1CRK
legend94

The Packers are Better than the Bears

Started: 6/21/2014 Category: Sports

1CRK

Pro

This is my first debate everyone, so please pity me and try to ignore minor mistakes that I may make.

The Packers are a much better team than the Bears. Firstly, their ability to move the ball down the field through the air is nearly unparalleled, and the Bears have shown incompetence in this respect in recent years. In addition, the defensive prowess of the Bears in the past has decayed due to an aging and departing defense. The addition of players such as Julius Peppers and Clinton-Dix have increased the Packers strength in this region and the emergence of now dominant corners Sam Shields and Tramon Williams only improves their ability to play great defense.

Looking forward to a great debate.
legend94

Con

Before I get into this I would like to mention that this is my first debate on this site. However I competitively debate in the APDA circuit and am currently working in France. I felt as though this was a good way to keep my argumentation sharp. Secondly, I would like to point out that this topic is something which people will be extremely biased towards and for that reason I don't think either of us should be discouraged by the way the voting turns out. Lastly before I begin I would like to thank my opposition for bringing forth such a great topic and although you are obviously a "stinkin' cheese head" I hope we can be very civil and open minded while arguing.

First of all to start on case I am going to briefly go over three points as to why the Chicago Bears better than the Green Bay Packers. First of all the Chicago Bears have a better overall personnel or roster than the Packers. The opposition states that the ability to move the ball through the air which the Packers possess make them a better team. Well first of all I would like to concede that Aaron Rodgers is an amazing QB and does lead a high octane passing attack. However this does not make them superior to the Bears. To be well rounded is a virtue that definitely out ways being one dimensional. The Chicago Bears may have had trouble in the past with an Aerial attack but may I remind you that last year two Wide Receivers from the Chicago Bears went to the Pro Bowl. Furthermore, although the Bears do have a great passing attack they also have a well rounded offense. This balance can be supported by the statistic that they were the second highest scoring offense in the league last year. They did not trail the Packers either which would further support the superiority of the Bears as a whole.

My second argument shifts over to the defensive side of the ball. The Chicago Bears had a historically bad season last year, They were among the worst units in the league in most categories. This being the case they still sent a corner back to the Pro Bowl in Tim Jennings, which is one more than the Packers. At this moment you may reference my opponent saying that the dominant corner play which is fairly non existent as it is common knowledge that the Packers have a weak pass defense. My point is that the Packers have lacked solid defensive play for a long time and that their corner backs have been less than dominant.

My third and final point is history and tradition. I understand that the Packers also have a wealth of tradition that is extraordinary, however the Bears are also better in this category. First of all the Bears became an established organization in 1919 as the Decatur Staleys. They are the only remaining founding team in the league. The Green Bay Packers are the second oldest team in the NFL being established 2 years after the Bears in 1921. Since then the Chicago Bears have had 32 members of their organization enshrined in the NFL's Hall of Fame. This being more than any other team and 5 more than the Green Bay Packer's 27. The Chicago Bears have also won 9 championships and 1 Superbowl in their amazing history. Although I will concede that the Packers have more Championships and Superbowls than the Chicago Bears I will also point out that the difference is marginal and that both teams are among leaders in Championship wins. Lastly, the 1985 Chicago Bears were voted as the second best season in NFL history only behind the undefeated '72 Dolphins. This '85 Bears team had the best statistical defense of their time and revolutionized the way the game was played. They also released a music video called the Superbowl Shuffle which was full of swagger. The Green Bay Packers have nothing like this because they simply do not, and will never possess the same swag as the Monsters of the Midway.

Their ability to move the ball through the air is completely paralleled in a league where emphasis has been put on the passing game. The Denver Broncos, New England Patriots and the New Orleans Saints all move the ball through the air just as well if not better than the Packers. The Packers Defense was atrocious last season as it has been for the past decade. Although working with lots of talent in many former 1st round picks Dom Capers is unable to create a defense that ranks in the top half of the league and it is rumored that one more bad season will leave him without a job. The addition of Julius Peppers was garbage as he is over 30 years old and has only seen his play decline over the last 3 years. The Chicago Bears freed up incredible room in cap space, while the Green Bay Packers lost 10 million dollars this upcoming season for a player who will be lucky to get 10 sacks. The offseason additions of Jared Allen, Willie Young and Lamarr Houston are worth what the Bears were going to pay Julius Peppers and their production will be much more substantial. Also Lamarr Houston is 26 and Willie Young is only 28, both only entering their primes. The Bears Defense will once again rise to a top ten unit, where it seems the Green Bay Packers will maintain mediocre at best because they are putting all of their defensive faith in a highly touted rookie from Alabama. If you look at the production of Alabama draft picks, you will be surprised to find that they have not been reaching their potential in the NFL. The only one who has is Eddie Lacey but because an argument cannot be based on exceptions we can pretty much rule him out,

Excited to see what's to come!!
1CRK

Pro

Thanks for taking this debate, and I truly respect your wealth of football knowledge.

Not sure if it's customary to say who I am, but I do Model United Nations very competitively, and am using Debate.Org as an effective way to polish my debating skills.

My opponent argued that the history of the Chicago Bears is more illustrious than that of the Green Bay Packers. I would firstly like to highlight two key points in this argument: that the Bears Defense is historically stronger, and that the Bears 1985 season was second best of all time. While I am in no position to challenge the success of the Bears' '85 season, the Packers have had more consistent and quite possible more "amazing" success. Secondly, though the Bears maintain a reputation of defensive skill, the Packers have much to say in this category as well. Legendary players such as Dick Butkus for the Bears, and Reggie White for the Packers are a few examples of great skill on both teams. Though the Packers' historically fierce defense's reputation has been tainted in recent years, the Packers have maintained a dominant record with regard to defense.

The first point upon which the Packers overpower the Bears in terms of team history is their incredible founding and growth of the Packers. The Packers, in contrast to the Bears, started out as a small hometown team named the "Acme Packers." The success of the Packers in their early years (a total of 9 world championships vs. the Bears' 8) increased the popularity of the Packers not only in Wisconsin, but throughout the country. The further victory of the first two Super Bowls by the legendary coach Vince Lombardi of the Packers made Green Bay's hometown franchise a famous one (not to mention the most important trophy in American sports is now named after Lombardi). The Bears, with merely one Super Bowl to their name (the Packers currently have 4 in addition to their World Championships, which number most in the league), cannot claim to contest the Packers in terms of History.

Another important item to bring to the table is the discussion of fan bases. Though the Bears possess a very enthusiastic fan base, the Packers are yet again dominant in this category. A ranking done by Forbes, which may be found here: http://www.forbes.com... , found that the Packers had the second best group of fans in the entire NFL, ranking only behind the Dallas Cowboys. The Bears ranked merely eighth in the same poll. If you don't trust Forbes, look to NFL.com, which certainly has a close connection with all of teams, as it is run by the NFL itself. The site found that "No team has a stronger connection to its fans than the Packers. They are smarter and more loyal. They demand better coverage. It's a lifestyle", the Bears, who still ranked highly were merely a "generational thing" (The article may be found here: http://www.nfl.com...). Granted both of these surveys date about two years back, but if they were redone, I'm positive the same results would surface.

Though the Packers' fan base is far better, as is their history, to those who still may not be convinced that the Packers are FAR better than the Bears, here are two paragraphs that will serve as a testament to the fact that the Packers are better than the Bears in the year 2014-2015. For this year, Vegas put the Packers at a 10-1 chance to win the super bowl, with the Bears coming in at merely half of that, 20-1. In addition, A1G sports projected the Packers to beat the Bears for the NFC North title, which would make this the fourth year in a row they will have done so if they accomplish the feat.

While debating the strength of individual units is often a shaky bet at best, the Packers often top the Bears individual position analysis. As previously mentioned, the Packers have great ability to strike through the air, but what makes them such a strong team lies not only in this ability, but also in their ability to run the ball effectively. Last year Eddie Lacy rushed for more than 1000 yards and won the NFL's annual "Offensive Rookie of the Year" award. Though Matt Forte rushed for nearly 1400 yards in the same season, Lacy offered the Packers a "Ground and Pound" factor that kept defenses on their feet. Eddie Lacy and the Packers' ability to both pass and run the ball effectively is virtually unparalleled in the league (save possibly the Broncos and Saints), certainly not by a team by the Bears, with an above average at best passing attack. Because the NFL has become more and more of an offensive league, defense has become less important. Though defense has become less and less important, the Packers have taken significant steps towards improvement and bettering the Bears once again. The Bears, though not without young recruits, have an aging core, and with the departure of Urlacher and soon Briggs as well as much of their secondary, the Bears' strength in terms of defense will wane just as the Packers' strength will grow. With good young players such as Shields, Jolly, Matthews, and also quickly improving players such as Clinton-Dix and Perry, the Packers are quickly building up strength for an even more prosperous future for the team.

These are just a few reasons the Packers are better than the Bears.

Go NFC North!
legend94

Con

legend94 forfeited this round.
1CRK

Pro

1CRK forfeited this round.
legend94

Con

legend94 forfeited this round.
1CRK

Pro

1CRK forfeited this round.
legend94

Con

legend94 forfeited this round.
Posted by Martley 3 years ago
Martley
I agree! I'll be watching this debate.... some FIB will certainly loose this one!