Dishoungh
Polevaulter1

The Oculus Rift/Project Morphesus might fail.

Polevaulter1
Started: 3/22/2014 Category: Games

Dishoungh

Pro

In case you don't know, these 2 are virtual reality headsets. Basically, you put them on your head, you can see what's going on the screen, and you can see everything around you by moving your head. At least, that's what I've heard. Now, this sounds like a cool idea, but the Kinect was kind of a good idea. 3D TVs were kind of good ideas as well. I'm not saying that the failure is guaranteed. Probably, the O.R and P.M will succeed and it will be remembered as "revolutionary" to the gaming industry. I just don't think that the VR headset thing is not going to last too long in my opinion because here is what I think is going to happen.

#1. The headsets will be expensive and probably be overpriced.

Yeah, since this is like a new thing for gaming, they're probably going to charge an insane price for a thing that let's you see everything around you. I am sure that it will be expensive, but I'm skeptical about companies pricing it. I can't stop thinking about if they're going to overprice them.

#2. A small portion of games will probably work on it.

It was pretty much the same thing for Kinect. As a matter of fact, nothing really worked for the Kinect. Except probably a very small percentage of games. I have never seen a Kinect game that has gotten outstanding reviews. The best I've seen was a 7 I think. That's not too bad, but still, they should have been improved. Speaking of improved, the Xbox One Kinect isn't any better. It still doesn't register movements. Nobody likes the Kinect unless if you have a really clear, open space in your living room.

#3. It will have a hard time competing against regular HDTVs......mainly because people don't like change.

Let's face it, people love just playing regularly on their couch/chair, sitting down with a controller in their hand, and just playing. I like the idea of where they're going and it seems promising. I want the VR to be successful because I think it will take gaming to a whole new level. But, for some reason, people never accept change. They say they want something new, but they don't. A lot of people in the gaming industry are so nostalgic.

#4. Developers will probably require games for VR headsets.

This is an insignificant point, but something about it is making me think about it. I think that developers will probably make you use the VR headset for things that it's not needed for maybe. I don't know.
Polevaulter1

Con

I will define the word succeed first: achieve the desired aim or result.
Now what is the desired aim for virtual reality headsets?
To sell them and make money

The Virtual reality headsets will succeed for multiple reasons.

1. Gamers like myself have been waiting for this our whole lives.
This is proved in the O.R kick starter raising 2.5 million dollars from 9000 people. Which shows that a select few really want this to happen. Given most gamers don't have money to spend on projects like this. Which makes 9000 people a very large number

2. The Oculus Rift will not be overpriced
Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe hopes that the device will release for $300 (IGN). Which if that price point stands true, it will be 100 dollars less than the PS4 and 200 dollars less than the Xbox 1. Which in the gaming industry, 300 dollars is inexpensive.

3. Countering #2
The kinect and virtual reality headsets are very different things. Lets be reminded that the kinect came out when there already was motion controls with the wii. Developers did not like the kinect and basically threw it aside. This point is also shown in FRCs rebound rumble when the teams had a chance to use the kinect to give commands during a time where u could not control the robot. All of 1 team used it because the kinect is useless. Also the virtual reality headsets is a new way to game. A major stepping stone in the industry. Last time a major stepping stone happened was the wii. And we all know how much they sol of the wii. I say it will have just as big of a turnout.

4. countering #3
True, but its time for something a little different. Sure, some will think that, but most are excited for this change.

5. Countering #4
Of course there will be games like that, there always are for systems. But the bad games don't define a system, its the good games that do.

Through my points I have proved why virtual reality headsets will be successful.
Dishoungh

Pro

That's very nice to see that the Oculus Rift has beaten it's expectations from it's kickstarter. But, that doesn't stop it from flopping on release. This has happened before. For example, Titanfall was the big hype train everyone was excited for. It didn't completely flop, but people were disappointed in some aspects. I'm not saying it's guaranteed the same thing will happen for the Oculus Rift, but it's a possibility.

"Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe hopes that the device will release for $300 (IGN). Which if that price point stands true, it will be 100 dollars less than the PS4 and 200 dollars less than the Xbox 1. Which in the gaming industry, 300 dollars is inexpensive."

Actually, what's expensive or inexpensive is dependent on the consumer and his/her income. Primarily, it's opinion based. So, this argument and mine about price is kind of irrelevant. But, 300 to me is expensive and it's not worth it to pay almost as much as a PS4 to get a thing that lets you see what's around you even though you already have a TV that lets you see. Now, that argument is relevant.

Countering "Countering #2":
"The kinect and virtual reality headsets are very different things. Lets be reminded that the kinect came out when there already was motion controls with the wii. Developers did not like the kinect and basically threw it aside. This point is also shown in FRCs rebound rumble when the teams had a chance to use the kinect to give commands during a time where u could not control the robot. All of 1 team used it because the kinect is useless. Also the virtual reality headsets is a new way to game. A major stepping stone in the industry. Last time a major stepping stone happened was the wii. And we all know how much they sol of the wii. I say it will have just as big of a turnout."

Yeah, the Kinect and VR Headsets are different things. But, what's that to stop them from failing? 3D and Kinect are different things. Yet, they failed. I've seen the Oculus Rift in action and it looks cool. But, I don't think it worked that nicely because, first of all, both screens were the same. That's going to confuse your eyesight. Second of all, when the guy got close to an object, he said the screen looks funny. Depending on your eyesight, that doesn't sound too good. They might change it.

Countering "Countering 3"

It's dependent on who's "most" of the people who want change you claim to be or who are "some" who don't.

4.

Like I said, it's an insignificant point. So, I won't even try to defend that one.

Through your points, you're saying that it's a guaranteed chance that VR Headsets will be successful. I wouldn't bet on that. 9,000 does sound like a lot. But, it's not to the gaming industry in total. Let's do some math here.

According to Esrb.org, 67% of U.S households play video games. In 2010, there were about 114,800,000 households. So 67% of 114,800,000 households is 76,916,000. So, pretend if there was only one person in each household. There are about 76,916,000 gamers in the United States alone. Imagine that all over the world. How many countries are there? 196. 76,916,000 X 196 = 1.5075536e10. Now, let's divide 9,000 to that number. It equals about 6%. So, 6% is enough to make the VR headset thing successful? I know that my calculation is wrong. So, don't bring it up. I don't know how did the Oculus Rift make that much money from 9,000 people.

P.S: I still don't care about this topic and I'm not taking it seriously.
Polevaulter1

Con

What you said: This has happened before. For example, Titanfall was the big hype train everyone was excited for. It didn't completely flop, but people were disappointed in some aspects. I'm not saying it's guaranteed the same thing will happen for the Oculus Rift, but it's a possibility.

Counter: The difference between a game and a new technology is completely different. You have to keep in mind that games are known for their story and game play. While, game systems are judged on the new technology. Virtual Reality is a big stepping stone in the gaming Industry. Like I have said many gamers have looked forward to one day actually transport into a game, for example skyrim. the big thing is not just the headset its the virtual reality aspect of this. This is one piece to an even bigger picture. With the Omni treadmill: (http://www.virtuix.com...) we can transport ourselves in. Its not just the VR headset, its what we can now do with it.

Success in business is getting money, and at a low price point + new technology = even greater money that gamers will buy.

What you said: Actually, what's expensive or inexpensive is dependent on the consumer and his/her income. Primarily, it's opinion based. So, this argument and mine about price is kind of irrelevant. But, 300 to me is expensive and it's not worth it to pay almost as much as a PS4 to get a thing that lets you see what's around you even though you already have a TV that lets you see. Now, that argument is relevant.

Counter: its not just a screen, its that this will transport you into a new realm not just mentally but physically too. With the attachments it is actual virtual reality. Which is why so many gamers will buy it and why it will not flop.

The PS4 have sold 6 million consoles as of March 4th, this means that the budget for gamers is high, which will lead to a show in how well the system sells.

What you said: But, I don't think it worked that nicely because, first of all, both screens were the same. That's going to confuse your eyesight. Second of all, when the guy got close to an object, he said the screen looks funny. Depending on your eyesight, that doesn't sound too good. They might change it.

Counter: Yes they will change it, since it hasn't officially released yet it has bugs. them addressing these is a way the system will be greater on the official release.

What you said: According to Esrb.org, 67% of U.S households play video games. In 2010, there were about 114,800,000 households. So 67% of 114,800,000 households is 76,916,000. So, pretend if there was only one person in each household. There are about 76,916,000 gamers in the United States alone. Imagine that all over the world. How many countries are there? 196. 76,916,000 X 196 = 1.5075536e10. Now, let's divide 9,000 to that number. It equals about 6%. So, 6% is enough to make the VR headset thing successful? I know that my calculation is wrong. So, don't bring it up. I don't know how did the Oculus Rift make that much money from 9,000 people.

Counter: Before I truly counter I'm not at all sure what 6% stands for, is it 6% of the world population? I don't want to say anything I'm not sure of. So if you could elaborate more on that, it would be helpful. Thanks!

In conclusion its not just the headset, its the full realm of virtual reality. With the headset and the omni we can make virtual reality, well, a reality! Which is why many gamers will buy it and why it will not "flop."
Dishoungh

Pro

The main point I'm trying to get at is the Oculus Rift might not last that long.

