for most reliable sources, definitely giving that to Pro since he is the only one who cited anything. On a side note, I have no idea who historically did start the war.