IAlwaysLoseDebates
Relativist

The Playstation 4 is a superior to the Xbox One in gaming standards

Relativist
Started: 3/5/2014 Category: Games

IAlwaysLoseDebates

Pro

I believe that the PlayStation 4 is superior to the Xbox One for gaming. Round one will be acceptance.Round two will be argument, while round three will be rebuttal/closing statement.
Relativist

Con

I accept, I will be arguing that Xbox One is superior to Playstation 4 on gaming standards. Since the resolution is loosely defined, here are the definitions and explanations.

Gaming(1)
"Gaming is the running of specialized applications known as electronic games, especially on machines designed for such programs and, in a more recent trend, using personal computers on the Internet in which case the activity is known as online gaming"

Standard(2)
" a level of quality, achievement, etc., that is considered acceptable or desirable"

Since consoles are tending to be more like PCs, it is justifiable that I argue beyond what the definition dictates, as it is only confined to 'electronic games'. Categories that should be taken into consideration (besides electronic games) are Specs, Applications and Services offered by both companies. I will argue how Xbox one is superior in each category. Without further a due, I invite Pro to present his case.

(1)http://whatis.techtarget.com...
(2)http://www.merriam-webster.com...
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Pro

thank you for accepting this debate, Relativist. I would like to begin this debate by stating that as this generation of gamers are advancing, so are the consoles. Yes, they are becoming more like computers but still have that gaming feel that makes people prefer a console. Both of the new platforms for both consoles are superior to there earlier relatives in the gaming tree. Keeping it between the new generation consoles the PlayStation 4 has a 8-core Jaguar processor as the Xbox One does as well, yet the PlayStation 4 runs DDR5 and the Xbox One runs DDR3. As game developers continue there advances in game graphics and different methods to play the DDR5 will allow them to advance while the older DDR3 will be not preferred to base games on.
Another thing that the consoles have in common is online membership. As PlayStation Plus is not required for single player games, Xbox Live is needed just to sign in and play even single player games that have no online function. Although, if you buy PlayStation Plus you get exclusive offers, free monthly games and price reductions on many things in the PlayStation store, while the Xbox Live service only offers price cuts once in a while.
So far in the releases of the consoles the PlayStation has had more exclusives and announced more exclusives than their opponent, the Xbox One.

Sources: Wikipedia.org
Game Informer
IGN
Relativist

Con

I'd like to express my gratitude to IAlwaysLoseDebates for the generous introduction and for presenting arguments. Before I begin, I'd like to clarify a few things.

Resolution
As I said earlier(In R1),I will be arguing beyond the context of 'electronic games' because the definition given is outdated. I also said categories to be taken into considerations without specifying them. For the sake of this debate, I will agree with Pro's proposal and will attempt to argue for Xbox One's case while floating on the same topic as Pro

PRO's given resolution
Pro said and I quote " Yes, they are becoming more like computers but still have that GAMING FEEL that makes people prefer a console."

The debate should then revolve around 'gaming feel'. Pro made several arguments which includes specs and a range of exclusive games between Ps4 and Xbox One, all of which are within the boundaries of 'gaming feel'

I ask that the outcome of the debate to be judged based on these categories alone:
1.Specs
2.List of Current Games on both consoles
3.Services( PSN plus and Xbox GOLD Memberships)

All of these categories have to be argued based on 'gaming'.

Arguments:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ownership of Games renders Rental Gaming obsolete

In order to compete with PSN , Xbox live is currently releasing free games for gold members. .One such example is The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 as it was given free(1) just 3 months prior to its release date. Not only that, games such as dead island,toy soldiers have recently been given free to gold members(2). Microsoft are giving 2 free games every month(3). It is important to note that this is not something new, as it has been an ongoing trend for microsoft.

What then,Or where does the similarity ends?
This is where Microsoft currently have the edge, PSN+ free games are RENTAL, so once a particular membership ends, your 'free game' is no longer playable(4). Whereas Microsoft only needs your subscription at the time of the offered free game. Once a transaction has been made, the game is held by your Xbox Live account forever,in which case, owned instead of rental.
Exclusive Offers
Playstation exclusives have been poor so far, what with Killzone: ShadowFall being dismissed by the great Angry Joe for being a 'generic' shooter with an uninspiring storyline(5). It did not perform as what was expected by Next Gen Gaming

Xbox have a better range of exclusives offered, namely Titanfall, Halo, Forza 5. The titanfall beta alone showed promising gameplay over its Killzone counterpart despite not having singleplayer(6). It is obvious that in our current situation, Microsoft's exclusives are better than Playstation. There are other exclusives, but on the premise of this debate, I will only argue what is available in store currently.

Specs
I can go through a list by adopting a fan boy approach, since that is not regarded as a substantial position, I will take the 'middle' approach between these consoles.

It essentially boils down to how the developers utilize Next Gen Consoles, regardless of what spec a console holds, the developers are responsible for using and utilizing a console to its fullest potential.

Simply put,
"As with the current Xbox 360 vs PS3 battle, which console has prettier graphics will vary from game-to-game, and generally the difference is not that great. It's all down to the way games are made."(7)

Rebuttals will be presented on the third round as per our agreement in R1.

I'd like to thank IAlwaysLoseDebates for instigating this topic as it revolves around my entertainment life.

(1)http://majornelson.com...
(2)http://tinyurl.com...
(3)https://www.gamepointsnow.com...
(4)https://support.us.playstation.com...
(5)http://angryjoeshow.com...
(6)http://reviews.cnet.com...
(7)http://www.trustedreviews.com...
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Pro

I respect your argument, but I have access to a PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. You have stated, "It is important to note that this is not something new, as it has been an ongoing trend for Microsoft." Although that statement is not true if you are referring to the Xbox 360 version of Xbox Live Gold membership. In the last three months pre Xbox One release there were no Xbox Live exclusive games, so it is more of an "upcoming trend" while PlayStation Plus has been giving free games for the Playstation 3 console and including PlayStation 4 ever since the prescription was offered, while Xbox Live only offered small indie games with small features such as price cuts like I have stated in my previous statement. You also said that the games offered through PS Plus are "Rentals" which they are not. You will always have them on the system. The prescription acts as a kind of license ( but is not one, but has properties as.) You said that even if you don't have Xbox Live you can still play games, but you are incorrect, mainly because as I stated earlier if you don't have Xbox Live you cannot play any games because of account settings not allowing you to sign in without Xbox Live and you need to be on a account to play any games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have also stated, "It essentially boils down to how the developers utilize Next Gen Consoles, regardless of what spec a console holds, the developers are responsible for using and utilizing a console to its fullest potential." So if they used both consoles "full Potential" they would have more freedom and possibilities on the PlayStation 4, and I will grant that the Xbox One does have kinect capability, it is not preferred for a controller based game. while the Playstation 4 controller has many capabilities than the Xbox One controller. Many game developers have said that the Playstation is a easier console to make platform games for. Sony did this on purpose as they said at their E3 presentation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for this great debate and I hope that you have enjoyed it as much as I. Once again thank you Relativist, for accepting this hot topic debate.
Relativist

Con

Thanks to IAlwaysLoseDebates for presenting his rebuttals. I will now offer mine.

PRO's DRM Policy Argument

The Majority of his argument involves the issue of DRM policies.
Pro argued "...As PlayStation Plus is not required for single player games, Xbox Live is needed just to sign in and play even single player games that have no online function".
In his R3 he said "...mainly because as I stated earlier if you don't have Xbox Live you cannot play any games because of account settings not allowing you to sign in without Xbox Live and you need to be on a account to play any games"

While Pro was continuing his DRM argument, The Xbox website states "An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games"(1). This statement has been posted since June 19,2013(1). Moreover, Microsoft have dropped the majority of its DRM policies, his argument is outdated.

Pro asserts this without a proper source, with only trademarks of the involved companies as his argument in R1. The resolution is nullified.
Pro's PS4 Sales & Exclusives argument

Pro made several claims about how PS4 offers were better than Xbox as he states "...if you buy PlayStation Plus you get exclusive offers, free monthly games and price reductions on many things in the PlayStation store, while the Xbox Live service only offers price cuts once in a while." He repeated it in R3 "..Xbox Live ONLY offered small indie games with small features such as price cuts like I have stated in my previous statement" with an emphasize that Xbox Live only offers price cuts on cheap indie games

His argument was not properly backed by sources. There were contradicting evidences with his resolution. Here is why.

On Sales and Price Cuts, Xbox is currently offering price cuts weekly(2) as part of the deal of the week plan, this includes free on-demand games as well. I seriously question the validity when he said that Xbox offers only small discounts, when clearly deals are exquisite.

On exclusive offers,My contention was offered in R2 and he completely dropped it. He ignored how Killzone was a terrible experience for PS loyalists, including the success of Titanfall.

On the issue of Rentals, yes of course the game still remains in your console, it is illogical to force delete games should one's membership expire. My contention is that you are unable to play PSN+ free games once your membership ends.My Opponent seems to be confused on how the system works for PSN+ users. It is very easy, Xbox offers free ownership while PS+ offers free rental.
The rest of his rebuttal arguments essentialy bogs down to "PS4 controller is far superior, thus Developers will choose PS4 over Xbox One" .Without a proper comparison and proper evidence to support, his argument holds no credibility whatsoever. It is very simplistic to isolate other variables and too stereotypical to assume that developers will lean on PS 4 because they have better controllers

The majority of my arguments still stand as my opponent lacks proper sources to refute them, with some of his arguments outdated particularly on the issue of DRM. I have provided well sourced rebuttals against his arguments especially on sales.Thank you so much to my opponent for debating this, as a newbie on this website, it has been a wonderful first impression.I urge voters to leave their opinions behind when deciding who wins in this debate.

Thank you and have a nice day.

(1)http://news.xbox.com...
(2)http://www.joystiq.com...
Posted by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
You should have put that in the debate haha, its all subjective in that case. You Would have denounced my argument as opinions don't matter. Somewhat leaning to PS4 after this debate. I might just switch. That DRM policy is really depressing, thanks for bringing that up. I had fun btw and I am looking forward for more debates on knowledge as time goes. Thanks again
Posted by IAlwaysLoseDebates 3 years ago
IAlwaysLoseDebates
I never brought up the opinionated topic of Killzone and Titanfall because there is a OPINION of the games, you said that Killzone was a terrible experience for Playstation loyalist while I have the game and play it very avidly with many friends. Titanfall is also good but has properties that resembles Call of Duty and I do see incredible changes, but when it comes down to the core thing to do in the game it is just "shoot" whether with a gun or in a titan. In a argument I tend to not bring up opinion because I believe that the voters should grow their own over hearing someone elses. I could of brought up sales between consoles but did not because many people bought their console of choice because of their previous console. Even if you say that the PS4 controller is inferior to the kinect it always boils down to the specs of the console, which the Playstation 4 has been made for gaming, while the Xbox One has been made for all around entertainment, and moves away from pure gaming. Please do not consider this in the voting process I wanted to make it clear so my words were not twisted.
Posted by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
Thanks IAlwaysLoseDebates for instigating this resolution.Apologies if the resolution is confusing, I will make it clear by agreeing with you on the second round
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
IAlwaysLoseDebatesRelativistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a more compelling case and had more accessible sources.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
IAlwaysLoseDebatesRelativistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Con's arguments were backed by reliable sources.