The Oculus Rift is unnecessary for people like me. People like me already have a TV to see and they don't need it. Yeah, it's not just a screen like you say it is. But, look here. Oculus Rift is a Virtual Reality head mounted display right? Virtual Reality, like you said, is something to have you engaged physically right? That kind of thing only works for things like flight simulators, racing simulators, and some FPS shooters. Games like that. Games that have a First Person perspective camera. That's it. That's what it's going to possibly work on.

"The difference between a game and a new technology is completely different. You have to keep in mind that games are known for their story and game play. While, game systems are judged on the new technology. Virtual Reality is a big stepping stone in the gaming Industry. Like I have said many gamers have looked forward to one day actually transport into a game, for example skyrim. the big thing is not just the headset its the virtual reality aspect of this. This is one piece to an even bigger picture. With the Omni treadmill: (http://www.virtuix.com......) we can transport ourselves in. Its not just the VR headset, its what we can now do with it."

If you take it literally, yes, a new game and new technology are the same thing because games are technology. Games drive the gaming industry. Virtual Reality is a breed of fresh air for gamers. I know that. But, for how long? That's the question you have to ask. You can't just assume that it's going to be revolutionary just because it sounds cool. You have to ask how long will it last? Why should I care? What are the Pros and Cons? It seems that the Oculus Rift has a some cons even though it has some pros.

Con #1: Motion Sickness

Now, this doesn't affect everyone. But, people get sick by tense movement ,and it seems to me that a lot of people have some kind of sickness from tense motion. Even though they're not moving, they can probably still get sick. It's like a Placebo Effect. Some people have to play for a few minutes then stop. Then keep playing and stop.

Con #2: It won't work unless if you're playing a game that's purely built for it

This is going to be a huge problem in the future because this is going to be from the hands of the game developers. Not the people making the headsets themselves. Now, some developers will actually take advantage of the Oculus Rift and give you the 100% experience you want. But, here's what I think is going to happen. Some developers will probably purposely underuse the elements of the Oculus Rift and use that as a stratagem to get your money. The game has to be built from the ground up for the Oculus Rift. It has to be highly modified and that is going to take time. Companies who are money hungry like EA doesn't like the idea of taking time and spending money. AND, that also means, when you get it, you won't be able to enjoy the games you already have to play on the Oculus Rift. You have to wait and nobody likes waiting.

Con #3: Most shooters won't work that well

Games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or any game that has fast paced action (Yes, Battlefield has some fast paced moments like Call of Duty. Don't lie.) is not going to work. That goes back to the motion sickness I was talking about. The only First Person games that's going to work are slower paced games. Games that don't have you running around like a headless chicken. And, those games are boring. Really, do you want to play nothing but slow paced games when you spent 300 dollars on something to feel "immersed" into the gaming realm? I'm assuming not because nobody is going to do that unless you're super patient.

Con #4: Games need to have perfect specifications.

Games need to have 1080p resolution and needs to run at 60fps in order to get the full out of the Virtual Reality. It has been reported that if there's any kind of lag coming from the game, it's going to cause all sorts of problems. Again, motion sickness. It needs to be a very, very powerful system. It comes down to cost. The people who made the Oculus Rift has said they want to price it where everyone can afford it. Now, I can afford the Oculus Rift. I'm just not the gamer who wants it.

Con #5: The games that are purely for Oculus Rift seem to be PC games

Now, I don't know about this, but every game I saw in this list were primarily PC games. Go see the link. If you're not a PC gamer, you're probably not going to get the full experience maybe. I think that's what I'm getting at. Seriously, is there any game on this list that you are interested in besides Titanfall? Do you even know what the **** these games are? If you have a PC, maybe, you're going to be interested in these games. But, I don't have a PC. (Well, not yet) I have no clue of what these games are. Especially the ones they say that's already released. I haven't seen one game that has Oculus Rift support that's not on the PC from this particular list.

Con #6: It can potentially touch your eyes

For me, that's not even a point because I have glasses, but for people who don't, they can get their eyes poked. He said that it will happen rarely, but eh. I hate getting my eyes touched. IT SOUNDS WEIRD AND DISGUSTING MAN!

Con #7: Sweat

The guy said that if you wear it too long, you will sweat A LOT. Well, I sweat a lot anyway. So, that means I will sweat even more and that sweat will blur the lenses. You're probably going to have to take off the Oculus and clean your lenses on your Oculus Rift very frequently. I mean, some gamers who are excited for the Oculus Rift are extremely lazy people. I mean, this random guy in the comment section said that the use of the Oculus Rift is so you don't have to turn your head even though that's completely wrong. He said you can get super lazy with it and don't even have to move. So, I know that they will be too lazy to take it off and clean it.
The guy I'm talking about is in these 2 links:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

Wow, I'm less than 1,400 characters left to type. I never expected to type these many.

Con #8: Very small dirt particles

Since, the lenses zooms the picture in. The smallest dirt speck will become easily noticeable and it will be annoying because, again, you're going to be frequently cleaning your lenses on the Oculus. Probably once you're done, 5-8 minutes of cleaning your lenses, you still see tiny dirt specks. You're going to be asking, "how the **** are these dirt specks getting in my lenses?" It's going to be severely annoying.

"Before I truly counter I'm not at all sure what 6% stands for, is it 6% of the world population? I don't want to say anything I'm not sure of. So if you could elaborate more on that, it would be helpful. Thanks!"

That calculation stands for the gaming community. I know that number is probably not even close to the actual number. But, I do know that 9,000 is pretty small compared to the entire gaming base. I'll post another link.

My arguments may seem very biased and I'll just come down to this in an unbiased way.

The Oculus Rift is made for primarily for gaming. That's what the guy said who was part of the development team of the Oculus Rift. Whether you want the Oculus Rift or not is clearly depending on what kind of gamer you are and your personal preferences. I'm not going to force the ideal of VR Headsets is going to fail down your throats. It may sound like I am, but I'm not. The people that you say that wanted this for years will definitely enjoy the Oculus Rift because they want it so badly and it looks promising enough to have them enjoy it. But, someone like me, who is skeptical about Virtual Reality and thinks he/she doesn't really need it will not probably enjoy it. The Oculus Rift might fail for some gamers. It just depends what kind of gamer you are. I'll give the Oculus Rift this: IT LOOKS 20X BETTER THAN THE KINECT AND PS MOVE COMBINED! I'd rather pay for an Oculus Rift even though I don't feel like I need one than buy a Kinect or PlayStation Move. Now, those things are definitely pointless to buy. I do think that the Oculus Rift will last way longer than the Kinect. Actually, I think the Kinect/PS Move died the very second it was born. LOLOLOLOLOL! Anyway, I think that the Oculus Rift/Project Morphesus might die slowly. When I mean slowly, I mean it will probably be the big thing for a little while, and then it will die. I probably think the developers will ruin it. I don't know a direct reason as to why the Virtual Reality headset will fail. I just sense something is about to f**k up. I can just smell it. *Sniff*

I couldn't barely find any sources to support my arguments without using YouTube because most people don't even look at the cons. That's another thing, people don't look at the cons. They always look at the pros and only looking at the pros will always set you up for disappointment. I'll just post more links if I see any.

http://www.destructoid.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
http://www.esrb.org...
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
http://fextralife.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

YES! I made it. I have typed 10,000 characters. YES! I'm done, I'm going to rest, I'm going to eat some cake, and I'm going to BED!

PS: Again, I really still don't care about this debating topic right and now and I'm still not taking this debate seriously. Actually, I don't really take anything seriously to be honest.
Polevaulter1

Con

What my opponent said: The main point I'm trying to get at is the Oculus Rift might not last that long.
Counter: I have to argue that the Oculus rift will be successful. Successful in business terms is making money, which if it lasts for a good time and makes good money in that time then it is successful.

What my opponent said: Virtual Reality is a breed of fresh air for gamers. I know that. But, for how long? That's the question you have to ask. You can't just assume that it's going to be revolutionary just because it sounds cool. You have to ask how long will it last? Why should I care? What are the Pros and Cons? It seems that the Oculus Rift has a some cons even though it has some pros.
Counter: Are we debating how long it will last or if it might be successful? One instance is motion control gaming. It was a big hit for some time, but then flopped. But we still consider it successful. Therefore if it makes money but doesn't last that long it still is considered successful.

What my opponent said: Now, this doesn't affect everyone. But, people get sick by tense movement ,and it seems to me that a lot of people have some kind of sickness from tense motion. Even though they're not moving, they can probably still get sick. It's like a Placebo Effect. Some people have to play for a few minutes then stop. Then keep playing and stop.
Counter: Yes for some it may be an issue, but its just moving your head and looking and a screen. Most motion sickness is cause from your whole body moving, not just your head. So if it is just your head you most will not get motions sickness. Which means most will get the system. Making it successful.

What my opponent says: This is going to be a huge problem in the future because this is going to be from the hands of the game developers. Not the people making the headsets themselves. Now, some developers will actually take advantage of the Oculus Rift and give you the 100% experience you want. But, here's what I think is going to happen. Some developers will probably purposely underuse the elements of the Oculus Rift and use that as a stratagem to get your money. The game has to be built from the ground up for the Oculus Rift. It has to be highly modified and that is going to take time. Companies who are money hungry like EA doesn't like the idea of taking time and spending money. AND, that also means, when you get it, you won't be able to enjoy the games you already have to play on the Oculus Rift. You have to wait and nobody likes waiting.
Counter: Most game developers will probably take advantage of the oculus rift. But the few that don't, their games will not be successful, but the oculus rift will remain successful with the games made for it.

