gabep
cha-the-politician

The Porsche Cayman is Superior to the Chevrolet Corvette

Started: 4/14/2015 Category: Cars

gabep

Pro

I believe the Porsche Cayman is better than the Chevrolet Corvette.
A 50k car shootout. No high-performance editions like the GT4 or the Z06.

Format:
First Round is acceptance only.
Second round is for arguing your main point.
Third round is for a rebuttal.

Rules:
1.No forfeiting.
2.Keep it clean. No swearing or insults.
3.This is on which is a better car overall, not just on performance (although that can be used as a point).

Good Luck!
cha-the-politician

Con

I accept. I will focus mainly on performance though.
gabep

Pro

Both are great sports cars for the money. However, I am arguing that the Cayman is the more fun driver's car. It's mid-engine configuration makes it exceptionally balanced. The Porsche is also lighter - 2,888 pounds, versus the Corvette's 3,298 pounds. While neither of these are exactly heavy - the Mustang GT weighs 3,530 pounds - the Cayman should still be able to outmaneuver the Corvette. The Cayman's refinement also allows for it to be used as a daily driver. In the past, the Corvette has had issues with build quality. While the latest C7 generation is better in this aspect, the Corvette still can not match the Cayman in terms of overall comfort. I think that the Cayman is balanced (get it?) in the way that it has refinement, but is still an extremely fun car.
cha-the-politician

Con

Thank you pro.

You are arguing that it is more of a driver's car because of it's weight and mid engine configuration. However, the Corvette is far from behind in handling. GMauthority tested 1.03g of lateral acceleration. That is only .01 g less than the Porche's score of 1.04g. The Corvette also only uses 3.8 secs while the Porsche took an 5.4 seconds. So the Corvette, although heavier is much faster in acceleration and almost matching handling. Refinement is very subjective but I believe that Corvette is a comfortable car too. The Corvette has a Napa Leather interior and a hand stretched leather-wrapped instrument panel starting at 3LS which, if you ask me, is rather luxurious. Even if you do not choose 3LS, you will still get a hand wrapped leather steering wheel. The magnetic ride control combined with an adjustable suspension really does make the Corvette quite comfortable to sit in. It also comes with mylink which does not come standard in the Porsche. Also, the Corvette comes with 5 different selectable modes four well suited response under all situations, the Cayman only offers a sport mode with an additional fee. Also, the automatic in the 'vette shifts faster than the Porsche PDK.
gabep

Pro

The Cayman is usually the benchmark for fun, balanced cars. When the engineers at Subaru and Toyota were creating the GT-86 and its relatives, the FR-S and the BRZ, they tested their cars against the Porsche Cayman. Why? The engineers wanted to make a fun, balanced car. This solidifies the Cayman's reputation as the premium lightweight sports car. Whenever a new, fun car is released, such as the Alfa Romeo 4C, car journalists always compare it to the Cayman. It is just that good.

Now, some nitpicks that may or may not matter:
The opponent said that from the Corvette took 3.8 seconds, and the Cayman took 5.4 seconds. He did not actually say that it was the 0-60 time, which it was. Just a bit confusing.
The source that he used for the lateral acceleration figures was a site specifically for GM cars. An impartial source would have been better.
The opponent stated that the Corvette's automatic shifted faster than the Cayman's PDK. However, since my argument is based on how fun the Cayman is, that fact is irrelevant to me. Shifting through the gears on a manual is definitely more rewarding than letting an automatic do it.
The opponent added an optional package to the Corvette. I believe that we are arguing base models only.

Power and straight-line performance is not the point of the Cayman. The Cayman is, rather, a beauty around the corners. While the Corvette is better in a straight line, the Cayman is not exactly underpowered. 275 horsepower from the base 2.7 liter engine is more than enough for fun, twisting roads and for cutting through people-carriers in traffic.
Thank you, con, for participating, and thanks to the voters.
cha-the-politician

Con

Pro failed to provide evidence that it was tested against the GT(FT) 86 and also failed to prove how that makes it better than the Corvette.

I do know that the Cayman is supposed to be faster through corners, however, as I have stated, only generates 0.01 more lateral g at maximum through the corners. Even the Subaru WRX STI, which is only around half the price of the cayman, has more horsepower than it. Although I don't think that is a concern since the Porsche is lighter, it is still a point worth noticing. Thank you Pro for giving me such a wonderful debate.
Posted by krayracker 2 years ago
krayracker
Very interesting debate...
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
Here it is: the BRZ was benchmarked against the Cayman.
I know it is a bit late for this. Just in case you were interested.
http://www.autocar.co.uk...
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
Overall, which car is better? That does include safety, reliability, and comfort. I did say that performance CAN be used as a factor.
Posted by cha-the-politician 2 years ago
cha-the-politician
What do you mean by overall? Like safety too? And reliability? And comfortability? I think we should just stick with performance, maybe you mean not only speed, also handling and acceleration. I don't get it.
cha-the-politician
They are performance cars though!