Jayr867
Cowboy0108

The Principle of separation of church and state has been overemphasized.

Jayr867

Con

I will let my opponent begin the debate. Thank you.
Cowboy0108

Pro

I understand the principles behind this idea. I like these principles. I do not want religious leaders to be the leaders of my country; however, I do want religious views to be represented in decisions and also be taken into consideration in schools. Allow me to elaborate.
When a majority Christian population elects a leader, who is also Christian, I would expect that leader to take into consideration the religious views of the population he was elected by. For example, I would think that it would be okay to have religious reasons for opposing gay marriage or abortion since you are representing people who have that religion. Overall, I do not like politicians pulling the separation of church and state argument when a politician gives a religious argument for opposing something they want passed. I do not know if you could follow that, I'll elaborate in later rounds if you need me to.
Now for education. I do not support teaching Creationism in schools. However, I equally do not support teaching evolution in schools. I believe that the evolutionists and creationists should be taken into consideration for learning about science. Creationism should not be taught because it may go against evolutionist beliefs and evolution should not be taught because it goes against creationist beliefs. The state seems to think that it is violating separation of church and state if they try this but not doing this actually violates the first amendment.

One final thing. No where in the constitution does it say the words, "separation of church and state." It says that congress shall make no law that establishes a religion in the nation and it cannot have laws that limit the free practice of religion. (this is just my paraphrase, look it up if you want exact wording) The principles of separation of church and state are just what Thomas Jefferson said and are not actually in the constitution.
Jayr867

Con

Jayr867 forfeited this round.
Cowboy0108

Pro

Cowboy0108 forfeited this round.
Jayr867

Con

Jayr867 forfeited this round.
Cowboy0108

Pro

Cowboy0108 forfeited this round.
Jayr867

Con

Jayr867 forfeited this round.
Cowboy0108

Pro

Cowboy0108 forfeited this round.