What you said: Games need to have 1080p resolution and needs to run at 60fps in order to get the full out of the Virtual Reality. It has been reported that if there's any kind of lag coming from the game, it's going to cause all sorts of problems. Again, motion sickness. It needs to be a very, very powerful system. It comes down to cost. The people who made the Oculus Rift has said they want to price it where everyone can afford it. Now, I can afford the Oculus Rift. I'm just not the gamer who wants it.
Counter: The key word there is IF. The key word in the development in the Oculus Rift is BETA. Beta means that the company will try to make the system better. Which will mean no/little lag. And one other thing is resolution doesn't matter, the fps matters. All the company ha to do is bring up the fps, which is very simple.

What you said: Now, I don't know about this, but every game I saw in this list were primarily PC games. Go see the link. If you're not a PC gamer, you're probably not going to get the full experience maybe. I think that's what I'm getting at. Seriously, is there any game on this list that you are interested in besides Titanfall? Do you even know what the **** these games are? If you have a PC, maybe, you're going to be interested in these games. But, I don't have a PC. (Well, not yet) I have no clue of what these games are. Especially the ones they say that's already released. I haven't seen one game that has Oculus Rift support that's not on the PC from this particular list.
Counter: All this is is your personal opinion not a testimony to if the system will be successful.

What you said: It can potentially touch your eyes
Counter: See the last counter because still personal preference

What you said: That calculation stands for the gaming community. I know that number is probably not even close to the actual number. But, I do know that 9,000 is pretty small compared to the entire gaming base. I'll post another link.
Counter: 9000 is a good number for a kick starter, most people at the time didn't know about it, which means 9000 is very good. Oh and I just need to say this once: ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you said: Developers will ruin it.
Counter: That may be true but this debate is if it is successful or not. Not if it will be good. I think it will be good and judging on the amount of people that have it, it will be successful at the official release.

It is true that this debate is very difficult because who knows if it will be successful before it official release. I made that statement so I could bring up a piece of evidence, it has been out for a while, but not officially. Here is a website with some critics reviews on it: http://www.engadget.com...
This website shows that the oculus rift is getting great reviews. if reviews are a estimate to success, well then the rift will be successful.
Dishoungh

Pro

" I have to argue that the Oculus rift will be successful. Successful in business terms is making money, which if it lasts for a good time and makes good money in that time then it is successful."

New things will sell obviously because it's a big thing. People are in their rooms looking at their screens looking like, "Oh my god, THAT'S SO COOL! I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!" It happens every time. Your terms of success in business is not the same as what success means to the consumers. Success in consumer terms is having your product the best it can be. Give it value. Make it convincing to the consumers that you won't mess it up. Give them a reason to keep spending money on a product. A logical reason is not because it's cool. It's not about just making money. You're thinking like the money hungry businesses I was talking. You're forgetting about the people who gave you that money - the consumers. The consumers are more important than the money you make because they're the ones giving it to you. DUH! If you were in a business, and you maintained this mindset of business, you will have a negative status in the business world. I may not know much about business, but I do have common sense to know that customers go first.

http://blog.kissmetrics.com...
http://www.forbes.com...

"Yes for some it may be an issue, but its just moving your head and looking and a screen. Most motion sickness is cause from your whole body moving, not just your head. So if it is just your head you most will not get motions sickness. Which means most will get the system. Making it successful."

They will get motion sickness because that's what has been REPORTED. Reported meaning someone who actually went in there to experience the Oculus Rift said, "Hey, I feel kind of sick." So, people will get sick and not get the most enjoyment out of the headset. But, now I've heard that the producers have made some improvements to the device to prevent the sickness reported.

"Most game developers will probably take advantage of the oculus rift. But the few that don't, their games will not be successful, but the oculus rift will remain successful with the games made for it."

There will be developers out there that will take advantage of the Oculus Rift. But, the people who won't will most likely be Activision and EA. You know them. They're good at advertising. You see their stupid ads in football games, posters, commercials, EVERYWHERE. They're going to underuse the Oculus Rift, over-advertise their junk, and scam people. Now, this won't be the their fault. The people who made this thing. But, Activision and EA just find ways to mess everything up. This won't be even a point if they don't even let the Oculus Rift fall into the hands of these 2 clowns.

"The key word there is IF. The key word in the development in the Oculus Rift is BETA. Beta means that the company will try to make the system better. Which will mean no/little lag. And one other thing is resolution doesn't matter, the fps matters. All the company ha to do is bring up the fps, which is very simple."

Actually, resolution does matter. You just said that Virtual Reality is for you to immerse yourself in a simulator. How can you be immersed, when you see nothing but blurred pixels? You want to play a game at 240p? If you want to feel immersed, you have to have a clear picture of what you're seeing. You're not going to feel immersed when you're looking at blurred pictures. You're saying all of this like it's a simple task. A little child can do it. NO IT'S FRICKIN' NOT! If it was simple, developers would complete games in under a year probably.

http://www.expressclr.com...

"All this is is your personal opinion not a testimony to if the system will be successful."

What does that have to do with the point of most of the Oculus Rift support games being only PC platforms? You just said that the Oculus Rift will be successful right? How can it be successful when it's focused primarily on PC? Let's do some more math. How many people play on consoles? It's said that 68% of U.S households have at least ONE console. 2010, there were 114,800,000 households. Again, let's pretend that there's one person in each household. 114,800,000 people. 68% of that number is 78,064,000. Let's just take the United States only into account. So, there are more than 78,064,000 people who play on console. Now let's see for PC. There must be 32% who play on PC right? 32% of 78,064,000 is 36,736,000. Yeah, 36,736,000 may sound a lot. But, there's another 78 million out there. Again, I know my calculation isn't right so don't bring it up. They're not going to be a huge success if they ditch a huge portion of the consumer base.

They said that the consoles are "too limited" for them. That means they have to water some stuff down for the consoles. Meaning the people on consoles will not get the 100% experience you wanted. This goes back to the con about specifications I was talking about. The Oculus Rift is a powerful device right. It's going to be very demanding. The PS4 and Xbox One will struggle to run the Oculus Rift support. So, they'll probably water some stuff down. That's a huge possibility right there. This also goes back to me talking about the Oculus Rift being PC oriented. I've heard about Sony and Microsoft making their own headsets. I don't think that's going to make much of a difference either. So, maybe, the headsets will fail on consoles. I guess that's where this is going. I guess that's where this is going to go. PC is going to get the luxury of full virtual reality entertainment.

http://www.theesa.com...
http://www.statisticbrain.com...

"9000 is a good number for a kick starter, most people at the time didn't know about it, which means 9000 is very good. Oh and I just need to say this once: ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

9,000 is good for a kickstarter. But, this isn't about the kickstarter. This is about what will happen at post-release. You know? The stage where people actually starts consuming this stuff. 9,000 isn't enough to make the Oculus Rift successful. Again, I don't know how did they raise millions just from 9,000 people. Did the people have to pay to see it? How much because something is off.

" That may be true but this debate is if it is successful or not. Not if it will be good. I think it will be good and judging on the amount of people that have it, it will be successful at the official release."

Yes, it is about if it will be good. That is what this debate is about. I INSTIGATED IT! I FORMED THIS DEBATE IN THE FIRST PLACE! YOU DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT! YOU UNDERSTAND? Now, if you're going to completely move away from the topic that I instigated and move into the topic that YOU want to instigate, then I already won this debate.

"It is true that this debate is very difficult because who knows if it will be successful before it official release. I made that statement so I could bring up a piece of evidence, it has been out for a while, but not officially. Here is a website with some critics reviews on it: http://www.engadget.com......
This website shows that the oculus rift is getting great reviews. if reviews are a estimate to success, well then the rift will be successful."

Okay, first of all, there's only 2 reviews in that website. I see one that's from the User's side. Okay, he sounds excited. I see that the screens need some work and has almost zero content. What does he mean by that? This is why I don't support the idea of letting customers review stuff. They don't go into full detail, but I'll take his into account this time. He says wait until the customer version comes out. We'll just see what the customer version is like. Now, I see this one guy who is in the reviewer side. His review was actually reasonable and I could understand that. Also, he shows some little cons in there. That is actually credible. But, everyone else's is just previews. You said it's been getting great reviews like there's thousands of people giving it 9's and 10's. You really did. All I see is 2 people. Previews can't count because, first of all, the O.R is in it's beta stage and it's not their "real" review. The "real" review is what counts.

So, the bottom line that I got from these reviews is the Customer version determines what will happen in the future.

Now, I've figured out the issue. You've misunderstood the title again. It's the title again. The title meant it will fail in terms of quality. I didn't mean it will fail in terms of sales and revenue. Of course, the Oculus Rift will sell. I'm talking about failing in terms of quality and maintaining it. I think it will come out, people will start seeing the issues, then people will hate it, then the Oculus Rift will die. I think that's the issue that's going on. You're talking about a different topic than I am.

http://blog.kissmetrics.com...
http://www.forbes.com...
http://www.theesa.com...
http://www.expressclr.com...
http://www.destructoid.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
http://fextralife.com...
http://www.esrb.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
http://www.ign.com...
http://arstechnica.com...
Polevaulter1

Con

Well I can't really debate this anymore since the topic has changed and I have put all my eggs in the why it will be uccessful like I was supposed to do. It is way to late to formulate a new argument so I will leave it like this.
The Oculus rift will succeed because of the overwhelming rave for it in the gaming community right now. Since my point has been why it will be successful instead of how long it will last I stood true to my side. While my opponent completly changed the subject. If it was how long the virtual reality headsets would last it would say: "The Virtual Reality headsets will not last that long." But it is: "The Oculus Rift/Projrct Morphesus might fail."
Final piece of evidence is that my opponent admitted that it will be successful: "Probably, the O.R and P.M will succeed and it will be remembered as "revolutionary" to the gaming industry."

I wish I wasn't this angry going into the final round but hey, you can't avoid these types of debates.
Dishoungh

Pro

"Well I can't really debate this anymore since the topic has changed and I have put all my eggs in the why it will be uccessful like I was supposed to do. It is way to late to formulate a new argument so I will leave it like this.

It's not too late to formulate a new argument. Good debaters debate all the way through no matter what. I mean, I don't want to be a good debater. I just came here to interact with people because I'm such a loner. But, I'm pretty offended by what you said. "I'm just very disappointed there are people like you in this website." That was very unnecessary. If you say you can't formulate a different debate argument. That technically means you forfeit because you failed to comply with participation. For that, I will still continue with my argument. OH WAIT! I DID SAY THAT IN THE BEGINNING! I DID!
"I just don't think that the VR headset thing is not going to last too long in my opinion because here is what I think is going to happen." That's what I EXACTLY said in ROUND ONE!. So, you were wrong. I said that at the very first argument. So, you were wrong. Don't just look at the title, look at my first statement too. Don't say bullsh*t like "How was I supposed to see that?" No, that's no excuse. There's proof right there and YOU CHANGED THE SUBJECT at first. So, YOU'RE THE BAD GUY HERE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry, I got so excited. Anyway, let me PROFESSIONALY formulate my last argument.

Okay, I can't find anymore relevant reasons on why it could fail, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ditch out like you're doing now.

Disclaimer: Again, I've said this like twice now, I'm not saying that failure is guaranteed. I said that in the very beginning as well. So, I'll begin my conclusive argument now.

"Final piece of evidence is that my opponent admitted that it will be successful: "Probably, the O.R and P.M will succeed and it will be remembered as "revolutionary" to the gaming industry."

Yes, I've admitted it will be successful. Successful BUSINESS WISE. I said that their were two versions of being successful - Business terms and Consumer terms. "Success in consumer terms is having your product the best it can be. Give it value. Make it convincing to the consumers that you won't mess it up. Give them a reason to keep spending money on a product." Pretty much everything sells and businesses get money. But, success isn't success to the consumer when it fails and messes up at its features. Plus, aren't you a consumer as well? We don't know if the Oculus Rift will f**k it up. They might f**k it up, they might not. Now, look here. The Kinect was SUCCESSFUL! Look at this link. This will blow your mind. Yes, THE KINECT WAS SUCCESSFUL! BUSINESS WISE like you said. But, IT FAILED in QUALITY! Everyone hated it. Nobody liked it and it turned out to be a piece of garbage. I'll copy and paste. Look at this junk:

"24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013. Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device". According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011. More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011." Can you believe that? IT ALSO GOT AWARDS! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! This is amazing. This is why you don't quit out in the end.

Awards
"The machine learning work on human motion capture within Kinect won the 2011 MacRobert Award for engineering innovation.
Kinect Won T3's "Gadget of the Year" award for 2011. It also won the "Gaming Gadget of the Year" prize.
'Microsoft Kinect for Windows Software Development Kit' was ranked second in "The 10 Most Innovative Tech Products of 2011" at Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards ceremony in New York City."

According to the research that I've gathered, things will be alright for the PC. Because I've seen all these tests and I keep seeing PCs. They said they have Console support, but, again, the games need to have good specifications. That means games need to run 1080p at 60fps. You said that it's simple, but it's not. Titanfall is locked at 60fps, but it doesn't have 1080p. You said that resolution doesn't matter which was the stupidest argument you've made. The Oculus Rift needs you to be immersed in a virtual world right? You want to feel immersed in a world of blurred pixels? Again, the screen will be zoomed meaning you will see the pixels a lot easier. That also means you will see some blur in 720p. I doubt that you want to get 50% of the effect in your machine that you paid 300 dollars for. The PS4 and Xbox One will struggle because it has to run the Oculus Rift which is a powerful machine. A machine that's 300 bucks right? So, that means it must have a lot of power. Now, you put a game that goes at 60fps and 1080p like Crysis with it too. That's like tasking a regular man to carry 200-300 pounds of weight. That's just single player. What about multiplayer? Multiplayer will be an even bigger issue because, first of all, the developers have to change the matchmaking to where people who have the Oculus Rift on will play with other people with the same thing. Second of all, the servers is not only tracking the body movement of player, but it's also tracking the head movement. Now, that's not going to be a problem if the developers have good servers. But, if you're playing something like Call of Duty, Battlefield 4, or game that have crappy servers, there will be problems. Lag, motion sickness (I don't know about the motion sickness. The motion sickness depends on who's playing.), all sorts of issues.

I don't even have to say anything else. That one link right there. That link right there is my argument. That's my proof, that's my counterstatement, that's my everything. Yep, go look at it. That proves to you that this has happened before. That proves to you that it's a possibility that it could sell, but turn out a piece of junk to the consumers. It just depends on what they do with the consumer version and what the console support is like. I mean, the PC might actually do just fine. My concern is the Console support.

You see? This is why you shouldn't dog out of a debate at the end.
Polevaulter1

Con

I did not change the argument first, I went along with the title. I don't care if I lose this debate was stacked before the debate started, with the topic changing and all. So yeah bye.
Posted by Polevaulter1 3 years ago
Polevaulter1
Woot, I won.
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
Plus, you spelled conduct wrong. Consuct? Really? How do you expect to win when you keep making spelling errors like that? I'm not insulting you, I'm giving you hints and suggestions. If you don't care if you win or not, WHY DID YOU COME?! Isn't that what you debate for? You're competing against someone of a different perspective of a topic than you to see who comes out with the better conduct? Who comes out with the best arguments? Etc. You provided no other nothing else in your statements besides "it will be successful." That's all you said. Sure, you kept stating it in different ways, but you provided nothing else. Let's look at reality here, lets pretend our debate was at the very front of everyone else's debate. Everyone can see it. Who do you think they're going to vote for? You, who provided short arguments with little sources used? Or, me, who used a lot of sources, provided long and logical arguments? Yeah, I was going a little crazy with my arguments, but I felt that needed to be there in debate. Put some life into your arguments. I'm not going to make my arguments so generic and boring.
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
Wow, now you insult me. You're the disgrace. You should be at least thankful I brought this debate up in the first place. To be honest, nobody is even going to vote because if you go to the overall debates, our debate is overlooked by others in the front page. Nobody is going to see our page unless if some guy started looking page after page for our debate or they went to the gaming slot and went to the 2nd page. That's where our debate is. So, leave your insults out the door because it's pointless.
Posted by Polevaulter1 3 years ago
Polevaulter1
Your consuct is a disgrace to the debate community
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
Now, that's what I'm talking about. You didn't have to be so rude about it.
Posted by Polevaulter1 3 years ago
Polevaulter1
I will not give up. I'm just very disappointed there are people like you in this website.
Posted by Polevaulter1 3 years ago
Polevaulter1
debate title: "The Oculus Rift/Project Morphesus might fail." I have had to take the position of it will succeed. Not how lng it will last, now in this debate i will completly change the topic and try to say I can do it. Im sorry its the title I tok my position you should stay true to yours
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
If you can't completely counter my statements which is the Oculus Rift failing in maintaining it's quality, then you lost. Again, I instigated this debate. So, you have to contend this debate the same way. You misunderstood the title. I told you what I meant already. There's no excuse. You're making excuses now. You're saying that you can't counter my statements. What does changing earlier have to do with what's going on now? You can't just ditch out at the end. That's pathetic and that's basically saying you're forfeiting. In round 4, I told you what I meant. Why are you complaining about the misconceptions and failing to comply with corrections now? Are you forfeiting? Because it sounds like you are.
Posted by Polevaulter1 3 years ago
Polevaulter1
I said it in round 1 you failed to correct me, while I moved on to further my discussion for my side, you then decide to change it in round 4. I would understand if it if you corrected in round 2 but you didn't. And I can't just quickly change my stance and counter in depth of why it is for the final rounds since I cannot bring up new issues in round 5. Next time put more detail into the subject.
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
You're trying to get yourself an easy win and dog out of the debate. You've never corrected me on it failing quality wise. What do you have to say about that? All you said was it's going to succeed business wise. What about quality wise to the consumers huh? I'm listening.
Vote Placed by 00r3d 3 years ago
00r3d
DishounghPolevaulter1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Im not bothering to read the whole debate, but conduct is obvious