toxicmaniac
Agent_Orange

The PlayStation 3 is a better system for gaming than the Xbox 360

Agent_Orange
Started: 9/19/2012 Category: Technology

toxicmaniac

Pro

A very long time ago I accepted the challenge to refute the opponents claim that the Xbox 360 is the superior system for gaming, however I had to forfeit due to some personal issues in real life.

Today I want to redo this debate in hope to make up for my forfeit but need a new opponent to do so.

The rules are simple: I will try to convince why the PlayStation 3 is a better game experience over the Xbox 360 and my opponent will try to do the opposite with the Xbox 360.

First round for rules and acceptance only.
Agent_Orange

Con

Accepted but I'll be arguing why the Xbox 360 is a better all around system
toxicmaniac

Pro

I would like to thank con for accepting my challenge, please be gentle with me haven't debated in a while so i am pretty rusty. And i will accept your request too change the debate too all around better system.

I will now present my opening arguments of why the PS3 is a superior system over the Xbox 360.

1. Video games and Developers.

Both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 are defined as gaming consoles. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for people to buy and use primarily for playing video games on a TV, therefor video games are the most important factor when it comes to these two systems.

Both the PS3 and the X360 have over these years presented a strong line up of iconic games including juggernauts as Call of Duty, Assassins Creed and Fallout. However what finally seperated these two are exclusive games.
In the case of the video game industry exclusivity is defined as not divided or shared with others: exclusive publishing rights. Exclusive video games that appear on only one platform are the video games that seperates a console from it's competition and moves the platform forward due to it's iconic status. The NES had Mario, the Genesis had Sonic and the Xbox had Halo CE, ect.

The Xbox 360 has proven itself to be wise with it's exclusive IP's including Halo, Gears and Forza for the core gamer and Dance Central plus other various kinect games for the casual crowd.
However the PS3 has the superior edge in quality, allowing far more IP's to be published from various different genres including Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, MLB The Show, Killzone and Resistance just to name a few.
While Microsoft has expirimented with various IP's in the past like Lost oddysey, Crackdown and Too Human Microsoft no longer supports them and has claimed that they care more about the sales and impact of the games than releasing a variety of them. Which is good in a marketing standpoint but not from a gamers standpoint.

With Sony supporting both the casual and core crowd, having more First and Third party Developers, releasing more IP's and games in the present and future i argue that the PlayStation 3 is overall superior in software which is the key factor in video game consoles.
http://www.eurogamer.net...
http://www.cheatcc.com...

2. Features and online capabilities

The Xbox 360 is very known for it's social aspect, offering region specific access to third-party media streaming application such as Netflix and ESPN in the US or Sky Go in the UK aswell as other multimedia options such as zune, Last.fm and Facebook. However a lot of these features are exclusive in specific countries and often require an Xbox Live gold account compared to the completely free Playstation Network.
The PS3 however has quickly catched up with the Xbox 360's social aspect including Filmy, Playmemories, Blu-ray movies for the best viewing experience, 3D gaming, Playstation Home which is a massive hubworld, a build in internet browser and more.
When it comes to Xbox Live and Playstation Network it boils down to what your preference is, while Xbox Live has it's perks like superior social and early DLC it is still 50 bucks a year making it the only online gaming service that charges you money per month or year depending on what you prefer. Neither PSN, wii's network nor does all the online services like steam and origins for the PC charge you.
http://us.playstation.com...

3. Hardware and reliability

The CPU:
The two CPU chips run at the same GHz speed, but the PS3's seven individual cores beat out the Xbox's three dual-threaded cores. And in terms of performance measured in gigaflops, the PS3 tops out at nearly three times that of the Xbox.

Disc space:
While the PS3's disc drive runs somewhat slower than the Xbox's, it does offer the significantly higher storage capacity that comes with Blu-ray. Current PS3 discs have 25 GB to offer, and a new dual layer format is in the works that may increase this number to 33.4 GB. For most gamers, this storage boost will be far more important than read speed.

Resolution:
While the Xbox's menu screens support 1080p display, Microsoft only requires its games to support 720p. The PS3 features a significant number of games that support 1080p. That's to say nothing of the PS3's support for Blu-ray movies and the growing focus on 3D gaming.

Reliability:
Now let's just get the elephant out of the room first, yes we all know the Red Ring of Death, subject to a number of technical problems and failures that can render it unusable which was estimated to have a failure rate over 33% however with the latest 360 the RROD has been solved and now the failure rate between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 is as of yet.
Still with the massive amounts of hardware failures in the past for the Xbox 360 it still leaves a scar in the gaming industry.
http://www.ign.com...

So with this round i argue that:

- The PlayStation 3 supports a larger variety of software and exclusives and has more 1st party developers supporting it where as the majority of Xbox 360 exclusives tend to be outdated and ignored by Microsoft.

- Xbox Live is the only service that charges you for online gaming

- The Xbox 360 has had one of the biggest failure rate in console gaming

- The PlayStation 3 is more powerfull hardware wise

- Most features for the PlayStation 3 are free compared to the Xbox 360

So overall the PlayStation 3 is an all around better system with greater value providing you with games, the cheapest blu-ray and a free service where as the Xbox 360 could merely be seen as a cheap alternative for PC games and watching movies.
Agent_Orange

Con

My opponent raises some good points...but for me.

1. Video games and Developers

My opponent says that the PS3 exclusives are superior in quality. He says that microsoft only cares about sales but his own link
http://www.eurogamer.net..., confirms the opposite. It clearly states that Microsoft only cares about quality and bemoans Sony for rereleasing old games with a HD makeover.

Now the reason why Sony appers to have better exclusives is because microsoft has moved away from big studios with big money and focused more on the little guy. Suprised? Don't be. Since the inception of Xbox live Arcade, the 360 has offered a marketplace exclusively for indie developers to make money. Microsoft also does not take a cut from sales of these indie games. Notice how PS3 doesn't have anything for indie developers because there is no money in it. In fact as soon as Kinect came out Microsift released the development kit for free just so people can tinker with it and find new creative useshttp://www.wired.com.... The PS3 move development kit has NOT been released.

And if we're talking non-exclusives the PS3 is a mess to develop for. My opponent mentions the gaming juggernaut that is the Fallout series. A quick google search reveals that the ps3 versions is a mess. http://community.us.playstation.com.... The same thing happened with 2011 Game of the year, Skyrim. In fact the The 360 has had thw Dawnguard DLC for months while there isn't even a release date for playstation yet. Blame the developer? You could but even Gabe Newell, head of valve hates it http://kotaku.com....

2. Features and online capabilities

My oppenent is absolutely correct when he states the Xbox live service is not free. But as a 3 year member, I would say this money is well invested. And not just me. The xbox 360 routinely outsells the ps3, which boldly states that more people would rather pay for xbox live than deal with the free PSN. Because PSN is not very good at all. I have a ps3 and I only use it for certain single player games. One problem with the psn is that their is no cross game chat. Meaning if I want to talk to a friend who but we want to play different games, this is impossible on the ps3 but on the xbox it can be 8 of us, all playing different games, all talking to each other. Another problem is the updates. My god the updates. Imagine waiting months to buy a certain game, you get home after purchasing pop in in your console, and now you have to wait hours to do so because you have to download an update that, as far as you can tell, did nothing. Oh and I should mention that these updates, which are 100% mandatory have a tendency to brick you console,which means it makes it unplayable, like a large brick. http://www.the-magicbox.com.... My opponent brought up the red ring of death problem for the 360 but that was fixed 4 years ago. This console bricking is still happening. But back to PSN. Another thing my opponent fails to mention is that all the best features require you to pay. Those features you have to pay for are all present on the 360 and the 360 has more. Much more. Here's a full list http://en.wikipedia.org...
Yes, you read that correctly the xbox 360 can be used as a cable box, which would save you a lot of money on your cable bill.
You see the xbox 360 only updates once a year. And it always adds a huge heaping of new features.

I won't even bring up the whole deal with 20,000 credit card numbers being stolen from psn and the service being shut down for an entire month. Oh wait.....

3. Hardware and reliability

First and foremost if hardware is an indicator of how good a system is than the Wii U is the greatest system of all time, a sentiment I'm sure my opponent doesn't agree with.

True. The blu-ray operates at slower speeds but higher memory capacity but the only thing this changes is that games move slower on the PS3 while on the 360 you might have a game that comes with two disk instead of 1. Hardly an incovience.

When it comes to resolution, both systems run at 1080p. I don't see his point on this one.

So I argue that

-Xbox cares more about quality than quantity and supports the smaller developers that Sony ignores.

-Paying for Xbox live is better than using the free PSN

-Games are easier to develop for the 360 while games come out broken for ps3

I'm still holding back information. No need to play all my cards just yet.
toxicmaniac

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his well written response and i will now attempt to defend the statements I had in the previous rounds that I still stand by.

Defense 1: Video games and developers

I have to deeply apologize to my opponent for this incredibly stupid mistake, when I was debating that ps3 exclusives are superior in quality I actually meant to say quantity. When it comes to the quality of certain games the debate is irresolvable because the quality of a game is subjective and depends on the enjoyment of the individual. Therefor because there are so many different gamers out there you need to have something for everyone and sony delivers that with many different key franchises that also carry different genres. If you look at 2009-present you will notice that the 360 mainly relied on only halo, gears of war and forza. Games like Fable and Alan Wake ended up on the PC where as most ps3 franchises have no alternative.

Right now when we are talking about upcoming franchises Sony has LBP karting, God of War ascension, Beyond 2 Souls, One Piece, Dust 514, Sports Champion 2, The Last of Us, Sly Cooper 4 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.
If you compare that to the 360 you got, Halo 4, Gears of War Judgment, Dance Central 3, Forza Horizon, Lococycle, Matter and Ascend new god.

Now the difference is clear, sony provides us with high budget quantity with franchises varying from karting to hack and slash games where as Microsoft focuses mainly on shooters, a racing game and kinect games.
As for the claim that games are easier to develop on the xbox 360 is a rather outdated claim, most developers got used to the core processor of the PS3 and even provide the PS3 with extra content such as Kratos exclusively for Mortal Kombat. Microsoft often pays publishers to get DLC earlier.

Rebuttal 1: Indie games and developing

My opponent claims that Microsoft supports the smaller developers that Sony ignores, while I won’t ignore that claim indie developers are treated very badly by Microsoft. Microsoft never promotes the XBLIG service and a lot of xbox owners are not even aware that section exists meaning that indie developers need to find their own ways to advertise it, not only that but various indie developers on XBLA such as team meat have shown hatred towards Microsoft.
Microsoft has very strict policies when it comes to Xbox Live and it’s one of the main reasons why tons of Live Arcade games haven't seen the light day on the marketplace and why a lot of free-to-play MMOs that were originally announced for the Xbox 360, have yet to appear on the Xbox 360 and won’t be appearing for some time, including The Secret World, Mabinogi, Huxley Age of Conan and Blade & Soul, amongst others.

While my opponent does raise the point that Microsoft supports indie developers it does it poorly, indie games are not meant to be on a platform being owned by a large company, it has been often shown that steam a free platform has always been better for indie developers.

http://www.destructoid.com...
http://www.wired.com...

Defense 2: Features and Online capabilities

Like I have mentioned before in the previous round I have stated that the Xbox 360 has it’s superior perks however needs to be charged for meaning that it boils down to what preferences there are. I cannot deny the perks and features that XBL provides us Cross Game Chat the ps3 also has it’s superior features such as steam on PSN in which ironicly Gabe Newell has called Xbox Live a trainwreck.

