Danielle
beem0r

The Optimum Online Triple Play commercial is the most annoying currently played commercial on TV.

Danielle

Pro

Before I make a few points as to why the commercial (seen here: http://youtube.com... ) is definitely the most annoying one that is currently played on TV, I must first specify that I am referring to American television number one, and number two, I am generally speaking about commercials on 'basic TV' i.e. on broadcast stations such as ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.

Point 1: Although the jingle is quite catchy (who doesn't find themselves singing along to 877-393-4448?), a large part of why we know the telephone number so well is because this commercial is literally played every 5-10 minutes on quite a number of TV stations. The fact that this advertisement is played constantly only means that we'll all become annoyed with it sooner than we would if this commercial was played more sparsely.

Point 2A: The advertisement contains music from beginning to end, and the genre of choice (reggaeton) is not exceptionally popular in the United States. In fact, if you look up the most popular genres of music in the U.S., reggaeton consistently never appears in the top ten.

Point 2B: Due to its Hispanic roots and typically the use of the Spanish language, it is fair to say that many fans of reggaeton are of Hispanic descent. It is obvious that the marketing agenda of this commercial was aimed at certain minority groups, including Hispanics and other people of color. However, according to websites like racialicious.com (forums that discuss racism in today's pop culture), this commercial succeeds not only at targeting certain groups, but actually condescending and marginalizing certain demographics.

Point 3: This commercial is flat out cheesey from beginning to end. If the flashy (trashy) costumes and choreographed dancing mermaids weren't enough, the ugly pirate and random sea-monster in the bad costume just completely sends this disaster over the edge. And finally, let us not ignore the girls' coochie pop; it's definitely the icing on the cake.
beem0r

Con

First, I'd like to get this out of the way:
That commercial was awesome.

Of course, I realize that it might annoy me, too, if I saw it repeatedly. Of course, this is true for most commercials.

Regardless, I believe you have overlooked, or perhaps not seen, another commercial.
http://youtube.com...

Yes, it's HeadOn. I'm not sure if that exact commercial is still being played, but they do have other HeadOn commercials, as well as a few other products with similarly styled commercials. These commercials are still being played, however rarely.
They're not all that common, but they're a whole lot more annoying than some awesome reggae with pirates and a catchy tune.

Back to ye.
Danielle

Pro

HaHa -- is that Head On commercial real?! If so, I've never seen it... which brings me to my point that the Optimum Online commercial has much more exposure than the Head On commercial, and therefore has the capacity to 1) get stuck in your head more easily -- which tends to annoy most people, and 2) become annoying more quickly. This is also because of the most important aspect of my rebuttal: the Head On commercial only lasts for thirteen seconds while the Optimum Online commercial lasts for sixty two seconds. That's almost 5x the length of annoyingness that television viewers have to endure at each showing.

I would also like to remind you of the music content in the commercial, and how most people would find reggaeton music with corny lyrics about digital cable much more annoying than a short sentence being repeated three times in a row. Another reason why the music in this commercial is so annoying (it's hilarious too) is because the song being sung is not a 'real' song, but rather a song specifically created for the purpose of this advertisement. You have to see the commercial about a dozen times before you can finally sing along, and by that time you're so sick of the sing-song phone number (that you picked up after the first viewing) and weird sea monster (the fact that you can't tell for sure he's good looking or not is also annoying! hmph!) that you would rather change the channel entirely for the duration of the commercial rather than sing along with the TV.

Re-Cap:

1) You admitted that seeing a commercial repeatedly would make it annoying... and nobody can deny the amount of times this freakin commercial is shown!

2) I did specify that I was referring to currently running TV commercials; I don't believe that the Head On commercial is still playing

3) My point about reggaeton not being especially popular in the U.S...

4) My point about people not knowing most of the words to the song...

5) The trashy/flamboyant costumes and how it makes the commercial appear low-budget rather than flashy or appealing...

6) My point about the juvenile, choreographed mermaids...

7) My point referencing the dancers' ridiculous coochie pop...

8) This commercial is so much longer than Head On commercial and most other commercials in general

9) Many people feel that this advertisement is racist and perpetuates a stereotype about Hispanics and Hispanic-Americans

10) DID I MENTION THE SEA MONSTER?

Don't get me wrong -- this commercial is highly entertaining because of the fact that it absolutely sucks (was there a nicer way to put it?). But after awhile, it definitely gets pretty repetitive and definitely annoying. I personally love watching it and making fun of it; however, my personal point of view has nothing to do with the argument at hand. I think I've made good points about why many people find this commercial to be extremely annoying, even if I don't.
beem0r

Con

I suppose it depends on your area, since they play different commercials in different places. I, like kels in the comments section, have not seen the optimum online commercial played on TV.

Also, whereas the Optimum Triple Play commercial takes many times to get irritating, HeadOn is annoying from view 1.

Also, you spoke of the length of the commercial. I think this is a good thing, since it gives the commercial some variety.

