FunkeeMonk91
esmith1617

The Post-Grunge Genre Killed Rock Music

Con Tied Pro

FunkeeMonk91

Con

Many people think that post-grunge killed rock music. They claim that it was started by corporate labels as a means to attract the mainstream public, but I think that this is an invalid point. Although rock music has been on the decline in recent years, post-grunge did not kill rock music.

Note: Check out the wikipedia article "post-grunge" for examples of bands if you're not sure.
esmith1617

Pro

"Many people think that post-grunge killed rock music. They claim that it was started by corporate labels as a means to attract the mainstream public, but I think that this is an invalid point. Although rock music has been on the decline in recent years, post-grunge did not kill rock music.

Note: Check out the wikipedia article "post-grunge" for examples of bands if you're not sure."

I disagree with a lot of what you have to say here. Grunge music itself what started by corporate labels as a means to attract the mainstream public. Even Kurt Cobain admits that he just prepackaged a sound that had been captured by bands like Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, Big Black and a bunch of other bands from the 80s. What he did differently is he used simple pop hooks. Sonic Youth was responsible for getting Nirvana signed in the first place. There was nothing groundbreaking about Nirvana. He just wrote some fun songs, nothing more.

Post-grunge does not even exist. Why do you need to label something as post-something? $hitty bands like the Chilli Peppers have nothing to do with Nirvana.

Maybe im debating you on something different. Im just tired of all these posers who listen to terrible music and would love to take on anyone and everyone when it comes to this subject.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

Well, all music is made to attract the public; that's how labels make money. But I was just saying what people that agree with my topic would say. By saying that grunge was started by corporate labels, you are only supporting my contention. Your stance is for the stated topic.

And yes, Nirvana would be nothing without the great bands you mentioned. But again, not only is that totally irrelevant, but it doesn't help your case at all.

Plus, why are you so fixated on Nirvana? They were not the only grunge band, nor the first. As you said, they weren't ground breaking, they were just fun to listen to. But that is not what we are debating about. We're talking about whether post-grunge killed rock music.

Post-grunge did exist. It's the kind of music like Foo Fighters, Blur, and Bush. They are cleaner, simpler, songs that are written around hooks. Post-grunge is a real genre, but not one that killed rock music, as your contention would state.

Your third paragraph is total nonsense. First, you have no idea what music I listen to. And second, that doesn't even matter. You didn't address the topic nor my points. Unless you change that, you lose.

P.S. RHCP kicks a**. Probably one of the best bands of the 90s. But that is a total different debate.
esmith1617

Pro

"Post-grunge did exist. It's the kind of music like Foo Fighters, Blur, and Bush. They are cleaner, simpler, songs that are written around hooks. Post-grunge is a real genre, but not one that killed rock music, as your contention would state."

Post Grunge was made up by somebody on Wikipedia who intended to screw with you. It simply does not exist. Grunge itself couldnt get much simpler and written around hooks. Have you heard of the Vaselines? They are the simplest pop band ever and were a huge influence on Cobains songwriting style. He even said that he just mixed the pop grooves of the Vaselines with the indie rock sounds from the 80s.

You say Cobain wasnt the only Grunge band. He was however the most important one. Anyone else who called themselves "Grunge" was just latching on. This includes incredibly generic music like Pearl Jam and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I have thrown my "contention" out the window. Frankly I just think your an idiot and want to make you mad. Please vote for him it wont make him any less embarrassing walking around school with his cliche rock tshirts.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

No post grunge is a legitimate genre. I just used wikipeida as a source. Every artistic movement is a response to the previous one. Post-grunge was a response to grunge. It kept the same apathetic attitude, but making it more radio-friendly. That's a fact.

Again, you bring up Cobain. He has nothing to do with this debate. This is about the music after the grunge scene ended. You have yet to address the topic.

Actually, Nirvana was not the most important, but merely the most popular. Bands like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins were not "latching on." I doubt you've ever stopped to listen to them, but they are totally different than Nirvana. They couldn't have been copying Nirvana, since their styles are very distinct from one another.

Also, Cobain wasn't a band. Nirvana was.

You never had a contention to throw out. If you think I'm an idiot, why didn't you debate. All you did was prove your lack of knowledge of music. If your such a bad a$$, then grow a pair and debate me.
esmith1617

Pro

Post Grunge isnt a distinct genre. Nobody has heard of it. People like you ruin music for the rest of us by trying to come up with random categorizations. Just enjoy music for what it is and stop trying to sound like you know anything. And the smashing pumpkins suck they r the most boring band ever. If you want to listen to some good tunes from the 90's check out Pavement. They r way more interesting musically.

I know I lost this debate and I am glad. Anything to make you mad you friggin idiot.
Posted by crushilista 8 years ago
crushilista
Kurt Cobain admitted a ton of things that made him look bad, he was self loathing.
Posted by Off_the_Wall.Paul 9 years ago
Off_the_Wall.Paul
Anyone who claims the Chili Peppers suck knows nothing about funky music.
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
umm...not really. especially on the internet. on the internet, it's pointless. he'll just enjoy the argument while you get all hopped up about nothing. i'd be all for telling him off in real life, but not on the internet. it's meaningless on here.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Good point. But somebody's gotta tell guys like him off.
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
so act like an adult and ignore him.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
I didn't say I did. But the way that he is going about this debate is pathetic. He's acting like a little kid.
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
no one gives ashit if you know more about music than the other guy.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
I'm 17. Which is pathetic because you are 11 years older, but I'm more mature/intelligent than you.
Posted by esmith1617 9 years ago
esmith1617
iv been in signed bands. how old r u?
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
I'll start by torturing you though, slowly.... mwahaha!
Vote Placed by MrHardRock 7 years ago
MrHardRock
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied
Vote Placed by dls771737 9 years ago
dls771737
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied
Vote Placed by Off_the_Wall.Paul 9 years ago
Off_the_Wall.Paul
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied
Vote Placed by esmith1617 9 years ago
esmith1617
FunkeeMonk91esmith1617Tied