PhillyEgls20
rnsweetheart

The Philadelphia Eagles should NOT draft WR DeSean Jackson

Started: 3/21/2008 Category: Sports

PhillyEgls20

Pro

I just don't understand why so many Eagles fans want to draft DeSean Jackson. He is overrated as a WR in my mind and would not fair any better than a full time KR/PR. I can name about four or five other WRs in this year's draft class that would make more of an impact throughout their career than DeSean Jackson would.
rnsweetheart

Con

Desean Jackson is a good receiver and that is all the need to know. You can name other, but believe me, not all highly rated receivers are the best or the worst. And that is all they need, if the fans want him, then get him.
PhillyEgls20

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for taking the time to debate with me.

First, I said I would name receivers I felt were better than DeSean Jackson. I believe Limas Sweed (Texas) is the best receiver in the draft. I know he had injury problems but let's face it, he is 6'4' and 215 lbs with amazing catching and big play capability. The Eagles have not had a big, threatening WR since Harold Carmichael. If the Eagles were to draft a WR with the first round pick I would expect that receiver to automatically move to the slot WR position. So why not have a "big" WR to help us in the red zone? (where the Eagles constantly struggled last season) Talent and size like Sweed doesn't come around too often and there are about three others with his size in the draft so I would be extremely disappointed if the Eagles did not pick one up.

Other WRs I like (in order) are: 1.) Limas Sweed (Texas) 2.) Malcolm Kelly (Oklahoma) 3.)James Hardy (Indiana) 4.)Early Doucet (LSU) 5.)Mario Manningham (Michigan)

All of them with more talent than DeSean Jackson and the first three with great size on top of it.

DeSean Jackson is nowhere near being an elite WR in the NFL. He is way too undersized. I'm not going to put down his KR/PR ability, but that is all I feel he is talented as. If I were to relate him to a previous Eagles WR, I would see him as a Todd Pinkston type of receiver. Pinkston never fully developed as a WR and hasn't had a career since the Eagles released him. I'm not saying that would happen to Jackson because I love his ability to return the ball, and that is enough for a job with most teams. I'm just saying from a WR perspective, I don't see his talent as being substantial enough for the Eagles needs (just like Todd Pinkston wasn't). Luckily for him he is as good as he is when it comes to KR/PR.

I understand the Eagles need a KR. But I think Jackson's WR ability is too mediocre to take in the first round. Other KR talent is available in the later rounds where the Eagles can address the need.
rnsweetheart

Con

T.O. was a threatening receiver, but like I said, they should not draft him. No they should draft him, because any receving choice is good.
PhillyEgls20

Pro

<>

I don't understand what u mean by your round 2 argument. Are you arguing with yourself when u say "they should not draft him, no they should draft him?" or are you saying the Eagles shouldn't have drafted T.O.? The San Francisco 49ers drafted T.O. not the Eagles, if that's what you meant.

Yes T.O. was a threatening receiver but if you know anything about Harold Carmichael, you will agree T.O. wasn't even in the same league as Carmichael. Most Eagles fans will agree with me on that.

I really don't know how to argue your stance because you didn't debate the topic. My issue is people overrating a guy like DeSean Jackson and overlooking the other, better possibilities for the Eagles. Someone like Sweed, Kelly, or Hardy would bring a new dimension to the Eagles WRs. DeSean Jackson would bring the same old thing to Philly. We already have speedy receivers (Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis)...We need a tall, possession receiver.

DeSean Jackson reminds me too much of Ted Ginn Jr. The Miami Dolphins had a chance to draft Brady Quinn who would have helped their franchise to not become the WORST in the league. Instead they chose a 2nd round talent. A mediocre receiver with exceptional KR/PR ability. So in essence they used the 9th overall pick to draft a kick returner. If the Eagles draft DeSean Jackson they will be labeled the Miami Dolphins of the 2008 draft. The only difference is that we have the 19th pick, not the 9th. I'm not calling DeSean Jackson 2nd round talent because I truly believe he is better than that. He just isn't the best WR on the board and that is who the Eagles should take, the best WR.
rnsweetheart

Con

It is very simple, they eagles should draft however they want, So if they are leaning toward DeSean Jackson, then so be it. They have a right to draft him and an obligation, because obviously they believe in him, you don't, but if they believe in him so much, then they should draft him. Vote NEG
Posted by shwayze 9 years ago
shwayze
desean jackson will be a bust in the NFL. He is definitely not a first round pick. He is prone to injury, has attitude problems, and is undersized. He will get killed in the NFL.
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 8 years ago
RepublicanView333
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied
Vote Placed by westsidestarz247 9 years ago
westsidestarz247
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied
Vote Placed by PhillyEgls20 9 years ago
PhillyEgls20
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied
Vote Placed by rnsweetheart 9 years ago
rnsweetheart
PhillyEgls20rnsweetheartTied