My opponent also claims that users rather would like to pay for XBL than use PSN for free however fail to provide us with evidence for that, in fact not only that but it is false, it is estimated that PSN has twice as many users as XBL having over 60 million users compared to XBL’s 30 million. While it is true that Sony has not turned a profit from PSN from a gamers standpoint it is clearly still a better deal.

My opponent also states that Xbox live has more features than PSN, while I cannot deny this it still has to be noted that the majority of these features are exclusively to the US, UK or Australia and still requires you to pay a monthly/yearly fee compared to PSN who provides most of these features for completely free.
I will however agree with my opponent that updating goes faster and better on XBL than with PSN.

http://www.cinemablend.com...
http://www.gamesradar.com...

3 Hardware and Reliability

My opponent argues that hardware is irrelevant, however you yourself changed the debate to which system is the superior system all around, without hardware you would not have a system in the first place.
It still remains a fact that the Playstation 3 is superior in performance, space and resolution which you can clearly look back to on the PS3’s flagship titles which look superior than any other console game out there.
Again I have stated that both run 1080P, however the 360 only allows 720P games.

So finally I argue that:

- I have managed to defend most of my main arguments that my opponent attempted to refute
- The PS3 provides us with a larger variety of high budget games and key franchises
- Microsoft does a poor job supporting the indie game market and is better off just staying on PC gaming
- Both XBL and PSN have it’s pro’s and con’s however most of PSN’s pro’s are completely free compared to Xbox 360’s pro’s
- Harder development on the Playstation 3 is rarely an issue anymore

Which comes to my conclusion that my opponent was unable to refute my points and that the most important arguments on why the PS3 is superior still stands.

I wish my opponent good luck in the last round and i hope that you have learned from this experience as much as i did.

Vote Pro!
Agent_Orange

Con

Video games and developers

My opponent doesn't understand the operations of Microsoft. First and foremost Microsoft has more exclusive games than the ps3. Here's a list http://en.wikipedia.org...(seventh_generation) . You can count them if you don't believe me.

The thing is though is that Sony loves just adding sequels to franchises. That's why the appear to have more. The only build upon their successful games. Microsoft offers a much much wider variety of different games to play on the 360.

"As for the claim that games are easier to develop on the xbox 360 is a rather outdated claim, most developers got used to the core processor of the PS3 and even provide the PS3 with extra content such as Kratos exclusively for Mortal Kombat."
It's not outdated. Skyrim, which is almost unplayable on ps3 came out in 2011. It's DLC which is awesome btw, was released last month. The ps3 version is still having problems, and most likely than not, it won't be released at all.

"Microsoft often pays publishers to get DLC earlier."

I know that. That's a good thing. I really appcreiate that.

Indie games and developing

"indie developers are treated very badly by Microsoft. Microsoft never promotes the XBLIG service and a lot of xbox owners are not even aware that section exists meaning that indie developers need to find their own ways to advertise it, not only that but various indie developers on XBLA such as team meat have shown hatred towards Microsoft."

First the indie game section is right next to the xbox live arcade section. They've never tried to hide it or bury it. Those games don't get much advertising because they don't pay for it. As for Team Meat, they had a bad experience but let's
not change the fact that microsoft made them all millionaires.

Also the reason why MMO's aren't present on the Xbox 360 is because they don't want to deal with microtransactions.

Features and Online capabilities

" Xbox 360 has it’s superior perks"
See that!
Even he admits it. For the record there are no features that the ps3 have that I think is superior

"My opponent also claims that users rather would like to pay for XBL than use PSN for free however fail to provide us with evidence for that, in fact not only that but it is false, it is estimated that PSN has twice as many users as XBL having over 60 million users compared to XBL’s 30 million"

That's probably because you can keep making new accounts for no reason. As for the figure I was referring to, the fact that the 360 outsells the ps3 on a consistent basis is found here http://www.egmnow.com...

"My opponent also states that Xbox live has more features than PSN, while I cannot deny this it still has to be noted that the majority of these features are exclusively to the US, UK or Australia and still requires you to pay a monthly/yearly fee compared to PSN who provides most of these features for completely free.
I will however agree with my opponent that updating goes faster and better on XBL than with PSN."

Again my opponent mentions Xbox features better than the ps3. Also I'm speaking on behalf of all gamers not just the US. So international features count.

This is all great but the 360 has something the ps3 can not hope to rival. That is kinect. If you have small children with you, Kinect is a blast. Instead of looking like some drone with a controller in thier hands you can get out and actually use your whole body to play. If you're actually in shape, it's a lot of fun.

Maybe you're more hardcore though. Kinect is still great for you. Let's take the blockbuster game Mass Effect 3. In ME3 you do missions in squads of three and you are able to command your other tro teamates. On ps3 if you want to issue a command you must pause the game and then select which teammate then select which command. With xbox kinect though I only need to say the name of the teamate and issue the command. This has the added effect of keeping you in the action and making you feel like a true commander.

Same thing with Skyrim. Wanna switch from sword to magic on ps3? You have to pause the game and go through very cluttered menus. But again with kinect my voice can keep me in the action. "Equip shield and fire spell" "Drink potion". Again you will not, can not do this with ps3. And it isn't just these two games either. Developes are coming up with new and intriguing ways to use the kinect.

But thats not enough for Xbox. They have to go further. Introducing Xbox Smartglass. watch the video if you can

Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
Want to debate Pc vs Xbox?
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
"First and foremost if hardware is an indicator of how good a system is than the Wii U is the greatest system of all time, a sentiment I'm sure my opponent doesn't agree with. "
Wrong, PC.
The PS3 is superior to the Xbox in tech. The Wii U is better than the PS3 in terms of tech. The PC is better than the Wii U in tech.
Posted by Debate786 5 years ago
Debate786
Pro made good arguments about the PS3 but so did Con with 360. I own both consoles and I believe PS3 delivers best games when they are released and content. I also believe 360 delivers content that users expect and love. More interaction comes from Xbox users. Kinect is a revolution in advanced technology. I have seen it modified for medical machinery use! There is a lot of potential from the technology. PS3 is best at what it tries to deliver and 360 is best at delivering what the consumer want. I know the situation for debating such a topic can be a hard debate of the two,personally it really depends on personal preferences of liking. To experience which consoles suits you best, I'd say go buy one of each and experience the environment on your own. My opinion is, I love both consoles to death, but I get more online fun from Xbox. I really don't care for the yearly fee. I just buy my 1 year card from any store that sells the cards for $30-40 when there is sale going on. Is it worth it? Oh yes it definitely is. PS3 may be awesome for its free online service, but free comes with less benefits. I enjoy PS3's online features, but not as much as what Xbox's market has to offer for the price of $30-40 a year. If I can pre-order and buy Brand new games from GameStop for $60 + tax of about $65, then I can afford buying that yearly cost. If you work and earn minimum wage even working 2 hours for only two days of the week. You still earn $370+ in one year. Anyways, people need to stop complaining about paying for features. You ACTUALLY get what you pay for! <- This statement should be engraved in a Gold, because it's true. Every consoles has ups and downs. One thing to note is: 360 had a limit on HDD size where as PS3 has no limit to the capacity of HDD. I own tons of games, my HDD size goes way past 300GB for both consoles. I actually enjoy buying games for both consoles because one doesn't have one and the other does. As mentioned, it's all about own preferences.
Vote Placed by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
toxicmaniacAgent_OrangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proved that Xbox has superior features, better quality games, more exclusive games, and is better liked I general.