ashwin.sharma921
imabench

The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword

imabench

ashwin.sharma921

Pro

The first round is for acceptance of the debate. The Con will first argue and put forward his points. The Con should try to prove himself having the BOP. There are no fixed rules for the debate.
imabench

Con

"Whoever said 'the pen is mightier than the sword' obviously never encountered automatic weapons " - General Douglas MacArthur.

"The first round is for acceptance of the debate. The Con will first argue and put forward his points"

Kind of contradictory here. Since this is only two rounds I will argue first after I clarify one thing

"The Con should try to prove himself having the BOP"

We both have the BOP on this one, I need to prove that the pen isnt mightier than the sword, you have to prove that the pen is mightier than the sword.

Now then as for my argument

The saying "The pen is mightier than the sword" can be interpreted in many ways depending on perspective, but since there are no rules (as the pro said) ill go ahead and give my own interpretation. The phrase to me states that in times of war, negotiation is stronger then confrontation and conflict when it comes down to warring nations.

I for one disagree that negotiation is a better tactic for getting what a nation wants compared to warfare or intimidation. WWII in Europe ended only after Russia and the US had dismantled the Nazi government through military occupation. WWII ultimately ended with the US nuking thousands of civilians. Saddam was removed from power only through military intervention, Osama was killed because of military precision and expertise, not because of any types of ceasefire or negotiation. The Korean war didnt end at all with any kind of peace treaty, there was only a cease-fire that has now lasted north of 60 years.

Nations will always use the sword when dealing with an enemy and only use the pen if one side has accepted defeat at the hands of the nation holding the sword. Therefore the pen is not mightier than the sword, it is merely a prize for the nation that wields the sword the best.
ashwin.sharma921

Pro

ashwin.sharma921 forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

I gave an argument, Pro didnt.

Vote Con :D
Posted by SarcasticIndeed 4 years ago
SarcasticIndeed
Note* damn...
Posted by SarcasticIndeed 4 years ago
SarcasticIndeed
Inb4 death nite argument.
Vote Placed by Magicr 4 years ago
Magicr
ashwin.sharma921imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff