TheRadAdmiral
Jhate

The Playstation 3 is a better console than the Xbox 360.

Started: 1/28/2012 Category: Technology

TheRadAdmiral

Pro

I often hear how much better the Xbox is better than Playstation, and for a while believed it. Until I bought the PS3. Since than, in my mind the Xbox doesn't have a leg to stand on in a battle with the PS3.

The Pros (That Xbox can't offer):

1) Bluray- We all now that Bluray players are often over $100 dollars, but if you have a true HD TV, you will know that Bluray is worth it. Stunning Picture quality and functionality make it the top dog of the portable media world. So it only makes sense that a gaming console with Bluray is not only a good value for bundle purposes, but can offer superior picture and sound.

2) Online Play- Who likes saving money? If you answered "I don't," then you must have some serious cash to burn and I'm not sure why you are wasting your time reading this debate when you could be driving your Porsche. So we all like saving money, especially when it comes to things that shouldn't cost anything at all. The perfect example is online play.
Xbox Live is a fantastic online experience for your Xbox, if you want to be handing over cash for something that costs the provider nothing. To be fair the price is at a perfect level...for Microsoft. It is not so unreasonable that people will refuse to pay it, but is is still about as much as you are paying for Netflix per month. Playstation Network on the other hand has many if not all of the same features for FREE. You can't beat free no matter how hard you try.

3) Exclusives- Each console has their exclusive games that often sell really well, take classic Mario Kart for example. But between the Xbox and the Playstation, the Edge would have to go to our friends at Sony. Sure Halo swept the first person shooter world for a while, but with MW3 and Battlefield 3 in the market now, Halo has lost its luster.
But in the case of the Playstation, long time series like Ratchet and Clank (PS exclusive by the way)have no match on the Xbox. Even newer series like Uncharted and Little Big Planet have as of yet to see anything come even close in production quality and sheer imagination (mostly with LBP.)

In conclusion, the Xbox is a quality console, but when the topics of feature and price come to the table, it becomes less and less of a contest.
Jhate

Con

I accept this debate and will rebuttal several things my opponent has stated.

counter to number 1:
My opponent stated that Bluray makes the Ps3 superior as far as picture and sound.
My opponent failed to mention really anything about console game play.
Yea people love blu ray, i have a Ps3 and Xbox and yea they are great but the edge goes to Xbox.

Counter to number 2: My opponent said paying for Xbox live gives you practically nothing. This is wrong. Since you mentioned games like Cod; People who pay for xbox live however get map packs a month earlier for ps3. There is a reason Xbox is the biggest online community.
as you can see here on Topten reviews, you may think it is false info but it isnt. Xbox has a larger community
http://video-game-consoles-review.toptenreviews.com...

Ps3 has a terrible security system. Sure it works on features but the PSN network has been more vulnerable to hackers than xbox. Ps3 downloads for games also last a while while xbox the download is quick. Ps3 has so much memory and things that downloads are often slow. Also the server has been known to crash as well. And its usaully down for hours. However Xbox servers did crash but that was after the release of MW3 which broke the cnsole record for most players on xbox live at once heres my source on that
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...

You must realize this is a video game console, people dont get on just watch movies, although it is a great add on, xbox allows everything Ps3 does except blu ray. I can never tell the diffrence between HD and non HD and you tend to pay more for Bluray movies anyway.

Xbox live allows you to have parties. Meaning you and your friends can be in a party chat together without everyone else. This makes it more friend friendly literally.

xbox: Incredible Community Experience- parties, easily join friends games
Great Support From Microsoft- microsoft constantly works to fix spawn, and patch bug in the server
Xbox Live Interface is Sleek
Wide Variety of Free and Paid Downloadable Content
Great Points System

Ps3: Little Support From Developers Regarding Bugs
UI Can Be Hard To Navigate
Dashboard Doesn't Look as Polished as Xbox Live.

now i will throw some cons about ps3: No Subscription Charge
Web Browser and Search Engine Included
I am making this a fair debate, i will admit Ps3 is amazing sometimes.

Halo may have lost its luster but another thing im not hearing talked about is playstation move vs kinect which is a big feature. As you will see on this website; Kinect adventures as of Jan, 21st 2012 is the 4th best selling game and its for the Xbox platform. In 5th is xbox, Cod MW3 and 6th is PS3 Cod MW3, 8th is xbox Skyrim, 9th coming in close is Ps3 Skyrim, This is global by the way. Ps3 however battlefield is doing very well, better than xbox's version

http://www.vgchartz.com...

Xbox seems to be having great advantage but Ps3 isn't trailing by far i will admit that.

Yes ps3 exclusives like uncharted and Little big planet b as you can see Uncharted is only 21st on the list
and you can see the hardware and soft ware totals to the right show xbox is in the lead by several millions almost.

But when Halo was popular it did well. It sold so much in years. Halo offered the ability to create parts of the maps and gave you endless possibilities. also if you notice Xbox had 13 games in the top sales since Jan 21st 2012 Ps3 had 8 and most of Xbox's 1 in the top 40, the Xbox versions were higher than PS3 versions

Honestly im glad i pay about 39.99 a year to get things earlier, to have quick downloads, and be able to connect to friends and have a great gaming exp.

Now you may try to say Xbox discs mess up or something like that.
I will defend this by saying yes they will mess up but it is the buyers fault. The xbox hard drive is 60 GB. It takes very little GB to install a game to the hard drive. When you buy a game the first thing that should be done is download to your hard drive. i learned the hard way my first year but later noticed my game had three rings around i because i accidentally messed up in putting the game in or moving my xbox. i noticed it still played because i downloaded it to my hard drive when i bought it.

I believe Xbox is truly the better console. I wish my opponent good luck in the debate.
TheRadAdmiral

Pro

I am glad you accepted the debate and I hope it stays clean.

Counter 1) My opponent based the "the edge" to the Xbox on sole opinion:

"My opponent stated that Bluray makes the Ps3 superior as far as picture and sound.
Yea people love blu ray, i have a Ps3 and Xbox and yea they are great but the edge goes to Xbox."

So the edge goes to Xbox why? The truth is, that if you know about Bluray you realize that the edge actually goes to the PS3. Take a look: http://www.engadget.com...

Counter 2) My opponent claims that I said Xbox Live gives you nothing.

"My opponent said paying for Xbox live gives you practically nothing."

That is, in fact, not true. What I did say I will repeat again:

"Xbox Live is a fantastic online experience for your Xbox, if you want to be handing over cash for something that costs the provider nothing."

I think it is safe to say, (I can't cite this, but it makes sense) that Microsoft spends a modest amount running Xbox Live, but with all the revenue it brings in, they are essentially robbing you of your hard earned cash and you're letting them. Now that may seem a little strong, but think about it. Virtual goods cost almost nothing, yet they are a huge market, Especially where Xbox live is concerned. Check out this article that explains all that I've said fairly well.
http://www.forbes.com...

Counter ("PS3 has a terrible security system.")- Consider this: one of the largest online consumer communities on the planet, hacked. Everyone take a collective gasp...now. It's actually not that uncommon. To be perfectly honest, Xbox live is a better service in certain aspects, namely: Earlier add on's, faster downloads, and you pay for it. (Sorry, that was a joke.) But if you are willing to swing to one console or the other based solely on the fact that the network was majorly down once, go with the Xbox and enjoy it when it finally happens to you. (That sounded a little prophetic, but it's bound to happen sometime, take Anonymous for example.)

Counter (Text up to "Halo may have...")- PSN also allows private games or "parties," the same as Xbox Live.
Xbox-
"Incredible Community Experience"-Opinion
"Great Support"-Another Opinion
"Interface is Sleek"-Opinion Number Three!
"Free...Downloadable Content"-I get free demos on my Playstation all the time.
"Points System"-That is pretty cool, I will admit.

PS3-
"Little Support"-Says who? I've never had a problem.
"Hard to Navigate"-In other words; "User Error."
"Dashboard Not as Polished"-Again with the opinions?

Counter (Halo May Have...)- Move vs. Kinect is a huge subject that I was hoping you would bring up. Move is basically wii motion a little bit improved. I'll admit, nothing revolutionary but generally considered fun. Kinect has huge potential and I truly hope it lives up to it. But as we speak, there are no big games for kinect. Where are the shooters, Madden, and racing games? I can't honestly say that I even remotely like Kinect Adventures. In fact I hate it. Although it is true that it sells well, I want to remind my opponent that when the Wii was released Wii Sports was the best seller. And we've all played Wii Sports before, it's safe to say that it gets old really fast.

Counter (You May Try to...)- I definitely wouldn't bring up something that minor. Because 99% of the time it is the users fault. My opponent mentioned drive space, which I will touch on as briefly as this:
Xbox Basic Starting Hard Drive= 4GB
PS3 Basic Starting Hard Drive= 160GB
Nuff said.
Jhate

Con

The xbox community is clearly enjoyable. Not an opinion if you looked at my source you would have seen it broke the record for most people on Xbox live at once. Obviously people enjoy the community more than they dislike it. Its not opinion cause statistics show that more people buy and play on the Xbox community. Virtual goods cost time. Developers use their equipment time and money. So its fair people should pay. Great support is not an opinion. Go to Forum, ask anyone. Microsoft is always up to date and responds quickly to the community. Ive seen it. PS3 leaves glitches and patches open for a longer time then xbox. You say youve never had a problem with suppor, dosent mean someone hasnt.
The xbox dashboard is clearly more organized. Not just an opinion. Its easier to find many things.

My opponent is saying my things are opinianated. They are actually proven and facts stated. You cant have this debate without involving opinions. I bring opinions supported by the communiy of xbox and several things. Simply naming this debate "The playstation 3 is a better console than the Xbox 360" is an opinion so their will be opnion based arguments but i have backed mine up.

Kinect is popular you may not like kinect adventures but its one of the top sellers and its above call of duty.
you stated
"Xbox Basic Starting Hard Drive= 4GB
PS3 Basic Starting Hard Drive= 160GB
Nuff said."

This is invalid. I bought my Xbox and it came with a 60gb hard drive please look up facts.

You failed to argue that xbox games sell more and sell better than ps3 games. Not an opinion i gae my source at the top.

You didnt argue that blue ray movies tend to cost more. Like i said i cant tell the diffrence between Hd and Blu ray. Yes they take our money but in return we get better access.

"Counter ("PS3 has a terrible security system.")- Consider this: one of the largest online consumer communities on the planet, hacked. Everyone take a collective gasp...now. It's actually not that uncommon. "

You stated that ^ It is one of the largest but it has allowed more hacks into the system than Xbox (a larger online community)Yes hacks happen but Xbox patches them earlier than ps3, this is an example of great community support because the community does complain and does patch it first for Xbox.
TheRadAdmiral

Pro

My opponent has done an excellent job throughout this debate on being very fair and straightforward. For that I say Thank you. Now, let round three begin!

Comment ("You can't have this...")- Very excellent Point. Although by saying: "My opponent is saying my things are opinianated. They are actually proven and facts stated," Does Not Make Them Facts. An example may help to prove the point. I may say that I think Obama is the best president ever. (That is not my opinion, but this is just an example.) Just because I say he is, my neighbor says he is, and my uncle in Montana says he is; does not make it proven fact, stated or unstated.

Now, to tie this back into the actual debate. My opponent has said; "PS3 leaves glitches and patches open for a longer time than xbox." Since this claim is not supported in any way, (be it cited or not) it is no longer credible.

My opponent also stated; "Great support is not an opinion. Go to Forum, ask anyone." Going back to my previous example/argument, this statement is also left hanging without any supporting evidence

Counter ("This is invalid...")- I made a crucial error and I am glad my opponent called it up so that I could have a chance to redeem my argument through a citation.
(1) http://www.walmart.com...
(2) http://www.walmart.com...

I would ask my opponent and voters to review the above links and see if in fact these consoles are only 4GB.
"This is invalid. I bought my Xbox and it came with a 60gb hard drive please look up facts.".... Done.

Counter ("You failed to...")- I did not bring up sales of games because the source you gave included only top games, in which I might add; that the ratio is only 13:9 in favor of the Xbox, not a very big spread when all the rest went to Nintendo.

Counter ("You didn't argue...")- The reason I didn't argue it for movies was because there was no argument necessary. But if you insist...

HD DVD and Bluray vary only slightly in disc price, with HD DVD having the advantage. But HD DVD is now a dead format. Unless you are referring to a standard DVD with 1080P output, which is rare and expensive. By the way, when the Xbox says it upscales DVD's into HD, it is not true. A disc reader can't read HD where only SD is written on the disc. If your DVD is miraculously written in HD, then it has the ability to do that. Thus, as far as movies are concerned, PS3 takes the cake with Bluray, simply because there is little to know response from Xbox on the matter.

Now, when it comes to HD vs. Bluray games, The results are the same. Xbox has most of its games in full HD as does PS3. In fact the prices are the exact same! (http://www.walmart.com...;) So PS3 has the advantage because when you buy the console you essentially are getting a "free" Bluray player, something Xbox can't offer.

Counter (You stated ^...")- Sony has a bigger online community than Xbox Live. Not necessarily PSN, but Sony as a company. "Yes hacks happen but Xbox patches them earlier than ps3," Where is your evidence on that? This argument has been based solely on your word, which (as your opponent) isn't credible.

Closing arguments- (The Playstation 3 is better because...)
-It has a built in Bluray Player
-More Hard Drive Space initially and potentially
-Motion sensitive/bluetooth controllers with built in rechargeable battery. (Sixaxis)
-Free online gaming and Internet access
-Better exclusives according to critics: (1)http://segmentnext.com... (2)http://translate.google.de...
-3D Gaming (cue: "Can't touch this")...(Maybe that's a little cocky...)
Jhate

Con

first my opponent claims that the xbox is 4GB, Mine came with a hard drive that has 60 GB and i payed 10 extra. This is what i meant and i wasnt clear.

This debate is about better console. My opponent is mentioning other things like hardware for the console. Now yes i know the definition of a console and i have to say my opponent is not speaking about the gaming efforts of this system. I thank my opponent before i start my counters and opening statement.

"Counter ("You failed to...")- I did not bring up sales of games because the source you gave included only top games, in which I might add; that the ratio is only 13:9 in favor of the Xbox, not a very big spread when all the rest went to Nintendo."

The source i gave was clear on the top games. This is Ps3 vs Xbox but it also matters which one does better in sales which you wont denie Xbox wins.

Blue ray is a great addition i agree but these consoles were detemined to be game consoles.
If you think this isnt true then look at Ps2 which was mainly for gaming and nothing else really. Same for original xbox.

Yes you do pay for xbox but you get exclusives on some games and a better community.A better community can be defined as-more players, more people online.

You can argue it isnt but it is the biggest community.

You can argue ps3 lets you surf web. Xbox does now to but this is irrlevant.Like i said its a gaming system mainly not a computer. People do buy it to play games if they didnt theyd stick with their computer.

My xbox has a 60 gb hard drive. In the last three years i still have Gb's left so i dont need extra room.

You could argue the ps3 games dont break easy. Xbox has a feature where you install games so if they do get scratched you can play anyway.

Xbox wins in things like Bigger community, kids friendly due to parent locks, sales and more

Reasons i beleive Xbox is better:
-you pay for a better expeicene and some times get things earlier
-It was infact voted ebst online community and sorry i dont have a source
-beats ps3 in sales and game version ratio of 13:9
-Great tech support,proven as glitches have lasted longer on ps3 then xbox. Feel free to read forums
-Kinect makes a big diffrence and has the top selling game as of jan 25
-You can surf web
-You can create an avatar
-Its really user friendl yin a creative sense
-high tech security system and hasnt crashed in a while as ps3 had a crash about 3 months ago
-Dashboard very polished since update
-Addons,Demos,game content upload quick and updates
-Xbox live parties were there before ps3 and xbox had it first.
-

My arguements for ps3
Live is free- again we pay for exclusives and add ons a month earlier in circumstances
blu ray- its a game system first, nice addition yes but not that important
Bigger hard drive- refer to my 3 years without all memory gone
Game discs work ebtter-myth xbox you can install games for permanent use unless broken in half
Not many technical issues- true i will give it that
popular exclusive games- Halo has outsold many ps3 exclusives and at one point uncharted
Play station move- look at the kinect and how it outsells even original Wii games when they first came out

Thankyou and i thank my opponent for this debate. :)
Posted by Silentpie19 4 years ago
Silentpie19
One of the last statements of Jhate incorrect, both consoles were not created for gaming purposes solely. The PS3 was created to be a movie player, computer, gaming system, and everything put into one. The PS3 makes almost 51 billion calculations per second vs the Xbox's 33.6 billion.
Posted by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
ashtronomy: i know exactly what you mean, i hate people who buy it and say how great it is and say they are soo good and they havent even played campign -_- its annoying becasue before online the story is all you would have and its worth playing. I had fun with this debate lol
Posted by wittetye 5 years ago
wittetye
XBOX is the best.
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
Ohhh, I see. That's pretty cool! I'm not big into shooter games, but I did like Black Ops. I just bought MW3 because I heard it was even better. I'm into the role playing video games for the most part haha.
Posted by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
all games, im also art of a new gamer channel, RECHSgamerclub :) haha we are new and trying to make videos e have a few, my main games are, Cod, Halo, Madden 12 <3, umm Ufc, Siants row, Gta games like tht
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
You're welcome. Yeah, you still made your point apparent. Which games do you play?
Posted by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
thankyou, i didnt get to post much on the second round becasue my teacher ahd to go to a meeting so he had to lock the room an d i had to submit but i got enough across
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
Oh man, nothing beats Skyrim; that game is out of this world.

Anyway, I have Xbox live. It is a drawback that you have to pay for it, while PS3 fanatics don't spend a dime. This entire debate is a really close call, though. You both make some pretty valid points. Good luck to the both of you!