harrytruman
AWSM0055

The Old Testament is not Outdated.

harrytruman

Pro

There is a trending notion that the Old Testament is outdated, this is obviously wrong, the god of the Old Testament is not a different god than that from the new testament,
here is my case:
Old Testament Verses:
Malachi 3:6:
"For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed."
Numbers 23:19:
"God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?"
Isaiah 40:8:
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."
New Testament Verses:
James 1:17:
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with who is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
Hebrews 13:8
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."
1st Corinthians 1:13:
"Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?"
AWSM0055

Con

here is my case:
Old Testament Verses:
Malachi 3:6:

God continually changes his mind on matters, and I'm pretty sure this is one of them. Here are a few examples of him changing his mind:

Exodus 32:14
"So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people."

Amos 7:3
"The LORD changed His mind about this. "It shall not be," said the LORD."

This are just a couple, but they are in direct contradiction to what you are saying. But I'm sure you can weasel your way out of it...somehow...

Numbers 23:19:

Same as above

Isaiah 40:8:

Same as above

New Testament Verses:
James 1:17:

Really? I guess that disproves the trinity then...because, you know, he doesn't vary...

Anyway, same as above.

Hebrews 13:8

Same as above

1st Corinthians 1:13:

Paul was talking in regards to the divisions within the church, not Christ himself. Regardless, same as above.

Furthermore, there are several versus in the Old Testament that support slavery[1], stoning[2], mass murder[3], genocide[4] etc etc etc., yet Jesus taught love and kindness...

But hey! All praise the loving and kind non-changing mind God! Heil Hitler! I mean God!

[1] Leviticus 15:44
[2] Deuteronomy 21:18
[3] Numbers 21: 2/ Deuteronmy 20:17 and 2:34
[4] Exodus 11 - 12
harrytruman

Pro

"God continually changes his mind on matters, and I'm pretty sure this is one of them. Here are a few examples of him changing his mind:

Exodus 32:14

God changed his mind because if he destroyed them, there would be no more Jews left! No one to eat Jew bread or Jewish cracker, or to worship Germanic gods, well god didn't like the last one, but how would the messiah come? Besides, this was all according to Moses, by no doubt god wanted to bring judgement, but this was not evil, it was that god couldn't destroy the Jews, he promised not to.

Amos 7:3

God changed his mind, not for any other reason than a different circumstance, that is, if he had finished, the Jews would go extinct! So he didn't really change his mind per say, he changed his direction, as was planned from the beginning.

Numbers 23:19:

Same as above

Isaiah 40:8:

Same as above

New Testament Verses:
James 1:17:

The bible does not once mention the trinity, this is a crack pot doctrine devised by catholic priests who were high on dope.

Anyway, same as above.

Hebrews 13:8

Same as above

1st Corinthians 1:13:

"Paul was talking in regards to the divisions within the church, not Christ himself. Regardless, same as above."

Paul was using the simply self evident fact that god is not divided against himself to proove that the church shoud not be divided, the point stands.

"Furthermore, there are several versus in the Old Testament that support slavery[1], stoning[2], mass murder[3], genocide[4] etc etc etc., yet Jesus taught love and kindness..."

Well first off, the bible never justified slavery, infact god smite Egypt for it, what the bible allows is indentured servitude, what this was was if you owed someone money, and you could not pay it back, you would work to pay, and you would have to work until either you payed off your debt, or until it was the year of Jew belly, then your debt was erased and you were free. Also, the master could not beat his servants or he would have to let he/she free!
Exodus 21:26:
"And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake."
Also, stoning was just the death penalty, there is no issue there, as long as, you know, he's guilty.

And as to mass genocide, they had to! They were killing babies my friend, when you're at that point, you kind of have to be killed off. Stupid America! you know what happens to people that kill babies!

[1] Leviticus 15:44
[2] Deuteronomy 21:18
[4] Exodus 11 - 12
AWSM0055

Con

"God changed his mind because if he destroyed them, there would be no more Jews left! No one to eat Jew bread or Jewish cracker, or to worship Germanic gods, well god didn't like the last one, but how would the messiah come? Besides, this was all according to Moses, by no doubt god wanted to bring judgement, but this was not evil, it was that god couldn't destroy the Jews, he promised not to."

I don't care, the fact remains that he changed his mind, which the rest of the bible says he doesn't, which is a contradiction.

"Amos 7:3

God changed his mind, not for any other reason than a different circumstance, that is, if he had finished, the Jews would go extinct! So he didn't really change his mind per say, he changed his direction, as was planned from the beginning."

Where does it say in the bible that he planned to change his mind from the beginning?

"The bible does not once mention the trinity, this is a crack pot doctrine devised by catholic priests who were high on dope."

Finally, a Christian who doesn't follow the absurd trinity doctrine!

"Well first off, the bible never justified slavery, infact god smite Egypt for it, what the bible allows is indentured servitude, what this was was if you owed someone money, and you could not pay it back, you would work to pay, and you would have to work until either you payed off your debt, or until it was the year of Jew belly, then your debt was erased and you were free. Also, the master could not beat his servants or he would have to let he/she free!
Exodus 21:26:

Oh, ok, so I can own slaves as long as I don't beat them? I can starve them, humiliate them etc but as long as I don't give them a black eye, I'm good?

"Also, stoning was just the death penalty, there is no issue there, as long as, you know, he's guilty."

I know, but it's such a gruesome and painful way of killing somebody. The only time you would die from stoning is when someone eventually decides to smash in your skull with a big rock which is just...wrong...

"And as to mass genocide, they had to! They were killing babies my friend, when you're at that point, you kind of have to be killed off. Stupid America! you know what happens to people that kill babies!""

But Jesus taught love and kindness! According to the bible, God didn't even give them a chance to repent before slaughtering them all! Especially considering the fact that they didn't even know better!

On the other hand, he allows his own kings like Manasseh (who should have known better) hundreds of chances to repent and even restored his kingship! What's with the double standards?
2 Chronicles 33

Anyway, I think we're getting slightly off track here. These are my arguments as to why the bible is outdated:

Your not allowed to wear clothing made of different types of material. Do you follow this law? No? Then it's outdated
Leviticus 19:19

Do you eat fish? If you do, your violating this totally-not-outdated-law
Leviticus 9:10

Etc

Anyway, that'll do for now.
harrytruman

Pro

"I don't care, the fact remains that he changed his mind, which the rest of the bible says he doesn't, which is a contradiction."

He didn't change his mind, he applied different judgement to a different circumstance.

"Where does it say in the bible that he planned to change his mind from the beginning?"

It doesn't directly say this, but everyone knows tat his intent was to punish the Jews, not to obliterate them.

"Finally, a Christian who doesn't follow the absurd trinity doctrine!"

I don't follow any doctrines, I just read the bible.

"Oh, ok, so I can own slaves as long as I don't beat them? I can starve them, humiliate them etc but as long as I don't give them a black eye, I'm good?"

It wasn't slavery, it was indentured servitude, you only wee a servant to pay back a debt, or until the year of jubilee, and starving them was not an issue, worst case scenario you could glean. There was always free food in Israel!

"I know, but it's such a gruesome and painful way of killing somebody. The only time you would die from stoning is when someone eventually decides to smash in your skull with a big rock which is just...wrong..."

hey, there wasn't much alternatives back then, what else would you use, a gun? Besides, just the threat of stoning would make people not want to be evil, so it worked out in the end.

"But Jesus taught love and kindness! According to the bible, God didn't even give them a chance to repent before slaughtering them all! Especially considering the fact that they didn't even know better!"

They knew not to kill babies, everyone does! If you ar asking me why he ordered for the babies to be kiled, i's called STD's, just look at the symptoms you will see why it was better to die.

"(AIDS) is cause by a virus called Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV). Cytomegalo virus (CMV) causes congenital infection, gross birth defects and infant mortality, cognitive impairment (e.g Mental retardation, 8th nerve deafness), heterophile-negative infectious mononucleosis, protean manifestation in the immuno suppressed host. Molluscum contagiosum virus (MCV) causes genital molluscum contagiosum infection. Human T-Iymphotropic virus Type I causes T-cell Leukemia/lymphoma, tropical spastic paraparesis. Escherichia coli (E. coli) infection is cause by a bacteria called Escherichia coli (E.coli). Klebsiella infection is cause by a bacteria called Klebsiella pneumonia. Enterobacter infection is cause by a bacteria called enterobacter aerogenes. Escherichia coli (E.coli), Klebsiella pneumonia and enterobacter aerogenes are called coliform bacteria. Ectoparasite like phthirus pubis cause pubic lice (pubic louse or crab louse) infection. Phthirus pubis lives in the hair of pubic region, axillae and other parts, but not on the head. Its bite causes irritation and discomfort. Another ectoparasites sarcoptes scabiei causes scabies (skin disease)"

https://www.modernghana.com...

"On the other hand, he allows his own kings like Manasseh (who should have known better) hundreds of chances to repent and even restored his kingship! What's with the double standards?
2 Chronicles 33"

Because god knew that he would come around eventually, the Bail worshipers, they would never repent.

