mike374040
jp1999

The PS3 is better than the Xbox 360.

mike374040

mike374040

Pro

The PS3 is better than the Xbox 360 for multiple reasons.

First of all, to access multiplayer on the PS3, you do not have to pay any extra charges. On the Xbox 360 however, multiplayer, more commonly known as "Xbox Live", is $50 to $60 dollars a year. Before you bring up things like, "Oh, the Xbox has better matchmaking," I would like to point out that $60 a year for "better matchmaking" is absurd. The PS3 has perfectly fine matchmaking and it's multiplayer is free.

Secondly, PS3 has blu-ray discs, while the Xbox 360 is not compatible with these. Hence, the PS3 has better graphics.

Thirdly, lets take a look at the controllers. The PS3 runs on fully rechargeable, wireless, Sixaxis controllers, while the Xbox 360 has controllers which take a lot more effort to charge, and the Xbox 360's controllers has easily jammable buttons.

Next, the games. PS3 has hundreds of original titles, only available for the PS3, which are far better than some of the popular games for both consoles out there. This does not mean that the popular games are bad, but instead shows that the PS3 exclusive games are good. Xbox 360 has FAR fewer original titles than the PS3, which is another reason why the PS3 is superior.

Lastly, before you bring up any of the 2010 PSN hacking scandal, I want to bring these points to you.
1. The PS3 was not an intended target because of their security. Everyone is talking about how the PS3 security was "at fault" and that the PS3's security "sucks". This is untrue. It is because the group of hackers were professionals. They could of hacked the Xbox 360's network if they wanted too, but they chose a target at random, and chose the PS3's, which is known as PlayStation Network.
2. The PS3's security has improved over the years. Many attempts to hack PlayStation Network has failed, due to the vast improvement in security.
3. A network outage like what happened two years ago will never happen again. These outages are prone to happen once in a consoles lifetime, and it happened here, with the PS3. This cause a vast improvement in security, as I have stated above, and ensures that these things will never happen again.
jp1999

Con

Firstly I would like to thank Mike for allowing me to join this debate, which I feel, has a lot of value. And I am thoroughly looking forward to this debate. Before I post my arguments against the resolution, I wish to focus on three of Mike's points to begin with a rebuttal.

Rebuttal #1
"Thirdly, lets take a look at the controllers. The PS3 runs on fully rechargeable, wireless, Sixaxis controllers, while the Xbox 360 has controllers which take a lot more effort to charge, and the Xbox 360's controllers has easily jammable buttons"

Unfortunately, that is wrong. I have owned both an XBox and a PS3 during my life and I have to say, the PS3 controllers were not as good. A PS3 Controller (when recharging) can use a wire which runs from the back of the console to the controller, which is exactly the same for XBox. I have found no difference in ease of charging between the two. You also say the PS3 controllers are wireless, so just to let you and the audience know, so are the XBox ones! Lets move on to the jamming of buttons. I have been gaming since I was 10 and have seen quite a few changes to the console scene, especially within controllers, so I know what I am talking about here. PS3 buttons are closer to the surface of the controller compared to the XBox ones by a few millimeters. This means when pressing them down, you have 'millimeters' more of a chance to get them wedged in there. As for the control sticks, the gyro-balls or ball bearings within the control stick are tighter in the PS3 controller, once again causing them to be less easy to maneuver, and not to say more of a chance of sticking.

To point out to you, the difference between the life of my two controllers from their respective consoles. I spent about nine to ten hours a week using them and this is how long they lasted.
  • Year One:
    • XBox Controller perfect condition
    • PS3 Controller becoming a little old
  • Year Two:
    • XBox Controller becoming a little old
    • PS3 Controller buttons becoming a little slow to pop back up
  • Year Three:
    • XBox Controller still OK, old, but still working.
    • PS3 Controller pretty much unusable
Rebuttal #2

Just to point out, the hacking scandal lasted a month, and involved the personal details of the 77million users being stolen. Only a week after Sony realised the security had been breached, did they alert the 77million users that their details had been stolen. This has never happened to XBox LIVE.

I will argue each of your three points above now;

1) The reason why you pay a lot of money a year for LIVE is to help Microsoft pay for the security systems. This security IS different to the one PSN uses, as LIVE is encrypted whereas PSN was simply coded.
2) & 3) Unfortunately, this still doesn't mean that the scandal can be overlooked. It was one of Sony's lowest moments, which I doubt will ever be forgotten.