While the Optimum song might be corny, it's somewhat entertaining and not all that bad sounding.

I guess I'll just respond to your numbered statements.

1> I'd hardly count annoyance of repetitiveness as making the commercial itself annoying. Even so, the commercial isn't played nationwide as often as it is for you locally. Neither myself nor kels in the comments section have seen the commercial. Also, according to kels, HeadOn is played multiple times per day some places. Now THAT would get annoying.

2> It is, just not as often (or maybe not at all) where you live. Optimum Triple Play isn't played where I live (NC), but it apparently is where you live.

3> Reggaeton isn't very popular in the US, but it isn't annoying. I obviously can't support this with evidence, but I assert that the music in the commercial isn't in itself annoying. Perhaps the phone number part is, but that's not much of the commercial, plus it's not all THAT annoying.

4> Irrelevant. I don't know most of the words to most commercials, this doesn't make them annoying.

5> Pirates, trashy? WHAT? How dare you speak ill of the chosen people. that just makes the commercial more awesome.

6> So the mermaids are lame. A few seconds in a minute long commercial isn't bad. At least it doesn't hurt my brain to watch them.

7> See #6. It's maybe not the coolest looking thing ever, but it's not actively annoying.

8> This is a good thing. The HeadOn commercial is like pure, concentrated annoyance. With the Optimum Triple Play commercial it's less annoyance AND it's spread out over the course of a minute.

9> Irrelevant, since that doesn't make it annoying.

10> After the pirates, the sea monster is the coolest thing in the commercial! I personally was disappointed at the small role he had in the commercial.

I guess I'll end on that. I'll make a final assertion that HeadOn is definitely more annoying than the Optimum Triple Play commercial, and is likely the most annoying commercial ever conceived.

Thanks for the debate!
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: fire_wings// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for removal*] Vote placed outside of what is considered to be reasonable expectations for proper voting conduct. Contact head moderator Airmax1227 for details.
************************************************************************
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
Right, but there's no way in absolute hell that it's the more annoying of the 2 commercials. All it said was "Head on, apply directly to forehead" 3x in a row. Big deal. That's the most annoying? Um, no. And lol @ JG Wentworth. I love that commercial. SUPER ANNOYING.
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
HeadOn was all over the place.
Posted by ASB 6 years ago
ASB
He pulled out the HEAD ON commercials!!!! WOW!!!!!!

I never knew why one would apply to the forehead.

Well a year ago i worked at safeway so i looked it up while walking down the isle...
there were about 5 different ones we sold at our store.... it looks like people not knowing y to apply it to the forehead drew more people to look for it.

Very amusing how pro has never heard a head on commercial... i guess in christmas island they only get comcast triple play commercials....
Posted by ASB 6 years ago
ASB
I remember a year ago watching the superbowl commercials and having to tune into one doritos commercial after another one. I felt like smashing my television two years ago when the Steelers were playing when they offered 3D glasses for certain commercials.... those were the most annoying commercials played back when this debate took place....

also those billy mays commercials were terrible... i never wanted to buy any of his merchandise and i was glad when he died for the shamwow guy is more tolerable.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Oh, mongeese, stop pretending that you've actually read my debates lol anyone with any sense of logical brain whatsoever will see how I won this debate. Then again you don't understand simple logic so never mind...
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
RFD:
Conduct - CON
Double-voting is a terrible practice.
Arguments - CON
The sea monster wasn't all that bad. beem0r wins with the mention of pure, concentrated annoyingness that manifests itself as a HeadOn commercial.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
I came by just to watch John's commercial again LOL
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
John - that commercial isn't annoying lol it's HILARIOUS.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
LoL - it showed up in my "news feed" (I'm not sure the proper term for it on debate.org) that someone commented on this debate... how or why it came up (so many months later) instead of it being long forgotten (as it should be lol) is beyond me. I agree that this is neither of our best performances, by far! This was my 1st one, and you're correct about my complete and utter lack of debate experience. I'm the Sarah Palin of debate.org I guess (though not as... out there. I don't think anyway!) :P
Vote Placed by Udel 1 year ago
Udel
Daniellebeem0rTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro points out the Optimum commercial is longer than the Head On commercial, plays music throghout the entire thing, is cheesy and comes across as low budget and low brow. Pro also pointed out the commercial maybe being racist, which Con did not respond to. Con did not explain why Head On or any other commercial was more annoying than the one Pro mentioned. Pro mentioned the annoying jingle getting stuck in your head. Con did not offer any substantial reason why the Head On commercial is worse and he glossed over Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
Daniellebeem0rTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded to some of pros points. Pro had better arguments
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Daniellebeem0rTied
Reasons for voting decision: danielle should win this, con barely gave much arguments and agreed to half of danielle's
Vote Placed by Hierocles 3 years ago
Hierocles
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by ASB 6 years ago
ASB
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Alchemistress 6 years ago
Alchemistress
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Railsguardian 7 years ago
Railsguardian
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Paris 7 years ago
Paris
Daniellebeem0rTied