Rexrawr
Stonewall

The Pokemon TCG is a better TCG then Yugioh.

Started: 10/8/2013 Category: Games

Rexrawr

Pro

I am going to let my opponent start the argument about this and end it. I will thank you in advance for accepting the topic and good luck to whoever may accept it.
Stonewall

Con

I'll start by saying why the Pokémon trading card game (PTCG) is inferior to the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game (YTCG).

What makes the Pokemon franchise so enjoyable in the first place is the idea of raising these animals with specific traits and attacks and keeping them all together in a battle-like sense. With the PTCG, all of this essentially goes out the door. Moves are limited, levels are limited, and all specific traits are limited where the video game would have free reign. When the card game is over, there is nothing to show for it- you simply have to hope you can evolve your Pokemon at the right time later. Furthermore, Pokemon available are limited. On top of this, the card game involves many attributes which are excessive, unnecessary, and needlessly complicated.

The YTCG is simply what it always was- a card game. There are no boundaries to the cards that can be made, as there are no prior requirements or criteria for each card. This provides a world of opportunities and countless strategies, whereas with the PTCG, there are relatively few cards that must be kept together to have any coherent strategy. On top of this, the basic gameplay is much more simple to understand, and is thus enjoyable for all ages. I once taught my grandma how to play, in fact, when I was a wee tyke.

As a franchise, Pokemon takes the cake. No contest. But simply based on the TCG, Yu-Gi-Oh! wins hands down.
Rexrawr

Pro

Alright, I'll start off with some refutations. You say then PTCG is very complicated with unneeded aspects but just look at Yugioh and all of this fusion and tribute summoning and all of that which makes it furthermore complicated then Pokemon. Pokemon is a way easier TCG to learn then Yugioh is. And you said that all the attacks are limited but in Yugioh there's only one attack with ATK power. Also please name some unnecessary and excessive attributes of Pokemon. You also stated that there are many strategies in Yugioh but there is so many in Pokemon such as the popular Garbodor strategy or Darkrai and its damage spreading. How is Pokemon limited? There are so many cards that are unique and the aspect is so much easier to understand then Yugioh ever will be. On to my points. Pokemon is an easier game to understand. As a kid I would always play the Pokemon TCG and loved it. However, that being said, I also played Yugioh but that took a little while to fully understand and it just wasn't as appealing. Pokemon also has furthermore card events then. Yugioh does and it's community is way better. Every year Pokemon has official tournaments for both the video game and the TCG.Tons of people go and participate and it's so much fun. The winner always gets a big prize and it goes on until the world championships where everyone from around the world who has won in there hometown and nationals gather to participate in a worldwide tournament. As you see Pokemon is way more supportive then Yugioh and an all around better TCG.
Stonewall

Con

From Bulbanews: "A Pok"mon card shows not only the name and picture of the Pok"mon, but also a page from its Pok"dex entry, its HP, Type, Weakness, Resistance, Ability, attacks it can use (along with possible attack effects), retreat cost, artist name and its evolutionary stage," and even their height and weight. Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, on the other hand, have "the monster"s name, ATK (attack points), DEF (defense points), Attribute, Type and type of monster card, leaving a larger space for the picture." That much info on the Pokemon card is notably unnecessary.

In the PTCG, cards are retired on a regular basis. You can't use cards from older sets because of constantly changing rules and regulations. What kind of card game changes its rules on a regular basis? In the YTCG, you can use the oldest with no change. Admittedly, there are certain restrictions on cards (to prevent the games from ending too quickly) but this is much preferable to having cards retired entirely regularly.

You also bring up PTCG championships. That's all fine and dandy, but the YTCG is, according to Guiness World Records, the top-selling TCG of all time. That leaves more than a few people to play with. By the way, there are still YTCG championships as well, so that doesn't really count for anything.

And I'm letting the difficulty thing go- that's totally subjective.
Rexrawr

Pro

Again with some refutations, firstly, you stated the Pokemon games changes rules where you can not use the older cards and how the game is played also is slightly changed. But, this is a good thing because it provides a more unique experience, You also brought up all the text on the Pokemon card but that just educates the player on the Pokemon and doesn't apply to battling and is just something unique and fun to read and look at. As I stated Pokemon also involves many countless strategies like you said with Yugioh.

On to my points. First Yugioh is far more complex due to all of the tribute summoning and the fusion summoning and along with the special summoning in the game itself. Pokemon is not as complex because you can summon any basic card you want during your turn and can evolve any Pokemon you have out once per turn as long as its the proper card and you have a had that Pokemon out for more then one turn. Sure there are lots of things in Pokemon like the EX cards that may sound confusing but really it's just a more amped up version of the original card with a better reward if you happen to knock it out.

Second although you say the Yugioh TCG is the biggest, Pokemon has had a bigger following and is the older of the two and is far more superior.

Conclusion:
I hope you have come to realize the Pokemon TCG is far more superior then the Yugioh TCG.

Thank you and good luck. Glad to debate with you.
Stonewall

Con

- "...you stated the Pokemon games changes rules where you can not use the older cards and how the game is played also is slightly changed. But, this is a good thing because it provides a more unique experience..."

That doesn't make any sense though. The game changes its rules regularly, and is thus "more unique"? Anyone with a lick of common sensr can trll you how desparate an attempt that is at refuting the point.

- "You also brought up all the text on the Pokemon card but that just educates the player on the Pokemon and doesn't apply to battling and is just something unique and fun to read and look at."

I just said it was "notably unnecessary." Which is true, as you yourself seem to agree with.

"Second although you say the Yugioh TCG is the biggest, Pokemon has had a bigger following and is the older of the two and is far more superior."

YTCG has a bigger following, but PTCG has a bigger following? Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? The fact that it's older doesn't matter in the slightest, and has nothing to do with being superior.

Furthermore, summoning is YTCG's equivalent of evolving, so that means nothing for difficulty.

Remember, voters, vote on the argument, not preference. Thanks to my opponent for the debate. I enjoyed it very much.
Posted by NegativeZer0 3 years ago
NegativeZer0
The pokemon tcg, put simply, is a rich kids game. Sure both franchises require you to buy overpriced pieces of paper, but with yugioh cards don't expire, they don't get replaced with new better ones. With pokemon, it's who can buy the best cards now. And I'm not saying you won't want to update your yugioh deck, but you don't have to have the newest cards to win.
The reason it's so easy for a yugioh player to say that the game is easy to play is because we grew up with it. The game started out incredibly easy to play and master but jump ahead roughly ten years and there have been so many rule changes and add ons, when you take a step back, there is a lot to keep in your head. I mean have you tried explaining it to someone who has never seen the game before? Where do you start? But, pokemon. It's the same game it was when it started except now a days as soon as one season ends you have to go and buy the new seasons packs and scrap your old deck because new cards just greatly overpower it. Take a look at elvolving a pokemon. You don't even see that in decks anymore. They've all been replaced with overpowered basic, or EX pokemon.
Yugioh is way more stategic and fun to play if you like strategy games. It's sort of like comparing chess to checkers. One is a bit more complicated for the average person, and the other is a bit simple. Both great games, you just have to decide if you're the easy victory type of person or ou like to use strategy and experience to bring down an opponent.
Also, you can look at the TV shows. The pokemon tcg was thrown together on hopes to raise the franchises popularity where as the yugioh tcg got so popular that they had to make a show about it. In order for this to happen you know it has to be a pretty good tcg to do that.