Rebuttal #3

Actually, no. Have a look at this source, I do not need to explain. Scroll down towards the Game Selection section, and read away my friends!
http://www.hardcoreware.net...

I now move on to my arguments.

Case #1
XBox Kinect is something that has revolutionized gaming, by the fact that you do not need a controller to play the game, YOU are the controller! You may say that PS3 has got something similar out, but you still need a controller for it. For PS3, you have to hold a remote sensor in your hand, Nintendo Wii style. But in Kinect you need nothing, just you and a sensor bar! Playstation move console costs around thirty to thirty-five pounds, whereas Kinect costs around twenty to thirty pounds, just to let you know about the price difference.

Case #2
Graphics. This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. Why? Because Xenos simply has more power – higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture. If you look at multiplatform games and contrast the graphics on the two consoles, XBOX 360 almost always leads. Whether they use a higher resolution or higher quality antialiasing, games often look better and/or play smoother on the 360.

I think I cited a source, but just in case: http://www.hardcoreware.net...;

That is all from me, thank you all for reading, and I bid you farewell until next round.

mike374040

Pro

Before I get in onto any of the details, I would like to point out one thing to my opponent.

Take a look at this website. http://www.hardcoreware.net...

When was this article published? Thats right. 2007. What year is it right now? Thats right. 2013. How outdated is that article? SIX YEARS. Look at up to date articles on this topic, before handing me with all this outdated info.

Now, I will move on to my rebuttals.

Rebuttal 1:

Lets take a look at what you said before. You said that Xbox controllers last longer than PS3 controllers, which is completely false. I have had a PS3 since 2007. I only have had two controllers - EVER, and they work PERFECTLY fine with NO JAMS at all. No whatever you said about this topic is now null. And I am pretty sure, you have to buy the Xbox controller charger.

Rebuttal 2:

I previously stated this is my argument.

"The PS3 was not an intended target because of their security. Everyone is talking about how the PS3 security was "at fault" and that the PS3's security "sucks". This is untrue. It is because the group of hackers were professionals. They could of hacked the Xbox 360's network if they wanted too, but they chose a target at random, and chose the PS3's, which is known as PlayStation Network."

This is your rebuttal.

"Just to point out, the hacking scandal lasted a month, and involved the personal details of the 77million users being stolen. Only a week after Sony realised the security had been breached, did they alert the 77million users that their details had been stolen. This has never happened to XBox LIVE."

Let me clarify a few things. SONY REALISED THEIR SECURITY WAS BREACHED ON THE FIRST DAY. And this is why they worked 24/7 to try and STOP them.

Secondly, you state this. "This has never happened to XBox LIVE", after I ALREADY stated this: "They could of hacked the Xbox 360's network if they wanted too, but they chose a target at random, and chose the PS3's, which is known as PlayStation Network." This makes your argument completely null and void.

Now I will talk about your arguments.

"The reason why you pay a lot of money a year for LIVE is to help Microsoft pay for the security systems. This security IS different to the one PSN uses, as LIVE is encrypted whereas PSN was simply coded."

Let me point something out to you.

Now I will talk about your arguments.

Let me point something out to you

Now I will talk about your arguments.

Let me point something out to you. "LIVE is encrypted whereas PSN was simply coded." This is completely false, and I would like to ask you where you got this information.

Secondly, you say this. "Unfortunately, this still doesn't mean that the scandal can be overlooked. It was one of Sony's lowest moments, which I doubt will ever be forgotten." This breach happened a few yearss ago. Since then, nothing like this has ever happened, and PSN's security is actually STRONGER than Xbox LIVE's.

Rebuttal 3:

"Playstation move console costs around thirty to thirty-five pounds, whereas Kinect costs around twenty to thirty pounds, just to let you know about the price difference."

Take a look at these websites. http://www.amazon.com... this http://www.amazon.com...;

Look at the price difference. See how Playstation move is actually CHEAPER than Kinect?

And you also stated this, "You may say that PS3 has got something similar out, but you still need a controller for it. For PS3, you have to hold a remote sensor in your hand, Nintendo Wii style. But in Kinect you need nothing, just you and a sensor bar!"

Let me tell you something. Half the games on Playstation move do not require you to hold the controller. When you buy the console, it comes with a strap, and you strap the controller to your body. Also, I would like to point out the Kinect is a lot harder to control and actually play games, considering "You are the controller". It is a lot easier with the PS3, where there is actually a controller. And PlayStation Move games are much more interesting and easier to use the Kinect games.

Rebuttal 4:

Graphics. Please point out to me where you saw that the Xenox GPU is superiour to RSX?

Another thing, which I would like to point out to you. The PlayStation 4 is coming out, and I you watched the Sony conference at https://us.playstation.com... then you will realize that ithe PlayStation graphics and specs are superiour to the Xbox's, and that until the Xbox 720 comes out, there is nothing other to compete with Sony.

That is my argument, and I look forward to the next round.
jp1999

Con

A Brief Note:
Hi guys, just a brief note. I have been really, really ill recently and I have had not a lot of time to spend on DDO, up at the hospital and all :) I won't be able to post any arguments this round, as I have an appointment and so have to leave quite soon, so it will just be a rebuttal. Sorry for the inconvenience I cause.

My last source?

You said this: "When was this article published? That's right. 2007. What year is it right now? That's right. 2013. How outdated is that article? SIX YEARS. Look at up to date articles on this topic, before handing me with all this outdated info."
Can I just ask, did I say the source was up to date? My point, if you did read it properly, was that XBox was the preferred platform for exclusive gamemakers, I never said it currently is.

Rebuttals

Let me walk you through your rebuttals,

1)
Just because you say that your controllers work perfectly fine, does not mean that they are better than anything in the whole wide world! "No whatever you said about this topic is now null. And I am pretty sure, you have to buy the Xbox controller charger." Firstly, nope. I own an XBox, and have owned a PS3. Nothing I say about this topic is null. And actually, you don't have to buy the controller charger separately. Some gaming stores do a package which include this charger, among other accessories.

2)
"SONY REALISED THEIR SECURITY WAS BREACHED ON THE FIRST DAY." I agree with you, but what I actually said was that "Only a week after Sony realised the security had been breached, did they alert the 77million users that their details had been stolen" I never said that they didn't realise until a week after. Derp.
"Secondly, you state this. "This has never happened to XBox LIVE", after I ALREADY stated this: "They could of hacked the Xbox 360's network if they wanted too, but they chose a target at random, and chose the PS3's, which is known as PlayStation Network." This makes your argument completely null and void." Let me depict this point by point. "but they chose a target at random", No they didn't. You said yourself that the hackers were professional, but why would a professional do something randomly? You think Hitler killed the Jews because he felt like it?
"This makes your argument completely null and void" No, actually. No argument is null and void until you can provide evidence against it, that means citing a source. Oh wait, I have a source that makes your arguments, this is where I got the above points and figures from: http://en.wikipedia.org... .

3)
"Let me point something out to you. "LIVE is encrypted whereas PSN was simply coded." This is completely false, and I would like to ask you where you got this information" I wish to clarify my information a bit more, 'PSN was more simply coded'. Encryption is a slightly different coding to your standard script. I do not know which script, but that is besides the point. Having worked for a small period of time in the IT industry, I think I know when one security coding is better than another. Take it from a professional.
"PSN's security is actually STRONGER than Xbox LIVE's" To be honest, its not. I am intrigued now though, what makes you believe that PSN's security is better than LIVE's.

4)
I checked both of the Amazon links, and they came up with a 404 error.

5)
"Half the games on PlayStation move do not require you to hold the controller" Your source for this is?
"and you strap the controller to your body." Yeah, not nearly as cool as not having to have a controller AT ALL!
"Also, I would like to point out the Kinect is a lot harder to control and actually play games, considering "You are the controller". It is a lot easier with the PS3, where there is actually a controller. And PlayStation Move games are much more interesting and easier to use the Kinect games." And can you provide evidence for this?

6)
"Another thing, which I would like to point out to you. The PlayStation 4 is coming out" PlayStation 4 huh? Problem is, this argument is "The PS3 is better than the Xbox 360." Not "The PS4 (even though it has not been released yet) is better than the Xbox 360" Stick to the argument please, which you yourself instigated!!

Good luck to my opponent next round.

mike374040

Pro

I'm very sorry that you are sick, and we all wish for you to get well soon.

Now on to my rebuttals.

1.

You said this: "My point, if you did read it properly, was that XBox was the preferred platform for exclusive gamemakers, I never said it currently is."

This text here that you said yourself, even proves, that the PS3 has more original and exclusive games. Enough said.

2.

You said this: "And actually, you don't haveto buy the controller charger separately. Some gaming stores do a package which include this charger, among other accessories."

Which is excactly my point? I stated that it does not come with the controller, and you stated that you can buy the charger, which is an accessory, with the package. This means that the controller and the controller package are two different things itself.

3.

You stated this: "Let me depict this point by point. "but they chose a target at random", No they didn't. You said yourself that the hackers were professional, but why would a professional do something randomly? You think Hitler killed the Jews because he felt like it?"

Dictators commiting genocide and a hacker group hacking a company are two completely different things. Hitler killed the Jews for a reason. Although this reason was false, it was still a reason. The hacking group, known as Anonymous (This is their hacking group - Anonymous), chose a target at random and continously DDoSed PSN until they finally stole the information of over 77 million users. They had no grudge against Sony; Sony had no grudge against them. This is why Sony was a random target. Obviously they narrowed it down to the top companies, like Microsoft and Sony, but they chose Sony at random.

And no, my argument is not null and void. Yours is.
Why?
Because Wikipedia is not credible, considering it can be edited by anybody. Wikipedia even states that it is NOT to be used as a citation or a source.

4.

You say this: "To be honest, its not. I am intrigued now though, what makes you believe that PSN's security is better than LIVE's."

Let me tell you something. On Call of Duty, the Xbox 360 is the only console with modded lobbies, which are caused by hackers. This has never happened to the PS3, and never will. To create these lobbies, obviously the hackers need to get past security.

And let me tell you something. The Xbox 360 has had it's fair share of security breaches itself. This is just one: http://www.guardian.co.uk...

5.

Im sorry. When I put them in, they worked perfectly fine. Let me retry.

http://www.amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com...

And if those still don't work, let me list the prices.

PlayStation Move Starter Bundle:
List Price: $99.99
Price: $80.98
You Save: $19.01 (19%)

Kinect Sensor Adventures:
List Price: $109.99
Price: $89.99 & eligible for FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $20.00 (18%)

Look at the price difference.

6.

You state this: ""Half the games on PlayStation move do not require you to hold the controller" Your source for this is?
"Also, I would like to point out the Kinect is a lot harder to control and actually play games, considering "You are the controller". It is a lot easier with the PS3, where there is actually a controller. And PlayStation Move games are much more interesting and easier to use the Kinect games." And can you provide evidence for this?"

Half may be an exaggeration. But still. A lot of games on Move do not require you to hold the controller. Zumba, which is one of the popular ones, does not require you to hold the controller. And that is just one example.

I can provide evidence based on personal experience. I own a PlayStation move, and I have played a Kinect at a friends house. Games such as "Sports Champions" that I have played were much more interesting than a popular game on the Kinect known as "Kinect Adventures". Same with "Kinectimals", which we got tired of after five minutes.

7.

Yes. I am sorry for bringing up this topic. Sorry about that :/ A new topic will be made for that later, along the lines of "The PS4 is better than the Xbox 720. :)

This is why you should vote for me, and good luck to my opponent in the last and final round.
jp1999

Con

And now for my final parts of the debate.

Rebuttals against your numbered points

1.
Ok, so the PS3 has more exclusive titles than I thought. It is fair to say though, I had my PS3 until 2009/10 so I have missed out on 3/4 years of exclusive game releases. Point proven. But this doesn't make the PS3 better, why? Because there are more players on PS, more players=more purchases, more puchases=more money, more money=more exclusive games...

2.
"This means that the controller and the controller package are two different things itself." No. A controller package does not exist, a package which was designed by LIVE includes a controller. The shops sell LIVE's products, not their own. They might import other compatible accessories (e.g headset) but what is branded XBox, is sold by shops under XBox.

3.
"Dictators commiting genocide and a hacker group hacking a company are two completely different things. Hitler killed the Jews for a reason. Although this reason was false, it was still a reason. The hacking group, known as Anonymous (This is their hacking group - Anonymous), chose a target at random and continously DDoSed PSN until they finally stole the information of over 77 million users. They had no grudge against Sony; Sony had no grudge against them. This is why Sony was a random target. Obviously they narrowed it down to the top companies, like Microsoft and Sony, but they chose Sony at random."
You kind of have just given away a reason, "until they finally stole the information of over 77 million users". Was that not their goal, to steal data? Ok, so they could have chosen LIVE to do that, but their isnt as much date, and its harder to get. Logic, look at this:

Hacker 1: Hmmm, Who shall I hack to steal data for advertising? The 77 million addresses from PSN or the 70 million from LIVE?
Hacker 2: More data = more money I guess! I reckon we ought to choose PSN then!

"And no, my argument is not null and void. Yours is.
Why?
Because Wikipedia is not credible, considering it can be edited by anybody. Wikipedia even states that it is NOT to be used as a citation or a source."

Firstly, I never said your arguments were null and void, you did however in the last two posts...
Secondly, Wikipedia is credible. Just because it can be edited by anybody does not mean it is not credible. It is like say newspapers are not credible, because they are written by biased journalists, you cite one below actually... If Wikipedia cannot be cited, neither can the Guardian, which for the community's benefit, is an ANTI-government and ANTI-political newspaper.

4.
"Let me tell you something. On Call of Duty, the Xbox 360 is the only console with modded lobbies, which are caused by hackers. This has never happened to the PS3, and never will. To create these lobbies, obviously the hackers need to get past security."
Nope, you get modded lobbies on PS3. Here: http://www.se7ensins.com...;

"And let me tell you something. The Xbox 360 has had it's fair share of security breaches itself. This is just one:http://www.guardian.co.uk...;
I never said it had none, but your source is no less biased than mine...

5.

"Im sorry. When I put them in, they worked perfectly fine. Let me retry.

http://www.amazon.com......

http://www.amazon.com......

PlayStation Move Starter Bundle:
List Price: $99.99
Price: $80.98
You Save: $19.01 (19%)

Kinect Sensor Adventures:
List Price: $109.99
You Save: $20.00 (18%)

Look at the price difference."

Price difference, is $9.01. What do you get for the extra $9? See for yourself, here is what they include:
PS3:
Specs:
  • Bundle hardware is compatible optional hardware, sold separately, including additional Move motion controllers
  • Affordable starter bundle for the Sony's motion-controlled gaming system, PlayStation Move
  • Includes the PlayStation Move components, the PlayStation Move motion controller and PlayStation Eye camera peripheral (Pretty Good)
  • The PlayStation Move motion controller features standard PlayStation navigational button for easy in-game movement
  • Includes a copy of the Multiplayer PlayStation Move game, Sports Champions (Worth it)

Kinect:
Specs:
  • Array of 4 microphones supporting single speaker voice recognition (4 more mics? No wonder it costs slightly more?!?)
  • Depth Camera 640x480 pixel resolution @30FPS (This is as good as you get as standard for both platforms)
  • Color VGA Motion Camera 640x480 pixel resolution @30FPS (30 FPS is quite a good standard)
  • Fully compatible with all Xbox 360 models (That is great!!)
  • Revolutionary technology that includes body recognition (Sweet!)
The Kinect's graphics are better, its compatibility is better, its voice recognition is inbuilt. Im sorry, the XBox just wins on this one.

6.
http://i.ebayimg.com...,!)0E9s37F0(!BRF5-qFdI!~~48_79.JPG
What's that at the bottom of the image? A Controller holder, around your waist? A bit uncomfortable?

One word in that statement makes it biased; "we" from "which we got tired of after five minutes". Does that mean EVERYONE will get bored...?
7.

Yes. I am sorry for bringing up this topic. Sorry about that :/ A new topic will be made for that later, along the lines of "The PS4 is better than the Xbox 720. :) Nope thats fine

I summarise

I wish to point out a very important point. We are debating over platforms. Two completely different platforms made by two separate companies, using different graphics, coding, and just about as different as you can get. So, to compare the two is like comparing yoghurt with cheese. They are both dairy, but at different ends of the scale, so different yet almost the same. It is with this point I think that this debate has a flaw. We have debated over two comepletely different gaming consoles.
Problem is now persuading you guys to vote for me, what likely will happen is that it will become an opinion poll. People just voting for the Console they prefer.

Ah well, thanks for reading all of this anyway!
Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
XBOX has better controller end of story.
Vote Placed by Majducator 4 years ago
Majducator
mike374040jp1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had more convincing arguments and conduct