Danielle
beem0r

The Optimum Online Triple Play commercial is the most annoying currently played commercial on TV.

Danielle

Pro

Before I make a few points as to why the commercial (seen here: http://youtube.com... ) is definitely the most annoying one that is currently played on TV, I must first specify that I am referring to American television number one, and number two, I am generally speaking about commercials on 'basic TV' i.e. on broadcast stations such as ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.

Point 1: Although the jingle is quite catchy (who doesn't find themselves singing along to 877-393-4448?), a large part of why we know the telephone number so well is because this commercial is literally played every 5-10 minutes on quite a number of TV stations. The fact that this advertisement is played constantly only means that we'll all become annoyed with it sooner than we would if this commercial was played more sparsely.

Point 2A: The advertisement contains music from beginning to end, and the genre of choice (reggaeton) is not exceptionally popular in the United States. In fact, if you look up the most popular genres of music in the U.S., reggaeton consistently never appears in the top ten.

Point 2B: Due to its Hispanic roots and typically the use of the Spanish language, it is fair to say that many fans of reggaeton are of Hispanic descent. It is obvious that the marketing agenda of this commercial was aimed at certain minority groups, including Hispanics and other people of color. However, according to websites like racialicious.com (forums that discuss racism in today's pop culture), this commercial succeeds not only at targeting certain groups, but actually condescending and marginalizing certain demographics.

Point 3: This commercial is flat out cheesey from beginning to end. If the flashy (trashy) costumes and choreographed dancing mermaids weren't enough, the ugly pirate and random sea-monster in the bad costume just completely sends this disaster over the edge. And finally, let us not ignore the girls' coochie pop; it's definitely the icing on the cake.
beem0r

Con

First, I'd like to get this out of the way:
That commercial was awesome.

Of course, I realize that it might annoy me, too, if I saw it repeatedly. Of course, this is true for most commercials.

Regardless, I believe you have overlooked, or perhaps not seen, another commercial.
http://youtube.com...

Yes, it's HeadOn. I'm not sure if that exact commercial is still being played, but they do have other HeadOn commercials, as well as a few other products with similarly styled commercials. These commercials are still being played, however rarely.
They're not all that common, but they're a whole lot more annoying than some awesome reggae with pirates and a catchy tune.

Back to ye.
Danielle

Pro

HaHa -- is that Head On commercial real?! If so, I've never seen it... which brings me to my point that the Optimum Online commercial has much more exposure than the Head On commercial, and therefore has the capacity to 1) get stuck in your head more easily -- which tends to annoy most people, and 2) become annoying more quickly. This is also because of the most important aspect of my rebuttal: the Head On commercial only lasts for thirteen seconds while the Optimum Online commercial lasts for sixty two seconds. That's almost 5x the length of annoyingness that television viewers have to endure at each showing.

I would also like to remind you of the music content in the commercial, and how most people would find reggaeton music with corny lyrics about digital cable much more annoying than a short sentence being repeated three times in a row. Another reason why the music in this commercial is so annoying (it's hilarious too) is because the song being sung is not a 'real' song, but rather a song specifically created for the purpose of this advertisement. You have to see the commercial about a dozen times before you can finally sing along, and by that time you're so sick of the sing-song phone number (that you picked up after the first viewing) and weird sea monster (the fact that you can't tell for sure he's good looking or not is also annoying! hmph!) that you would rather change the channel entirely for the duration of the commercial rather than sing along with the TV.

Re-Cap:

1) You admitted that seeing a commercial repeatedly would make it annoying... and nobody can deny the amount of times this freakin commercial is shown!

2) I did specify that I was referring to currently running TV commercials; I don't believe that the Head On commercial is still playing

3) My point about reggaeton not being especially popular in the U.S...

4) My point about people not knowing most of the words to the song...

5) The trashy/flamboyant costumes and how it makes the commercial appear low-budget rather than flashy or appealing...

6) My point about the juvenile, choreographed mermaids...

7) My point referencing the dancers' ridiculous coochie pop...

8) This commercial is so much longer than Head On commercial and most other commercials in general

9) Many people feel that this advertisement is racist and perpetuates a stereotype about Hispanics and Hispanic-Americans

10) DID I MENTION THE SEA MONSTER?

Don't get me wrong -- this commercial is highly entertaining because of the fact that it absolutely sucks (was there a nicer way to put it?). But after awhile, it definitely gets pretty repetitive and definitely annoying. I personally love watching it and making fun of it; however, my personal point of view has nothing to do with the argument at hand. I think I've made good points about why many people find this commercial to be extremely annoying, even if I don't.
beem0r

Con

I suppose it depends on your area, since they play different commercials in different places. I, like kels in the comments section, have not seen the optimum online commercial played on TV.

Also, whereas the Optimum Triple Play commercial takes many times to get irritating, HeadOn is annoying from view 1.

Also, you spoke of the length of the commercial. I think this is a good thing, since it gives the commercial some variety.

While the Optimum song might be corny, it's somewhat entertaining and not all that bad sounding.

I guess I'll just respond to your numbered statements.

1> I'd hardly count annoyance of repetitiveness as making the commercial itself annoying. Even so, the commercial isn't played nationwide as often as it is for you locally. Neither myself nor kels in the comments section have seen the commercial. Also, according to kels, HeadOn is played multiple times per day some places. Now THAT would get annoying.

2> It is, just not as often (or maybe not at all) where you live. Optimum Triple Play isn't played where I live (NC), but it apparently is where you live.

3> Reggaeton isn't very popular in the US, but it isn't annoying. I obviously can't support this with evidence, but I assert that the music in the commercial isn't in itself annoying. Perhaps the phone number part is, but that's not much of the commercial, plus it's not all THAT annoying.

4> Irrelevant. I don't know most of the words to most commercials, this doesn't make them annoying.

5> Pirates, trashy? WHAT? How dare you speak ill of the chosen people. that just makes the commercial more awesome.

6> So the mermaids are lame. A few seconds in a minute long commercial isn't bad. At least it doesn't hurt my brain to watch them.

7> See #6. It's maybe not the coolest looking thing ever, but it's not actively annoying.

8> This is a good thing. The HeadOn commercial is like pure, concentrated annoyance. With the Optimum Triple Play commercial it's less annoyance AND it's spread out over the course of a minute.

9> Irrelevant, since that doesn't make it annoying.

10> After the pirates, the sea monster is the coolest thing in the commercial! I personally was disappointed at the small role he had in the commercial.

I guess I'll end on that. I'll make a final assertion that HeadOn is definitely more annoying than the Optimum Triple Play commercial, and is likely the most annoying commercial ever conceived.

Thanks for the debate!
Posted by beem0r 5 years ago
beem0r
LWerd - you were winning/tied for a while, but then you got struck by a ridiculous storm of people voting you down. I remember seeing your win ratio fall DRASTICALLY. I think we both didn't really do that well in this debate, and you probably won. I was still not very good at debating at this point, seeing as I have no experience in debating outside of this site and petty arguments with friends. Same case for you, if I recall?

Also, good job responding to posts from 3 months ago ;]
Posted by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
Obviously none of you have seen this
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
beem0r --

Honestly, I care neither about my win ratio nor the content of this debate lol. The commercial is hardly ever played anymore anyway. Plus, it was my first time (you popped my debate cherry)! However, while you may not be able to 'prove' that something is more annoying, you can certainly debate it... And while I think you are an excellent debater, I also happen to know that debate-wise I have far provided the more convincing arguments in this particular challenge. It doesn't bother me that the votes don't/won't ever reflect it.
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
Optimum absolutely has the right to advertise any way they see fit (within legal parameters, of course) and the commercial really doesn't bother me all that much. It just happened to be my first debate on this site, and, guess what -- I can debate about anything I want! Again within certain parameters. Obviously my opponent wanted to debate this topic as well, or else he wouldn't have chosen to argue against it. The point is that people have the 'right' to debate just about anything (the ADVERTISEMENTS for debate.org even say so) and thus this topic is totally legit. Now if you'd like to have a debate about a more important issue that we disagree upon, go ahead and challenge me.
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
PRDiva,
You're over-usage of the word 'ignorant' has gotten rather trite and therefore lacks any real substance. Nice try though. However I'm not surprised that you got "offended" by my points, but perhaps if you stopped assuming that I was "attacking" Hispanics in any way, you would see that you are actually the one who is wrong.

It is not my opinion that Optimum was targeting a Hispanic audience with that commercial so calling me ignorant is the true ignorance here. Maybe you should do some research before attempting to put people in their place. For instance, the WALL STREET JOURNAL cites an article with the title "Ad Watch: When Sea Monsters Target Hispanic Consumers" in reference to the commercial (http://blogs.wsj.com...).

To get all uptight regarding my very valid reference is truly unnecessary. It is not a BAD thing that they were trying to target Hispanic audiences (they also made very clear in the commercial that you could call Puerto Rico and the like) because *EVERY* advertisement attempts to target a particular audience. So honestly, you're the one who's coming off as ignorant here. Sorry.

And by the way, I really don't care if you find other commercials on TV to be more annoying than the one in question. That's not what this debate was about, and it was here long before you were. This debate was about proving a point. Your opinion is totally irrelevant. In fact, whether or not the statement is true is also irrelevant. You're supposed to vote based on the better arguments, not your opinion, which I'm assuming you don't understand. Therefore "turning off the TV" or going to the bathroom is really... um... what? Tell me what that has to do with anything? Or don't. Whatevz.
Posted by PuertoRicanDiva 5 years ago
PuertoRicanDiva
First of the instigator is so wrong. How ignorant do you have to be to assume they are only targeting the Hispanic audience? The commercial is in English, which means they are targeting a wider range of customers. The music is catchy although I am not a fan of it. When reggeton is played at the clubs, the Hispanics are not the only ones dancing. Reggeton is liked by others that are not of Hispanic background. Optimum does have a commercial that is targeting the Hispanic audience on the SPANISH only channels with the reggeton music. Optimum has been broadcasting their services on the Spanish only channels for quite some time now for the few ignorant who didn't have a clue. I have seen the commercial on the Spanish channel before I saw it on the English only channels. Optimum found a way to get people's attention be it getting the service or not, we all know about Optimum services which was the point of the commercial in the first place. I personally have found other commercials to be more annoying than this one. If you don't like the commercial, change the channel, go to the bathroom, or turn down the volume. Optimum like any other company has the right to broadcast their services any way they can so that people can either buy or use their services even if it is annoying to some of us. To be debating about something as unimportant as this is a big waste of time. I am sure there are far better topics to be debating about.
Posted by beem0r 5 years ago
beem0r
You can't "Prove" that something is more annoying.

I gave reasons, and responded to all my opponenent's reasons.

My opponenet even accepted that it was annoying, as would you if you watched it. The video makes that point for itself.
Posted by GenEd 5 years ago
GenEd
You cannot win a debate simply by naming another commercial that is more annoying (Head On) than the one in question (Optimum Online). You have to prove why Head On is more annoying, which beem0r didn't do.
Posted by Mangani 6 years ago
Mangani
WTF are you on FBJames??? All my votes are legitimate and based on the arguments. If you want to be a little crybaby and vote against me for some uneducated reason, fine, but you are not understanding what is going on here. I voted on this debate based solely on the arguments- comprimise your own integrity, mine remains in tact.
Posted by FBJames 6 years ago
FBJames
Mangani you are an idiot and I hope everyone does the same to you and votes against you in all of your debates. If you say you "don't care" then obviously you are lying since you made it a point to vote against other debaters in all of their debates.
Vote Placed by Hierocles 2 months ago
Hierocles
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 1 year ago
Wallstreetatheist
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by ASB 3 years ago
ASB
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Alchemistress 3 years ago
Alchemistress
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Railsguardian 3 years ago
Railsguardian
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 4 years ago
philosphical
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Paris 4 years ago
Paris
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Awed 4 years ago
Awed
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by deadguyon2streets 4 years ago
deadguyon2streets
Daniellebeem0rTied
Vote Placed by kaylitsa 4 years ago
kaylitsa
Daniellebeem0rTied