emospongebob527
Agent_0049

The Playstation 3 is superior when compared to the Xbox 360

Agent_0049

emospongebob527

Pro

This debate is about whether or not the Playstation 3 is superior to the Xbox 360.

1. Acceptance
2. Definitions/Presentation of Main Argument
3 & 4. Rebuttals
5. Resolution/Closing Argument
Agent_0049

Con

I gladly accept this debate. Thank you for the opportunity. Good luck to you, emospongebob527, and to the audience: Vote Con!
emospongebob527

Pro

First off, I would like to point out one of pro's flaws in his R1 post...............

Right off the bat he states "Vote Con" when neither party has presented there arguments. Remarks like that are only for the debate's final round or when an opponent has conceded or forfeited, it is not appropriate to be used at this moment in time.......... Thank You :)

Definitions:
Superior- of higher grade or quality.

Contention 1-
Multimedia Options
Microsoft backed the wrong horse in the media format wars. While Sony included Blu-ray playback in the PlayStation 3 from the beginning, Microsoft stuck with DVD playback and an optional HD-DVD drive. You know how that turned out. Blu-ray won, and the PlayStation 3 is an excellent Blu-ray player.

Contention 2-
Online Services
This is tricky. Both Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network are rich complementary Web-based services with loads of multimedia, matchmaking (as in finding you a viable game opponent, not necessarily a life partner), and streaming media features"and they're both very similar. You can keep lists of friends, talk to them inside and outside of games, and watch services like Netflix and Hulu Plus on both services. PlayStation Network has the advantage here because you can enjoy most of the features without paying for the premium membership (which still offers bonuses like free games and discounts), while Xbox Live still requires a Gold membership to play online and watch streaming services. Xbox Live Gold is also more expensive than PSN Plus, at $24.99 for a three-month subscription and $59.99 for a year-long subscription compared with $17.99 and $49.99 for PSN Plus.

Contention 3-
The Disc Drive
360- 2x read speed (DVD) 8x read speed (DVD)
PS3- 2x read speed (Blu-ray) 7 GB disc space 25 GB disc space

The verdict: The Xbox and PS3 have their own advantages when it comes to disc drives. The Xbox has a significantly higher DVD read speed than the PS3. Comparing the Xbox's DVD read speed to the PS3's Blu-ray read speed, the Xbox maxes out at 15.85 MBps on a single-layer disc while the PS3's maximum is 9 MBps. However, the difference in speed is reduced when the Xbox reads dual-layer discs.
While the PS3's disc drive runs somewhat slower than the Xbox's, it does offer the significantly higher storage capacity that comes with Blu-ray. Current PS3 discs have 25 GB to offer, and a new dual layer format is in the works that may increase this number to 33.4 GB. For most gamers, this storage boost will be far more important than read speed.

Contention 4-
Video Support
With both the current models of both consoles now including standard HDMI ports, the Xbox and PS3 are largely comparable when it comes to video connections. The PS3 outclasses the Xbox in terms of maximum resolution.
While the Xbox's menu screens support 1080p display, Microsoft only requires its games to support 720p. The PS3 features a significant number of games that support 1080p. That's to say nothing of the PS3's support for Blu-ray movies and the growing focus on 3D gaming.

Contention 5-
Audio Support
For gamers relaying on analog sound connections, the Xbox has the advantage of offering Dolby Pro-Logic II in addition to standard stereo. But for those with digital connections, the PS3 wins the day by offering both 5.1 Dolby Digital surround and 7.1 LPCM surround.

Contention 6-
Connectivity
The current PS3 Slim has two USB ports compared to the Xbox's three. Additionally, Sony has removed the Compact Flash and SD card support seen in older models while the Xbox offers support for memory units that can transfer game data and saves.
Despite these advantages on the Xbox, the PS3 still emerges victorious in this category thanks to its support for Bluetooth 2.0.

Contention 7-
The CPU
The processors for the Xbox and PS3 are unique enough in their respective architectures that it can be difficult to make direct comparisons. However, the numbers don't lie.

The two CPU chips run at the same GHz speed, but the PS3's seven individual cores beat out the Xbox's three dual-threaded cores. And in terms of performance measured in gigaflops, the PS3 tops out at nearly three times that of the Xbox.
Interestingly, the new combined CPU/GPU chip used in the new Xbox 360 is theoretically faster than the individual chips in older models. But in order to ensure proper functionality, Microsoft was forced to install a "frontside bus replacement block" that introduces latency and forces the chip to run at the same speed as the older model. This new combined chip may edge out the PS3's CPU in terms of reliability and temperature control, but no long term tests have been performed yet.

