ethanfp582
SnaxAttack

The Pledge of Allegiance is disrespectful!

SnaxAttack

ethanfp582

Con

The Pledge of Allegiance has no purpose. I always hated it, forcing every kid in the classroom to say "one nation under God." Those who don't believe in God could find this offensive. The phrase "Under God" wasn't even in the original Pledge of Allegiance. Sure students don't have to say it if they don't want to, but in the younger grades, God is subliminally put in your head. And when you are that young, you don't even think that you can't say it. There was a student never said the Pledge of Allegiance, and everyday he would get in trouble. He would go to the office, and not care that he was written up. This was in a public school. The PoA needs to stop, or at least have the phrase "under god" cropped out of it.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Saying the Pledge of Alleigiance is not that hard. You just stand up, place your hand over your heart, and say the phrase; that is it. Not complicated at all! Also with he saying of "Under God", we must remember that the country of the United States was found by the Christian belief so it obviously descended from that idea. Like my opponent even said "Sure students don't have to say it if they don't want to, but in the younger grades, God is subliminally put in your head". You don't even have to say it if you don't believe it simple as that; but you should show some respect for the country you live in. My opponent claims that it subliminally puts God into childrens minds. For this statement we must remember the idea that its the childs decision of what to believe in. If they choose to believe in God, let them do it; but why worry about a child having God in his head? The childs thought will probably change as years go by and if it doesn't; so what? Let the child believe what they want!
ethanfp582

Con

It doesn't matter how easy it is to say "Under God." It is. It shouldn't matter that the US was founded on the Christian belief; we are way past that now. I understand, however, that saying the Pledge is in respect for your country. The verses of the original pledge had no "under god" in it. We should be using that one. And, as you can understand, young kids don't believe independently. They believe whatever their parents believe. The founding fathers knew America would be a huge breadbasket, with many different religions and races, so it really wasn't built on Christianity. It was built in a way that let people believe what they wanted to.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Quoted by my opponent last round "Sure students don't have to say it if they don't want to" under the statement about "Under God", so what is the issue? My opponent said you don't have to say it, in which if you don't; that is your choice, so in reality there is no disrespect about the PoA if its your decision to say "Under God". My opponent even agrees with me about respecting the country, with the quote: "I understand, however, that saying the Pledge is in respect for your country". So how is the Pledge disrespecting our country even though the flag is a symbol for those who have fallen for our country? The Pledge of Alleigiance is used as an "anthem" for showing our respect to our country.

For children believing what their parents believe, whats the issue with that? Its their decision, and you really cannot get involved on what they believe. Once more, even if you don't believe the portion about "Under God", you can avoid saying that and still show respect to the country.
ethanfp582

Con

Even though we choose whether to say it or not, the issue is that we are taught it at all. It just doesn't seem fair. How many little kids choose not to say it, even if they don't believe in God? None. They all say it, because they don't know better.
In no way is the pledge disrespecting our country, it's disrespecting the people in our country.
Yes, you can avoid saying it and still show respect to the country.
Once again, I'm not talking about the Pledge disrespecting the country, I'm talking about the Pledge disrespecting the people of the country.
Good argument and Good luck.
SnaxAttack

Pro

My opponent says "The issue is that we are taught it at all. It just doesn't seem fair. How many little kids choose not to say it, even if they don't believe in God? None. They all say it, because they don't know better". Following my opponents idea he is saying that anything we are taught should be gone. You may not agree with a belief, but that doesn't mean its disrespectful. Its like liking milk and someone getting offended because of hating milk. We all have beliefs and that shouldn't mean it is disrespectful. Just because kids follow it doesn't mean that is "bad". That is their decision and you can't control it.

My opponent then says "In no way is the pledge disrespecting our country, it's disrespecting the people in our country". My opponents flaw is he failed to define the type of disrespect were talking about, which results in the word implying anywhere. And my opponent even admits it doesn't disrespect the country saying "In no way is the pledge disrespecting our country".
Posted by Jenima 1 year ago
Jenima
I know right! So annoying, damn.
Vote Placed by Brendan_Liam 1 year ago
Brendan_Liam
ethanfp582SnaxAttackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were deeply ridden with fallacies. While the nature of "disrespect" wasn't clearly defined in the debate, Con seemed to rely on slogans, not reason. "Love it or leave it?" "respect your country?" such concepts are the ANTITHESIS of the US.... further neither side knew about the history here (pro a little) but like the fact that it is CHRISTIANS that challenged it in every big case-jehovah's witnesses, and those arguments would have been useful to both sides...
Vote Placed by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
ethanfp582SnaxAttackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just saying, Con technically should have chosen the position Pro as affirming the resolution that the PoA is disrespectful, anyways that's not important. So my RFD was con was able to convince me that the PoA was disrespectful to the kids that are forced to say it whom do not believe in what they are saying. For the most part Pro just stated it isn't hard to do and it respects the country. This isn't relevant to the debate and because of that I give the vote to Con.