"Anyway, I think we're getting slightly off track here. These are my arguments as to why the bible is outdated:

Leviticus 19:19"

"You must obey all my decrees. Do not mate two different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two different kinds of seeds. Do not wear clothing woven from two different kinds of thread."

Hey, mating two different kinds of animals is gross, why would you not plant two different types of seeds in your field, this was a rule against GM O's, which cause cancer by the way, (http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com...) and ob course the Jews would not understand it at the time, just like we do not understand two different kinds of fabric today.

"Do you eat fish? If you do, your violating this totally-not-outdated-law
Leviticus 9:10"
Leviticus 9:10 says:
Then he burned on the altar the fat, the kidneys, and the long lobe of the liver from the sin offering, just as the LORD had commanded Moses."

I do not see any "tho shalt not eat fish" in there, sure this is- gruesome, but it's not li the cow is alive, we do worse things t our cows.
AWSM0055

Con

"He didn't change his mind, he applied different judgement to a different circumstance."

You're just rewording it. The bible plainly states that he changed his mind. This is a direct contradiction. DIRECT.

And just to show how your rewording doesn't work, I'll use an analogy of two people talking about where to go to eat:

Person 1: What do you want to eat? And you can't change your mind!

Person 2: McDonalds

Person 1: OK

*Drives to McDonalds*

Person 2: Actually, I changed my mind

Person 1: What? I told you not to!

Person2: Well, I didn't REALLY change my mind. I simply applied a different judgment of what to eat because the circumstances are different.

Person 1: -_-

As you can see, what your stating is clearly a ridiculous attempt to dodge the direct contradiction, which I knew from the start you would do.

"It doesn't directly say this, but everyone knows tat his intent was to punish the Jews, not to obliterate them."

Argumentum Ad Populum. Maybe he did have the intent to obliterate them from the start! Are they still God's people now?

"It wasn't slavery, it was indentured servitude, you only wee a servant to pay back a debt, or until the year of jubilee, and starving them was not an issue, worst case scenario you could glean. There was always free food in Israel!"

Ok, I'll give credit where credit's due, and say your right. But still, it is outdated because no one does it anymore, and I doubt that it's legal.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter how nice it is, no one should be able to own another human being for any amount of time.

"hey, there wasn't much alternatives back then, what else would you use, a gun? Besides, just the threat of stoning would make people not want to be evil, so it worked out in the end."

Well, I got a few ideas:
*Hanging (to break the neck)
*Stabbing
*Cutting throat
*Poison
etc

Besides, your last statement is quite ironic considering...you know...how the Jews actually behaves from King David onwards.

Besides, again, your not really addressing how outdated they are. We don't stone anybody anymore.

"They knew not to kill babies, everyone does!

No they didn't. Their pompous religious leaders led them to do it because it would bring a good harvest and such. To them, killing a few babies for the sake of the whole city was tolerable.

"If you ar asking me why he ordered for the babies to be kiled, i's called STD's, just look at the symptoms you will see why it was better to die."

What, and the Jews didn't? So the cure to AIDS is "kill them all"? Really? God couldn't cure them like Jesus did and let them join his team or something?

"Because god knew that he would come around eventually, the Bail worshipers, they would never repent."

So you're saying that NONE of the nations surrounding the Jews could have repented, and God knew that? No one?

And besides, of course Manasseh would repent because he knew that was an option. He knew of the original Yehweh, but the other nations didn't. They were wiped clean off the slate without warning or anything.

"Hey, mating two different kinds of animals is gross..."

So mules are out of the question?

"...why would you not plant two different types of seeds in your field..."

I don't know, maybe I want just a crop of tomato's. But I maybe want a crop of both tomatoes and potatoes. According to the bible, I can't do that because tyranny.

"...this was a rule against GM O's, which cause cancer by the way, (http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com......)"

Dafuq? Do you know what a GMO is? Genetically modified organism. How could the Jews be able to do this back then? Why was that a threat?

Also, no, GMO's don't cause cancer and any educated person would know this.

"...and ob course the Jews would not understand it at the time, just like we do not understand two different kinds of fabric today."

And I can't understand you. What are you on about!?

"I do not see any "tho shalt not eat fish" in there, sure this is- gruesome, but it's not li the cow is alive, we do worse things t our cows."

Sorry, I typed in wrong scripture!

Here it is: Leviticus 11:10

I also must have misread the scripture, as it says that you can't eat fish without scales (like shark or such).

But I assume you eat pork, which is against Leviticus 11:7

Are you circumcised? Genesis 17:14

Do you work on Sunday's? Exodus 31:14 and 20:10

Do you shave? Leviticus 19:27

These are just a few of many absurd rule in Old Testament.
harrytruman

Pro

Person 2: McDonalds

Person 1: OK

*Drives to McDonalds*

Person 2: Actually, I changed my mind

Person 1: What? I told you not to!

Person 1: -_-

As you can see, what your stating is clearly a ridiculous attempt to dodge the direct contradiction, which I knew from the start you would do."

Actually amigo, it would be like this:

Person 2: McDonalds

Person 1: OK

*Drives to McDonalds*
(Giant meteor hurdles toward earth and turns McDonald into a crater)

Person 2: Maybe we should go to Jack in the crack?

Person 1: What? I told you not to!

Person2: Dude, Micky D's is a crater!
Person 1: Well, I guess we should eat dirt from the ground where McDonald used to be.

Person 2: you have fun with that
(Drives off)

Maybe he did have the intent to obliterate them from the start! Are they still God's people now?

Yes, they are.

"Ok, I'll give credit where credit's due, and say your right. But still, it is outdated because no one does it anymore, and I doubt that it's legal."

Well, it was, back in the day, it was called "debtors prison", either way, you owe money and you can't pay, you should have to work to pay it off.

"Furthermore, it doesn't matter how nice it is, no one should be able to own another human being for any amount of time."

They didn't "own" them, they just had to work to pay off a debt

"Well, I got a few ideas:
*Hanging (to break the neck)"
One that wasn't around until the Middle Ages, plus it isn't too much better.
"*Stabbing"
where?
*Cutting throat
sounds horrible
"*Poison"
what poison, Jimpson weed? Oh no, that's in America, hemlock, no, that's in Europe, in fact I don't know of any plants that grow natively to Canaan, let alone poisonous ones there sure is a lot of stones though.
etc

"Besides, your last statement is quite ironic considering...you know...how the Jews actually behaves from King David onwards."

"Besides, again, your not really addressing how outdated they are. We don't stone anybody anymore."

Maybe we should.

"No they didn't. Their pompous religious leaders led them to do it because it would bring a good harvest and such. To them, killing a few babies for the sake of the whole city was tolerable."

Hey, everyone knows not to kill babies to Bail!

"What, and the Jews didn't? So the cure to AIDS is "kill them all"? Really? God couldn't cure them like Jesus did and let them join his team or something?"
Yes it is!
God doesn't enforce his will on others, the people Jesus healed WANTED to be healed, those guys, they WANTED to get STD's, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

"So you're saying that NONE of the nations surrounding the Jews could have repented, and God knew that? No one?"
Well, they could've, but they didn't, god sent them warnings, like everyone else, but they didn't listen.

"And besides, of course Manasseh would repent because he knew that was an option. He knew of the original Yehweh, but the other nations didn't. They were wiped clean off the slate without warning or anything."

They got warning.

"So mules are out of the question?"
Yeah, and just lok, mules cannot breed with other mules! They're steril! Poor unick's!

"I don't know, maybe I want just a crop of tomato's. But I maybe want a crop of both tomatoes and potatoes. According to the bible, I can't do that because tyranny."

GMO's amigo!

"...this was a rule against GM O's, which cause cancer by the way, (http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com.........)"

Dafuq? Do you know what a GMO is? Genetically modified organism. How could the Jews be able to do this back then? Why was that a threat?"

It was a prophecy of GMO's and for Jews now todays to not eat them!

"Also, no, GMO's don't cause cancer and any educated person would know this."

Oh, I'm sorry cancerous tummors!

"And I can't understand you. What are you on about!?"

Te law against GMO's was not relevant then, but is today, the "no mixed cloth thing" will be releveant later.

"Sorry, I typed in wrong scripture!"

"Here it is: Leviticus 11:10

I also must have misread the scripture, as it says that you can't eat fish without scales (like shark or such)."

Obcourse, it is unhealthy.

"But I assume you eat pork, which is against Leviticus 11:7"

There is a very good reason for that amigo:
TRIGINOSIS, PIN WORMS, COLESTOROL, FAT, ugh, doesn't sound so good for you Amigo.

"Are you circumcised? Genesis 17:14"

Hey, that is my buisness, but yes.
"Do you work on Sunday's? Exodus 31:14 and 20:10"

Why would anyone work on sundays? What kind of nut case would pass off a day off? Besides, it was actualy saturday, oh yeah, and it says to "remember the sabbath and keep it holly"

"Do you shave? Leviticus 19:27"

it only says not to shave the little hairs near your ear, you know?

"These are just a few of many absurd rule in Old Testament."
no.
AWSM0055

Con

Something unexpected came up and I don't have time to write a rebuttal, so I'll have to forfeit this round.

Sorry.
harrytruman

Pro

That's ok, I forfeit too.
AWSM0055

Con

Ok, now that I have time, I'll write the rebuttal for 4.

"Actually amigo, it would be like this:

Person 2: McDonalds

Person 1: OK

*Drives to McDonalds*

Person 1: What? I told you not to!

Person2: Dude, Micky D's is a crater!

Person 2: you have fun with that
(Drives off)"

But God would have foreseen the meteor, would he not? Nonetheless, all you have done is given Person 2 a reason to change his mind. The fact remains that he changed his mind.

"Yes, they are."

So Judaism is still a viable religion?

"Well, it was, back in the day, it was called "debtors prison", either way, you owe money and you can't pay, you should have to work to pay it off."

Sure, but not as a slave.

"They didn't "own" them, they just had to work to pay off a debt"

No, they did "own" them. That's what a slave is. Leviticus 25:44 describes buying and selling slaves, which is what you do with property, aka, something you own. Verse 46 even specifically says "can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." Notice how it said "fellow Israelites"? Foreigners could be treated anyway their musters liked.

Anyway, not all of permitted slavery was simply to pay off a debt. And besides, paying off a debt via slavery was a choice. The bible also says that if a slave marries someone, he must remain a slave to stay with them (Exodus 21:2-5). This is just wrong, to stay a slave to be with someone you love?

Furthermore, Exodus 21:20 says: "Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

Notice the word "if". Beating your slave was fine unless he died of a result, which masters would rarely do anyway.

"Well, I got a few ideas:
*Hanging (to break the neck)"

No, it was around back then. The bible mentions plenty of times of people being hung from trees etc. Even Judas hung himself. If done properly, you would die instantly.

"*Stabbing"
where?
Heart, head. You would be dead within 30 seconds,

*Cutting throat
sounds horrible
So? So does all killing.

"*Poison"
etc
Ok then, disregard that one.

"Maybe we should."

Holy Sh...

"Hey, everyone knows not to kill babies to Bail!"

Now we do. They didn't.

"Yes it is!"

HOLY SHI...

"God doesn't enforce his will on others, the people Jesus healed WANTED to be healed, those guys, they WANTED to get STD's, otherwise they wouldn't have done it."

O_o People back then didn't even know about STD's. They didn't even know about germs and viruses. What your saying is entirely idiotic.

"Well, they could've, but they didn't, god sent them warnings, like everyone else, but they didn't listen."

No he didn't. In fact, the Gibeonites had to trick Joshua so they could live, and even they went into slavery after they were found out.

"They got warning."

No they didn't

"Yeah, and just lok, mules cannot breed with other mules! They're steril! Poor unick's!"

So? Mules are used for work, not breeding.

"GMO's amigo!"

You're a g*ddamn idiot

"It was a prophecy of GMO's and for Jews now todays to not eat them!"

You're a g*ddamn idiot

"Oh, I'm sorry cancerous tummors!"

You're still an g*ddman idiot. A tummor IS cancer.

"Te law against GMO's was not relevant then, but is today, the "no mixed cloth thing" will be releveant later."

How!? The idiocy is over 9000!!!

"Obcourse, it is unhealthy."

How?

"There is a very good reason for that amigo:
TRIGINOSIS, PIN WORMS, COLESTOROL, FAT, ugh, doesn't sound so good for you Amigo."

Stop calling me amigo or I'll do a full-frontal western shootout with you.

Besides, I've eaten pork and I've never had problems with any of these. Neither have most of the population (otherwise they'd be banned by the FDA...but I'm sure you would pull a conspiracy theory out of your *** to account for that).

"Hey, that is my buisness, but yes."

My full full sympathy is with you,

"Why would anyone work on sundays? What kind of nut case would pass off a day off? Besides, it was actualy saturday, oh yeah, and it says to "remember the sabbath and keep it holly""

I don't know, maybe something needs done on the one day you don't have usual work?

"it only says not to shave the little hairs near your ear, you know?"

SO WHAT?
Why is that a law?! Will I become medically abnormal if I shave my hairs near my ears? NOT. BLOODY. RELEVANT.

P.S. If you want, I'll do a GMO's debate with you.
Posted by AWSM0055 1 year ago
AWSM0055
Good. Do you want to challenge me or me challenge you?
Posted by harrytruman 1 year ago
harrytruman
I'll do that gmo debate.
Posted by gordonjames 1 year ago
gordonjames
I might offer to take the debate as CON.

My direction would be to say that it is a mistake to think that all of the OT laws, rules and traditions should apply today.

Partial reason would be that we are told in scripture to obey the laws of the land, and that too literal an application of OT rules would put us all in prison.