Contention 8-
RAM
The Xbox's total amount of RAM is slightly misleading, as the system RAM and video RAM are shared. The PS3's XDR RAM is also far more fast and efficient than the Xbox's GDDR3 RAM, running at a speed of 3.2 GHz compared to 700 MHz.
Final bandwidth numbers prove PS3 is the victor in this category.

Contention 9-
Hard Drive
One of the changes made to the Xbox 360 'Slim' is that arcade models now include a 4 GB SSD drive for data storage rather than requiring gamers to rely on memory units. With the PS3, a hard drive is included in both models. The HDD units in both consoles are largely similar, both running at 400 rpm and now offering several hundred GB of storage. The high-end PS3 models offers a 320 GB HDD compared to the Xbox's 250 GB version.
However, the PS3's true advantage is its support of standard 2.5" SATA notebook hard drives. Users can upgrade the PS3's hard drive with drives that have higher capacities and faster rpm speeds, while the Xbox only supports Microsoft's proprietary HDD model.

Conclusion- The PS3 functions seem superior in performance and satisfaction...... Although 360 people view the 360 as that "that ol' gets the job done machine'........ The materialism held within support for things that "just get the job done" is very irrational....... And we all know that today....... Going above and beyond is better than just getting the job done..........
Agent_0049

Con

Thank you for your response. Since this is my round to present my arguments and definitions, as you clearly defined in round one, I will do so and I will address your contentions in Round 3. First, however, I would like to point out my position in this debate. As the debater on the "Con" side, my goal is to show that the Playstation 3 is not superior to the Xbox 360. Thus, I must show that the Xbox is equal to or superior to the Playstation 3. With this in mind, I shall proceed to my definitions.

[Definitions]
I would accept Pro's definition of "Superior" as one definition of the word. Another is as follows:
Superior - greater in quantity or amount

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[Arguments]
1) Price:
In terms of price, the Xbox 360 has been cheaper than the PS3 since either console has been released - the Xbox having kept a difference of at least slightly under fifty dollars from the PS3. While the price of the PS3 has significantly dropped from where it was, it has also been stripped of many components.

2) Processing Power:
When it comes down to how well the two systems can run games and perform other similar functions, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are very close. However, having been out for longer, thus allowing producers to format their games to fit the console better, the Xbox 360 is able to run most games smoother than the PS3 (1).

3) Game Selection:
With many games being cross-platform in design, and console specific games being left up to personal preference (many of them being very similar), neither console would come out on top of the other (1). As a secondary note on this topic, the Xbox 360 has a greater total number of games with a greater number of them having a review score of 70 or higher (2). The specific numbers are:

With a Metacritic review score of 70 or higher:
Xbox 360: 294 games
PS3: 181 games

4) Sales:
"Microsoft's Xbox 360 console continues to dominate US console sales, according to new data from the NPD Group. Microsoft announced today that in July 2012, it sold 203,000 Xbox 360 units in the US.

In Microsoft's blog post, it states this marks the 19th straight month that the Xbox 360 was the number one best selling game console in the US, and the 17th straight month that the Xbox 360 held more than a 40 percent share of the game console market in the US. Microsoft said that the total amount spent on Xbox 360 hardware and software in July was $218 million. However, the unit sales number for July were down for the Xbox 360 compared to July 2011, when the company said it sold 277,000 units" (3).

Of course, this makes the Xbox 360 superior in sales and also likely means that more people chose to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3.

[Conclusion]
In conclusion, the Xbox 360 is, in many ways, equal to or superior to the PS3 including some stated by Pro in their opening argument. As I stated earlier, I will be addressing Pro's list of contentions in Round 3. Thank you, again, and good luck in your rebuttal.

[Sources]
(1) http://www.pcmag.com...
(2) http://www.siliconera.com...
(3) http://www.neowin.net...
emospongebob527

Pro

Rebuttals-

"In terms of price, the Xbox 360 has been cheaper than the PS3 since either console has been released - the Xbox having kept a difference of at least slightly under fifty dollars from the PS3. While the price of the PS3 has significantly dropped from where it was, it has also been stripped of many components."

As observable in many PS3 vs. Xbox 360 debates, the 360 holds superiority in Price but this is its only stronghold, the PS3 is superior in many other categories:

Such as:
Multimedia Options
Online Services
The Disc Drive
Video Support
Audio Support
Connectivity
The CPU
RAM
Hard Drive

"2) Processing Power:
When it comes down to how well the two systems can run games and perform other similar functions, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are very close. However, having been out for longer, thus allowing producers to format their games to fit the console better, the Xbox 360 is able to run most games smoother than the PS3 (1)."

Con claims that the 360 is more superior in its processing power and claims processing power has to do with which one has been out longer, this is not true..............

Processing Power-
Often known as CPU power, CPU cycles, and various other names, processing power is the ability of a computer to manipulate data. Processing power varies with the architecture (and clock speed) of the CPU " usually CPUs with higher clock speeds and those supporting larger word sizes have more processing power than slower CPUs supporting smaller word sizes.

The verdict: The processors for the Xbox and PS3 are unique enough in their respective architectures that it can be difficult to make direct comparisons. However, the numbers don't lie.

"With many games being cross-platform in design, and console specific games being left up to personal preference (many of them being very similar), neither console would come out on top of the other (1). As a secondary note on this topic, the Xbox 360 has a greater total number of games with a greater number of them having a review score of 70 or higher (2). The specific numbers are:

Xbox 360: 294 games
PS3: 181 games"

Xbox 360-
There are currently 930 (multiplatform: 721; exclusive: 127; console exclusive: 82) games on this list as of September 27th, 2012.

Playstation 3-
There are currently 760 games (multiplatform: 615; exclusive: 137; console exclusive: 8) and 15 cancelled games on this list as of July 25, 2012.

As seen above, it is evident that there are more Xbox 360 than PS3 games, so considering there are more 360 games than PS3 games, it is more likely that there will be more 360 games that have a Metacritic score of 70 or higher. So just because the 360 has more games with a score of 70+, this doesn't mean that the games are superior.........
Reason:
1. The 360 is older.
2. Therefore, it has been on the market longer.
3. Therefore, it will have more games than the PS3.
4. Therefore, it will have more games with a Metacritic score of 70+.

Of course, this makes the Xbox 360 superior in sales and also likely means that more people chose to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3."

Con claims the 360 is superior to the PS3 because it has higher sales...........
This is probably due to this:

Xbox 360-
The Xbox 360 was released in America on November 22, 2005.

Playstation 3-
The Playstation 3 was released in America on November 17, 2006

As seen above it is evident that the 360 is older than the PS3, so considering one was released before the other, it is more likely that the 360 will have more sales than the PS3 because it has been on the market longer. So just because the 360 has had more sales than the PS3 does not make it superior.
Reason:
1. The 360 has been on the market longer.
2. Therefore, it will have more sales than the PS3.
3. Therefore, it is not superior.

Conclusion: I have refuted all of Con's Round Two arguments......... My argument still stands.

http://wiki.answers.com...
http://wiki.answers.com... come_out
http://www.centos.org...
http://www.ign.com...
Agent_0049

Con

I thank my opponent for his response and I will address his rebuttals at the end of this round, should I have enough space, or at the beginning of Round 4, should I run out of space. First, however, I will address his contentions seeing as that I stated I would do so in Round 2. Allons-y!

[Rebuttals]

#1: "While Sony included Blu-ray playback in the PlayStation 3 from the beginning, Microsoft stuck with DVD playback and an optional HD-DVD drive."

~One thing my opponent does not take into account here is that Blu-ray is only one media option in a ever-growing pool. In terms of file compatibility, for example, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are the same. They have both introduced DivX in updates after release, while "neither system supports more esoteric file formats like MKV or VOB video files, or FLAC for lossless audio" (4).

#2A: "Both Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network are rich complementary Web-based services with loads of multimedia, matchmaking (as in finding you a viable game opponent, not necessarily a life partner), and streaming media features"and they're both very similar. You can keep lists of friends, talk to them inside and outside of games, and watch services like Netflix and Hulu Plus on both services."

#2B: "Xbox Live Gold is also more expensive than PSN Plus, at $24.99 for a three-month subscription and $59.99 for a year-long subscription compared with $17.99 and $49.99 for PSN Plus."

~The first part of my opponent's second contention (2a) supports my position by listing ways that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are the same, so I will say no more on the subject.

~The second part of my opponent's second contention (2B) lists the price of the two services, however, it is possible to find one-year Xbox Live subscriptions that only cost thirty-five dollars, providing a scenario in which Xbox Live has a cheaper cost (5).

#3A: "The Xbox and PS3 have their own advantages when it comes to disc drives. The Xbox has a significantly higher DVD read speed than the PS3. Comparing the Xbox's DVD read speed to the PS3's Blu-ray read speed, the Xbox maxes out at 15.85 MBps on a single-layer disc while the PS3's maximum is 9 MBps. However, the difference in speed is reduced when the Xbox reads dual-layer discs."

#3B: "it does offer the significantly higher storage capacity that comes with Blu-ray."

~The first part of my opponent's third contention (3a) supports my position by listing ways that the Xbox 360 is superior to the PS3, so I will say no more on the subject.

~I will not argue against the storage capacity difference, however, in the presence of many areas in which the Xbox 360 is superior in this category, it is illogical to say that the PS3 is superior in this category. Comparatively, in fact, the Xbox 360 and the PS3 would be equal since both console has an area in which it is superior.

