The Oscars should create a category called 'Best Blockbuster'

Started: 3/12/2015 Category: Movies

If you are reading this, chances are that the Oscars took place about a few days ago now. Those who watched the Oscars probably noticed that there was an overwhelming LACK of awards nominations for movies that were considered 'Blockbusters', much like EVERY year, with 'American Sniper' alone grossing more in the box office than all other 'Best Picture' nominee's combined, yet American Sniper at $500 Million in income doesn't even crack the top 10 of the highest grossing films of 2014.

I will argue that the Academy Awards should create a 'Best Blockbuster' category in order to give some greater acclimation towards movies that are considered to be 'Blockbusters' A 'Blockbuster' film in this case will be defined as any movie that had a very large production cost, yet brought in an even larger amount in ticket sales. For the sake of the debate, I will go ahead and establish just two criteria for a film to be nominated for 'Best Blockbuster' as a rudimentary means for what a 'Best Blockbuster' competition would look like.

1 - The movie must be in the top 10 grossing movies of 2014 prior to the Oscar nominations event (which usually takes place in late January)
2 - The movie must hold a rating of 70% or higher among BOTH critics AND fans via Rotten Tomatoes.

Using these two criteria, the nominees for Best Blockbuster in 2014 according to the artificial criteria I made up would be the following movies:

1 - Guardians of the Galaxy (3rd highest grossing, 91% and 95% approval from critics and fans)

2 - Xmen Days of Future Past (6th highest grossing, 91% and 92% approval from critics and fans)

3 - Captain America Winter Soldier (7th highest grossing, 89% and 92% approval from critics and fans)

4 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (9th highest grossing, 90% and 89% approval from critics and fans)

5 - Interstellar (10th highest grossing, 72% and 86% approval from critics and fans)

If you accept the debate, I implore you to please NOT argue against the selection process that I made for nominations of 'Best Blockbuster'. If you want to argue about how the possible flaw for the selection of movies for 'Best Blockbuster' as an argument against the category, you are allowed to do that. I'm just emphasizing that the criteria I made were used just to generate an overall idea of what a 'Best Blockbuster' competition would look like.

- I am arguing in favor of a 'Best Blockbuster' category at the Oscars
- Con is arguing against a 'Best Blockbuster' category at the Oscars

- First round is acceptance only.
- Debate is now open to anyone
- 4 rounds, full 10,000 characters.

Well, this is actually quite an interesting and unique topic and I'm grateful to you for proposing it. I accept your definitions and
since this round is for acceptance only, I shall save my opening arguments for my next post and ask Pro to kindly open the batting.

Alright reasons why the Oscars should have a 'Best Blockbuster' category:

1) A 'Best Blockbuster' category would lure in a bigger audience for the awards show.

The Oscars have consistently been trying to lure in a bigger audience over the past few ceremonies, as evidenced by the hosts they have chosen to host the Oscars themselves. The last five hosts of the Oscars have been Seth MacFarlane, James Franco, Ellen Degeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, and Billy Crystal, who only ended up with the job because Megan Fox, the person who the Academy wanted to host the show, passed on the opportunity.

That's one gay male (NPH), one gay female (Ellen), one guy who regularly tries to push the envelope in comedy (MacFarlane), and one man who actually wished he WERE gay (Franco)

In addition to more diverse hosts, the Oscars are also trying to lure in more viewers by expanding the number of nominees that can contend for Best Picture. in 2009, the Oscars decided to expand the max list of Best Picture nominees from 5 up to 10 in an attempt to "invite more commercially successful titles to the party, and perhaps increasing viewership of the televised ceremony"

You can even see in the link that the reason that pushed the Oscars to change the rules was literally because critically acclaimed blockbusters like The Dark Knight and WALL-E were left off ballot, triggering widespread outrage.

It's very clear that the Oscars have been trying to reach out to a larger audience to tune in to the awards show when it comes around once a year, and adding a 'Best Blockbuster' category would substantially increase interest in the Oscars since more people have seen blockbusters than the films that usually get nominated for Best Picture, which is actually my next argument.

2) A majority people don't watch the films that end up nominated for Best Picture.

In 2015 when the most recent Oscar ceremony took place, a poll revealed that 66% of people didn't see a SINGLE ONE of the films nominated for Best Picture, with American Sniper being the film that people saw the most, at just 18%

Furthermore, even people within the Academy itself haven't seen all the movies nominated for Best Picture!

The Oscars quite simply has an appeal problem, where the films that are supposedly the 'Best Picture of the year' don't even gain enough interest from people to go out and actually see the movies. Adding a 'Best Blockbuster' category would not only would bring in more viewers for the Oscars themselves, but they would also be movies that people have actually seen, which is a huge problem that the 'Best Picture' category has struggled with for years now.

3) The Oscars have become anti-blockbuster in 'Best Picture' nominations

List of huge blockbusters that were watched by millions, were critically acclaimed, yet weren't even NOMINATED for Best Picture:

- Every Hunger Games movie
- Every Iron Man movie
- Every Marvel movie (Iron Man, Avengers, etc)
- Every Batman movie of the Christopher Nolan trilogy
- Every Hobbit movie
- Every Toy Story movie
- Frozen, Tangled, How to Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me

The Oscars have routinely shut out wildly successful movies out of even being NOMINATED for Best Picture. And whats worse, even those blockbusters that DO get nominated as Best Picture, such as Gravity or Avatar, lose anyways to other movies that made a fraction of what those blockbusters made, even though they were not even more critically acclaimed. Making a 'Best Blockbuster' category would finally offer some reward and top-tier recognition to movies that are blockbusters that historically usually walk away from the Oscars completely empty-handed.

4) This has sort of happened before.

In the past, Animated movies, like blockbusters, didnt have their own category in the Oscars either, and they had to compete with all the other movies for Best Picture themselves to get any recognition. But in 2001 though, animated movies were granted their own category, 'Best Animated Feature', that offered animated movies the opportunity to win some Oscar glory for themselves without having to fight through all the other films to get it. Films like Big Hero 6, Tangled, Brave, Frozen and Toy Story 3 now were able to rightfully secure some recognition for their achievements in film, without being drowned in the usual lackluster competition for Best Picture.

This same thing can be done for Blockbuster films, where they could get their own rightful recognition for their quality rather then be shut out time and time again.

5) A best blockbuster would drive studios to make better blockbuster films.

Movie studios have recently devoted more and more effort and resources into making blockbuster films, simply because the technology and the amount of money that can be made off of them has developed so much that one killer blockbuster could provide enough financing for a dozen smaller films. This increased devotion to making blockbuster films though has caused some studios to make blockbusters that critically speaking, are pretty sh*tty....

The Transformers franchise, the Fast+Furious franchise, and the Twilight franchise for examples are all blockbuster type franchises that while they have made millions, are actually pretty sh*tty, and have only ever earned mixed reviews from movie critics. With money currently being the only thing to gain for blockbusters right now, there is very little incentive for studios to make critically acclaimed blockbusters apart from the desires of the studios themselves.

A 'Best Blockbuster' category though would be the ULTIMATE bragging rights for a blockbuster film to hold over other blockbuster films, which would provide a tremendous incentive for movie studios to release blockbuster films that are made to be more critically acclaimed rather then just make the most amount of money possible.

So to summarize why they Oscars should have a 'Best Blockbuster' category:

1 - Lure in more of an audience for the Oscars themselves
2 - Many people dont watch a majority of the movies that get nominated for Oscars
3 - Blockbusters usually get shut out of the Oscars, this will give them justice
4 - This was an issue with animated films and when they got their own category the problem was fixed
5 - Incentivizes studios to make better blockbuster films

boss1592 forfeited this round.

You penis....

I am very sorry for my forfeiture, I simply forgot about the debate, I had things happening irl but I make no excuses and I apologise. Please vote pro

Sh*t happens :P

Indeed it does. Again, my apologies
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
Bringing this back so now the debate is open to everyone
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
Okay Phantom is currently the front-runner
Posted by phantom 1 year ago
I'd like to accept, in a week or two, but only if there's an Elo voting limit of 2500.
Posted by UnderdogRising 1 year ago
I'm actually willing. But because of age and/or rank I cannot accept.
Posted by debate_power 1 year ago
My mom says Birdman sucked
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
I agree with you bro, and am highly curious to see what other arguments could be made for the Con-side.
Posted by imabench 1 year ago

Dont tell anyone but I plan to use the ratings thing as part of my argument for why there should be a Best Blockbuster category
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
Yeah, you are correct on that.
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
The thing is though that they really are better then just 'half decent'..... Birdman, which won Best Picture, got Rotten Tomato ratings of 93% and 83% from Critics and Fans respectively..... Those ratings are actually INFERIOR to the ratings of 4 of the 5 Blockbuster movies that my criteria selected for 'Best Blockbuster' in this very debate
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
True, they are half-decent, but they are only half-decent.
Vote Placed by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit but even if Con didn't forfeit Pro would've won.
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 1 year ago