#4: "While the Xbox's menu screens support 1080p display, Microsoft only requires its games to support 720p. The PS3 features a significant number of games that support 1080p. That's to say nothing of the PS3's support for Blu-ray movies and the growing focus on 3D gaming."

~Despite the number of high resolution games that the PS3 supports, my opponent - or rather, the article he took all of his contentions from - was incorrect in their statement regarding the Xbox. The Xbox 360 can, in fact, support games at 1080p and the details are explained in the referenced article (6). Furthermore, my opponent merely states that "the PS3 features a significant number of games that support 1080p" and fails to compare this to the Xbox 360.

#5: "For gamers relaying on analog sound connections, the Xbox has the advantage of offering Dolby Pro-Logic II in addition to standard stereo. But for those with digital connections, the PS3 wins the day by offering both 5.1 Dolby Digital surround and 7.1 LPCM surround."

~My opponent argues both sides of the debate in this contention. Since both sides offer one way either console is superior to the other I will not debate against this contention and assume that my opponent and I are in agreement that the two consoles are equal in this area.

#6: "The current PS3 Slim has two USB ports compared to the Xbox's three. Additionally, Sony has removed the Compact Flash and SD card support seen in older models while the Xbox offers support for memory units that can transfer game data and saves.
Despite these advantages on the Xbox, the PS3 still emerges victorious in this category thanks to its support for Bluetooth 2.0."

~My opponent lists ways in which the Xbox is superior to the PS3 in the first part of his sixth contention. He then proceeds to say that the PS3 is superior simply because it has "Bluetooth 2.0." However, having superiority over the Xbox 360 in one area - especially when presented with many more ways in which the Xbox 360 is superior to the PS3 - does not make the PS3 the superior console in this category.

#7: "The two CPU chips run at the same GHz speed, but the PS3's seven individual cores beat out the Xbox's three dual-threaded cores. And in terms of performance measured in gigaflops, the PS3 tops out at nearly three times that of the Xbox."

~It is difficult to argue with numbers, however, given that these are two very different architecture styles, it is unfair to use these numbers to say that the PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360. "In reality, it's quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU's the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU's on the PS3" (7).

#8: "The Xbox's total amount of RAM is slightly misleading, as the system RAM and video RAM are shared. The PS3's XDR RAM is also far more fast and efficient than the Xbox's GDDR3 RAM, running at a speed of 3.2 GHz compared to 700 MHz.
Final bandwidth numbers prove PS3 is the victor in this category."

~What this really comes down to, is what games you are playing because the Xbox 360 is going to outshine the PS3 in some cases. "Basically, if the CPU only needs 128mb of RAM, then the GPU has the rest" (8). With 512 mb of RAM available, the Xbox 360 would then have 384mb of RAM available for the GPU, whereas the PS3 is still locked at 256mb RAM for either function.

#9: "the PS3's true advantage is its support of standard 2.5" SATA notebook hard drives. Users can upgrade the PS3's hard drive with drives that have higher capacities and faster rpm speeds, while the Xbox only supports Microsoft's proprietary HDD model."

~I will not argue against the PS3 having better methods of upgrading, however, considering I have proven most of the other contentions either wrong or in my favor, this is my opponents only valid point.

[Addressing Round 2]

Since I do not have much space left, I will split this up between this round and the next. I will address the first of my opponents rebuttals, and I will address the rest in Round 4. To save space I will not quote my opponent's rebuttal.

#1: My opponent agrees with my first contention regarding price. He attempts to use unrelated facts to disprove it, however, he makes no valid argument against it.

[Conclusion]

One thing I will address in Round 4 - other than my opponents second round of rebuttals - is the faulty logic he used in regards to my third and fourth contentions. I will also address how my opponent may have misunderstood my second contention.

To conclude, I will simply state that I have proven eight of nine of my opponents contentions wrong or shown them to mainly favor my side.

Good luck in Round 4.

[Sources]

(4) http://www.digitaltrends.com...
(5) http://www.ibtimes.com...
(6) http://editorials.teamxbox.com...
(7) http://www.hardcoreware.net...
(8) http://www.mmntech.com...
emospongebob527

Pro

I concede.

You win.
Agent_0049

Con

Well, it is unfortunate that our debate had to end this way.

To move the debate along quickly, I would ask that you reply in Round 5 and I will do the same.

Thank you for an interesting debate, emospongebob, and good luck in your other ones.

Vote Con.
emospongebob527

Pro

Vote Con.
Agent_0049

Con

Thanks again.
Posted by Agent_0049 4 years ago
Agent_0049
Wow...
That was a lot...

I only had three characters left...
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
9 contentions, we got a badas@ over here!
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
emospongebob527Agent_0049Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded.